• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cellphone plan

yuling

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to go in later May 2017
Does anybody know a reasonal priced cellphone plan to cover internal calls and daily data usage in France ( a few day ) and Spain for my upcomping camino ? Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The best cell phone plan is not to take one IMO :)

As a more serious answer, its going to be tough to find a cheap european plan that will work in France AND Spain. You might be best to use your american plan in france (as little as humanly possible because of cost) until you cross the border.

If you phone is "unlocked" you can get a Spanish sim card for around 10 euros that gives you 3-4 hours of voice and 2-4 GB of data. Then you can add minutes or data as needed.

Does anybody know a reasonal priced cellphone plan to cover internal calls and daily data usage in France ( a few day ) and Spain for my upcomping camino ? Thanks!

When are you going and where are you from?
From June 15th there will be no roaming charges within the EU. Well that's the plan anyway. So if you buy a sim in France it should work without roaming charges in Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When are you going and where are you from?
From June 15th there will be no roaming charges within the EU. Well that's the plan anyway. So if you buy a sim in France it should work without roaming charges in Spain.
I will come from Canada on May 18th and leave Spain on June 26th.

Could you not arrange to use something like Whatsapp ? Anywhere that has WiFi will give
you "free" messaging. I hardly ever used my SIM card for texting. I appreciate this doesn't
allow you to make calls.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I second the idea to use you US plan with roaming for the few days you'll be in Franc

I am on the CF right now and finding that WiFi access is pretty temperamental in most of the albergues. They often have a small zone in a public area where the signal is sufficient. This makes it less than ideal for personal voip calls such as WhatsApp or FaceTime.

Also, a strong WiFi signal doesn't guarantee high bandwidth. Their domestic plans & equipment can get swamped in the commercial environment of a busy albergue.

At the moment I'm posting this via a Vodafone SIM card in my iPhone from the dormitory of a private alburgue.

Hope this helps

-jgp

Make sure your phone is unlocked......very important before you leave. Otherwise it will not work with the Spanish SIM card you buy in Pamplona. In Canada, your phone will be locked if you got it on a plan from RoBelUs. If you've had it for a while, or bought it up front, they will unlock it via a code if you ask (and sometimes pay!) for it. Test it before you leave by putting a SIM in your phone that you borrowed for a minute from a friend who has a phone from a different carrier.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Be wary of any advice you receive from people who have not been in Europe/Spain in the past 3 or 4 months. Things are changing due to security concerns and getting a new Simcard requires a passport presentation at the very least. Yes, your phone must be unlocked and the knowledge of how to insert the card is important with some phones. Like Rick says make an international call and try out a text message with a photo before you leave the shop. I tried to use Vodafone in March but when I wanted to recharge online was told I could only do that with a Spanish credit card. I am a loyal Orange user in France and never had a problem with them in Spain, I am also a T Mobile user in the US and may use them during my upcoming Caminos just to avoid hassles.

I was able to use a Chinese sim card in my locked Verizon android phone a few years ago. However, if I had been in an area serviced by Verizon it would not have worked.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Check out WhatsApp.( like a few have recommended ) See how much you can get out of it & then go with a SIM card if needed.

I used wifi for my tablet from St Jean to Pamplona. Purchased a sim card at the Orange store. So glad I got the sim card. While many places have wifi, it was often weak, possibly because of the number of people were using it. The sim from Orange worked well everywhere for e-mail, posting to FB, Skype calls for making albergue, reservations, and face time with my husband. It also left the wifi more available for those who needed to rely on it.

I travel back and forth from Germany to Spain for a few months at a time and have found for me the orange pay as you go sim works the best.
Cost 10 Euro from any Orange Outlet in Spain.
You can top up the sim over the internet whenever you need and also change the plan from Data to Calls or a mix of both.
I think if you ask at Orange to go on the Ardilla plan. You only pay for what you need / what you use and coverage is now much improved.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My last Camino I used Rogers Roam like Home. It was $10 a day to a max of $100 per billing cycle and I had my Canadian plan in France and Spain. It was amazing!!! However, much more expensive than a SIM in Spain.

I would look at a DATA only Sim from Orange, and use apps for the phone service (WhatsApp or Skype or others).
But the need for a Spanish credit card when reloading might be an issue, unless they have prepaid Visa cards like we do over here.

