• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF from SJPdP in the winter

tominrm

Time of past OR future Camino
I am trying to help a friend of mine who wants to start from SJPDP in late January. I believe Napoleon Route is closed for the winter.
Questions:
1. He will arrive in Madrid Airport( Barajas). In the summer I think I saw buses at the airport that goes to SJPdP. Is there such bus in late January? If not, what would be the best way to go to SJPdP from Barajas?
2. Is the tourist office in SJPdP open all year? He needs to buy a credential and ask about the route conditions.
3. Is it permitted to use Napoleon route if the weather / conditions is favorable?
4. What about Valcarlos route? Is it normally open all year unless the weather is bad?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Tom.

1. Madrid to Pamplona via flight, bus , or train. Taxi or bus to SJPdP.

2. Yes. Additionally, a Credencial may also be purchased through the Forum's store.

3. No, and heck no. :)

4. Yes.

The Route Napoleon is closed by local Spanish law until 31st March. No matter what the weather conditions may appear to be on any given day. The SJPDP pilgrim office is open every day and will provide a credencial and lots of useful information about routes, albergues and so on. I believe that the bus service from Pamplona to SJPDP is a seasonal one and I do not not think it operates in mid-winter. The Valcarlos route remains open all year round though in heavy snow it may be necessary to walk along the road rather than use the off-road paths. This is a fairly busy route linking Basque communities either side of the border and is usually well-cleared and maintained even in difficult weather.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Alsa/Conda bus from Pamplona to SJPdP does not run in the winter. That is probably the connection used by the Madrid/SJPdP bus. From Pamplona a taxi to SJ would be about 100 euros. The bus line Artieda Autocares has Mon-Sat service to Roncevalles (except on holidays.) PLM Autocares has non-holiday Tues and Fri service to Valcarlos and Arneguy. Start the camino from there or walk the camino in reverse into SJPdP and then walk it back the next day.

Use these pages for official information on the Pamplona to Roncevalles route:
Webpage description of services (Spanish):
http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=roncesvalles
Four page PDF with schedule (Spanish):
http://www.autocaresartieda.com/Pamplona_Roncesvalles_Pamplona.pdf

The PLM homepage and the Pamplona to Arnéguy schedule are at:
PLM homepage: https://plmautocares.com/
Webpage with schedule: https://www.plmautocares.com/horarios/

I THINK this could work also:

From San Sebastian town take train to Bayonne and another to SJPdP
From San Sebastian airport in Hondarribia (runway in river) walk or taxi the short distance across the river to Hendaye, France and take train to Bayonne and another to SJPdP.

https://www.4umaps.com/topomaps/preview/27552597_Hondarribia_M.jpg

Perhaps your friend could fly from Madrid to Biarritz/Bayonne and take the train or bus from there down to Saint Jean Pied de Port.
Having walked the Valcarlos route before I can say it is quite lovely, but one does have to use due caution on the portions where one walks along the highway. Be very mindful and alert.
If one does not want to walk all the way to Roncesvalles that first day, the albergue at Valcarlos is nice, and there are places to eat in Valcarlos as well as a grocer's shoppe.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've been trying to search: when does Alsa resume bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP?

Last edited:
Thanks, Rick. That might be why I couldn't find anything online about April 2019 schedules. When I walked the CF in 2016 I used the services of Corazon Pura (of blessed memory) to get me to SJPdP. I'm going in April again -- I won't worry now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back