• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Celtic Camino 2018

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Is anyone else planning on doing this relatively new combo camino next year?

Sometime in the spring I will be going to Dublin with a peregrina friend I met on the CF in 2014 and walk 25 km from Bray to get a Celtic Camino certificate. Then later, not sure if it will be the next day or a few weeks later, fly to Spain to start from A Coruña and walk to Santiago for the remaining 75 km. I walked the Inglés from Ferrol this summer so I am looking forward to another Galician walk and a visit to Santiago!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Sometime in the spring I will be going to Dublin with a peregrina friend I met on the CF in 2014 and walk 25 km from Bray to get a Celtic Camino certificate. Then later, not sure if it will be the next day or a few weeks later, fly to Spain to start from A Coruña and walk to Santiago for the remaining 75 km. I walked the Inglés from Ferrol this summer so I am looking forward to another Galician walk and a visit to Santiago!
:):):)[/QUOTE]
@nidarosa I am guessing you will walk to Glendalough?? If so you will only be a 45 minutes drive away from where I live, and I would come and greet you!!
No, but I sure should be thinking of it! I'll be in Ireland for other reasons in late June and intend to go directly from there to Santiago to walk the Ingles.
Well. If this isn't an interesting little bit of information!!
Thanks, @nidarosa!
@VNwalking likewise!!
But in the spring and on into June, I plan to be walking from Canterbury to Rome. Do let me know your dates though, especially if Glendalough is on your radar.

I will be in Cork and so was thinking of walking St. Finbar's Way. I am told it is gorgeous.
But I don't know yet; I would very much enjoy meeting up, Tim!

It's true that to qualify for the Compostela you can walk 25 kms at home or in this case I'm Ireland
John, do you know if it's necessary to have the Irish 'compostela,' or is a stamped credencial enough? From the look of the websites, it sounds like one actually needs to have the certificate, which in my case would be a challenge to collect.

I will be in Cork and so was thinking of walking St. Finbar's Way. I am told it is gorgeous.

John, do you know if it's necessary to have the Irish 'compostela,' or is a stamped credencial enough? From the look of the websites, it sounds like one actually needs to have the certificate, which in my case would be a challenge to collect.

From the Camino Society website:
If you cannot visit the Information Centre contact us via email or at one of our Information days email: info@caminosociety.ie
I hope to go to St James’s church on Saturday and can check for you. They also state that at present they will accept any proven 25 km walk. Clearskies has posted a fine account of his walk with another Camino friend, from Bray to St James church in town, and they were not shy about getting “sellos” from establishments I wouldn’t ever have thought of!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have walked from A Coruna a couple of times this year, I had my credencial from the CSJ in the UK. I planned a route from home before hand around some local villages and got my credencial signed or stamped at local churches which were open on the day and a village post office. I also got a stamp in my home town at the start and finish then carried on in A Coruna. I then received my compostela when I arrived in Santiago. The first time there was a bit of a discussion in the Pilgrims office about the actual starting point.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great info, all and thank you Tim for the kind offer, I will let you know! We will walk the first part in Dublin because my camiga is staying there for one semester, and then on to Coruña either immediately or a few weeks later. Look forward to both legs of this camino!

Great info, all and thank you Tim for the kind offer, I will let you know! We will walk the first part in Dublin because my camiga is staying there for one semester, and then on to Coruña either immediately or a few weeks later. Look forward to both legs of this camino!

See you in Santiago! We need to find out how to say "buen camino" in Irish!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From the Camino Society website:
If you cannot visit the Information Centre contact us via email or at one of our Information days email: info@caminosociety.ie
I hope to go to St James’s church on Saturday and can check for you. They also state that at present they will accept any proven 25 km walk. Clearskies has posted a fine account of his walk with another Camino friend, from Bray to St James church in town, and they were not shy about getting “sellos” from establishments I wouldn’t ever have thought of!

See you on Saturday :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes indeed, walking from Bray to St James church will provide you with an Irish compostela. There are a number of stops for sellos including Seaworld in Bray, James Joyce museum in Sandycove and Christchurch Cathedral in town. And if you are looking for more, pop into any church, post office or library and they will give you one.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To my ear, the audio version bears little resemblance to the written one. Really?o_O;)
And I thought Burmese was hard.....
Thanks for trying to help, everyone, but it's beyond me.

and walk 25 km from Bray to get a Celtic Camino certificate. Then later, not sure if it will be the next day or a few weeks later, fly to Spain to start from A Coruña and walk to Santiago for the remaining 75 km.

Hi, this combo camino appeals to me as my maiden name is Bray, and I like the idea of starting in Bray!

Is there an online map showing the pilgrim routes in Ireland?

I have never been to Ireland, and this looks like a good reason to go; plus, a short 100km camino, broken into two sections, might interest my husband in joining me on this one, as he has always said he would like to walk into Santiago with me one day.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Well, if you two are meeting up, don't forget to include me! :);)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, if you two are meeting up, don't forget to include me! :);)
What, are you kidding?! :eek: To leave you out would be totally out of the question, Nuala.
I am plotting my course and will send a PM once I decide what I want to do. Heck, I might 'have to' walk both the St Finbar's Way, and from Bray to Dublin. It would take some logistic finagling, as I am traveling here and there, but all is potentially possible.....

