• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cellular carrier

dnaleonard

Time of past OR future Camino
One Camino Or The Other (Feb/March 2020)
Do you have a go to carrier for SIM card in Spain? I have installed quite a few apps after reading through these forums!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use T-Mobile in the US, and when I travel abroad my plan still includes unlimited data, and unlimited texting to/from US numbers. For phone calls I use apps to make free or low cost calls.

Another US cell provider - Google Fi, has a similar plan.

It makes it so easy. When I land in Spain I get a "welcome to Spain" text from T-Mobile. They are usually trying to sell me some package with a bit faster data speeds, but I have never had a problem with using what I already have.

I know that doesn't answer your exact question, but it is an excellent option for those in the US who travel abroad.

I have Sprint.

Instead of seeing Sprint displayed on my phone whilst in Spain the mobile carrier was Movistar.

Before, I left the airport, I received a “Welcome to Spain” message from Sprint. The message spelled out calling and text options and attendant prices.

I was able to call folks back home without any problems; just as if I were in the States. I phoned albergues, hostals, other pilgrims, at no additional cost to my monthly plan.

Five years ago and beyond I needed either SIM or calling cards: no more need.

If your carrier does not have this “free” option. You can use WhatsApp, or Google Duo, or FaceTime with no expense added to your bill.

Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have used Vodafone and Orange. I think Orange has a slightly better plan for a month. They are both 20 Euros. Orange gives you more data, Vodafone gives you more minutes. I would rather have the data. Vodafone does have more stores if you are going to be on a camino for more than a month. I use wattsapp or FaceTime to call the my family.

I was not thinking about switching my US plan but that may be the most worry free. I think I will switch to Tmobile for the unlimited data. I do have whatsapp for calls. Thank you all for your responses!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use T-Mobile in the US, and when I travel abroad my plan still includes unlimited data, and unlimited texting to/from US numbers. For phone calls I use apps to make free or low cost calls.

Another US cell provider - Google Fi, has a similar plan.

It makes it so easy. When I land in Spain I get a "welcome to Spain" text from T-Mobile. They are usually trying to sell me some package with a bit faster data speeds, but I have never had a problem with using what I already have.

I know that doesn't answer your exact question, but it is an excellent option for those in the US who travel abroad.
I am so glad you wrote this. Verizon picks right up wherever I travel but it charges $10 a day. I was not even considering a different US carrier. Thanks!

I used Vodafone and Orange. I liked both services. Use sim card is much easier to use in Spain and resonable price rather than use my Verizon. Does any one know that I can buy sim card at Madrid Airport? I plan to walk the Norte in middle of April 2020.

Do you have a go to carrier for SIM card in Spain? I have installed quite a few apps after reading through these forums!
I bought an Orange SIM card with data in Paris, where I started my Camino. Worked like a charm in France and Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’ve used AT&T the last five years on hikes - Portugal, Spain, France, Australia, New Zealand, Scotland (no hike), Ireland (no hike), Istanbul (no hike), Oman (no hike). Their web page offers several plans, most places unlimited text, cheap calls, use your home data plan allowance for $10/day. It’s reliable service for communications and security and planning when WIFI isn’t available.

I used Vodafone and Orange. I liked both services. Use sim card is much easier to use in Spain and resonable price rather than use my Verizon. Does any one know that I can buy sim card at Madrid Airport? I plan to walk the Norte in middle of April 2020.
I have heard some bad things about buying a SIM card at the Madrid airport. My recommendation would be to go to either a Vodafone or an Orange office and do it there when you are in Madrid. I think it will be alot easier the way.

Thank you It56ny for your kind response. My problem is: I need to go to San Sebastian via plane upon my arrival at Madrid airport; then, I will walk to Irun. Do you know is there any cell phone store in Irun?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.