• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF in March

RogerUSA

Time of past OR future Camino
Good afternoon everyone!
I am starting my second camino next Wednesday, March 4th. I know it's winter and kind of rainy season, but will I have any issued finding albergues????

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am in Valcarce near Galicia now, lots of bars and accommodation closed. Use the search function on the forum to find the list/website of winter open albergues and plan accordingly, even if you have to make a short day, or take a taxi to an open place and carry on from there or taxi back the next day if you want to walk every step. Prepare to carry more water and food and ask hospitaleros and locals every day rather than trust guidebooks. Buen camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wow... and THANK YOU! I guess I will have to buy internet to walk this time.... no good to get stuck somewhere cold..
truly appreciated...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Easter comes early this year, after April 12, most or all of the albergues will then be open.

Hey Roger, I have recently returned from our family Camino (Dec/Jan) where most bars/acom etc is at its minimal and we were fine, some days we went without coffee, on the quieter days we would carry some bread fruit and chocolate. But you know the Camino provides and we usually found something open. As Nidarosa said, ask the Hospitaleros for recommendations - they were an invaluable source for us - by recommending where to stay/avoid and also for making bookings for us. Believe it or not, some places do get packed as there is so little choice

We also walked in March 2018 - I was going to start earlier March but worked out that most places were starting to 'come alive' from about mid March so started on the 13th. In short, you will be fine to start off with and as you move across the CF you will find more and more places opening up for the season.

Pagina nueva 1 - not exclusive but a really great resource to have.

Have a wonderful trip. Make sure you have something to keep your ears warm ;) you wont struggle to find accommodation but may have to walk 20+km per stage earlier on.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Good afternoon everyone!
I am starting my second camino next Wednesday, March 4th. I know it's winter and kind of rainy season, but will I have any issued finding albergues????

My friend and I start walking on the 19th March and apart from Roncevalles we haven't booked at any other albergues. We have reserved one in Zubiri that needs confirmation the day before but that's it. We are just going to see what happens and follow our noses. We are not in the least worried about, although we will keep in mind the easter weekend and dodge the busiest places.
Like you it's our 2nd (full) camino and we know it will all work out. If we can't find a bed, so be it we'll have a night under the stars and keep walking. It's all part of the fun.
Have a great time and buen camino.

Good afternoon everyone!
Hi Roger,
Go to this link every day you can see here hostel open

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I walked the list from Aprinca was excellent but not complete at all. There were other albergues that were open that were not on their list. Conversely I would say between the Buen Camino app that I used and Gronze.com they were only accurate about 60-65% of the time regarding if albergues were open or closed. I walked in November and December 2019. I always found somewhere to sleep without a problem. A very few times I wanted to stop in a town and the albergues were closed and I had to go on but it wasn't very far at all.

To all: Today is my BIG DAY! Leaving the US and heading to MAD. Taking a train to Pamplona and then will ask at the Cathedral or anyone around if SJPP way is open.
The Napoleon route is definitely closed until at April 1st at the earliest.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, the Napolean Route will by e closed but you can go via Valcarlos. Monash posted up thread. She is the manager of the sjpdp office and can give you a lot of on the spot info.

Have a wonderful trip

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.