• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF May 2021

mark stevens

Time of past OR future Camino
back on the Frances in May 2022
Couldn't resist and we've scheduled to walk to Frances again in May 2021. Lets hope the world have corrected itself by then. my fingers are crossed double !!

Check out my previous blogs here is you haven't walked the camino and are thinking about it

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Couldn't resist and we've scheduled to walk to Frances again in May 2021. Lets hope the world have corrected itself by then. my fingers are crossed double !!

Check out my previous blogs here is you haven't walked the camino and are thinking about it

Glad to know I'm not alone. Back in May, I booked flights to go and do the last 100km at the end of April, start of May next year. This is the first time I've done anything like this. As I'll be doing it on my own, am a 44 year old, overweight and unfit woman, and we seem to be caught up in the whirlwind that is Covid-19, there is a sense of trepidation brewing. It was a very distinct calling though to walk for my God, so I am still planning to go.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Glad to know I'm not alone. Back in May, I booked flights to go and do the last 100km at the end of April, start of May next year. This is the first time I've done anything like this. As I'll be doing it on my own, am a 44 year old, overweight and unfit woman, and we seem to be caught up in the whirlwind that is Covid-19, there is a sense of trepidation brewing. It was a very distinct calling though to walk for my God, so I am still planning to go.....
Jenny. You’ll be fine. Just train and walk before you go and take your time on the Camino. It isn’t a rush and walking by yourself will be so liberating. Have fun and buen Camino. Mark

I am also planning my second Camino in 2021, CP, starting - if Covid allows - June 2021.

For all of you who plan to start earlier in April or May, especially in Spain, keep in mind, that the spanish government has declared the "State of Alarm" till May 9th, 2021. Check for instance here. As far as I know, this date is still valid.

I am also planning my second Camino in 2021, CP, starting - if Covid allows - June 2021.

For all of you who plan to start earlier in April or May, especially in Spain, keep in mind, that the spanish government has declared the "State of Alarm" till May 9th, 2021. Check for instance here. As far as I know, this date is still valid.
Thanks Sugargypsy, we've planned for last few days of May. here's to hoping things have changed by then. mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

From the linked article:

The purpose of the state of alarm is to enable the regional governments of Spain the legal requirements to impose and enforce nighttime curfews and other restrictions, where required.

Of course, anyone planning a camino at any time in 2021 should keep up-to-date with government advice and restrictions, and be prepared to cancel/postpone if necessary. But I personally don't put too much stock into the May 9th date (as in, the idea that you can't/shouldn't do caminos before that date but you can do them after). As indicated above, the state of alarm just allows for extraordinary measures to be enacted depending on the situation at the time; by itself it doesn't really mean that much. It may happen that Spain recovers well from the second wave and there are no restrictions by March or April, or it may not, and the state of alarm and restrictions might be extended further - which is kind of the point. No one really knows what May will look like now, so the government has taken the necessary step to allow restrictions to be enforced, although they may or may not be required.

From the linked article:

The purpose of the state of alarm is to enable the regional governments of Spain the legal requirements to impose and enforce nighttime curfews and other restrictions, where required.

Of course, anyone planning a camino at any time in 2021 should keep up-to-date with government advice and restrictions, and be prepared to cancel/postpone if necessary. But I personally don't put too much stock into the May 9th date (as in, the idea that you can't/shouldn't do caminos before that date but you can do them after). As indicated above, the state of alarm just allows for extraordinary measures to be enacted depending on the situation at the time; by itself it doesn't really mean that much. It may happen that Spain recovers well from the second wave and there are no restrictions by March or April, or it may not, and the state of alarm and restrictions might be extended further - which is kind of the point. No one really knows what May will look like now, so the government has taken the necessary step to allow restrictions to be enforced, although they may or may not be required.
agreed JungleBoy. I'll have a listen to the Spirit of the Camino too.

