• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cellular internet

tomerbella

Time of past OR future Camino
sep-oct 2013
hey there!

probably most of you won't carry cell phones but does anyone had any experience or knows what is the best way to get cellular internet for smartphones (iPhone 5 in my case)?
i was thinking on buying a local spanish/french sim-card...

Best regards!

Tomer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a Spanish SIM chip. Your first opportunity will be Pamplona. At least AT&T offers international Internet for about $30 for two weeks. That is more than Vodafone, but works in France and Spain.

I have the same interest Tomer, iPhone 5, will look for a Spanish carrier prepaid nano sim.
Jim

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The best I could find last month was with Movistar (Tuenti Movil).
Best 3G coverage in Spain at 6 Euros for the SIM and 5 Euros for 1Gb, good for one month.
Prepaid card rechargeable any time at 5 Euros a shot. Data only.

mustbjones said:
Canuck,

Did you find your Movistar SIM before you left home?

No! I bought the SIM at the first Movistar shop I saw entering Tres Cantos on the Camino de Madrid.
It takes 10 minutes to get it and set it up on your phone.
You'll need your passport. The clerk will take care of the rest.
At the time, no other shops (Vodafone and others) were offering any kind of prepaid plan.
I used it every day on the Camino de Madrid, the Camino de Baztan and the Camino Vasco del Interior and was never out of coverage.
Total cost for 35 days of usage: 16 Euros.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am planning to take my smartphone, but I plan to just buy a small international calling plan with my regular carrier - for emergency only - and then rely on finding wifi for internet stuff. I am sure I will want to upload some pics to Facebook along the way or whatever, and then I will want to make hotel reservations for when I finish the Camino. But I actually don't want to have a data plan so that I am not tempted to always be connected - this way, if an emergency arrises, I can make a call and if I want to be on the internet, I will have to wait until I am someplace with wifi.

November-moon,
That's exactly what I did. I never took my phone off airplane mode, so as not to be surprised by unexpected charges-- got a skype account for calling and a whats app for international texting. The thing that didn't work for me was the (for emergency) calling plan through Verizon. I didn't have an emergency, but tried to use it once (had to take phone off "airplane") and never got a connection. I stayed in only one town that didn't have wifi-- the middle of nowhere is something else though. My attitude was that I am on a pilgrimage-- which to me wasn't about communicating with the outside world. That being said, I loved being able to connect back home here and there along the path. Katherine

My husband is helping me to figure this out.I swear you need a PhD in I don't know what, to get it straight. We were on speaker phone with a Sprint person for 45 minutes taking copious notes on what and how to turn options off. She was incredibly helpful and patient. You don't want to run the risk of unwanted data coming through and subsequent charges. I guess each carrier plan is different as is each smartphone. Trying not to buy a phone and card in Spain, and just stick with my iPhone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Phillypilgrim,
We might be in tune with this.
Given I've only just mastered texting and phones without cables going into a wall - I really struggle with all this techno stuff. Hope there are postcards I can send home. :wink:

Hi,
One might want to check out http://www.holidayphone.com/

I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it might be a good alternative to running around spain looking for a pre paid sim-card.

The prices seem reasonable, at least for sweden.

The positive is that they send you the sim-card beforehand to your home and they forward all your calls to your regular number to your spanish number in the specified time. So your friends and family would not know the difference. However texts/sms will not be forwarded so tell them to use whatsapp or equivalent.

Check the specifications of the basic package if you need more data or more forward-time. Depends on how many hours you plan on talking on the phone and how many pictures you want to upload to facebook or whatever... :)

Like I said... haven't tried it... probably will. Starting my first camino september 2nd.