Any suggestions for an itinerary from Bray to Santiago, over two weeks, staying in hotels (my husband doesn’t do albergues :D), and averaging 10 to 15kms per day? (He might be interested :).)
Jill

Any suggestions for an itinerary from Bray to Santiago, over two weeks, staying in hotels (my husband doesn’t do albergues :D), and averaging 10 to 15kms per day? (He might be interested :).)
Jill
To get you started, BRAY TO st JAMES CHURCH IN dublin Will cover the first 25k and a bit, so you would get your Compostela requirement. That accounts for two days. Then fly Aerlingus to Santiago, and bus or train to the start of the Ingles that will complete the requirement for walking 100k. So, day of 5 you start heading to Santiago and that gives you ten days to walk the balance. No doubt somebody with a greater knowledge can fill in the gaps, or you can yourself. It is a fine idea, and one I could pack away for another time, when I really retire!

€60,-
@jsalt If you divide the stages and use taxis to get back to a hotel and then the next day taxi out to where you left off, you can even stay in the same hotels several nights, meaning less packing and unpacking (if that would help you persuade hubby). We intend to do the Bray-Dublin stage in one if realistic, but might decide to split it - apparently there is a James Joyce museum in Sandycove, so that might be a good place to stop and then start again the next day, and I'd like to see the Book of Kells as well, so two days sounds good. The same for the first stage of the Inglés, it is 35-ish km from Coruña to Hospital de Bruma, where the two Inglés caminos meet, and 1 km off trail is Meson do Vento, with hotel Canaima. We'll start walking from Coruña, taxi back to hotel for the night and to sightsee, then taxi out again and carrying on to Meson, where you can pick up the trail, no need to go back to Bruma. The Meson-Sigüeiro stage is 25+ kms and can also be split in the same way. There are hotels in or just outside Sigüeiro , and the next stage ends in Santiago. Two weeks would be lots of time to experience Dublin, Coruña and Santiago and everything inbetween! You might even want to walk Coruña-Bruma and then nip up to Ferrol to get a full set of Ingléses ... some lovely towns on the way.

Yes indeed, walking from Bray to St James church will provide you with an Irish compostela. There are a number of stops for sellos including Seaworld in Bray, James Joyce museum in Sandycove and Christchurch Cathedral in town. And if you are looking for more, pop into any church, post office or library and they will give you one.
Wow, I did not know that! That means I have done one extra Camino and I did not know it! Even starting in Greystones along the railway line, a stunning cliff walk! I will try to visit you guys at Saint James' this Christmas

Very true, sir. I shall have a closer look at the options, I need all the walks I can get before St Olav's Way!
Hi
I did the Olav's way in June and July this year. It was wonderful but also á lot of work up and down. In May 2018 I will do the Ingle's way with my daughter.
I am sure you will love the Olav's way just like I did. Best wishes from Iceland

€60,-
@jsalt If you divide the stages and use taxis to get back to a hotel and then the next day taxi out to where you left off, you can even stay in the same hotels several nights, meaning less packing and unpacking (if that would help you persuade hubby). We intend to do the Bray-Dublin stage in one if realistic, but might decide to split it - apparently there is a James Joyce museum in Sandycove, so that might be a good place to stop and then start again the next day, and I'd like to see the Book of Kells as well, so two days sounds good. The same for the first stage of the Inglés, it is 35-ish km from Coruña to Hospital de Bruma, where the two Inglés caminos meet, and 1 km off trail is Meson do Vento, with hotel Canaima. We'll start walking from Coruña, taxi back to hotel for the night and to sightsee, then taxi out again and carrying on to Meson, where you can pick up the trail, no need to go back to Bruma. The Meson-Sigüeiro stage is 25+ kms and can also be split in the same way. There are hotels in or just outside Sigüeiro , and the next stage ends in Santiago. Two weeks would be lots of time to experience Dublin, Coruña and Santiago and everything inbetween! You might even want to walk Coruña-Bruma and then nip up to Ferrol to get a full set of Ingléses ... some lovely towns on the way.
and if you do stop in Sandycove you must swim in The Forty Foot bathing place , metres away , and one of my favourite swimming spots . I live 2 km from here so if you want local info contact me.Paddy

The folks in stJames Association will help you with more precise route details if you email them. I think your idea of breaking into 2 days is smart, takes pressure off. Depends where your lodgings will be, you might be able to use public transport instead of taxis. I plan to do that walk myself, some fine day early in 2018! If you had more time, you could take a train to Wicklow, walk back from there to Greystones, along by the shore, about 17k or so and then next day from Greystones to Bray....but I am getting carried away. Buen camino!

This Easter I hope to be walking from Wicklow Town, where St. Patrick first tried to land in Ireland at Travelahawk Bay and will be following a route to Glendalough where the St. Kevin's Way ends in the Monastic City. That's about 30Km, at least half of which will be off road on forest roads and trails.

