• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF in 26 days?

Mariya

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 - Camino Portugues
Dear All,

I always though that I will not have enough time to do CF, as it takes more than 4 weeks.
But recently I found a walking guide which divides all the route into 26 stages; and in this guide the level of difficulty is indicated as "easy".
I would be very interested to know the opinion of those who actually did CF if this plan can really be considered as easy, and is it doable for not a trained person (of 34-35 years old)?
The stages are:
1. Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Orreaga/Roncesvalles
2. Orreaga/Roncesvalles to Larrasoaña
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
4. Uterga to Estella/Lizarra
5. Estella/Lizarra to Torres del Río
6. Torres del Río to Navarrete
7. Navarrete to Azofra
8. Azofra to Viloria de Rioja
9.Viloria de Rioja to San Juan de Ortega
10.San Juan de Ortega to Burgos
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

13. Frómista to Carrión de los Condes
14. Carrión de los Condes to Moratinos
15. Moratinos to El Burgo Ranero
16. El Burgo Ranero to León

17. León to Hospital de Órbigo
18. Hospital de Órbigo to Rabanal del Camino
19. Rabanal del Camino to Ponferrada
20. Ponferrada to Trabadelo
21.Trabadelo to Fonfría
22. Fonfría to Vilei (Barbadelo)
23. Vilei (Barbadelo) to Ventas de Narón
24. Ventas de Narón to Melide
25. Melide to Santa Irene
26. Santa Irene to Santiago de Compostela

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is doable but you have no downtime, no rest days, no emergency days. Go, remember if you want your Compostela you must walk last 100kms, then let camino determine your path. You may need a bus every now and again if you are pressed for time. And, please don't allow yourself to get bogged down in "am I a true pilgrim blues", if you must become a multi-transport pilgrim.

Yes, I would totally agree with @nycwalking - staying flexible with your plans is absolutely necessary - if you need rest days take them and then take a bus, skipping some sections (apart from the last 100km). Both times i've walked i've had unexpected issues - a broken rucksack in 2015 and both times a chest infection that left me feeling very rough.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dear All,

I always though that I will not have enough time to do CF, as it takes more than 4 weeks.
But recently I found a walking guide which divides all the route into 26 stages; and in this guide the level of difficulty is indicated as "easy".
I would be very interested to know the opinion of those who actually did CF if this plan can really be considered as easy, and is it doable for not a trained person (of 34-35 years old)?
The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría

This schedule is doable but very optimistic considering your own words "not a trained person". A more realistic schedule would or should include a few rest days, I would suggest at least one in Burgos and Leon. Although you may be able to walk 30 Kms in a day doing it for 26 days in a row is pretty hard on the body without some recovery time.

The other issue will be that you will make some significant friends along the way, and they won't be "running" the camino but will be going at a more moderate pace of 20 kms a day and there is a good chance you will want to meet up with them most evenings and stay on somewhat of the same schedule. Most experienced walkers will do it in 32-35 days, to answer your questions "not easy".

A lot of things need to go right to complete the full Camino Frances and the most important one is the ability for you body to handle this marathon of a walk.

You will be doing many stages with more than 30 km. There are many that would give me pause: Hospital de Orbigo to Rabanal (37 km), Fonfría to Barbadelo (39); I think this is well over the average distance for pilgrims (and recommended by most guides).
Trabadelo to Fonfría does not seem as too much (31) but includes a serious climb to O Cebreiro. I am taking the distances of the Godesalco planifier -I suggest you take a look at it.
As doable, it is doable. A Canadian pilgrim, Randall Saint Martin, wrote a book about "The Camino de Santiago in twenty days". But why do that? Remember, there is not such a thing as "all the route" (many pilgrims actually start in Le Puy and other places in France, hundreds of kms before SJPP).
Anyway you choose, have a Buen Camino!

Last edited:
@Mariya - Hola - the camino is not a race; it is meant to be a pilgrimage (depending upon your viewpoint). I agree with earlier comments - recommend scheduling a rest day in Burgos and Leon. These are great historical, culturally important cities and unless you have already seen them I would definitely consider adding a few extra days. Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will be doing many stages with more than 30 km. There are many that would give me pause: Hospital de Orbigo to Rabanal (37 km), Fonfría to Barbadelo (39); I think this is well over the average distance for pilgrims (and recommended by most guides).
Trabadelo to Fonfría does not seem as too much (31) but includes a serious climb to O Cebreiro. I am taking the distances of the Godesalco planifier -I suggest you take a look at it.
As doable, it is doable. A Canadian pilgrim, Randall Sain Martin, wrote a book about "The Camino de Santiago in twenty days". But why do that? Remember, there is not such a thing as "all the route" (many pilgrims actually start in Le Puy and other places in France, hundreds of kms before SJPP).
Anyway you choose, have a Buen Camino!
Thank you very much!
The link you gave is really great!

As stated the Camino is not a race, it is an experience. Walking at that pace and daily distances you are unlikely to have many to walk with more than once and also you are always be ahead of those that you do meet and not meet them again. The friendships you make and the 'Camino Community' that is created along everyone's trek is to me the greatest experience of all. If I was restricted by time I would as suggest reduce the distance, start in Burgos for instance.

Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría

Mariya:

I think it is very doable in your time frame or less. The key, imo, is to walk long days on the Meseta (ie:
on a nice day once I walked from Fromista to San Nichols. I plan to walk the route beginning April 12th/13th in 24/5 days this Spring.

There are lots of people who do not walk 20-25 km days (Beatrice comes to mind). I do not understand the rush statements. You have 4 weeks and it can be walked in 4 weeks. Some of us can still smell the roses and walk longer days. I did not miss anything the day I walked 50 km.

That said, you will probably not be staying with the same people every night but you will meet many more. I suggest you start out slowly to ease your body into walking but the Meseta is made for longer days.

Averaging 30-35 km's a day is not outrageous. An 8 hour day with two 15 min. breaks and a 30 min. lunch you only have to walk 5 km's (3 mph not exactly racing along) an hour to walk 35 km's.

I am not going to judge others but I do not understand folks standing in queues at noon or 2:00 pm when Albergues open at 4:00 pm. I walk 30-40 km stages daily on the Camino and I am 66.

