• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF detour to Cañas

Time of past OR future Camino
2023: a bit of CF, then San Salvador & Primitivo
Hello, I've found some old info in this, but I'm hoping for an updated answer.

I'm hoping to make the detour described in Brierly's guide to Canas (between Najera and Santo Domingo dlC) in late May and hopefully find accommodation and food there. I can find no information on Gronze or in the Wise Pilgrim app. It seems pretty likely that there would be space available *if something is open*

I'd love to hear from anyone who has taken this detour recently and can advise me about accommodations and food options. It would probably be on a Sunday. Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you’re referring to the Las canas nature reserve the official website refers to accommodation in Estella. There doesn’t appear to be any thing at the reserve apart from some water and some ducks

I'm hoping to make the detour described in Brierly's guide to Canas (between Najera and Santo Domingo dlC) in late May and hopefully find accommodation and food there. I can find no information on Gronze or in the Wise Pilgrim app. It seems pretty likely that there would be space available *if something is open*

I'd love to hear from anyone who has taken this detour recently and can advise me about accommodations and food options. It would probably be on a Sunday. Thanks
I have not read Brierly. However if you mean the detour to the abbey do look at Cañas via Google maps. You can then tap on info for 2 places to stay, 1 resto/bar and most importantly through this link find current info on the hours for visiting the abbey or attending mass.

Happy planning and whenever/however you do go Buen camino.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Sorry, no recent info, but we detoured from Azofra to Cañas in 2014. Stayed in the Casona de Cañas and visited the Abadía after 5pm. We then walked on quiet roads the next day to rejoin the CF at Ciruena

Updated information. It closed to visitors, I think, in 2021. I can't see whether nor not the community has since vacated it, since the date of the linked article here, which if so would be incredibly sad. If it remains closed in May, then you might still consider walking on to the monasteries of Yuso and Suso, the outside of the convent shows the alabaster windows and is surrounded by vines. You don't have to do that from Azofra, of course, and there's also a bus route (terminates at Berceo or Estollo from/to Nájera, maybe bus then walk to the Camino at Cirueña - missing Cañas). Let's hope and pray that a reopening is still in the offing, and with the small community remaining I agree that it is likely at some point, given what is there. It is beautiful, and so totally understand why you want to see it. There is more accommodation and facilities at Alesanco. Here is an article from a year ago. https://www-larioja-com.translate.g...tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc !Hello, by the way!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This seems to be open in May, at least according to Booking.com, try this link below.

ALOJAMIENTO LA CASA DEL TIO CESAR EN CAÑAS

It is very expensive, but If you absolutely want to stay in Cañas,........
I would walk the 1 1/2h on to Cirueña or further to Sta. Domingo de la Calzada; alternatively call a taxi to get you there.

Taxi Tel. 629135393 or 659872863

Last edited:
If you’re referring to the Las canas nature reserve the official website refers to accommodation in Estella. There doesn’t appear to be any thing at the reserve apart from some water and some ducks
Thanks, that sounds interesting! Perhaps another time. I'm talking about the pueblo Cañas about 5km off the Frances from Azofra. There is a monastery there and legend has it that St. Francis of Assisi slept here on his way to Santiago.

I have not read Brierly. However if you mean the detour to the abbey do look at Cañas via Google maps. You can then tap on info for 2 places to stay, 1 resto/bar and most importantly through this link find current info on the hours for visiting the abbey or attending mass.

Happy planning and whenever/however you do go Buen camino.
Thank you for this tip. I did get some good info from Google maps and your link; the monastery is permanently closed, the affordable lodging is booked for the dates I needed, and there is a place that sells (and buys?) large quantities of potatoes, but watch out for the guy in charge; he's sneaky (google reviews). Sadly, I think I will pass by this detour,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
This seems to be open in May, at least according to Booking.com, try this link below.

ALOJAMIENTO LA CASA DEL TIO CESAR EN CAÑAS

It is very expensive, but If you absolutely want to stay in Cañas,........
I would walk the 1 1/2h on to Cirueña or further to Sta. Domingo de la Calzada; alternatively call a taxi to get you there.

Actually, this is a great idea. I had planned to walk on to Cirueña if I couldn't find lodging in Cañas, but I can always call a taxi to get me back to the camino!

Updated information. It closed to visitors, I think, in 2021. I can't see whether nor not the community has since vacated it, since the date of the linked article here, which if so would be incredibly sad. If it remains closed in May, then you might still consider walking on to the monasteries of Yuso and Suso, the outside of the convent shows the alabaster windows and is surrounded by vines. You don't have to do that from Azofra, of course, and there's also a bus route (terminates at Berceo or Estollo from/to Nájera, maybe bus then walk to the Camino at Cirueña - missing Cañas). Let's hope and pray that a reopening is still in the offing, and with the small community remaining I agree that it is likely at some point, given what is there. It is beautiful, and so totally understand why you want to see it. There is more accommodation and facilities at Alesanco. Here is an article from a year ago. https://www-larioja-com.translate.g...tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc !Hello, by the way!
Thank you for the link to the article. It is very sad about the closure of the monastery: just 5km off the Camino Frances, and with such important history. I do not think that I will get lodging in the town , but another person suggested calling a taxi, which would make the detour doable. I am in no rush, and this town seems like a real gem that a lot of people miss even though it's a shortish detour. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm happy to report that my plan to detour to Cañas at Azofra is back in play! If all goes as planned, I will do this on Sunday, May 28. This will be my second day on the Camino, and I will be starting from Ventosa that morning. I hope to visit the monastery Santa María de San Salvador de Cañas, now open for visitors! Depending on how it all works out, I will walk from there to Santo Domingo de la Calzada where I have a reservation. If it's getting late, I may call a taxi.

@pepi , thanks for the taxi phone numbers; I assume these are local to Cañas? And I assume this is a mobile number. My written/reading and spoken Spanish are much better than my listening Spanish!

Thanks, everyone, for all the help. My Camino is fast approaching!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back