• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino CF in Late March 2018 (live info)

mai

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona-S 4/18
SJPP-S-F/M 4/19
SJPP-S 4/23,24
I started on 3/27 from Pamplona - 3/28 Puente la Reina - 3/29 Estella. Would like share some info so far.

Weather: for the past 3 days, cloudy sometime, sunny most of time, very pleasant and comfortable. Around morning 7C-18C mid day.
**Light rain now 8:50 am Estella.

Accom: many people stay at muncipal alb, me too. Cheap and convenient facilities mostly. You may see the same people from the start everyday. They provide free bed sheet.
Today 3/29, I like to spend 1 extra day at Estella, a nice town I did not have time to see yesterday.
After staying at municipal alb for 3 nights, today I like to stay at a smaller alb or hostel for a different feel.

Safety conern: many people leave alb about 7:00-8:00 am. If you leave between this time frame, a lot of people will be round you on the way. Even not, I think it is safe for alone pilgrim.

Buen Camino
(many people just say hola for short)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you, @mai. I leave in two weeks and that's just the kind information I've been looking for. Have you run into much mud? Your on-the-ground weather report sounds much better than the forecasts I read here. Keep us posted.

Enjoy Estella and Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I started on 3/27 from Pamplona - 3/28 Puente la Reina - 3/29 Estella. Would like share some info so far.

Weather: for the past 3 days, cloudy sometime, sunny most of time, very pleasant and comfortable. Around morning 7C-18C mid day.

Accom: many people stay at muncipal alb, me too. Cheap and convenient facilities mostly. You may see the same people from the start everyday. They provide free bed sheet.
Today 3/29, I like to spend 1 extra day at Estella, a nice town I did not have time to see yesterday.
After staying at municipal alb for 3 nights, today I like to stay at a smaller alb or hostel for a different feel.

Safety conern: many people leave alb about 7:00-8:00 am. If you leave between this time frame, a lot of people will be round you on the way. Even not, I think it is safe for alone pilgrim.

Buen Camino
Good to hear about the weather. I begin at SJPP Sunday, 8 April.

Thank you, @mai. I leave in two weeks and that's just the kind information I've been looking for. Have you run into much mud? Your on-the-ground weather report sounds much better than the forecasts I read here. Keep us posted.

Enjoy Estella and Buen Camino.
Last two days have been VERY muddy. Staying in Zubin tonight and just finished scraping mud off and washing pants. Quite a bit of rain today.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the update, @John Simpson. I'm back and forth on my footwear. My rain gear is all sorted out, though. Even 2 weeks out it sounds like "hope for sun, but prepare for mud and rain."

Thanks for the update, @John Simpson. I'm back and forth on my footwear. My rain gear is all sorted out, though. Even 2 weeks out it sounds like "hope for sun, but prepare for mud and rain."
Thanks John. Bala you sound so organised. How does one prepare for mud? I am hoping to get rain gear in Pamplona if my jacket is not sufficient.@Maiz
Buen Camino

Oh, I wish I was organized, @Maiz . I feel so unprepared. But for mud, the weather hasn't given me any options. It's done nothing but rain (except when it's been snowing) for three weeks where I live, so my hiking trails have been mud, mud, and more mud (when they aren't riverlettes). I've been alternating between my boots and my trail runners, to see if I can getaway with the trail runners. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be boots. I can't imagine doing some of these walks in anything less substantial.

My rain jacket and pants are Gortex and have kept me dry through downpours. They are the only non-negotiable givens in my pack. Everything else has been discarded, added back in, discarded again, reconsidered, back on the list, returned, maybe I should take it after all, no really don't need it.... ad infinitum. So maybe I sound like I know what I'm doing. But the fact is, I don't have a clue.:D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bala: FYI I have walked from SJPP to Pamplona starting on Saturday March 24 and was very happy in my trail runners. However, they are a waterproof version of the Altra Lone Peak. It rained all but the first day, not in downpours, but fairly steady light rain. My feet stayed dry in merino socks and those shoes. I think that they would have been completely sodden if I had worn the non waterproof version. There was LOTS of mud everywhere. I did wear lightweight low gaiters, and had to step more carefully than those who just clomped any old way through the mud. I wore the same model shoes on the Norte last year, a bit later in the season. I never found my feet got overly warm. Good luck.