buen camino :D
/magnus

Buy a local Spanish SIM card from a locutorio or tabacos store, they'll have the device to cut it to a Nano-SIM, if you can find this one http://tiendamoviles.tuenti.com/tarjeta-sim-prepago?d=1 it only costs 12euros and will be the proper size for the iPhone 5, just install and you'll be in business. El Corte Ingles (in the electronics section) in the major cities will have SIM cards for all phone carriers available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
With these comments...can you tell me if my BWI/Turks and Caicos Phone/Sim Card will work in Spain. I just remembered about it. I have my iphone for internet to keep tabs of my elderly parents. But that would be great if I can use my Island phone for calls if needed...I'll load it up!
Thank you,
Cindi

if my BWI/Turks and Caicos Phone/Sim Card will work in Spain
It is doubtful. If it does work, there will be large roaming charges. ATT service can be expanded to international for $30 per month. Perhaps your phone service can do the same. If your iPhone is unlocked, you can buy a SIM chip in Spain and get phone and internet service for about 20E per month, though international calls will be expensive.

Perfect. Yes, my Island iphone is unlocked. I will do that. I've got all the regulars hooked up for internet if needed. Skype, Facetime and What'sApp...LOL But frankly, I don't plan on doing much new age communicating. Thank you :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Follow everyone's advice and purchase a Spanish SIM card when you arrive in country. It's cheap, easy to install (and uninstall when you leave, just put your original in a very safe place) and will allow you to make calls in country for a low rate.
Kathy

But frankly, I don't plan on doing much new age communicating.
My thoughts exactly. Some purists make it sound as though you cannot turn off modern technology, so weigh in against taking devices. I say, take it and ignore it!;)

There are two things that I'm avoiding thinking about: getting to and from the camino, and figuring out the phone thing. While I do see the value in being "disconnected", I've promised both my husband and my mom that I'll try to send them a photo via email every few days. I'm *hoping* that I'll be able to do this with wi-fi and not need to worry about sim cards.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a lot of WiFi, pronounced wee-fee. You will have to ask for the password in most places; contrasena in Spanish.

I'm *hoping* that I'll be able to do this with wi-fi and not need to worry about sim cards.

If your phone is unlocked and GSM it should be fairly painless to install a SIM. Likely no harder then changing a battery.

Not sure whether my response pertains to France and Spain, but I just returned from a trip to Bolivia a couple days ago. I have T-Mobile service and an unlocked Nexus smart phone. Although I had no cell service, free internet access was readily available and I had no problem connecting.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am such a Philistine leave it at home! Nothing more itrritating other people jabbering on the path then entering a cafe or a restaurant or an albergue and while thumbs are flying nobody even picks up their head. Then you have the problem of 47 people are wanting to charge the miserable things a problem in many albergues due to lack of outlets. If you must then bring along an expander, you know one of those plugs that turns a two hole outlet into four six or more. There are people who need electricity in order to breathe with theire CPAP .

if you are going to use your hometown sim card, please make sure you disable the data roaming and the call forwarding functions. this will cost you an arm and a leg if not disabled.

best is still to buy a spanish sim card, movistar or vodafone work best on the camino frances.

buen camino and god bless.

Using an o2 sim was all I needed. O2 travel kept calls and texts to the same as at home and if I needed data which was rare since there is so much free wifi, it only cost £1.99 a day so the british sim was all I needed. Another good one if you have an address in southern Ireland is meteor

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hey there!

probably most of you won't carry cell phones but does anyone had any experience or knows what is the best way to get cellular internet for smartphones (iPhone 5 in my case)?
i was thinking on buying a local spanish/french sim-card...

Best regards!

Tomer.
I brought my unlocked iPhone 5 with me, and during a layover in Madrid airport I purchased a prepaid Orange SIM card with data for 15 euros with 1GB of data for a month, they even had the SIM card cutter for the nano SIM, I also added 5 euros for talking/texting as well and added more credit as needed.
Honestly, it was nice to use my iPhone 5 like I would at home, I didn't have to rely on finding wifi or pestering a bar/albergue owner with asking for the wifi password, only in a few instances did I have to get the password in the more remote areas where I didn't get reception, if I wanted to post a photo or check in on FB, I was able to, if I wanted to call ahead to check on beds, I was able to.
I didn't get caught up in the wifi rush when I would stop for my morning breakfast break and lunch break, I could go online almost anywhere on the Camino as I pleased.
Outlets for charging were not scarce for most albergues, most used power strips, the Xunta ones had the least amount of outlets.
I think if someone needs to plug in their CPAP machine, they should have priority on the outlet and the bed closest to it, if more outlets are needed, get a double or triple splitter available at any ferreteria.