The time of year could make a difference. I probably would not walk at that pace in mid-summer. I walk in the Spring time.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mariya,

My first Camino I had 42 days allotted and made it in 27 days. Two days were less than 6km and two days were over 50km. I was not in a hurry (my opinion) but I did have days where I walked 10 hours or more. YMMV! Oh, yeah. I turned 59 the week I got back home and I did stay and enjoy all 42 days.

Mike

The Forwalk website is very interesting. I am wondering if it will allow me to adjust their suggested etapas.

Many people - myself included - have walked from St Jean to Santiago in 26 days or less. I would not describe that as "easy" for most walkers and I think it is foolish of a guide writer to say so. Are you sure that the "easy" comment does not relate to individual days rather than the overall time frame? If you do not have much walking experience and are not already confident in your ability to walk an average of 30km per day over many days then I feel you would be better off starting closer to Santiago and walking shorter stages.

The Forwalk website is very interesting. I am wondering if it will allow me to adjust their suggested etapas.
I really like the ForWalk site, and you can customize it. I noticed though that its format has changed a bit from when I used it. And maybe when they changed the formatting they accidentally changed that 26 day schedule to "easy", because I'm pretty sure that it was rated as "difficult", with the 35 day plan being "easy", and the 31 day plan as "medium".

Well, only you know what you might be able to do. I would suggest you take a weekend to walk 35 km back to back, with a backpack, and see how you do.

You would find me in tears in the side of the raod if I had to do it, but I have come across a number of people over a few Caminos who can happily do 50km a day, back to back.

This being said, they tend to walk into albergues much later and sometimes had no bed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are you sure that the "easy" comment does not relate to individual days rather than the overall time frame?
Thanks for your advice!
Yes, I was also surprised that this plan is marked as "easy", but maybe by mistake. Some stages of it are classified as "hard".

I always think it's nonsense when people say it's too far to walk in a day. Or you'll be walking too quickly. Or it's not a race. What they really mean is they couldn't do it or wouldn't want to do it.
It doesn't matter wether it's a walk, a run, a swim or a bike ride. Some people can do more distance than others in any given period of time.
Some people could do what you want to do with no problem. My guess is that most people would find it challenging.
The first 2 days are done by many people.
I walked the Burgos-Hontanas stage too.
I also walked shorter stages and had rest days (but no rest days after León).
My suggestion would be to start with your plan and see how it goes. If you get an injury or slow down for another reason you may have to get transport to get back on schedule. Don't beat yourself up about doing so.
I wanted to walk the Meseta (and did) but met quite a few people who didn't want to and weren't going to. I didn't think any better or worse about them, and they certainly weren't beating themselves up about not walking it.
Or you could always jump ahead of your schedule if you find it hard going. That would allow you to do shorter distances. My favourites if i had to choose were probably SJPdP - Roncesvalles, and all of Galicia, so i couldn't recommend skipping any of that.
Good luck.

And maybe when they changed the formatting they accidentally changed that 26 day schedule to "easy", because I'm pretty sure that it was rated as "difficult", with the 35 day plan being "easy", and the 31 day plan as "medium".
Thanks for your comment! That would explain a lot :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or you could always jump ahead of your schedule if you find it hard going. That would allow you to do shorter distances. My favourites if i had to choose were probably SJPdP - Roncesvalles, and all of Galicia, so i couldn't recommend skipping any of that.
Good luck.
Thank you!
Your advice is very helpful, probably it's better to think about possible options beforehand.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not a trained person"...do you mean you didn't train at all? At any age, training is helpful and I would suggest. I remember thinking before walking the Camino Frances..."how hard could it be, it's only walking"...that was a mistake. There are lots of variables on whether you at 35 and untrained could walk the schedule you listed. Are you untrained but healthy and athletic? I believe the schedule you proposed is physically doable but not by everyone. The path isn't as easy as "just walking". If you make it in 26 days as you plan...awesome...but, if you don't...that's awesome too. “To understand the limitation of things, desire them." ― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching - Buen Camino my friend.

I did it in 25 days in 2014. This was without rest days and with good luck. I was very fit, having started from Narbonne. In 2015 I found it hard going as I suffered a chest infection and took a bus from Burgos to Leon. I was in my late 50s. I know a woman in her 30s who has done it in 20 days.

The original question is very open-ended but I'll add another personal opinion to the list
Of course, it can be done but you will have to walk 30km per day on average - I can do this in a little over 6 hours - so the first thing you should do is see how far you can walk at home in say 4 hours (and then subtract 10-15% from your km/hr rate for walking twice that far in a day)
It also depends on what time of the year you go and, if you wish to stay in albergues, what time you will need to arrive to get a bed
I myself wear trail runners, a pack that weighs under 3kg plus water and tend to stay in hotels so that I can walk 10-11 hours per day
Yes, you'll miss out on the social aspect of the Camino but each to their own
Alternatively, you might split your CF in two - nothing says that you can't do part in May and return in September to finish it off, for example

CF in 26 days - WHY? Santiago is indeed your goal, arriving there is an emotional experience. You are waiving two weeks and more of admiring beautiful scenery as you rush by, abandoning outstanding architecture and art, relinguishing the camaraderie of fellow pilgrims as you run by or off, as well as risking blisters, hamstring, and dehydration. A bit of poetry please Scruff:
Ithaka by C.F. Cavafy simply exchange Santiago for Ithaka
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
angry Poseidon—don’t be afraid of them:
you’ll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
wild Poseidon—you won’t encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

Hope your road is a long one.
May there be many summer mornings when,
with what pleasure, what joy,
you enter harbors you’re seeing for the first time;
may you stop at Phoenician trading stations
to buy fine things,
mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
sensual perfume of every kind—
as many sensual perfumes as you can;
and may you visit many Egyptian cities
to learn and go on learning from their scholars.

Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you’re destined for.
But don’t hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you’re old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you’ve gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.

Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you wouldn't have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka won’t have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you’ll have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.