Buen Camino
Thanks for the information, I will be in Estella on the 19th and will be headed west from there. It's good to know the current situation.

Hi, happy to see you like my live info.
To answer some questions as follows:

Only encountered very light rain at the start fm pamplona then no rain on the way, never used backpack cover. Very limited small mud spots from pamplona to Estella.

3/29 morning very light rain, but clear after 10am, sunny afterwards, very very nice weather.

3/29 stayed at San Miguel alb, smaller than the municipal alb. Enjoy staying here, very nice, feel at home, good pilgrimage feel. Enjoyed the dinner the host prepared for us.
Will post photos later.

For alone pilgrim, I am alone n not sure at the start. Found other alone one at same situation to walk for first 2 days, after getting experience, we walk our own way n appreciate each other's accompany.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I meet a friend at this forum at San Miguel alb. She helps me to communicate in Spanish with the host.
What a nice encounter!

Thanks for the information, I will be in Estella on the 19th and will be headed west from there. It's good to know the current situation.
Agree Mvanert. Thanks Ivar. This forum has been invaluable in many ways and appreciate the conversation in this thread as I start from Pamplona on 5 April.
Buen Camino

Just over a week to go, start from St Jean Monday 9April. The weather info is great, with luck will be able to access the Napoleon route, fingers crossed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, I wish I was organized, @Maiz . I feel so unprepared. But for mud, the weather hasn't given me any options. It's done nothing but rain (except when it's been snowing) for three weeks where I live, so my hiking trails have been mud, mud, and more mud (when they aren't riverlettes). I've been alternating between my boots and my trail runners, to see if I can getaway with the trail runners. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be boots. I can't imagine doing some of these walks in anything less substantial.

My rain jacket and pants are Gortex and have kept me dry through downpours. They are the only non-negotiable givens in my pack. Everything else has been discarded, added back in, discarded again, reconsidered, back on the list, returned, maybe I should take it after all, no really don't need it.... ad infinitum. So maybe I sound like I know what I'm doing. But the fact is, I don't have a clue.:D
I am so glad to read your dilemma. I am going through same as I leave for Barcelona tomorrow. On to Pamplona to start on 5 April. I have mid boots with low gaiters as I found pebbles were going into my boots in the training walks. Would have loved to start from SJPdP but need to be sensible at my age, first time and being solo! Another time perhaps. Buen Camino

3/30/2018 estella - los arcos
Sunny n light cloudy, very nice but windy.
Enjoy the view along the way.

Los arcos is a quiet small town. The only market shop is closed today. Isaac Santiago alb is clean n bright, has a good kitchen with complete facilities.

To reduce my backpack weight, I didn't bring an umbrella. A water proof jacket is enough so far.

Last edited:
3/30/2018 estella - los arcos
Sunny n light cloudy, very nice but windy.
Enjoy the view along the way.

Los arcos is a quiet small town. The only market shop is closed today. Isaac Santiago alb is clean n bright, has a good kitchen with complete facilities.

To reduce my backpack weight, I didn't bring an umbrella. A water proof jacket is enough so far.
Thanks Mai. Something else to consider - umbrella!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bala: FYI I have walked from SJPP to Pamplona starting on Saturday March 24 and was very happy in my trail runners. However, they are a waterproof version of the Altra Lone Peak. It rained all but the first day, not in downpours, but fairly steady light rain. My feet stayed dry in merino socks and those shoes. I think that they would have been completely sodden if I had worn the non waterproof version. There was LOTS of mud everywhere. I did wear lightweight low gaiters, and had to step more carefully than those who just clomped any old way through the mud. I wore the same model shoes on the Norte last year, a bit later in the season. I never found my feet got overly warm. Good luck.

Thanks for this first-hand report, @Pong, just the kind of information I've been looking for.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3/31 los arcos - viana 18km very windy some very light shower only 5 minutes
(fm los arcos - logrono 28km I couldn't make it in 1day, so stop at viana.)

