• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF in september: bring rain trousers or no?

Karienepientje

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 09-01
Even though there are ample 'which clothing to bring'-threads, I haven't been able to find a good answer yet for the following.
I'm walking the CF from Sept 1 to +- Oct 5th.
I'm planning to bring a rain jacket but no rain trousers: I think quick-drying leggings will work better and it'll save some space in my backpack. I'm wondering however if I'm underestimating how cold and wet it can be in the north of Spain at the end of September? I'm reading different things, which is of course to be expected as everyone's experience on the Camino is different.
Your €0.02 will be appreciated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Having lived at the same latitude for years in Biarritz, I don't remember September being much different from August. Of course there is rain now and then but the serious weather change doesn't begin until later in October.

On my first Camino, I brought the full rain kit: jacket, pants, poncho, and gaiters. I was prepared. Each subsequent camino, my rain gear list has changed. Whether I walk in the spring or the fall, as I prefer to walk in shorts, I now leave the rain pants at home. I now also have left behind carrying a poncho and my gaiters. A good quality rain jacket and a waterproof cover for the pack has been more than sufficient (plus a hat or two). Have I gotten wet? Absolutely! There have been days in Galicia where the driving wind and rain soaked me to the bone even wearing a poncho and rain pants. But, as you said, leggings dry out quickly and so do shorts. It’s all part of the Camino experience. For warmth, I have found that a good quality under-layer up top will be more than sufficient. My legs don’t get particularly cold, even in shorts, particularly at the time of year that you’re walking. My wife walks almost exclusively in leggings. Comfortable and warm and they dry quickly if we get caught in the rain. It seems like you’re on the right track choosing your Camino gear.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This summer I did not bring rain pants. Last fall in Sept and October my husband did bring rain pants, but did not use them. In November he used them walking all day in the rain. Only his pants were dry that day. His rain coat and pack were soaked through and it was cold.

Having lived at the same latitude for years in Biarritz, I don't remember September being much different from August. Of course there is rain now and then but the serious weather change doesn't begin until later in October.
Hmmm...perhaps not in Galicia? Equinoctial gales etc. I have rarely been colder or wetter than on the Primitivo in September, but then wheresoever I go, there is rain. That said, personally, I never bring rain trousers.

Even though there are ample 'which clothing to bring'-threads, I haven't been able to find a good answer yet for the following.
I'm planning to bring a rain jacket but no rain trousers: I think quick-drying leggings will work better and it'll save some space in my backpack. I'm wondering however if I'm underestimating how cold and wet it can be in the north of Spain at the end of September? I'm reading different things, which is of course to be expected as everyone's experience on the Camino is different.
Would NOT walk without rain pants! Had cold rain in September on the Norte and was very glad to have pants. I do carry several ponchos however, but those are to sleep on if I can't get a bed somewhere.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I always walk in September and have never ever needed to use them. Having said that I still bring them with me just in case.

Hmmm...perhaps not in Galicia? Equinoctial gales etc. I have rarely been colder or wetter than on the Primitivo in September, but then wheresoever I go, there is rain. That said, personally, I never bring rain trousers.
Reminds me of the Lil' Abner character - Joe Btfsplk.

I walked late Sept to November. Only 3 days of light drizzle rain. I used my rain pants 2 of those days only. Third day I just let my hiking pants gets wet. They dried in a very short time while walking. I would not take rain pants for that timeframe.
Note:. I asked this same forum the very question you have asked. The results were exactly 50% yes and 50% no. I went with the "yes". Next time I'll go with the "no"! 😁

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wouldn't. I only really use rain pants in the middle of winter on long hikes and even then only if the weather is very wet and very windy. I hate wearing them, lightweight walking trousers dry really quick with just body heat as soon as you are out of the rain so it's just a matter of how cold you will get. In September? Probably not that much but everyone feels the cold different. And unless you spend a lot of money on rain pants then you eventually end up with wet legs anyway from either sweat or them eventually giving up.

The one advantage is that they shed water away from your boots but you can get that with gaiters and you don't even have to spend a lot on a good pair. Cheap gaiters do the job.

As someone who has never worn leggings... if it's raining won't they just direct water down into your boots like what happens if you're wearing shorts in the rain?

I usually walk in April or September and never bring rain trousers. I walk in Brasher or Rohan shorts most of the time and find that they and my legs dry quickly. Waterproof trousers don't usually breathe very well, so when you're expending effort, your own perspiration is trapped inside.
I bring comfortable lightweight hiking trousers to wear in the evening.

When we walked the CF in 2017 we only pulled out the rain gear once, as we entered Sarria. The rain lasted 10 minutes, hardly worth pulling it out. Lots of morning fog. Generally warm weather and mostly sunny.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked the CF (and then on to Finisterre) mid-September through end of October last year. Like you, one of our last decisions was whether to bring rain paints. We opted to omit them and never regretted the decision. When walking your legs are generating a fair amount of heat, and with a decent rain jacket keeping our torsos warm and dry, we never felt that chilled. And light-weight shorts or pants dry quickly. But we also didn't get soaked very often - we may have been a bit lucky with the weather.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did the Frances Sep1 - Oct1, 2021, and I started with rain pants, but I dumped them after about a week. I was warm-enough for shorts, and although there was more rainy days than I expected, just a poncho was fine. It isn't like some hiking (e.g., on or around the Appalachian trail in early spring or late fall) where you're slogging through brush in a cold rain. I agree with the "no" answers.