Why are people suggesting that to walk the Camino Frances in 26 days is to run.
8 hours walking at 4km per hour covers 32km.
I can walk faster than 4km per hour, and do so consistently, not just for one hour.
Imagine, a person driving a car at 40km per hour. That person could easily see a nice building that they might want to visit sometime. Look at an attractive person. Read a sign. Think to themselves 'oh look some horses in a field' or, 'see that pheasant running along side the road'.
What is it that a person driving a car at 40km per hour can see and appreciate, that a person walking just over 4km per hour can't?
I occasionally jog to keep fit, and because i like it. I'm totally aware of my surroundings as i do so, i can appreciate what's around me, and even stop to take pictures of things i find interesting.
Who is to say that a person can't walk 30+km per day and still stop for coffees (and brandy in my case) and visit churches and stop for picnics? It can be done, i've met people who do it easily. And i've done it occasionally myself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Mariya, yes it’s doable. If I tried to attempt it in 26 days I would first make sure that I was very fit, strong and healthy. Travel very, very light – 6kg backpack maximum. Have the itinerary with me, but stay very flexible and open-minded, so that if tired I could stop earlier, but equally, if strong, keep going. I would also take John Brierley with me, so I knew all the accommodation options, and variant routes. If you suffer an injury, be prepared to hole up for a few days and then take a bus to get you back on schedule. Do your homework (John Brierley) the night before each stage; some places may get filled up before you arrive, and if there are limited accommodation options at the next place, you could phone ahead to a private albergue and book a bed letting them know you will be late (e.g. Uterga springs to mind). Phone again as you get closer. Have fun! And let us know how you get on! Jill

Who is to say that a person can't walk 30+km per day and still stop for coffees (and brandy in my case) and visit churches and stop for picnics? It can be done, i've met people who do it easily. And i've done it occasionally myself.
Very much my experience. I do not walk in the dark so am often amongst the last to set off. I stop for coffee and beer breaks and wherever something of interest catches my eye. If there is a good opportunity for a menu del dia then I have a long leisurely lunch. Then I walk a few more hours. For me the factor that restricts my camino walking more than anything else is pressure on bed spaces: if I walk as late as I would wish (say till 5 or 6 pm) there can be problems finding a bed. Take that issue away and 30 or 35km in a day is perfectly normal and comfortable for me. In no way a race or a strain or some masochistic penitential exercise. As for not "smelling the roses": my nose stills works at 5kph and I can multitask at least that much :)

I do not walk in the dark so am often amongst the last to set off.
Me too. I only set off in the dark once, that was to arrive at the cathedral in Santiago in time for the morning service.
Best of all, leaving after most others means the dorm is peaceful, and no queue in the bathroom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría

Yes. I walked sjpdep to Burgos last October in 10 days. I am not exactly young near 70 yrs. about 10 of people who started same day entered Burgos with me. If you keep injury free No Problem

Why would you want to do it in that time frame apart from wanting to be able to tick it off your list of 'must do' things.

Camino's are meant to be enjoyed so they should be done slowly,(like a good meal) 20 to 22 km a day to me is ideal. You may only walk one Camino in your life so take your time and enjoy the walk.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not a trained person"...do you mean you didn't train at all? At any age, training is helpful and I would suggest. I remember thinking before walking the Camino Frances..."how hard could it be, it's only walking"...that was a mistake. There are lots of variables on whether you at 35 and untrained could walk the schedule you listed. Are you untrained but healthy and athletic? I believe the schedule you proposed is physically doable but not by everyone. The path isn't as easy as "just walking". If you make it in 26 days as you plan...awesome...but, if you don't...that's awesome too. “To understand the limitation of things, desire them." ― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching - Buen Camino my friend.
Thank you, Debora!
By "not trained" I mean that I don't do physical excersises. But doctors consider me healthy :)
And when I come to a big city as a tourist, I never use public transportation, often just walk from morning till evening with very few stops. But I never did it for several days in a row. So it's hard for me to understand if I'm capable to walk the Camino following this plan or not...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Alternatively, you might split your CF in two - nothing says that you can't do part in May and return in September to finish it off, for example
Thank you for your comment!
Do I understand correctly that, if to do the Camino partly, I can come back later with the same pilgrim passport?

Thank you, Debora!
By "not trained" I mean that I don't do physical excersises. But doctors consider me healthy :)
And when I come to a big city as a tourist, I never use public transportation, often just walk from morning till evening with very few stops. But I never did it for several days in a row. So it's hard for me to understand if I'm capable to walk the Camino following this plan or not...

My view is that, as long as you look after your feet, you should be able to keep walking each and every day - rest days are optional not compulsory

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Mariya, yes it’s doable. If I tried to attempt it in 26 days I would first make sure that I was very fit, strong and healthy. Travel very, very light – 6kg backpack maximum. Have the itinerary with me, but stay very flexible and open-minded, so that if tired I could stop earlier, but equally, if strong, keep going. I would also take John Brierley with me, so I knew all the accommodation options, and variant routes. If you suffer an injury, be prepared to hole up for a few days and then take a bus to get you back on schedule. Do your homework (John Brierley) the night before each stage; some places may get filled up before you arrive, and if there are limited accommodation options at the next place, you could phone ahead to a private albergue and book a bed letting them know you will be late (e.g. Uterga springs to mind). Phone again as you get closer. Have fun! And let us know how you get on! Jill
Thank you, Jill! What you mentioned is really, really important.

Do I understand correctly that, if to do the Camino partly, I can come back later with the same pilgrim passport?

Yes. Many people do that. Just be sure to have your credencial stamped and dated wherever you finish walking, then again if/when you start from there again. Mainly for your own interest. If you want to receive a Compostela when you do reach Santiago the only qualification is that you must have walked at least the final 100km. You prove that by being sure to have at least two stamps per day in the last 100km. That is very easy to do - MANY places will offer to stamp your credencial.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take that issue away and 30 or 35km in a day is perfectly normal and comfortable for me. In no way a race or a strain or some masochistic penitential exercise. As for not "smelling the roses": my nose stills works at 5kph and I can multitask at least that much :)
That was actually my point when I first got excited about that plan: when you walk 20 km per day, you should normally have more than half a day free. I'm going alone, and if I don't make friends on my way, I even don't know what will keep me busy for the rest of the day. On the other hand, I don't know how physically exhausting it may be to walk such long distances.

Yes. I walked sjpdep to Burgos last October in 10 days. I am not exactly young near 70 yrs. about 10 of people who started same day entered Burgos with me. If you keep injury free No Problem
That's probably a silly question, but are injuries frequent on the Camino? Or this can be considered as bad luck and there's no need to plan extra time beforehand?

Why would you want to do it in that time frame apart from wanting to be able to tick it off your list of 'must do' things.

