• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Central Lisbon accommodation?

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all! What is your favorite place to stay in Central Lisbon that is close to most of the things to see. What is the name of the most central neighborhood/area over there? I want to explore when i am done with the Camino. Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all! What is your favorite place to stay in Central Lisbon that is close to most of the things to see. What is the name of the most central neighborhood/area over there? I want to explore when i am done with the Camino. Thank you.
The most central neighbourhood is the Baixa, the lower area between the two main hills. On the hills, the main central neighbourhoods for visitors are Alfama and Chiado. I live in Lisbon so I don’t have hotel recommendations and I’m currently on camino so I can’t type much right now but you can send me a message if you need any information. Bom caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The most central neighbourhood is the Baixa, the lower area between the two main hills. On the hills, the main central neighbourhoods for visitors are Alfama and Chiado. I live in Lisbon so I don’t have hotel recommendations and I’m currently on camino so I can’t type much right now but you can send me a message if you need any information. Bom caminho!
Feel already grateful for your reply knowing that your on your camino. Thank you for taking the time. I wish you a magical camino! 💕

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed at Travellers House. It is right in the middle of the old area. Private and shared rooms. Blocks to the water and the cathedral and buses, trolley and taxis very close. They have private and shared rooms and a real breakfast in the AM. I loved it.

A few years ago we stayed at the Pension at São João da Praça 97, right next door to the cathedral. It was basic but clean, cheap, central and friendly. Handy for the rollercoaster tram too.
I also stayed there, before setting out in my Caminho in 2019. I would recommend it for price, location and amenity.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In May, 2018 I stayed at This Is Lisbon Hostel (https://thisislisbonhostel.com/) in the Alfama neighborhood for five nights. It was a great location, close to much of what I wanted to see and to public transportation. The Rossio Subway Station was about a ten minute walk and approximately half hour ride from the Lisbon Airport. Trains to Sintra leave from here, as well as, trams and buses from Rossio Square. It’s a 10 minute walk from the hostel to the magnificent views from Castelo de São Jorge, Miradouro de Santa Luzia and Miradouro das Portas do Sol.

One day I walked with two lovely French ladies I met at breakfast (included) to Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Monument to the Discoveries) then onto Belém Tower, the Jerónimos Monastery and Pastéis de Belém. It was probably a leisurely two hour walk (8.5 km) to the Discoveries Monument. I used my Lisboa Card to return on the 15E tram to Praça da Figueira near Rossio Square.

I also walked about fifteen minutes, 1km, downhill to the Hard Rock Café to meet day trip excursions, one to Sintra and Casias, the other to Fatima, Nazare and Obidos. I recommend both. To leave Lisbon I walked downhill to the Santa Apolónia Train Station (15 minutes, 1.5 km) and took a train to Porto (about 3 hours) where I started my Caminho.

Did I mention downhill a couple of times? Unfortunately, that means there’s an UPHILL too. Welcome to Lisbon. Be sure to get directions from the hostel on how to reach them using the elevator, especially if you have luggage. An escalator was being installed on the lower segment of the stairway that goes up from the square to the entrance of the hostel, so you may want to inquire about that route also.

Hostel was clean, had reasonable rates, friendly professional staff, and friendly guests. I stayed in a dorm room with a shared bathroom (separate male/female), but they also have private rooms with shared or private bathrooms. Washer and drier was available. There was a mix of younger and older guests, but generally it had more of a younger vibe. Beer and wine is for sale and you can enjoy it on their large terrace that has great views of Lisbon. They stamped my credential. Hope to return sometime soon.

Bom caminho

Did you have transportation close by to be easy to see places? Did you stay in a hostel, room or hotel?
We stayed in an AirBnB, Inn Possible Blue Apartment - beautifully appointed with everything as long as you don't mind the 112 steps. It was very close to the Cathedral and tram line. This is one of the few parts of Lisbon that was not destroyed by the earthquake in 1755. It is a picturesque area full of narrow twisty streets with little squares every now and then.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In May, 2018 I stayed at This Is Lisbon Hostel (https://thisislisbonhostel.com/) in the Alfama neighborhood for five nights. It was a great location, close to much of what I wanted to see and to public transportation. The Rossio Subway Station was about a ten minute walk and approximately half hour ride from the Lisbon Airport. Trains to Sintra leave from here, as well as, trams and buses from Rossio Square. It’s a 10 minute walk from the hostel to the magnificent views from Castelo de São Jorge, Miradouro de Santa Luzia and Miradouro das Portas do Sol.

One day I walked with two lovely French ladies I met at breakfast (included) to Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Monument to the Discoveries) then onto Belém Tower, the Jerónimos Monastery and Pastéis de Belém. It was probably a leisurely two hour walk (8.5 km) to the Discoveries Monument. I used my Lisboa Card to return on the 15E tram to Praça da Figueira near Rossio Square.

I also walked about fifteen minutes, 1km, downhill to the Hard Rock Café to meet day trip excursions, one to Sintra and Casias, the other to Fatima, Nazare and Obidos. I recommend both. To leave Lisbon I walked downhill to the Santa Apolónia Train Station (15 minutes, 1.5 km) and took a train to Porto (about 3 hours) where I started my Caminho.

Did I mention downhill a couple of times? Unfortunately, that means there’s an UPHILL too. Welcome to Lisbon. Be sure to get directions from the hostel on how to reach them using the elevator, especially if you have luggage. An escalator was being installed on the lower segment of the stairway that goes up from the square to the entrance of the hostel, so you may want to inquire about that route also.

Hostel was clean, had reasonable rates, friendly professional staff, and friendly guests. I stayed in a dorm room with a shared bathroom (separate male/female), but they also have private rooms with shared or private bathrooms. Washer and drier was available. There was a mix of younger and older guests, but generally it had more of a younger vibe. Beer and wine is for sale and you can enjoy it on their large terrace that has great views of Lisbon. They stamped my credential. Hope to return sometime soon.

Bom caminho
Awesome i am taking good notes! Looks like you had a blast! Thank you also for linking that Lisboa Card is that the best thing to buy to get myself around with bus,metro, etc?

We stayed in an AirBnB, Inn Possible Blue Apartment - beautifully appointed with everything as long as you don't mind the 112 steps. It was very close to the Cathedral and tram line. This is one of the few parts of Lisbon that was not destroyed by the earthquake in 1755. It is a picturesque area full of narrow twisty streets with little squares every now and then.
Had no idea Lisbon had earthquakes! Thank you for sharing

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Did you have transportation close by to be easy to see places? Did you stay in a hostel, room or hotel
The Cathedral (from where the Camino starts) is on the edge of Alfama, a shortish walk from the CBD. The city Tram service passes the front of the Cathedral giving access around the city.
Sorry I don't have info re accommodation.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
The Cathedral (from where the Camino starts) is on the edge of Alfama, a shortish walk from the CBD. The city Tram service passes the front of the Camino giving access around the city.
Sorry I don't have info re accommodation.
Regards
Gerard
Gerard what is the CBD?

CBD is the Central Business District or downtown Lisbon.
I have also corrected an error in my initial post.
The tram passes the front of the Cathedral, not as I originally said, the Camino.
Sorry bout that,
Gerard

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Was there this last weekend ! Curfew at 2230 sadly but apart from that felt very normal and busy.... only downside was that historic Santa Justa lift was closed which seemed bizarre but all funiculars were operating!

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
CBD is the Central Business District or downtown Lisbon.
I have also corrected an error in my initial post.
The tram passes the front of the Cathedral, not as I originally said, the Camino.
Sorry bout that,
Gerard
Thank you Gerard.

Was there this last weekend ! Curfew at 2230 sadly but apart from that felt very normal and busy.... only downside was that historic Santa Justa lift was closed which seemed bizarre but all funiculars were operating!
Thank you for letting us know what it is happening there.

Thank you for letting us know what it is happening there.
Pleasure! For orientation worth taking the famous tram 28 that cuts thru old town. Worth a trip out to Cascais on the train if you fancy beach for the day. I stayed Casa Belmonte which was a good
location and bookable via booking.com

Pleasure! For orientation worth taking the famous tram 28 that cuts thru old town. Worth a trip out to Cascais on the train if you fancy beach for the day. I stayed Casa Belmonte which was a good
I have been to Portugal once but did not stay long in Lisbon. Went to Sintra and some other cities with day trips. I need to get this tram and go to Cascais then. 💕ThankS for the tips.

I have been to Portugal once but did not stay long in Lisbon. Went to Sintra and some other cities with day trips. I need to get this tram and go to Cascais then. 💕ThankS for the tips.
To be clear tram 28 is a local city tram and Cascais is a separate train trip! Sorry my post was not clear!

To be clear tram 28 is a local city tram and Cascais is a separate train trip! Sorry my post was not clear!
No i think i was the one that confused the all thing the way i typed. Lol. I actually understood they are two separated things. I want to do both. i loved Lisbon when i went there, so always wished i saw more. Thank you. 🙏
i went to Cabo da Roca which i think is close to Cascais no? I hiked there.

Last edited:

€60,-
Because is expensive?
It is because they are having a bit of a surge of the Delta variant of Covid. So, Lisbon is basically on lockdown from Friday at 3pm until Monday at 8am. They are re-evaluating every week, so it may change by the time you get there. Also, if you have either proof of vaccination or of a negative Covid test, you are exempt from the lockdown, based on what I read today.

Ruth

Oh Jeee! That looks yummy. And i loooove calamari!! I am taking notes. Do you remember the name of this place? Is it Ze da mouraria? With potatoes? I am drooling already. Lol
Yes indeed, note the photo. Put in in you gps maps, not too easy to find, but we walked there easily both years we visited 9840CE45-AE08-45D2-B93B-E680591C8E89.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very cute that Belmonte place with all the typical tiles.

Yes, potatoes too
Call me crazy, but I think Portugal has the world’s best potatoes. Oh how I miss those plates of fresh grilled fish, a vegetable (preferably couve (some kind of bitter green) for my taste), and some boiled potatos. Don’t get fish on a Monday, at least that’s what my Lisbon friends say, because the market is closed on Sunday and nothing will have come out of the sea within the last day (unless you go to a beach restaurant, where the fishermen bring it directy from their boat to the restaurant).

And since we’re on the topic of Portugal and food, I thought I’d repeat a bit of info that may be useful. Over the years, there have been comments from pilgrims on the forum who were angered to find out that they were charged for eating food on the little plates that were brought to their table without their asking for it. This is not a tourist trap, this is not a tactic to gouge foreigners, this is the way they do it in Portugal. Most restaurants bring you a couple of plates, and if you eat anything, you will be charged for the plate. If you don’t want it, just wave it away, there’s no hard feelings and no expectation that you eat it. Just a heads up!

Bom caminho, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Call me crazy, but I think Portugal has the world’s best potatoes. Oh how I miss those plates of fresh grilled fish, a vegetable (preferably couve (some kind of bitter green) for my taste), and some boiled potatos. Don’t get fish on a Monday, at least that’s what my Lisbon friends say, because the market is closed on Sunday and nothing will have come out of the sea within the last day (unless you go to a beach restaurant, where the fishermen bring it directy from their boat to the restaurant).

And since we’re on the topic of Portugal and food, I thought I’d repeat a bit of info that may be useful. Over the years, there have been comments from pilgrims on the forum who were angered to find out that they were charged for eating food on the little plates that were brought to their table without their asking for it. This is not a tourist trap, this is not a tactic to gouge foreigners, this is the way they do it in Portugal. Most restaurants bring you a couple of plates, and if you eat anything, you will be charged for the plate. If you don’t want it, just wave it away, there’s no hard feelings and no expectation that you eat it. Just a heads up!

Bom caminho, Laurie
Exactly. I lived in Italy too and it is the same way in many places. For those that don't know some times even just the bread can be charged separately.

Exactly. I lived in Italy too and it is the same way in many places. For those that don't know some times even just the bread can be charged separately.
In almost all of the small, cheap, well-worth-eating-at! places all across Portugal, you will get charged for the bread, and for olives, and for any of the small stuff--fish paté, cheese, etc. that they will put out for you when you sit down. The paté/cheese is definitely an extra, and possibly not worth it--you can buy the same stuff at any grocery store, if you like it, for a lot less.

The bread is almost always the best bread you ever ate, and the olives are usually great, too! (Often cured by a friend or relative with some olive trees, particularly once outside Lisboa/Porto). They're usually charged at about half a euro each. Well worth enjoying with the house red/white/a Sagres/Superbock while you wait for food!

Along that line, what's the best/cheaper way to get out to the airport from Lisbon? My flight is at the sad hour of 0700 in November. Since it is international, I presume I need to be there at 0500.
Or should I go to the airport area the day before?
Thanks.

In almost all of the small, cheap, well-worth-eating-at! places all across Portugal, you will get charged for the bread, and for olives, and for any of the small stuff--fish paté, cheese, etc. that they will put out for you when you sit down. The paté/cheese is definitely an extra, and possibly not worth it--you can buy the same stuff at any grocery store, if you like it, for a lot less.

The bread is almost always the best bread you ever ate, and the olives are usually great, too! (Often cured by a friend or relative with some olive trees, particularly once outside Lisboa/Porto). They're usually charged at about half a euro each. Well worth enjoying with the house red/white/a Sagres/Superbock while you wait for food!
You brought back a memory from my childhood--although we were fed on what I call now artificial bread (eg, Wonderbread), occasionally my mother would buy what she called Portuguese bread. It was deeelish! And to my 4 year old ears, I mistook the name and would ask if we could get the Pork and Cheese bread!

Along that line, what's the best/cheaper way to get out to the airport from Lisbon? My flight is at the sad hour of 0700 in November. Since it is international, I presume I need to be there at 0500.
Thanks.
Uber to the airport from central Lisbon costs about €10-12 only.

Thanks.
[Edit: Whoops; got to read more carefully! Missed the 05:00. First metro is 06:30. Probably Uber it is, or a regular taxi. But from past experience, you're probably okay being there an hour early for such an early flight. It's pretty fast through check-in and security that time of morning, at least pre-Covid.]

Other times: Metro.

Check the map. Airport is the last station on the red line and easy to access from almost anywhere.

(Same thing if you're coming in from out of town on the train. Out at Oriente station; 3 metro stops to the airport.)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
[Edit: Whoops; got to read more carefully! Missed the 05:00. First metro is 06:30. Probably Uber it is, or a regular taxi. But from past experience, you're probably okay being there an hour early for such an early flight. It's pretty fast through check-in and security that time of morning, at least pre-Covid.]

Check the map. Airport is the last station on the red line and easy to access from almost anywhere.

(Same thing if you're coming in from out of town on the train. Out at Oriente station; 3 metro stops to the airport.)
Thanks. I am now thinking of actually splurging on a hotel room close to the airport so would go there the evening before and now fret about things going awry so early in the morning! It says 0.2 mile to airport so if worse comes to worse I can walk there! Theoretically! The hotel does say free airport shuttle but it doesn't say if it runs so early in the morning. All will be revealed!!

And thanks, Barquinha, for the links on the metro. I am a hick from the sticks and we don't have public transport here--unless some lends you a horse.
Which means I have questions! If I wind up walking everywhere while in Lisbon, and then taking the metro to the airport, do I still get a plastic card and add just the 1.50 euro?
Does the kiosk let me use my credit card to add money or do people use cash?
What happens if I have a card and add money to it, but leave before using up the credits--are the cards good for years?
Thanks again!

Which means I have questions! If I wind up walking everywhere while in Lisbon, and then taking the metro to the airport, do I still get a plastic card and add just the 1.50 euro?
Does the kiosk let me use my credit card to add money or do people use cash?
What happens if I have a card and add money to it, but leave before using up the credits--are the cards good for years?"
Thanks again!
De nada [lit. "of nothing"...actual: "you're welcome"]--a useful bit of Portuguese.

In Lisbon, it's a cardboard card, rather than plastic, and you pay a bit for it (half a euro? can't remember!) and then load it.

Useable for all the metros, buses, and trams, so if you'll be in Lisboa for a day or two, well worth loading with, say, 10 euros--a ride I think is just over a euro and cheaper off your card than by paying cash.

Buying the card/credit: usually machines; the bigger stations have some that take credit/European ATM; I think they all have ones that take cash. Euro/2 Euro coins are simplest though they do take bills. The kiosks are set up for at least Portuguese/English and possibly some other European languages.

The biggest stations, including at the airport, have a person in a real kiosk/office as well as machines. Cannot guarantee that someone will speak English, but usually.

And...best tip for leaving airport and getting on metro: when you go down the escalator to the metro from the arrivals floor, there will almost always be a huge, slow-moving queue for the machines, from arriving visitors who don't know how it works and take a long time to get their passes/load them. If you go just past there, and around the corner to the right...there are one or two machines that hardly anyone ever uses. Enjoy them!

Bom caminho!

[Oh yes, and if you do have money left on your card when you leave, it is good for a while...I think maybe 18 months? But when you read your card for its balance in the machine, I think it will tell you.]

A selection of Camino Jewellery
De nada [lit. "of nothing"...actual: "you're welcome"]--a useful bit of Portuguese.

In Lisbon, it's a cardboard card, rather than plastic, and you pay a bit for it (half a euro? can't remember!) and then load it.

Useable for all the metros, buses, and trams, so if you'll be in Lisboa for a day or two, well worth loading with, say, 10 euros--a ride I think is just over a euro and cheaper off your card than by paying cash.

Buying the card/credit: usually machines; the bigger stations have some that take credit/European ATM; I think they all have ones that take cash. Euro/2 Euro coins are simplest though they do take bills. The kiosks are set up for at least Portuguese/English and possibly some other European languages.

The biggest stations, including at the airport, have a person in a real kiosk/office as well as machines. Cannot guarantee that someone will speak English, but usually.

And...best tip for leaving airport and getting on metro: when you go down the escalator to the metro from the arrivals floor, there will almost always be a huge, slow-moving queue for the machines, from arriving visitors who don't know how it works and take a long time to get their passes/load them. If you go just past there, and around the corner to the right...there are one or two machines that hardly anyone ever uses. Enjoy them!

Bom caminho!

[Oh yes, and if you do have money left on your card when you leave, it is good for a while...I think maybe 18 months? But when you read your card for its balance in the machine, I think it will tell you.]
Very kind of you to pass on this good information. I am a dunce when it comes to ticketing and transport since where I live there is none. :p

Thanks.
We like/love the taxis. Easy fast and get all kinds of local info. Buen Camino

We do too, but have found very few cruising the streets at 5 am (needed one when an AirBnB shuttle ride failed to appear..a story that almost turned out very badly). If you're taking one earlier in the trip, in Lisboa, ask for a business card! Then you can at least call one.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can ask your accommodation to arrange a scheduled pick up
Very true. And usually totally reliable. But in this particular case, they said they would, and it didn't happen! Never using that accommodation again--we had had a very good experience before. (And afterwards, absolute silence and no comment when we emailed them about the issue.)

We almost missed our flight back to Canada. Luckily, a random taxi driver was on the street, at 5 am or so.

To be fair, this is the only bad experience we have had, among many stays in Lisboa. Generally, everyone from bargain AirBnBs to hotels has provided heartwarmingly excellent service!

Taxis confuse me. I never know what to do with them--I mean there were none where I grew up, and over the years I would hear stories about how the drivers would rip you off by driving all over instead of directly to your destination. And do you tip in certain countries and not in others? In Vietnam there's a whole 'nother world with taxis. In present times I hear of assaults on women in Uber and Lyft cars. Yikes!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For eating, try the Time Out Market. Great atmosphere and great selection of food
I can't remember what I ate, but I do remember that the white port cocktails were delicious!🍹

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back