Scruffy wrote:
I am such a Philistine leave it at home! Nothing more itrritating other people jabbering on the path then entering a cafe or a restaurant or an albergue and while thumbs are flying nobody even picks up their head. Then you have the problem of 47 people are wanting to charge the miserable things

As you do not carry the miserable thing why did you have a problem?

In 2009 I took my Blackberry and found free wifi was readily available along the Camino. I bought a international package from my carrier Rogers for emergencies and to allow some messaging, but did not use it. I walk again in Sept with my iphone 4 and will just rely on wifi this time. For emergencies I will buy a prepaid intl card and look for a payphone!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Payphones are getting scarce around the world because of cell towers, Spain is no exception, you can spend 12 euros for a SIM card with 1GB of data and 50 local calling minutes, http://tiendamoviles.tuenti.com/tarjeta-sim-prepago?d=1 I bet that it is less than your "international plan" from Rogers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
tomerbella wrote
probably most of you won't carry cell phones

Having just returned from the Camino I wonder where you got this impression in this day and age:rolleyes:?

It could have been true ten years ago, and it will also be true in ten years time as by then cell phones will be out of production and cameras with internet and phoning capabilities will be carried by 95% of those on the Camino.

tomerbella wrote

Having just returned from the Camino I wonder where you got this impression in this day and age:rolleyes:?

It could have been true ten years ago, and it will also be true in ten years time as by then cell phones will be out of production and cameras with internet and phoning capabilities will be carried by 95% of those on the Camino.

just thought maybe people wanna get clear minded. got that impression from reading online but i guess it was out of date

just thought maybe people wanna get clear minded. got that impression from reading online but i guess it was out of date
Modern pilgrims are carrying smartphones on the Camino, most are relying on wifi though, there is a wifi rush when pilgrims are making their morning coffee break, all asking the bar owner for the password when ordering their cafe con leche.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used wifi for texting and uploading pics to blog and Facebook. I kept my phone on airplane mode. I also downloaded Viber app which is free and as long as you had wifi access to could call or text free. The ones I texted to had to have viber on their phone also to work. I texted just about everyday to my daughters in the United States. I was using my iPhone. Check out their website www.viber.com. I also got an international plan just in case of emergency.

But orange sim card at stores all over Spain..different rates for different countries. USA was 9cents/min. you cant go wrong and gr8 service.

Not having a way to communicate with your family makes you clear minded? Do you only see things from your own perspective most of the time?

I am taking a career break and have not even booked a return flight so my mind should be fine thanks even whilst carrying a smartphone:)

Thanks for your concern and hope you find some peace in your life;)

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I used wifi for texting and uploading pics to blog and Facebook. I kept my phone on airplane mode. I also downloaded Viber app which is free and as long as you had wifi access to could call or text free. The ones I texted to had to have viber on their phone also to work. I texted just about everyday to my daughters in the United States. I was using my iPhone. Check out their website www.viber.com. I also got an international plan just in case of emergency.
Be careful about using the viber app in europe. My experience with viber was very bad. My conversation kept getting cut off and reverted to my own wifi. I only found out when i received my monthly statement. Viber is good when you don't get any disconnection.

Not having a way to communicate with your family makes you clear minded? Do you only see things from your own perspective most of the time?

I am taking a career break and have not even booked a return flight so my mind should be fine thanks even whilst carrying a smartphone:)

Thanks for your concern and hope you find some peace in your life;)

Buen Camino
what are you talking about? see things from my own perspective? obviously i'm asking about it so i'm taking my phone with me.. and some people like to be with no phone or connection to their home for a while.. i know a few back home. no need for the arrogance.. good luck with on your new path in life and i hope all will work out the best for you, and have a safe and amazing walk!
buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back