Camino's are meant to be enjoyed so they should be done slowly,(like a good meal) 20 to 22 km a day to me is ideal. You may only walk one Camino in your life so take your time and enjoy the walk.
A person who walks only 10 to 15 km per day (and there are some) might suggest to you that you are walking too much per day. And that you can't possibly enjoy yourself because you walk 20 to 22km per day.
You might think that that person is wrong as you can manage 20 to 22km per day just fine.
What suits one does not necessarily suit another.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have often pondered on the reverse of your question: why would someone make the big investment in time and money to walk the Camino only to walk for a few short hours each morning, stop at noon or 1pm at an albergue in a small village, then have to scratch around to find ways to fill up their time until bed? Why such short stages - isn't walking a big part of the experience? Each to their own. I try not to speculate on other peoples' personal motivation or assume that my own choices are the only acceptable ones.

Last edited:
The reason is that coming to SdC has religious meaning for me. But I also do not want to miss any point on the Camino. And I'm limited in time :(
Consider renting a bicycle for a portion of the meseta. This is easy to do. Check out some of the other threads on the forum for more information.

Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría
When we walked our first Camino in2005, we gave ourselves 30 days in which to walk it
We completed it in 26 days mainly because we were so full of excitement and adrenaline!!
We did not follow any book...just stopped when we felt tired
We enjoyed every step of the way and met people that we are still in contact with
With the remaining days left to come home......we went to finisterre by bus and rested there
Keeping to stages given in someone else's book might not be the best thing to do as you may the be put under pressure to complete each stage,,each day and not enjoy the experience.
And if you have blister or ill health problems,then keeping to set stages may not be possible.
We did learn a lot in2005 re blisters etc which has held us in good stead.
In 2005 there were far less places to stay than there are now so I don't think you will have problems in that respect

In 2015 we gave ourselves 30 days to complete the journey and it was just as enjoyable as the first time and subsequent ones in between!
This year we have 32 days...getting older you see!!
We do however walk a lot anyway so are reasonably fit at 67 years
Personally,I would miss a step of the way,so why not start in jpdp and see how far you get
You can always return to complete your journey to Santiago
Whatever you decide ..have a great Camino and best wishes Annette

Thank you for your comment!
Absolutely! Or with a new one, it doesn't matter. Your Camino may be one week, 100km, or 12 weeks and started from wherewver. You don't register in, you just to a point on it and start walking. So if thinking it has a starting point, and that you must get to Santiago in one go, please know that is not the case.

You are getting good advice here. Yes it is doable, for some. With or without already being an active person, for some.

I know I cover 3km an hour on the Camino: short legs, unbalanced on uneven terrain, so by the time it's 3 pm or so I have only covered 21 km or so and I am done! I want a shower, I want to put my feet up. But some people will walk the 21 km and be done by noon: they must be bored out of their minds in an dorm in a small and sometimes quasi-deserted village waiting for when it's time to count sheep, so I can see why key keep walking for a few more hours.

But walk at 3 km an hour and aim to get to Santiago in 26 days and you will miss out on a lot of the social aspect of the Frances which is in my opinion what makes it the Frances. If you don't care about the social aspect, like so many of us here who walk other much more solitary Caminos, then just make sure you plan on getting a bed.

That's probably a silly question, but are injuries frequent on the Camino? Or this can be considered as bad luck and there's no need to plan extra time beforehand?
Oh yes they are, and not just dor the old. I have seen so many 20 things with shinsplints, tendonitis and stress fractures. Not bad luck: just doing too much.

I know this is wrong, but it has often made me smile, especially after said thin, tall and 20 something person kept telling me "you can do it, why will you stop only at x, I am going to x+10km". :cool: Lafontaine tried to teach us as children when he wrote The tortoise and the hare!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would guess that injuries of one kind or another are fairly common. Be it tendonitis or sunburn or blisters or torn muscles or injuries from tripping. If you can think of something that could possibly go wrong, then it has probably gone wrong for someone at sometime.
It needn't be an injury, it could be sickness or something else.
A relative was put out of action while on holiday with a severe tooth infection. Most things can't be planned for, wether on a Camino or in day to day life.
I imagine that the harder you push your body the more likely your are to have a problem.
I certainly didn't feel i was pushing myself on the Camino Frances, indeed i thought i was taking it a bit too easy. A couple of days later i had a problem with my leg, and needed to rest.
Other people i met who i had been walking with from time to time and were older than me and i would say not so fit, had no problems at all.
That said, i walked from Le Puy to Roncesvalles a few months later, in 31 days, no rest days, no injuries, i felt i was flying along, stopped for coffees and cognac and lunch every day, stopped in every church i passed.
What i did do differently was drink more water.
You can try to minimise risk, and really that is all you can do.
The shortest days walking on the Frances was 10km. Which was when i realised i had left my passport in the previous albergue, i took a taxi back which took quite a while for me to sort out. Then i got the same taxi to take me back to where is was when i realised i forgot my passport. That was enough for one day.

That was actually my point when I first got excited about that plan: when you walk 20 km per day, you should normally have more than half a day free. I'm going alone, and if I don't make friends on my way, I even don't know what will keep me busy for the rest of the day. On the other hand, I don't know how physically exhausting it may be to walk such long distances.
The thing is, before you do the Camino you really don't know how you're going to feel about it. Just because you are traveling to Spain alone doesn't mean that you have to walk alone, unless that is your choice. For me, and I know many others, the Camino is not simply a walk with the goal of arriving in Santiago. It is about the people that we meet along the way. You may find that you fall in with people that you enjoy walking with that are walking shorter stages. You need to leave yourself open to what the Camino gives you, and that can require flexibility in your schedule.

So your options include:
1. Walking a shorter route. I see that you have the Portuguese route in your profile. Was that your original plan? The Primitivo would be another option.
2. Starting on the Frances closer to Santiago
3. Going with the 26 day plan, with the knowledge that you might change your mind about the pace and finish the Camino at another time.

Whatever you decide Buen Camino!

If you go to the threads in "live from the camino" and search for postings by "Grogan" you can read about his trip that took about 26 days. He was flying across Spain and most nights posted his days journey on the forum. He has a really good sense of humour and his postings are very interesting. Someone on this forum may know an easier way to read his postings or someone might know how to link to his blog.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Starting in Logroño would be much more realistic -- I've walked from SJPP to Compostela in that time twice, but in both cases I was very much "in training" and physically up to it, having already been walking for several weeks before reaching SJPP.