I just take a poncho. It will keep you dry from the knees up and will keep your backpack dry too. I have never used a backpack cover and I am sure if they are properly attached work very well. But I have seen pilgrims who didn't put them on properly have their packs soaking wet. I also like a poncho because I keep it in my side pocket in my pack on days that forecast rain. If it starts to rain I pull it out, face the wind, poncho flies like a flag and put my hands n the sleeves and zip it up and I am off. No stopping to take off pack to put on rain coat and cover for backpack.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just take a poncho. It will keep you dry from the knees up and will keep your backpack dry too. I have never used a backpack cover and I am sure if they are properly attached work very well. But I have seen pilgrims who didn't put them on properly have their packs soaking wet. I also like a poncho because I keep it in my side pocket in my pack on days that forecast rain. If it starts to rain I pull it out, face the wind, poncho flies like a flag and put my hands n the sleeves and zip it up and I am off. No stopping to take off pack to put on rain coat and cover for backpack.
Agreed!!

We walked mid September - mid October in 2019. I carried a long rain poncho that covered my back pack and I had rain pants. The rain didnt start until mid October and then it rained almost every day once we left Las Herrerias.. I might have worn my rain pants one day. I did use my Poncho almost every day The morning temperatures did get cooler in October. I purchased an extra layer, light weight gloves and a 2nd Buff. One to keep my ears warm and another for my neck. Enjoy!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My 10 year experience has led me to take an holistic approach to cladding. And this is the layers approach for heat, cold, wind and rain.. From the ground up:

footwear: walking/running shoes with open weave uppers
Hose/socks: travel/pressure hose to the knees with corresponding outer hose. These are polyester and not thick, so good drying properties.

Kilt: lightweight with pressure closures and pockets - no metal:
Underpants: merino wool

That is invariable for each day.

For the torso, layers

Start with short sleeve merino top or long sleeve if closer to 0 degrees Celsius (or maybe both of those if brisk wind)

Strong wind / Rain: add lightweight rain jacket (parka)

Persistent rain: Altus rain coat with hood and pack cover. This also covers the kilt and directs some of the rain away from the lower legs.

Head:floppy cotton hat [helps keep shape for parka/Altus hoods.

Method :

All my clothes not being worn are in an outer pocket of the pack. This gives ready access without having to open the body of the pack.

To make it easier to see what's what I use the so called Ranger Roll for the torso layers.

Last, and by no means least, hands.
My fingers are thin and get dreadfully cold most mornings. And in almost all rrains. I think I now have this issue sussed.

Take a rain kilt like Zpacks noted in this post or cheap $12 sil-nylon rain skirt. Weighs 2oz and rolls up to size of fist. No need to remove boots or pack to put it on and off.

No need for rain pants at that time of year. I walked September 19 to the end of October last year and had only one day of rain. I was in shorts the whole time

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have never used rain pants on any of my 20 caminos. I just wear shorts and a rain cape, Sea to Summit for summer rain, Altus light for spring or early autumn. A light down jacket and that's it. No gortex jacket etc. No pack cover needed. I put the poncho into the base pack pocket, that normally holds the pack cover and when the drops begin to fall, I can pull it out while walking and 30 seconds later, I am covered with my cape.
I find rain pants cumbersome and heavy.
Nothing wrong with a bit of wet skin.

Last edited:
I‘m walking the Camino Frances from 21 September until who knows when. I’m not taking rainpants (water resistant trousers, though how long will be the resistance), but taking a poncho. I hope not to use the poncho.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks all for your replies until now! Whereas DyanTX said the answers to his same question were 50/50, I think this thread is definitely leaning more towards no: don't bring rain pants.

I think I'll go with my good quality rain jacket and my hopefully waterproof (it was cheap from Decathlon, I guess we'll have to see how that works out) rain cover. Might update my experience here for future reference :)

Average September - bring shorts. You’ll get wet but not cold and skin dries faster than cloth.

Mid October through to end of March (when I walk) bring waterproof trousers; unless you’re opposed to them for some reason.

There have been some rainy Septembers, really no way to know for sure. I don’t wear or recommend rain pants for that time of year,or even for the CF all year long because of temperatures. You are likely to sweat in them in September or October.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks all for your replies until now! Whereas DyanTX said the answers to his same question were 50/50, I think this thread is definitely leaning more towards no: don't bring rain pants.

I think I'll go with my good quality rain jacket and my hopefully waterproof (it was cheap from Decathlon, I guess we'll have to see how that works out) rain cover. Might update my experience here for future reference :)
I can't stand rain jackets. You sweat like crazy in those warmer months. And pack covers never really work... A poncho is liberating.