Anyone interested in joining me? If you were mad, you might keep going on from Glendalough and walk St. Kevin's Way in reverse to Hollywood, from where you can get a bus back to Dublin.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This Easter I hope to be walking from Wicklow Town, where St. Patrick first tried to land in Ireland at Travelahawk Bay and will be following a route to Glendalough where the St. Kevin's Way ends in the Monastic City. That's about 30Km, at least half of which will be off road on forest roads and trails.

Anyone interested in joining me? If you were mad, you might keep going on from Glendalough and walk St. Kevin's Way in reverse to Hollywood, from where you can get a bus back to Dublin.
Interested, yes, Free, no but will be interested to hear how it goes. Buen Camino!

Hi there, I walked from Ferrol to SDC last year, my first Camino and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had thought along similar lines, I believe it's possible to get sellos for your credential by walking the Pilgrim's way to Canterbury then walking from ACoruna to SDC, this is my plan for later in the year, maybe see you on the Camino! Buenos Camino x

I live in Greystones and there is increasing awareness of Celtic Caminos/Irish PIlgrim Paths as noted in the links given above. What I want to say is if anyone wants to meet for a Coastal path Camino or a Glendalough, St.Kevins Way combo Please PM me, I can offer assistance if needed.

on the Emrald Isle there are hundreds of kilometres of pilgrimage routes http://www.pilgrimpath.ie No need to stop at 25kms! :)
Bumping this thread with John's excellent suggestion. Why limit yourself?
I did this in July, and walking in Ireland followed by the Ingles felt surprisingly coherent - even though there was a week and all the geographic distance between the 2 walks.
If you are thinking to do this, I'd really encourage it.

Answer to @Robey is theoretically yes.

It is getting the stamps on the Pilgrims Way that may be more difficult than on the Spanish Caminos, and it is the stamps that you need to prove you have walked the 25km or more additional distance that you need to top up the A Coruna to Santiago Ingles.

Answer to @Robey is theoretically yes.

It is getting the stamps on the Pilgrims Way that may be more difficult than on the Spanish Caminos, and it is the stamps that you need to prove you have walked the 25km or more additional distance that you need to top up the A Coruna to Santiago Ingles.
A little bit of ingenuity, asking the police, or a solicitor, or maybe a church office - somewhere with a stamp, or a date machine. I have no doubt the St James Society in UK and also in Ireland will have helpful information to give. Guinness Brewery of course, also, in Dublin.

€46,-
A little bit of ingenuity, asking the police, or a solicitor, or maybe a church office - somewhere with a stamp, or a date machine. I have no doubt the St James Society in UK and also in Ireland will have helpful information to give. Guinness Brewery of course, also, in Dublin.
My two 'stamps' from Ireland were handwritten, as no-one had an actual stamp. And it did take a bit of ingenuity to get those.
But I received a compostela without question.
I don't know for sure (@t2andreo may be able to tell us), but it may be that it is not stamps per se that are needed, but there does have to be some kind of documentation.

I plan to do the Kerry Camino from Tralee to Dingle town then from Ferrol to Santiago in June 2019.

Last edited:
It's true that to qualify for the Compostela you can walk 25 kms at home or in this case I'm Ireland then walk the 75 kms or so from A Coruña. But of course on the Emrald Isle there are hundreds of kilometres of pilgrimage routes http://www.pilgrimpath.ie No need to stop at 25kms! :)
Hi cousin John (fellow clansman) Just to let you know that I have an agreement with the Dean in Downpatrick Cathedral to ,when it is all in place, stamp credentials on the St Patrick's Camino, only another few bits to put in place. The other half sends her love probably see you around September and the next meal is on me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know theres a new pilgrimage from armagh city too downpatrick i.e st patricks pilgramage!! Takes a few routes its 82 miles in all but acommodation would be difficult i.e more expensive
Tòg a bògie

I plan to do the Kerry Camino from Tralee to Dingle town then from Ferrol to Santiago in June 2019.
A bit blustery and wet on the Kerry camino today but oh so beautiful. Loved it

Attachments

• 94C6E72D-C5C8-4808-802D-8BA2C4DF1898.jpeg
    94C6E72D-C5C8-4808-802D-8BA2C4DF1898.jpeg
    718 KB · Views: 15
  • 6320BF03-E767-47AD-968D-2459A7F7EEAB.jpeg
    6320BF03-E767-47AD-968D-2459A7F7EEAB.jpeg
    972.1 KB · Views: 15
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would spend time in A Coruna, rather than in Ferrol. Roman Tower of Hercules, beach, Riazor and lovely outdoor restaurants in the old town citadel. For me, Ferrol was a very bland naval base compared to the bustling A Coruna

€46,-
I estimate I'll start the Ingles about 10 May from Ferrol.
I visited A Coruña last year while I was volunteering at the Pilgrim House in Santiago. I wanted to walk a little farther. I enjoyed wandering around the city after climbing the Tower.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.