Otherwise there is no requirement whatsoever to start anywhere in particular, unless you follow the "purist" route of starting from your parish altar or from your front door.

a lady in 2015 did it in 18 days....she couldn't tell you anything about her experience because she might have well been on a treadmill...i did it in 35 days plus my two rest days....still were some long days

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you go to the threads in "live from the camino" and search for postings by "Grogan" you can read about his trip that took about 26 days. He was flying across Spain and most nights posted his days journey on the forum. He has a really good sense of humour and his postings are very interesting. Someone on this forum may know an easier way to read his postings or someone might know how to link to his blog.

Just go to search bar and type in Grogan.

Dear Mariya,

The only way you'll find out whether 30km/day is something you can or want to do is to walk. Nobody can tell you what a good daily distance is, you have to find out for yourself. There are 60 years old people who walk 35km per day and find it easy, and 20 years old people who find a 20km day hard, and the other way around.

Nobody can know what you'll be comfortable with.

If in any way possible, go for a two or three days long hike locally. Doesn't have to be a beautiful route, just walk from town to town if that's the only thing that's possible, with a filled backpack of course and the shoes you intend to wear on the Camino. You can bus back home for the night, or stay at a pension or hotel or whatever you can find.

After that you'll have an idea what kind of daily distance feels ok.

That way you can make a decision based on your own experience, and find a solution that is most likely to work for you.

[Edit: Also, the better you know what kind of daily distance and pace works well for you, the less likely you'll get injured or sick]

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Just go to search bar and type in Grogan.
Here is a link to his profile. Click on the Postings tab and you will see the last of his posts. At the bottom of that page, click on the selection Find all threads by Grogan, and that will bring up the latest threads he created reporting on his pilgrimage. At the bottom of that page you will find the link to the next page of these links.

As for the OP's two questions:
  1. would a 26 day plan be considered easy? I don't think so. The pattern requires many 30+ km days, some of which include substantial climbs. That is hard, albeit interspersed with days that will not be so demanding.
  2. could it be done by someone who has not trained? My first thought is that it will be risky. First, you would find it difficult to sustain the distances day after day. Second, you run a greater risk of minor injuries that might not stop you but will definitely slow you down. Strains, sprains and blisters come immediately to mind.
And if you are seriously thinking of doing this, why wouldn't you start doing some conditioning training now, and build up your walking fitness, condition your feet, and in doing that reduce the risk of not achieving your goal?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear Mariya,

Love your name! Almost like Moruya, which is the huge metropolis (7,500people just up the road a few k from where I live and where I go to window shop in wonder and delight).

But I did it in 26 days in winter 2014 at age 69. There were few people around at the time, but numbers I crossed paths with did it in the same time or even a day or so less. I don't believe any of these people aside from me were on this site. I was the oldest but there were a couple of wonderful Catalan gents who would have been around 60, who were very fit and who had done it times before, a young Korean couple who turned out weren't actually a couple, several young Italian blokes, to remember a few. Generally they were pretty fit. The weather was, for the most part, vile.

I was on a schedule having to meet my wife and sister-in-law at a pre-determined time in A Coruna (i'm terrified of them both) so didn't muck around, but had a half day break each in Burgos and Ponferrada.

I forgot about a schedule after the first three days, simply headed off in the dark before 7 stopped after a couple of hours for breakfast (the bars didn't open till then). And just walked on until I started to feel a bit tired.

I was slow until Estella as I walked with a small party, only matching the Brierly schedule, but headed off on my own and kicked along after that. Basically I found I was managing one or two villages further each day than Brierly looked at, this proved no worry and the extra distances soon added up. I did take the Samos route but did Alto de Poio to Sarria in one stage despite the snow and rain.

As a suggestion, and there are lots more experienced and wiser than me, forget about a schedule, just get out and walk until you feel you've had about enough for the day. And keep your pack weight down. Mine started out at 16k which I whittled down to 12 by Ponferrada( there were other reasons for this stuff, including three months in Spain and "staying alive" medication) - even a heavy pack should feel like it's not there after 100 yards or so, but does begin to tell after 20k or so. I guess I thought I could still hack a 30plus k pack like I did in my youth but I was wrong!

So just get out and go! It's not a wilderness trek after all, just a rather long walk, and you have age on your side.

De Colores,

Bogong

are injuries frequent on the Camino?

Oh yes. On the Camino del Norte in October we had a flu epidemic. At the crowded albergue in Deba people were coughing and wheezing all night. The rest of us had no chance. I had already been walking long distances for 3 weeks and was fit and healthy, but this grabbed me by the throat and throttled me. Most victims holed up for a few days. I kept going but could only manage about 10kms a day before having to veer into a pension (guest house), collapse and sleep. Jill

just my 2 cents worth
I DID train and was putting in 15 mile hikes 3 times a week .
And I needed that, as it showed the weakness in my gait, ankle, and foot, and gave me a chance to find a solution (custom orthotics) ahead of time that allowed me to complete the Camino pain free. Had I waited to learn those lessons on the Camino, it would have been a different experience . Training also allowed me to test out EVERYONE's ideas and find what did and didn't work for me, again, which lead to a blister free Camino.

I did take the advice here and set my first week as a building of miles to prevent over use injuries.
After I recovered from an illness, I had been walking long enough that I hit a natural stride.
That stride turned out to be 5+ KM an hour (clocked by guys with their phones who were "impressed")
This speed was quite natural and comfortable and I could and did go on for miles without effort ( so a 30-35 km day became common)
I did have time to take detours and enjoy a lunch even if hand carried. I added a security blanket of reserving a bed so that I could travel far and wide

What it did create however, was a seclusion that others mention- Most people were not doing my speed, so I was not joining groups as I went along, and few walked at that speed, so I had few companions along the way. As an introvert I love peace and silence (and selfishly loved not having to compromise my choices for another) BUT I was aware that this lone walk missed some elements that others who traveled together enjoyed.

None of anyone's approaches to the speed, length or continuity of their Camino are wrong. Each person here has expressed an opinion based on their experiences and preferences. What each of us wants out of this pilgrimage, what each of us puts into it, will be so unique. What one person says "why would you want to...." another feels is the heart of their goal.
And some have the mental fortitude and desire to push through any potential pain from lack of prior training and love it. Others find no value in the struggle
What do you want and how hard do you want to work to get it?
Buen Camino
Nanc

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
just my 2 cents worth
I DID train and was putting in 15 mile hikes 3 times a week .
And I needed that, as it showed the weakness in my gait, ankle, and foot, and gave me a chance to find a solution (custom orthotics) ahead of time that allowed me to complete the Camino pain free. Had I waited to learn those lessons on the Camino, it would have been a different experience . Training also allowed me to test out EVERYONE's ideas and find what did and didn't work for me, again, which lead to a blister free Camino.