We had to postpone our Eastertide last leg of the Frances last year from Sarria. We'd spent the last four years completing sections from SJPP. There is a real hunger to complete our pilgrimage, however, the safety of those who live in the Camino has to be the priority. We rebooked for beginning of April back in July. No rising cases then; no new variants. Now we are on tenterhooks. Think we'll be looking at another postponement to September, but we're hoping and praying. God speed the vaccination programme 🙏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We had to postpone our Eastertide last leg of the Frances last year from Sarria. We'd spent the last four years completing sections from SJPP. There is a real hunger to complete our pilgrimage, however, the safety of those who live in the Camino has to be the priority. We rebooked for beginning of April back in July. No rising cases then; no new variants. Now we are on tenterhooks. Think we'll be looking at another postponement to September, but we're hoping and praying. God speed the vaccination programme 🙏
Phil,

Looks like you just have the Sarria to Santiago section to go. I bet your itching to get it done :) Just wait until you see the cathedral in the distance, amazing.

On the way into Santiago as you come down a small hill into the town there is a bar on your RHS. we had to stop there just to take stock and think of everything we had achieved on that trip of 28 days. still gets my hairs tingling today.

If you can only do small trips you should consider the Camino Ingles (4 days) and then the Camino Finnesterre (3 days). we loved that week on our 2nd camino

enjoy the last stages whenever you get to go back. buen camino

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Stay positive for now, I’m due to start on 15th May it’s still 16 wks away I’m hoping by then restrictions will eased and I should be able to go but if not the I’ll be looking at my plan b in September thankfully because I’m travelling by train I can leave my booking until the last minute but for now fingers crossed peregrinos 🤞

Stay positive for now, I’m due to start on 15th May it’s still 16 wks away I’m hoping by then restrictions will eased and I should be able to go but if not the I’ll be looking at my plan b in September thankfully because I’m travelling by train I can leave my booking until the last minute but for now fingers crossed peregrinos 🤞
Me too Paul. Always go by train via Paris and love that journey. Well be September too. 🤞

I think you need to play it by ear. I've still got to do a complete run through the eastern variant of the Tours route from Châtellerault to Lescar to double check before i loose the guide onto the unsuspecting Pilgrims, by bike but even so it takes a while and I would like to personally visit all the actual refuges that I have listed, even if I don't actually stay at them. Problem is that I have to have a house /dog sitter so I can't just ride out of the door. If anyone wants a short notice holiday in France then could you message me on the forum? Preferably with your own transport but if not then either an international driving licence or be prepared to shop by bike. Date and duration to be mutually agreed once borders open.
I could then get you to your preferred starting point if you want to walk in France or Spain yourself.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I can't do my Norte/Primitivo this year (😢) I'll try for the VdlP between March and May, and return in September for the Norte/Primitivo.

Yes, I am planning mid may if at all possible. The vaccination rates in spain look quite positive. Hopefully the current wave will be finished by then Fingers crossed. Need to start looking at a training schedule. I've never done tha

Yes, I am planning mid may if at all possible. The vaccination rates in spain look quite positive. Hopefully the current wave will be finished by then Fingers crossed. Need to start looking at a training schedule. I've never done tha
More than a week. Please don't burst my hope bubble...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@trecille.... Did it again didn't I that what's happens with vino inspired posts !!!

More than a week. Please don't burst my hope bubble...
Sounds like you've never done more than a week.. Theres loads of training regimes and inspiration on the forum. best training regimen for me is just getting lots of miles in the tank with some hill walking and always with full back pack on. also with more than a weeks walking you'll get fitter and ease into it. enjoy whenever your going. been camino. mark

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After finishing the CF in Oct 2019, I booked the Portuguese Camino for May 2021. Here's hoping we all step off in May (or earlier). Plan B is to reschedule for August.
Hiya, did you do it eventually? Or rescheduled? I am thinking to start end of May just wondering if Albergues are open in Portugal, finding it hard to see any info on that on here or anywhere else on the internet... Thanks x

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back