• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF accommodation during San Fermin festival

@hilchills

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Jul/Aug 2022
Hi all! I’m new here, planning my first Camino (on the CF route) after some traveling around other countries. I just started mapping out possible route plans, and realized that I’m planning to begin around July 9th, which would put me in Pamplona during the 2022 Running of the Bulls. But I wonder if this may impact accommodations, and whether there’s anything I can/should do in advance to ensure lodging there during the crowded celebrations? I’ve found lots of other posts here very helpful in my preparation! Thanks in advance for any guidance :)
- hilary

edit: thank you to moderator & veteran pilgrims for providing me with appropriately nuanced language to use around this topic! very much appreciate the support!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, and welcome to the forum! The timing of your arrival in Pamplona could certainly be a problem. If you search for "san fermin" (I will do it here for you) you will find a number of threads that discuss this question. Many pilgrims try to time their walks so they can walk straight through Pamplona, but accommodation could still be difficult for the stages before and after Pamplona.

I should warn you that Forum Rule #2 prohibits any discussion of the running of the bulls or bull fighting, as those discussions become very heated and without relevance to the Camino, except for the question of accommodation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I beleive in past years Jesus y Maria closes it doors for that week. I know I have read that finding a bed in Cizur Menor is also an issue for the week.

Here’s one possibility — the albergue in Tiebas on the Aragonés. I remember when LT and I walked through, the hospitalero indicated that he would be happy to take in pilgrims for a couple of nights during the festivities. I get the impression that he doesn’t have too much pilgrim traffic. Gronze lists an email address and the mobile phone is on WhatsApp so I would send a whatsapp message. It’s about a 30 minute bus ride into Pamplona (Tiebas is directly south of Pamplona) and there are frequent buses.

Good luck with this!

I beleive in past years Jesus y Maria closes it doors for that week. I know I have read that finding a bed in Cizur Menor is also an issue for the week.
Especially since Albergue Maribel Roncal is still closed. That's where I stayed when I walked through Pamplona during San Fermín.

Some pilgrims that I walked with were able to get beds in Casa Paderborn.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You could avoid Pamplona totally during this period.

Looking at a map you can plot your way to the airport.

From the airport walk southeast to Tiebas to join the Camino Aragones and perhaps stay in the Tiebas albergue as peregrina2000 noted above. The hub of the town is the bar/resto in the Centro Social de Tiebas, at # 34 Calle Mayor, tel +34 948 36 00 02

After Tiebas walk west on the CA paralleling route NA-601 to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate where the albergue is now unfortunately closed and then 4km further to Puente la Reina/Gares to re-meet the Camino Frances.

Happy planning and Buen camino

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The big albergue Jesús y Maria is closed during the San Fermin festivities, and probably many other albergues will be closed. The prices of a hostal / hotelroom increase to more than 600% of the normal price. When I am in Roncesvalles during San Fermin I always advise pilgrims to skip Pamplona totally. It is crowded, it is expensive, people are very noisy during the night so if you have a bed, you will hardly sleep because of the noise in the streets.

Hi all! I’m new here, planning my first Camino (on the CF route) after some traveling around other countries. I just started mapping out possible route plans, and realized that I’m planning to begin around July 9th, which would put me in Pamplona during the 2022 Running of the Bulls. But I wonder if this may impact accommodations, and whether there’s anything I can/should do in advance to ensure lodging there during the crowded celebrations? I’ve found lots of other posts here very helpful in my preparation! Thanks in advance for any guidance :)
- hilary

edit: thank you to moderator & veteran pilgrims for providing me with appropriately nuanced language to use around this topic! very much appreciate the support!
it will be difficult to find a bed in an albergue and also in the hotels. I know only one open albergue that time, "Casa Paderborn", but it should be not possible, to make a reservation. Good luck

I just booked accommodations in Pamplona for July 13th (about the time you mentioned) at the Camplus Pamplona. It's a student dorm that they use for guests during this time. (Not sure about other times of the year.) Looks like about a 10 minute walk to downtown area. The cost was $50euros for a double room. I did notice that Casa Ibarola and Albergue Pamplona-Irunako Aterpea (both right in old town) had spaces available for about $75 euros.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You could avoid Pamplona totally during this period.

Looking at a map you can plot your way to the airport.

From the airport walk southeast to Tiebas to join the Camino Aragones and perhaps stay in the Tiebas albergue as peregrina2000 noted above. The hub of the town is the bar/resto in the Centro Social de Tiebas, at # 34 Calle Mayor, tel +34 948 36 00 02

After Tiebas walk west on the CA paralleling route NA-601 to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate where the albergue is now unfortunately closed and then 4km further to Puente la Reina/Gares to re-meet the Camino Frances.

Happy planning and Buen camino
Hi, any idea of this distance? I'm now rather concerned as I really don't want to be in Pamplona at this time and will be walking with my grandson of 15.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, any idea of this distance? I'm now rather concerned as I really don't want to be in Pamplona at this time and will be walking with my grandson of 15.
From where to the airport? Or from the airport to Tiebas?

From where to the airport?
Sorry, I should be researching myself, I thought it was something you had maybe done. We'll be coming from Zubiri, so maybe will now need to stop before the town the day before and have a longer day the next as it looks quite a trek yo joined the Aragonés

Sorry, I should be researching myself, I thought it was something you had maybe done. We'll be coming from Zubiri, so maybe will now need to stop before the town the day before and have a longer day the next as it looks quite a trek yo joined the Aragonés
I have walked to Tiebas twice but not via the airport.
Here is one account

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just looking again, if we stopped at Huarte the night before, it should be possible to Skirt Pamplona without getting caught up in the festival, I hope.
Good idea. From Huarte where would you aim? If Tiebas it would be a 20km walk.

Last edited:
Good idea. From Huarte where would aim?
Perhaps a bit short of Puenta la Riena. This is my grandson's first Camino and only my second, so I'm not planning too far ahead until I see how we both cope. Thank you for your advice. I think we'll stick to the Frances but just not stay in Pamplona.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Whatever you think you might do try to book ahead ie. ASAP. All accommodation has always been tight even in surrounding towns at this time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
- hilary

When we walked in 2016 we also passed through Pamplona during the San Fermines. What we did was to stop 5 km before Pamplona, at the nice medieval albergue in Trinidad de Arres. Then we left early the next day and walked through before the run. We were able to watch it on TV from the other side of town when we stopped for breakfast in a cafe.

That year, I was walking with my 15 (soon to be 16) year old son, @Sue127, so my situation wasn't too dissimilar. We hadn't done a lot of training, so we ended up doing a few shorter days at the beginning (Zubiri to Trinidad de Arre, Trinidad de Arre to Zariquiegui via Eunate, Zariquiegui to Puente la Reina - about 15 km each day) before building up to longer days between 20 and 30 km.

I've walked 1 week before the first weekend of the S Fermines and the hospitalero of the Albergue Casa Paderborn (mostly german hospitaleros) told me that this Albergue is the only one accessible while the festival. It is situated outside the city walls and not as much affected by the festival. AFAIK you can reserve your stay. HTH

With just one week to go the city was packed with tourists strolling throughout the whole city and the setup for the coverage by the TV-stations was being set up.

BC
Roland

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.