I did take the advice here and set my first week as a building of miles to prevent over use injuries.
After I recovered from an illness, I had been walking long enough that I hit a natural stride.
That stride turned out to be 5+ KM an hour (clocked by guys with their phones who were "impressed")
This speed was quite natural and comfortable and I could and did go on for miles without effort ( so a 30-35 km day became common)
I did have time to take detours and enjoy a lunch even if hand carried. I added a security blanket of reserving a bed so that I could travel far and wide

What it did create however, was a seclusion that others mention- Most people were not doing my speed, so I was not joining groups as I went along, and few walked at that speed, so I had few companions along the way. As an introvert I love peace and silence (and selfishly loved not having to compromise my choices for another) BUT I was aware that this lone walk missed some elements that others who traveled together enjoyed.

None of anyone's approaches to the speed, length or continuity of their Camino are wrong. Each person here has expressed an opinion based on their experiences and preferences. What each of us wants out of this pilgrimage, what each of us puts into it, will be so unique. What one person says "why would you want to...." another feels is the heart of their goal.
And some have the mental fortitude and desire to push through any potential pain from lack of prior training and love it. Others find no value in the struggle
What do you want and how hard do you want to work to get it?
Buen Camino
Nanc
It's too bad that I was walking a couple of weeks ahead of you, because I walk at about the same pace as you. I often slowed down to walk with people, but apparently I didn't slow down enough, because several times people would tell me that they couldn't keep up, and that I should go ahead. ;)

Is the CF doable in 26 days? Most definitely, but should you? A friend of mine and I did it in 20 days, and we were more than 20 years your senior. But, one of the big take aways from that experience for me was to slow and down and take it all in.

Buen Camino!!!

I don't like to spend half a day inside the albergue if I can keep on walking.

Your body will be fine if you take an eye on some points:

- Drink water whenever you can, don't wait till you need it.
- Don't walk without a stop for more than two hours.
- Let your feet breath everytime you take a break; take your shoes and socks off.
- Do not carry a heavy backpack, carry just what's necessary.
- Use the best garments you can afford, footwear specially.

Enjoy it.

I contacted ForWalk.org to let them know that all three Frances plans were showing as "easy".
They have changed the 26 and 31 day plans to "medium", though I think that when I first looked at the site the 26 day plan was rated as difficult.

Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría

If you are walking the Camino in 26 days because you want to walk it in 26 days, then yes, it's possible. I couldn't do it last year do to inexperience and lack of preparation but I perhaps may be able to do that this year if I were walking the France Way again. I wouldn't though because walking at a medium pace doesn't give you time to enjoy a little.

€60,-
I don't like to spend half a day inside the albergue if I can keep on walking.

Your body will be fine if you take an eye on some points:

- Drink water whenever you can, don't wait till you need it.
- Don't walk without a stop for more than two hours.
- Let your feet breath everytime you take a break; take your shoes and socks off.
- Do not carry a heavy backpack, carry just what's necessary.
- Use the best garments you can afford, footwear specially.

Enjoy it.

It can be done!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I don't like to spend half a day inside the albergue if I can keep on walking
I don't like to spend half a day inside an albergue either, if I can help it. That doesn't mean that I want to walk until 5:00 pm.
I liked getting to the albergue around 2:00, then shower, wash clothes, maybe have a little rest. By then it's close to 4:00. Plenty of time to explore the town or village I'm in, meet up with other pilgrims, hang out in the plaza, etc.

I contacted ForWalk.org to let them know that all three Frances plans were showing as "easy".
They have changed the 26 and 31 day plans to "medium", though I think that when I first looked at the site the 26 day plan was rated as difficult.

26 to 31 days is indeed medium - about four weeks for healthy walkers in decent shape and the basics of hiking experience. But I don't think it's something you can count on if you're a first-timer -- the learning curve and the physical challenge (including the blisters !) can slow you down during the first week or longer, or maybe you just prefer a slower pace, or maybe your health isn't up to it, or maybe you'll want to set your pace to that of a slower compañero/a who you may have bonded with, or &c. ...

In my present state of health it'd take me 45 days or longer, though in the past I've done the SJPP to Santiago portion in about 20. Being realistic about what you yourself are capable of will be the best indicator of how long it will take you and/or where you should start in cases of time limits.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría
Hi Mariya, whenever you think you can do it go for it.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I have skimmed through a couple of these posts, and as always we have a wide range of opinion. It's hard not to be judgmental on this topic, because everyone see their chosen way of walking the camino as "best." And of course it is best, for the individual who has chosen it. I always cringe when I read those "smell the roses" post, not because I disagree with the sentiment, but because I think it typically embodies a judgment that the roses can't be smelled at more than 30 km a day and that is simply false in my opinion.

I used to be one of those who walked the "average" 25-28 km a day, but one year discovered that I was comfortable and actually enjoyed longer days more. I know enjoy the 30-35 km range, even though I'm ten years older than when I was doing the shorter days. You'll never know till you try.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a huge cultural variation in tems of what it means to be "fit." In the US, it tends to mean sculpted abs, able to lift huge weights, etc. And in the US, the average physical activity level is so much lower than in western Europe that it's hard to make comparisons. I have met tons of 50-65 yo western Europeans who did not "train" for the Camino, but who had no problem with the 30-35 km days because they started out at a much higher level of fitness.

So, IMO, this difference makes the "easy" vs. "hard" designation virtually meaningless. I don't think you will know till you do it, so my advice would be to see how it goes, don't lock yourself into any set of stages, and adjust once your body tells you how it likes the drill. No matter how many kms you walk a day, the Camino will give you so much more than you ever could imagine! Buen camino, Laurie

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a huge cultural variation in tems of what it means to be "fit." In the US, it tends to mean sculpted abs, able to lift huge weights, etc. And in the US, the average physical activity level is so much lower than in western Europe that it's hard to make comparisons. I have met tons of 50-65 yo western Europeans who did not "train" for the Camino, but who had no problem with the 30-35 km days because they started out at a much higher level of fitness.

