• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Central and Coastal Portuguese routes

Margaret68

Time of past OR future Camino
Well, one week away from start day and I just printed stingynomads ( I really like them) Central Camino route.

I really just want to get to the Spiritual Variant. I keep reminding myself it’s all spiritual I can walk my comfortable pace…. But singing NUNS! I’d like to stay there forever (at least 2 days near by if not the guesthouse)

The routes are similar to start. For those who have done them what are pros and cons? It’s probably ALL GoOd 😊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had plans for the coastal and spiritual combination in Nov 2019 but bad weather (really high waves and quite cold) shut out much of the coastal and drove all of us inland. Not that there were very many at that time of year.
Anyway, I had my plans and the camino had its plans for me… and the central route blew my mind with its beauty.
I will probably walk the coastal route in 2022 with my step-sister, but my sincere wish is for any walker to be able to combine bits and pieces instead of choosing just one — if there’s only one opportunity to walk.
If you think you can return in a few years, then I just think that it’s probably best to treat each route as profoundly lovely, and worth being taken on its own merits.

Well, one week away from start day and I just printed stingynomads ( I really like them) Central Camino route.

I really just want to get to the Spiritual Variant. I keep reminding myself it’s all spiritual I can walk my comfortable pace…. But singing NUNS! I’d like to stay there forever (at least 2 days near by if not the guesthouse)

The routes are similar to start. For those who have done them what are pros and cons? It’s probably ALL GoOd 😊
Where are the singing nuns?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Elle Bieling has written extensively on both. You can find her at http://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com and she also did a podcast interview with us on the topic of coastal vs central (Episode 1.4).

This is very obvious advice but if you’re more drawn to the ocean and like a scenic camino, take the coastal. If you’d prefer a more historical and traditional route, take the central.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Glad that Armenteira monastery is open right now! 🙏 Can one do a reservation or they dont allow reservations and you just walk there to check availability?

Where are the singing nuns?
Actually, I think a better description would be "chanting nuns." I assume you're referring to the Vespers service at 7 p.m. Here's part of the description I put in my book: "Eight nuns and one priest, most of them elderly, had taken seats in a semicircle of chairs around the altar. One of the nuns sat at a small electronic organ. Precisely on the hour, she began playing the opening notes of the liturgy as the others intoned the verses in Spanish."
While the sound of this liturgy is musical, it's a droning kind of music, with the notes in a narrow range. Not Italian Opera. But very pleasant to listen to, even mesmerising.
At the end, one of the nuns invited us peregrinos up to the altar, where we received a special Pilgrims Blessing. Priceless experience.

Glad that Armenteira monastery is open right now! 🙏 Can one do a reservation or they dont allow reservations and you just walk there to check availability?
The contact page of the monastery’s Website offers ways to make bookings via telephone or email for the 13 rooms set aside for guests. See https://www.monasteriodearmenteira.es. I would advise booking in advance to make sure you get a room (which are quite nice, by the way).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks for the reference to stingynomads. I checked out their blog. I've just started reading about the Spiritual Variant and this helped me understand that option. We are walking Camino Portuguese starting in mid September.

The contact page of the monastery’s Website offers ways to make bookings via telephone or email for the 13 rooms set aside for guests. See https://www.monasteriodearmenteira.es. I would advise booking in advance to make sure you get a room (which are quite nice, by the way).
Thank you so much. That is helpful. I thought you were only able to reserve to stay at least two nights there. Am i confusing with another monastery? or i can indeed stay just one night there? I will research better this reservation.

Thank you for your responses.
Saint Augustine said, “He who sings, prays twice.” I consider chanting prayerfully singing for sure. I sent a message through the contact us page and put the contact number in my phone. Sister Paula responded with kindness. If it’s God’s will, I will receive the pilgrim blessing and attend Vespers. If there’s a room available I’ll be blessed indeed 😊

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much. That is helpful. I thought you were only able to reserve to stay at least two nights there. Am i confusing with another monastery? or i can indeed stay just one night there? I will research better this reservation.
Yes, the Website does say clearly: "La estancia mínima es de 3 noches durante los meses de Julio y Agosto y en Semana Santa y de 2 noches el resto del año. La estancia máxima es de 7 días."
However, my wife and I had no trouble booking one night in late June 2019.
My interpretation is that while the monastery caters to large Christian groups that stay for several days, they are willing to be flexible when traffic is low. Only a few other pilgrims were staying the night we were there.
I would further note that traffic is likely to be lower than usual this year as Spain recovers from the pandemic.