I am a tech geek who used my phone constantly, so the $10 a day worth it to me. (Edit: I was just reminded I didn't pay the bill. As I took my work email with me, my company paid the $100 a month)

My last Camino I used Rogers Roam like Home. It was $10 a day to a max of $100 per billing cycle and I had my Canadian plan in France and Spain. It was amazing!!! However, much more expensive than a SIM in Spain.

I would look at a DATA only Sim from Orange, and use apps for the phone service (WhatsApp or Skype or others).
But the need for a Spanish credit card when reloading might be an issue, unless they have prepaid Visa cards like we do over here.

I am a tech geek who used my phone constantly, so the $10 a day worth it to me. (Edit: I was just reminded I didn't pay the bill. As I took my work email with me, my company paid the $100 a month)
Haha. That is different -:) . I hope i can get a sim card from Orange at Paris internatinal airport ?

I will come from Canada on May 18th and leave Spain on June 26th.

Cool..My trip to CF is May 19th - June 26th.
I am told that Vodadfone has good deals with SIM cards

Can someone comment on process/availability for charging the phone/camera?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

You could opt for the Ballena plan which is also 10 euro for 1 GB data sim and you can switch back to calls only when you need works with wattts app skype etc

Could you not arrange to use something like Whatsapp ? Anywhere that has WiFi will give
you "free" messaging. I hardly ever used my SIM card for texting. I appreciate this doesn't
allow you to make calls.
What's App is great. I use it regularly to make audio calls

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I saw this thread and thought I should shut up but here goes:
Getting a Simcard in France and Spain is a total pain in the ass these days due to security concerns. You have to go to a carrier's shop and present your passport, etc.
I regularly use Orange when I live France and they have now moved most of their shops to suburban shopping center to attract younger users because most of their regular users already have a phone and either recharge on line or recharge their phone with a stop in at news agent. The news agents don't sell Simcards.
Last March I got a new Simcard and monthly plan from Vodafone in Madrid and found out when I wanted to renew my minutes it required a stop at a news agent or a Spanish credit card. I was in a remote local and when I tried to renew it with my credit card I was told I had no Spanish phone number because my original purchase was with a French Visa card. They only accept Spanish credit cards.
Beware of what you buy!

My solution is to use T-Mobile, with their free unlimited worldwide data. (I'm in the US) It enables me to use my maps and internet, and I can make practically free calls using the Viber app to cellphones and landlines in Spain and back home. I also have unlimited texting to and from US numbers.

Be wary of any advice you receive from people who have not been in Europe/Spain in the past 3 or 4 months. Things are changing due to security concerns and getting a new Simcard requires a passport presentation at the very least. Yes, your phone must be unlocked and the knowledge of how to insert the card is important with some phones. Like Rick says make an international call and try out a text message with a photo before you leave the shop. I tried to use Vodafone in March but when I wanted to recharge online was told I could only do that with a Spanish credit card. I am a loyal Orange user in France and never had a problem with them in Spain, I am also a T Mobile user in the US and may use them during my upcoming Caminos just to avoid hassles.
Needing a passport for a SIM card has always been true but it's still really easy to get one. Not a problem at all really.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just came back to Canada after walking VdLP, bought my Spanish SIM card in Seville with Vodafone 15 euros 2G data 10 (or 100 hours talk time, can't remember) a month. You could recharge at most supermercado or gas stations if needed for more than a month. Really convenient not to have to rely on wifi.
Buen Camino!

I have used "onesim card" since 2014 on Camino and all over Europe. Strong signal ( piggy backs on best local signal) and data and phone rates are comp

I finished the Camino France today. FWIW-- I switched to Google FI before I left the US. Free messaging, cheap calls and 10 dollars a gig data anywhere. It worked perfectly signal almost all the time. That and a couple of Camino apps really helped me. I did not take a book or a map.

Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I finished the Camino France today. FWIW-- I switched to Google FI before I left the US. Free messaging, cheap calls and 10 dollars a gig data anywhere. It worked perfectly signal almost all the time. That and a couple of Camino apps really helped me. I did not take a book or a map.

Buen Camino.
Congratulations on your walk. We are doing the Camino in Sept - Oct. What is Google FI? What Camino apps did you find helpful?