This is so true Laurie, perhpas why we seem to read more concerns from North Americans on the Forum worrying about fitness level. I also think that the North American "fitness culture" (must go to the gym and train) vs the European "it's just a balanced life" (why go to the gym) has created this idea is North Americans' minds that one must train for what must be an extraordinary physical accomplishment that is the Camino.

So much so that I have been asking a 69 year old relative to come walk with me. He is super thin, goes to the gym daily, runs his 5km without effort, and has done so all this life. But he is convinced the Camino would be too much for him. Nonsense.

But lets also keep in mind that distance covered is also a factor of length of stride. I move my short little legs as fast as all others en route -trust me, I regularly check as they pass by me - and to keep up, making up for their long legs, I would have to look like a hamster in its wheel!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría
The only advice I would give you is, take an extra day from St Jean to Roncesvalles if you are not an experienced hiker. I have seen too many people break down in their first week because they tried too much on the first day. I have the experience of my son who was a jogger getting into severe difficulties on his first day although he recovered well by staying an extra day in Pamplona. Another guy I know was a fit young ex soldier who nearly killed himself on the first day and needed rescuing by mountain rescue on the Valcarlos route. Both over extended themselves and suffered for it. Another young Canadian boy although taking two days for the first stage tried to push too fast those first days and eventually had to give up around Estella. So, do it fast if you must but start slowly and make it up in the later stages. My son having corrected his mistakes took the advice of a fellow pilgrim and very experienced walker. Took it easy to start and by the time he got to the latter stages he was able to do 40km a day. Took him 30 days, just 4 more than you are envisaging. Of course, maybe listening to an old guy like me who takes more than 40 days is daft :)

Here's a script I tried out myself;

Started walking in a somewhat irregular fashion through various woodland back home.

Increased length naturally over time.

My physical "sweetspot" emerged after some months. This was the number of km I could cover without any need for a particular rest.

So...on the first camino I found out that a days march very often was two times the distance of my "sweetspot". Sometimes shorter. Sometimes longer. But allways close.

On my second Camino, this christmas, I covered, again, two times the new "sweetspot" from walking back home.

I guess, going on a camino, the kilometers from home, will allways help. One way or the other.

Go for it!

If I was you I would start in Pamplona or even Logrono. That would give you enough time to walk to Santiago without having to worry about having to hit a certain number of km every day. The itinerary you described strikes me as extremely optimistic for a person who isn't used to hiking. Extremely optimistic! Also. ignore the advice about taking the bus to skip sections. You want to "walk the Camino", not bus it. Besides, you'll lose all your friends. More than likely your friends will be the best thing about your Camino.

Anabel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great advice contained here from so many different but equally relevant points of view. This is why this forum is so valuable!
My two cents - on the CF last year from Sep to Nov (I am a 20-25 km a day comfortable 65 yo walker who usually carries a full pack and takes 35-37 days without stopping).
We heard of a man who "flew" along averaging 40-50 Kms a day....he arrived at SDC complaining that he had made few friends along the route as no one walked his pace!
He then flew back to SJPDP and walked it again at 20+km p day and got the Camino family experience!
Buen Camino

I did it in 26 days in 2014. I flew----all by myself. Never had one glass of La Rioja Vino Tinto the entire Camino. Never knew about Queso de cabra... Never knew much about a Camino family or what that would mean to me once I was completed...Never knew what it was like to stop short and watch the Pilgrims filter by while I sat with a drink at a Cafe along the Camino.
The only good thing? I had to come back and do it slower with my wife and what a joy that was!!!! Now I'm on my 4th Camino Frances. The first one didn't count...........

Why do so many people walk the Camino without training??? I feel like it's me that's missing something! I can't believe how many people I encountered that had every type of malady and who also had undertaken this challenge with little or no preparation. Most were not enjoying themselves and many ended their Camino early. And begging apologies of those who I will undoubtedly offend, the percentage of folks who were completely unprepared and under 40 was VASTLY higher than those doing the same who were over 50. Come on, fellow pilgrims, this isn't rocket science. You're going to walk 15-30km per day for five weeks with only a few rest days. Understanding the reality of this is hardly deep enough to be considered "wisdom"!

Why do so many people walk the Camino without training???
...the percentage of folks who were completely unprepared and under 40 was VASTLY higher than those doing the same who were over 50.
!
Because it's not necessary? Because you "train" while walking on the Camino? Because noone is forcing anyone to walk long distances on the Camino and one can take their time according to how they are feeling and doing?

Heck, I'm mid-forties, overweight, have walked five (six?) 3 week long Camino stints, including on the Norte amd Primitivo.

Walk at your own pace, and visit your podiatrist before leaving home. Simple.

My son and I walked the camino in 25 (maybe 24 1/2 - it becomes less important ) days - we had 25 days - generally people thought we couldnt do it hehe- it was pretty much 20 miles every day - a couple of days a little less and some days because of alburguos more - our main problem was the heat - we walked in 2015 june/July and it was exceptionaly hot and didn't cool down till 21.00 plus hours . even though we started mega early we ended up walking in serious heat - our plan had been - get up early - walk 6 hours - have lunch and a siesta or go swimming and tag a couple more hours in at the end of the day but that didn't work , as it never cooled down and we did want a bed :)- so we walked earlier and took less breaks and persevered. We loved it ! However, we had no room for sickness or rest days and it worked for us but i just want to say - go in with eyes wide open - so to speak - go for it but don't beat yourself up if something comes up - like the need for rest or wanting to linger somewhere or ... - and you either bus it or stop sooner ; arriving was not as important as I thought it would be - it was being on the way that did it - spending the time with my 16 year old son, meeting lots of people, life being so basic, walking, embracing God, thinking of change, more walking :) - I had thought arriving would be the most amazing thing but starting turned out to be the best thing ever - I hope this makes sense :)
Buen Camino x

Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría

Dear future Pigrim,

While I completed my pilgrimage in 31 days at age 57, I did meet a pilgrim, age 50, who completed his journey in 26 days. He did say he paid for it at the end in that he was completely spent and came down with a serious cold and was out of commission for 4 days. You would most definitely need to start your day by 5:30am at the latest to get all the kil and nutrition for the day. Buen camino. A. Martinez

€46,-
You would most definitely need to start your day by 5:30am

I never did ... :rolleyes:

There are two different speeds to consider -- km/hour and km/day ; if the first is "low" then you shouldn't aim to make the second one high (which is where 5:30 comes in).