Yes, the Website does say clearly: "La estancia mínima es de 3 noches durante los meses de Julio y Agosto y en Semana Santa y de 2 noches el resto del año. La estancia máxima es de 7 días."
However, my wife and I had no trouble booking one night in late June 2019.
My interpretation is that while the monastery caters to large Christian groups that stay for several days, they are willing to be flexible when traffic is low. Only a few other pilgrims were staying the night we were there.
I would further note that traffic is likely to be lower than usual this year as Spain recovers from the pandemic.
Yes Just wanted to confirm. Thank you. Hopefully things will get better soon with more people getting the vaccine.

I toured the monestery at Armentiera in 2019, but I did not realize they offered lodging. We stayed at the municipal in town, which was very nice and they called the boat reservation in for my son and me. We had a nice meal at a restaurant in the village.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I’m leaving July 8th to walk the coastal route. Gonzo is the best! I too hope to stay with the singing nuns. I completed the form on their site but haven’t heard back. I’m looking for other monasteries/convents that host pilgrims. Any advice? Buen Camino! Hope to see you there! 😎

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you! How far is it from the convent Armentiera? Did you stay there? What is it like? Obrigado! 😎
My rough estimate is that 15 km separate the two monasteries (on the Camino trail). So, it is possible to stay first in Poio and then in Armenteira. We did not stay in the Poio monastery, however, so I have no personal knowledge of that. We stayed in Combarro, which is a few more kilometres up the trail.

My rough estimate is that 15 km separate the two monasteries (on the Camino trail). So, it is possible to stay first in Poio and then in Armenteira. We did not stay in the Poio monastery, however, so I have no personal knowledge of that. We stayed in Combarro, which is a few more kilometres up the trail.
We stopped in to take a look at the monestery in Poio on our way to Combarro. I'm not sure, but I think there was a two night minimum to stay and it seemed more suited for regular tourism.
I loved staying in Combarro.

We stopped in to take a look at the monestery in Poio on our way to Combarro. I'm not sure, but I think there was a two night minimum to stay and it seemed more suited for regular tourism.
I loved staying in Combarro.
Where are good places to stay in Combarro? I plan to sleep there too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Where are good places to stay in Combarro? I plan to sleep there too.
We stayed in the Hotel Xeito. It was comfortable, just about a block from where the Camino trail begins the ascent to Armenteira, and the owner was friendly and helpful.

Thank you! How far is it from the convent Armentiera? Did you stay there? What is it like? Obrigado! 😎

The Hospederia Monasterio Poio / Mosteiro de San Xoán de Poio

can be contacted for direct reservations at these contact details :

email : hospederiappmm@gmail.com

Tel : 986 770 000
Fax : 986 770 202

https://monasteriodepoio.es

The Monasterio is a very pleasant overnight stop following leaving Pontevedra, and possible to stay there and to visit Combarrra as a 'tourist'.

If not staying at the Monasterio, when passing do try and see the Horreo that is immediately outside

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.14.32.pngand also try and see inside the Church attached to the Monasterio
Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.13.53.png

Monasterio de Santa María de Armenteira

A wonderful place to stay, possibly for more than a single overnight stop before continuing, and certainly if I were to walk the Variant Espiritual again, I would stay there for two nights, walking La Ruta del Auga y la Piedra on the interim 'rest day', as well as walking again on the following day when continuing walking the Camino.

https://www.monasteriodearmenteira.es/

email : hospederia@monasteriodearmenteira.es

mobile contact : 00 34 627 097 696

Contact person : Hna Paula Téllez González

I paid 38euros for single occupation of a twin bedded room for the one night that I stayed.

The 7.00pm service at the Monasterio, Vísperas, is sung by the nuns and absolutely beautiful.

This is a brief look at La Ruta del Auga y la Piedra

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Albergue de Pergrinos de Armenteria y Meis
address : Lugar a Vilar, 53

This is privately operated by the Ayuntamiento de Meis

contact mobile 00 34 670 757 777 (Carmen)

10.00euros per person

Good facilities, with 32 places available

I have not looked at this website for the albergue, which might not be secure :

https://www.alberguedeperegrinos.com/

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back