I walked Sept/ Oct. Had one day of heavy rain in Galicia. Wore a poncho which made me perspire so much I was as wet without it. Ending up walking without it. Clothes dry,! So did I. Leave them behind. Have a cover for your backup though.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In cold weather I wear an Altus with my skirt hitched up so that it stays dry. The Altus is like a poncho combined with a raincoat. It opens down the front for ventilation, and hangs over my pack so I can toss it on and off. It does get sweaty but it is the best rain gear I've found so far. I've tried jackets but they also get sweaty and can't be thrown on and off without stopping and taking off my pack, which is a pain. In hot weather, provided it is not blowing a gale, I use an umbrella.

One hospitalero told me that rain pants were the most frequently left behind item, but I know of some people who swear by them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From my personal experiences there is nothing surer than that it will rain in Galicia.
It rains something like 200 or days per years. So it comes down to personal preferences - cold and wet; cold and dry?
If the rain pants are light-weight and do not take up much space then I would bring them (but then I am now 73 and starting to feel the cold). So with those pearls of wisdom I wish a very Buen Camino.

I‘m walking the Camino Frances from 21 September until who knows when. I’m not taking rainpants (water resistant trousers, though how long will be the resistance), but taking a poncho. I hope not to use the poncho.
I've got a pair of water resistant trousers (Revolution Race). They're great until they're not. Eventually they reach a saturation point where the resistance stops working and then they become horrible. Really cold and really heavy. They're great in snowy conditions or the odd shower but don't stand up to sustained rain of more than an hour. And the crinkling noise as you walk drives me mental, ironic as the product name is Silence.

My 10 year experience has led me to take an holistic approach to cladding. And this is the layers approach for heat, cold, wind and rain.. From the ground up:

footwear: walking/running shoes with open weave uppers
Hose/socks: travel/pressure hose to the knees with corresponding outer hose. These are polyester and not thick, so good drying properties.

Kilt: lightweight with pressure closures and pockets - no metal:
Underpants: merino wool

That is invariable for each day.

For the torso, layers

Start with short sleeve merino top or long sleeve if closer to 0 degrees Celsius (or maybe both of those if brisk wind)

Strong wind / Rain: add lightweight rain jacket (parka)

Persistent rain: Altus rain coat with hood and pack cover. This also covers the kilt and directs some of the rain away from the lower legs.

Head:floppy cotton hat [helps keep shape for parka/Altus hoods.

Method :

All my clothes not being worn are in an outer pocket of the pack. This gives ready access without having to open the body of the pack.

To make it easier to see what's what I use the so called Ranger Roll for the torso layers.

Last, and by no means least, hands.
My fingers are thin and get dreadfully cold most mornings. And in almost all rrains. I think I now have this issue sussed.
Sows the cotton floppy hat get soaked. I want to bring mine, but worried about that. I don’t think I would always be wearing it just inside my hoods.

Sows the cotton floppy hat get soaked. I want to bring mine, but worried about that. I don’t think I would always be wearing it just inside my hoods.

I wear a small rimmed straw hat and put my hood over that. Keeps the wet hood away from my head and out of my eyes. It's perfect.

a light weight rain skirt works well and doubles as s/thing to sit on if you don’t want the stuff in your pants pockets to get wet if you are wearing a rain jacket. i took rain pants in april and used them several times for heavy rain but might go with the skirt next time- less bulk in the pack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m walking the CF in October and was planning to take my tent so I can walk very long days and pitch up in the wilderness some nights rather than spend time looking for an auberge. Does anyone know if the Spanish police might fine me if I get discovered? Some Germans were talking about €400 fines for wild camping in Germany. I was also wondering if there was a danger of wild animals. I do it in the UK all the time and there is no hassle from the authorities or wildlife and normally cover about 40km a day.

I wear Craghoppers KIWI trousers ( good enough for Palin going around the world ) and I also take shorts.

Watch out for the sunburn on the back of your knees !! and it can get chilly into October or early mornings. If you normally wear shorts then you should be ok in them. Each to their own

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m walking the CF in October and was planning to take my tent so I can walk very long days and pitch up in the wilderness some nights rather than spend time looking for an auberge. Does anyone know if the Spanish police might fine me if I get discovered? Some Germans were talking about €400 fines for wild camping in Germany. I was also wondering if there was a danger of wild animals. I do it in the UK all the time and there is no hassle from the authorities or wildlife and normally cover about 40km a day.
A number of people do successfully ‘wild camp’ so long as they are discrete and if you’re doing it in the UK you should be well accustomed to that - although you’re not going to encounter much in the way of wilderness along the way. The wildlife in Spain shouldn’t be a concern.

A number of people do successfully ‘wild camp’ so long as they are discrete and if you’re doing it in the UK you should be well accustomed to that - although you’re not going to encounter much in the way of wilderness along the way. The wildlife in Spain shouldn’t be a concern.
i almost stepped on a huge brown and tan striped snake near trabadelo when going off the path just a few feet to take a break! thus, i'd watch out for snakes!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back