A fast hiker will walk a kilometer in 10 minutes (which typically translates as 5 km/hour, including rests) times 6-8 hours and more ; not including breaks of all sorts -- every day. This does not require starting your hike before dawn ; it does require health and stamina.

Trying to do the same thing at say 4 km/hour would turn your daily routine into a 8-10 hour chore, not including breaks, whereas on a longer day like that, a fast hiker will be covering 50 to 60 kilometers or more.

Trying to hike the Camino fast generally requires both fast hiking pace and good stamina -- though yes, very good stamina with a slower pace can also do the trick.

6 hours at 4 km/hour (or similar combinations) for about 25 km/day is what the more reasonable people typically aim for and achieve, and it's what provides the "normal" Camino experience ; which takes about 4 weeks (nearly everyone speeds up at some point). It doesn't require starting before dawn either.

---

As for starting a Camino without training, that's OK provided you don't set yourself any unreasonable time limits and provided you don't try and do this without the rest days & slow days you'll need, as will your blisters. If done sensibly, the first half of your Camino will be good training for the second half, and when you reach Compostela, you will have become a trained hiker.

Last edited:
I am inclined to say learn to accomplish your goals without deadlines. I know that in this society we are driven by deliverables and deadlines. The camino is a place to put these things behind. Racing the camino, even if the race is against yourself, will not allow you to not experience the camino.

I am inclined to say learn to accomplish your goals without deadlines. I know that in this society we are driven by deliverables and deadlines. The camino is a place to put these things behind. Racing the camino, even if the race is against yourself, will not allow you to not experience the camino.
I think that every single post in this thread, whether made by someone who walks 15 km a day or 35, is in complete agreement with the observation that the Camino is not a race.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that every single post in this thread, whether made by someone who walks 15 km a day or 35, is in complete agreement with the observation that the Camino is not a race.
Funny, I just notice a Forum member lists his caminos with distance, number of days, and average daily distance in his signature. o_O

I' m one of those members......and rest assured..... "a race" has never been in my mind when walking...not for one single moment of my precense on a pilgremage.....but stating what is feasible in the nature of a camino, is on my mind. In the respect of participating and contributing to a great forum such as this one.

We all stand tall in the meeting of this extrordinary tradition of pilgremage I guess .

I don't like to spend half a day inside an albergue either, if I can help it. That doesn't mean that I want to walk until 5:00 pm.
I liked getting to the albergue around 2:00, then shower, wash clothes, maybe have a little rest. By then it's close to 4:00. Plenty of time to explore the town or village I'm in, meet up with other pilgrims, hang out in the plaza, etc.

I understand it.

My first and principal motto is walking to Santiago. I really love walking so I try to make it from 7:00 to 17:00 or 18:00 or even later if the next albergue is farther. That allows me to meet people and have some conversations around a table but that's not why I walk the Way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You should consider the fact that you'll be walking with a lot of other people, some of whom you'll get close to and want to stay with (probably!) :) Doing the whole CF in 26 days will mean walking further and faster than most people.

And no rest days! Yikes. I walked with a guy who finished in 27 days, but he was very fit starting out and still came out of it with some bad knee trouble (I forced him to stop for one day in Burgos, that's all he'd accept!)

Greetings.

As it turned out, I walked the Camino in exactly 26 days, ending last Sept 7. I had not planned to do so. In fact, some of my goals were to slow down, enjoy people, enjoy the time in Spain, take time to meditate, etc. I did some research and had to hiking plans, one more leisurely and one a bit more aggressive. As it turned out, I fell into my own rhythm. ChloeRose is right in that I didn't really create a "Camino family" and I think I missed something. On the other hand I had really wonderful and deep conversations and connections with many people, even if only for a morning, a dinner or a couple of days. So that is an issue that you will need to think and feel your way through.

Physically, I did not find it hard. I walked a bit longer each day, often until supper time. But, I never felt like I was rushing or hurried. I had no knee or back pain. I did, however, have about a week with pretty nasty blisters. And, that actually surprised me since I am a marathon and ultra runner and put lots of miles on my feel. But, my feet swelled, partially from long days, partially from August heat, and partially from hard surfaces.

And, just for comparison, I turned 64 the day I began and am in pretty good shape and health.

Bottom line, I know that a 26 day Camino is possible and for me was enjoyable. Best wishes with your planning.

And, whatever you plan... stay open and flexible.

Loren

Joan (69) & I (78) did it this year in 46 days, we had the most incredible time and met some wonderful people. We took rest days and still feel as though we did not see everything!

My point is why rush it why not do as our local priest did take several bites at it?

Just our point of view.

Hope you have a great time, what ever you do.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría
Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría

I walked from Toulouse to Santiago, 1240 km in 32,5 days (Toulouse - Jaca - Puente Le Reina, further CF. Woman 42 years old :) So 800 in 26 days is fine...

Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría
Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría

Hi Mariya, I did the CF last year in April for the first time as a relatively unfit 53 year old who had never walked or hiked before, and managed it in 26 days with a rest day.

the key is good boots, lining socks to avoid problems with your feet, 3 or 4 long training walks (20km plus) with your pack on and being prepared to push yourself.

I had intended to take 5 weeks, but after the first couple of days got into a rhythm and comfortably averaged 35 km per day. I even felt fresh enough at the end to do the 3 day circuit to Finisterra and Muxia, so dont be put off by everyone saying you are going too fast, find your own rhythm and you will really enjoy the experience. I met the same 5 or 6 people all through my walk so you wont be the only one covering the miles at this rate.

buen camino,

mark

It took me 48 days at snail's pace but my niece (in her twenties) did it a few months ago in 30 days and most days she was done walking by or before 1:00 pm. She loved starting early in the mornings and walking through sunrise. She said she sometimes found the afternoons a bit long and would happily have kept walking but she stopped early so that she could keep pace with her "camino family". She looks back on her fears about that first 27 km day over the Pyrenees with a laugh saying that now its just another day's walk. So I'd agree with those who say 26 days is do-able.

€46,-
Dear All,

The stages are:
3. Larrasoaña to Uterga
7. Navarrete to Azofra
11. Burgos to Hontanas
12. Hontanas to Frómista

21.Trabadelo to Fonfría
It can be done if you are pushing for time. Some pilgrims walk 30 to 45 km a day and some are short stages only. I found that the first stage was the hardest and the longest. Camino pilgrim is not a race, give yourself plenty of rest and enjoy the nature and company of other pilgrims. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back