Viana is an old town n I stay at municipal alb besides the church ruins. Overall it is nice n get a special atmosphere. On Saturdays, supermarkets are closed at 14:00 n Sundays closed all day. Only mini candy shops with some bread are open. If you want to cook, be aware of the time. You still can have food at bar (cheaper) n restaurants.

4/1 viana - logrono 10km very nice sunny walk, almost alone on the way n feel safe n peaceful!
When walked on Logrono bridge, a local man approached me, said Buen Camino to me twice n shaked hand with me. Felt blessed!

Logrono is a great town with a gorgeous church n famous tapas street. I arrived here abt 11:00, have a good rest n enjoyed visiting the town n the Sunday flea market.

I stayed at private alb logrono at the town center n near the tapas street. It is a hotel with modern good facilities for pilgrim 10E a bed. Highly recommend.

Today I take a bus to Santo Domingo directly for further rest for my legs, so I could walk further. After all, it is my camino, not competition.

After 1 week experience on camino, I know how to budget, will talk about it later.

Now have to catch 11:00 bus.

Last edited:
CF budgeting:

Municipal alb: 5-8e
Private alb: 10e
Daily meals: 6e (supermarket)
15e (bar, restaurant)

Average daily budget: 15e (+/- 20%)

* no need to bring your own knife, fork, spoon, etc. Alb have more than what you want.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just sent you a message, @Maiz . Look for a notice in the liitle envelope by your name.

But for the record, to start a private conversation, just tap a member's name and their profile will come up. There will be a box "start a conversation". Tap that and start writing. From there It's pretty much like texting or email.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked yesterday Carrión to Calzadilla. Weather cold, rain, roaring wind. Started Gregy and cold. Had to stop and put my rain gear on. Albergue here clean and warm. I am awake at 2:00 am for reasons known only to gut and brain. It appears there is rain on the window so will put rain gear on at start today. Stopping in Sahagún. Looks like T range between 4 C and 11 C. It was bloody hard trudging against the wind. I am pushing 60 years old and can do up to 22-24 km with 8 kg pack.

I like to experience the lonely Meseta under sun according to Brierley guidebook p.140. But what I got was like Christmas time (Hornillos -Castrojeriz) on April 9, 2018.

A pilgrim told me on the way that last year it was 20°c, this year it was 2°c.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh my goodness, @mai! Christmas card is right! It looks beautiful. But not if you were planning on warm, sunny, spring weather.:eek:

@Bala, yes, thank the pilgrim in RED rain coat. The views in snow are beautiful, but difficult to walk. There were many muddy spots on the grass route after Hontanas (Brierley guidebook p.141), had better take the main road. Just FYI if you walk in rainy day.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As one pilgrim said that don't believe what weather forecasts say. It is true, most of the time weather is better than what the weather forecast said. @Bala, best wishes for your upcoming camino.

I have finished my CF from Pamplona to Santiago between 3/26-4/26/2018.

As I started this thread, would like to share overall experiences frequently asked questions after the camino.

Equipment:
35l backpack: right size for me
sleeping bag: a must for the time
bed sheet: 20% (70% muni alb provide bed, all 10E private alb have bed sheet)
bed bugs: no for me, but saw a pilgrim got bites at Tricastela (we stayed the same rooms at Tricastela Sarria n he showed me his problem)
bottles: 500ml x 2, some time fill less water to reduce weight, n have drinks at bars on the way.
washing clothes: hand washing clothes at priv. alb more convenient no need to bring your cord n pins.
rain proof gear: poncho is a must, umbrella unnecessary when on camino.
weather: only encountered 1 whole raining at Burgos on 4/7 n 1 snow day at Meseda on 4/9. Overall weather was good.
whistle: unnecessary totally.

Budget:
alb: 8.6E/day (muni alb 5-8E/priv 10E)
food/misc: 9.1E/day
overall: 17.7E/day

I enjoy the camino culture very much n appreciate the kindness from the people along the camino.

The words I like the most:
"Touists make demands.
Pilgrims are grateful."

I still keep the pilgrim spirit of a grateful heart, even after the camino.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back