A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Cellular carrier

2020 Camino Guides

dnaleonard

Camino(s) past & future
One Camino Or The Other (Feb/March 2020)
Do you have a go to carrier for SIM card in Spain? I have installed quite a few apps after reading through these forums!

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I use T-Mobile in the US, and when I travel abroad my plan still includes unlimited data, and unlimited texting to/from US numbers. For phone calls I use apps to make free or low cost calls.

Another US cell provider - Google Fi, has a similar plan.

It makes it so easy. When I land in Spain I get a "welcome to Spain" text from T-Mobile. They are usually trying to sell me some package with a bit faster data speeds, but I have never had a problem with using what I already have.

I know that doesn't answer your exact question, but it is an excellent option for those in the US who travel abroad.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
I have Sprint.

Instead of seeing Sprint displayed on my phone whilst in Spain the mobile carrier was Movistar.

Before, I left the airport, I received a “Welcome to Spain” message from Sprint. The message spelled out calling and text options and attendant prices.

I was able to call folks back home without any problems; just as if I were in the States. I phoned albergues, hostals, other pilgrims, at no additional cost to my monthly plan.

Five years ago and beyond I needed either SIM or calling cards: no more need.

If your carrier does not have this “free” option. You can use WhatsApp, or Google Duo, or FaceTime with no expense added to your bill.

Buen camino.

Robo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF last 150 to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)
I usually use Vodafone, but they always seem slow.........

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
I have used Vodafone and Orange. I think Orange has a slightly better plan for a month. They are both 20 Euros. Orange gives you more data, Vodafone gives you more minutes. I would rather have the data. Vodafone does have more stores if you are going to be on a camino for more than a month. I use wattsapp or FaceTime to call the my family.

dnaleonard

Camino(s) past & future
I was not thinking about switching my US plan but that may be the most worry free. I think I will switch to Tmobile for the unlimited data. I do have whatsapp for calls. Thank you all for your responses!

dnaleonard

Camino(s) past & future
I use T-Mobile in the US, and when I travel abroad my plan still includes unlimited data, and unlimited texting to/from US numbers. For phone calls I use apps to make free or low cost calls.

Another US cell provider - Google Fi, has a similar plan.

It makes it so easy. When I land in Spain I get a "welcome to Spain" text from T-Mobile. They are usually trying to sell me some package with a bit faster data speeds, but I have never had a problem with using what I already have.

I know that doesn't answer your exact question, but it is an excellent option for those in the US who travel abroad.
I am so glad you wrote this. Verizon picks right up wherever I travel but it charges $10 a day. I was not even considering a different US carrier. Thanks!

Teresa Yoon

Camino(s) past & future
I went to camino Franch way in 2012, and I am planning to go Portuguese way in May, 2016 to Camino - Finisterre - Muxia.
I used Vodafone and Orange. I liked both services. Use sim card is much easier to use in Spain and resonable price rather than use my Verizon. Does any one know that I can buy sim card at Madrid Airport? I plan to walk the Norte in middle of April 2020.

cbacino

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte - Primitivo (2018)
Via Francigena (2017)
Appalachian Trail (2016)
Do you have a go to carrier for SIM card in Spain? I have installed quite a few apps after reading through these forums!
I bought an Orange SIM card with data in Paris, where I started my Camino. Worked like a charm in France and Spain.

bobbogram

Camino(s) past & future
El Norte San Sebastián to Santiago; Portuguese Lisbon to Porto; Porto to Santiago; Geneva west
I’ve used AT&T the last five years on hikes - Portugal, Spain, France, Australia, New Zealand, Scotland (no hike), Ireland (no hike), Istanbul (no hike), Oman (no hike). Their web page offers several plans, most places unlimited text, cheap calls, use your home data plan allowance for $10/day. It’s reliable service for communications and security and planning when WIFI isn’t available.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
I used Vodafone and Orange. I liked both services. Use sim card is much easier to use in Spain and resonable price rather than use my Verizon. Does any one know that I can buy sim card at Madrid Airport? I plan to walk the Norte in middle of April 2020.
I have heard some bad things about buying a SIM card at the Madrid airport. My recommendation would be to go to either a Vodafone or an Orange office and do it there when you are in Madrid. I think it will be alot easier the way.

Teresa Yoon

Camino(s) past & future
I went to camino Franch way in 2012, and I am planning to go Portuguese way in May, 2016 to Camino - Finisterre - Muxia.
Thank you It56ny for your kind response. My problem is: I need to go to San Sebastian via plane upon my arrival at Madrid airport; then, I will walk to Irun. Do you know is there any cell phone store in Irun?

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 309 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 353 28.4%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock