• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Certificado question....

Pacharan

Hello, please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before, I have been searching online and not found a definitive answer.

My understanding of the compostela/certificado situation is this:

If you can evidence a walk or cycle ride across the requisite last 100/200 km and declare spiritual/religious motivation, you may receive a Compostela from the Pilgrim Office

If you can evidence a walk or cycle ride across the requisite last 100/200 km and declare a non-spiritual/religious motivation, you may receive a certificado from the Pilgrim Office.

In addition you may now buy a certificate of distance from the Pilgrim Office.

If you do not walk/cycle the minimum distances but visit the cathedral you can buy a certificate of visit from the Archicofradia office.

Have I got it right? Some people I spoke to recently thought that the certificado from the Pilgrim Office was available to those who had come on pilgrimage but not walked or cycled the minimum distances, but I was doubtful that this was correct. Are they thinking of the certificate of visit?

If anyone can confirm or correct my assertions I should be most grateful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tincatinker is correct. If you receive your Compestela, you can then purchase a certificate of distance. Don't forget to get two stamps per day where required !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Colin - generally speaking you are correct. However the Pilgrims Office is more flexible in its use of the Certificado. The distance requirement for the Compostela is fixed and is applied mostly consistently. The Certificado does not have the same status and is often used at the Pilgrims' Office discretion to recognise the efforts of pilgrims who may not have fulfilled the narrow requirements of the Compostela - for example children,

Thank you everyone who has responded.

John, thank you for this clarification. I was being asked about the possibility of certificados for 2 people who have done much walking as pilgrims in the UK over the years but would be doing little, if any, walking during a brief visit to Santiago. They felt that their efforts in the UK should count for something in Santiago, but I was doubtful that the Pilgrim Office would accept their request, hence me trying to drill down into what may be possible for such people who are visiting the Cathedral in the spirit of pilgrims but via air/road/rail rather than by foot or bike. Despite the flexibility available to the Pilgrim Office in awarding certificados, I would still guess that simply flying into Santiago and visiting the Cathedral would not be enough to obtain a certificado?

I'm not Colin, by the way :) I know who you are thinking of, I inadvertently chose this forum name long before I realised someone else used it elsewhere, sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. Colin drinks so much Pacharan I assumed you were he.

This question comes up from time to time during the year in the Pilgrims Office. The Certificado has discretionary uses but I am nearly certain it wouldn't be issued to pilgrims who arrived by plane and then went to the Cathedral.

However there has been discussion about pilgrims who walk a way of Saint James in their own country and have evidence of that having that recognised towards the Compostela. Therefore if I walked the The Way of Saint James from Reading to Southhampton (or part of it) and then walked from Coruna or Portomarin or wherever the two together would add up to more than the 100 kms. This has been agreed in the past on an individual basis. If you want to pursue that I think the best way would be for the CSJ to take it up with the Cathedral.

Best regards

John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
John, thanks once again for your input. In this instance, I believe the UK walks were done some time ago, almost certainly without the kind of documentary evidence the Pilgrim Office would need, and most were not a Way of Saint James. Since there was no walking at all planned for Spain then from what you are saying I think it unlikely that a certificado would have been issued. The people I was speaking to will have already returned from Santiago, and no doubt will have asked in the Cathedral/Pilgrim Office about what was possible. However I'll bear your comments in mind should a question like this arise again.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.