Buen Camino.
That's good to hear. I've been curious about how Project Fi worked in Europe. My son uses it, and I've been thinking about switching

I'm using Google's Project Fi. I got it after our trip to Spain but I used it in New Zealand a few months ago. Pretty much as soon as we landed in Auckland I tried to call, with no luck. Then a minute later the phone gave me a notification "Welcome to New Zealand" and the time and date were changed for me. I called again then and it went through. Data was as cheap as at home and I didn't need it when connected to wifi (but that was a bit troublesome as usually the connections had to be made by going through a website.) Connections made by selecting a router name and then entering a password (like done almost everywhere on camino with our tablet) worked like a charm. We were charged 20 cents a minute for both local and international calls when connected through cellular instead of wifi. Internationally I liked the way it worked but at home there can be a problem getting a signal in rural areas as cellular coverage is through T-Mobile and Sprint and their coverage is mainly in cities and along the interstates. But Peg's flip-phone has coverage by AT&T so we are OK in an emergency.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations on your walk. We are doing the Camino in Sept - Oct. What is Google FI? What Camino apps did you find helpful?
The apps I used were Camino Companion 90 percent and Trek right 10 per cent to get trail description. Having GPS saved me a couple times when I missed an arrow. I know the early pilgrims did not have GPS but they did not have hi tech shoes and lightweight gear either. I had a great Camino. BTW. The other thing that worked good was taking a small portable battery. I charged the battery at night and charged my phone from it all day in my pocket. I always had a charge and never had to leave my phone unattended. Buen Camino.

We were charged 20 cents a minute for both local and international calls when connected through cellular instead of wifi.

I use the Viber app to make calls for only 2 cents a minute using wifi or my free cellular data. The call quality has been excellent.
And actually, since I participate in Google Opinion Rewards my calls are virtually free because I use the Google credits I earn by answering 15 second surveys to buy Viber credit.

Data was as cheap as at home and I didn't need it when connected to wifi (but that was a bit troublesome as usually the connections had to be made by going through a website.)
@Rick of Rick and Peg What exactly do you mean by this? You had to set up cellular data by going to a website? It didn't automatically connect you?

@Rick of Rick and Peg What exactly do you mean by this? You had to set up cellular data by going to a website? It didn't automatically connect you?

First let me say for those unfamiliar with the wifi (weefee) on the caminos you could get free wifi easily at albergues and bars. In all cases that I remember I would just go to Settings -> Wifi and select a router and login there with a password. Then I was connected for web browsing, email, etc. It was always very simple.

As I wrote a little earlier Project Fi automatically connected me to a cellular network in New Zealand after a few minutes in the terminal. The cellular aspect of the phone (both voice and data) worked fine whenever I was in range of a signal.

The problem I had in NZ (and it may have been just me having the problem due to inexperience) was connecting to the free wifi at lodgings. I would go to Setting -> Wifi and select the lodging's router from the list of connections. I would then be asked to go to a website to login with information the service desk had provided me. This didn't seem to work for me most times. One reason they went this route was to have the website regulate the connect time (usually the lodgings only gave me an hour or two of free time.) Rather than going back to the desk to get things worked out I would just revert to cellular data as it was cheap enough to do the little I wanted to do anyway. By the way, there were booths scattered across the country by a couple internet providers where you could connect to wifi in a manner like this.

Although Google charges $10 per gb of data, in effect you are just paying 1 cent per mb. If you go over the amount of data you signed up for you are charged that 1 cent rate for any overage. If you don't use the amount you signed up for you have the underage discounted from the next bill.

First let me say for those unfamiliar with the wifi (weefee) on the caminos you could get free wifi easily at albergues and bars. In all cases that I remember I would just go to Settings -> Wifi and select a router and login there with a password. Then I was connected for web browsing, email, etc. It was always very simple.

As I wrote a little earlier Project Fi automatically connected me to a cellular network in New Zealand after a few minutes in the terminal. The cellular aspect of the phone (both voice and data) worked fine whenever I was in range of a signal.

The problem I had in NZ (and it may have been just me having the problem due to inexperience) was connecting to the free wifi at lodgings. I would go to Setting -> Wifi and select the lodging's router from the list of connections. I would then be asked to go to a website to login with information the service desk had provided me. This didn't seem to work for me most times. One reason they went this route was to have the website regulate the connect time (usually the lodgings only gave me an hour or two of free time.) Rather than going back to the desk to get things worked out I would just revert to cellular data as it was cheap enough to do the little I wanted to do anyway. By the way, there were booths scattered across the country by a couple internet providers where you could connect to wifi in a manner like this.

Although Google charges $10 per gb of data, in effect you are just paying 1 cent per mb. If you go over the amount of data you signed up for you are charged that 1 cent rate for any overage. If you don't use the amount you signed up for you have the underage discounted from the next bill.
I understand. That's how it generally works in hotels, airports, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back