• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

CF - shoes

Jan_89

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés: July/August 2014

Camino Francés: May/June 2017
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Shoes are such a personal and YMMV purchase. I buy the lightest shoe/boot which fit and that I find comfortable. Several times I've been sucked in by the allure of the new and shiny and regretted it and ended up falling back on my tired and true. Which coincidentally happens to be Lowa.

My search for a trail runner that fits my big wide feet continues . . .

Hi! I am also trying to find the best shoe. I'm a gal with a narrow foot. I do a lot of hiking on the north shore mountains in Vancouver BC Canada. I usually wear a Merril boot but looking for a lighter trail shoe. I've been checking out all the threads. Tons of info. I was wondering if anyone has tried out any of the newest trail shoes and the availability in BC. My daughter and I start the CF May 12 from SJPDP.
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I walked the CF a couple of times wearing Merrell Moabs and they did a pretty good job, but of course I kept wondering if there was something better out there so the last time I walked the CF I decided to do so wearing some New Balance trail runners. Good shoes no doubt, but not for me on a long distance walk, They didn't give me the support and stability the Merrells did and I regretted wearing them and wished I had some Merrells on again. I guess an 800 km walk is no place to experiment and test new shoes.
If the Mammut's worked good for you and you were happy with them, I wouldn't change a thing.
cheers

Today I was in my favourite outdoor shop to talk about shoes for this kind of journey and they recommended me some of them (Keen, La Sportiva, Lowa..), so I need to decide soon! :) Or like Mark wrote, I buy the same ones..

Thanks @Mark Lee , I'll check some Merrell shoes too.

Jan I'll be interested to hear what you decide. Where do you live? Our selection of shoes/ boots has been limited due to Boxing Day sales so I am waiting for new shipments before shopping.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, I walked the CF a couple of times wearing Merrell Moabs and they did a pretty good job, but of course I kept wondering if there was something better out there so the last time I walked the CF I decided to do so wearing some New Balance trail runners. Good shoes no doubt, but not for me on a long distance walk, They didn't give me the support and stability the Merrells did and I regretted wearing them and wished I had some Merrells on again. I guess an 800 km walk is no place to experiment and test new shoes.
If the Mammut's worked good for you and you were happy with them, I wouldn't change a thing.
cheers
I needed to replace my Merrill Moabs last fall and was having a hard time finding them. I was told by the shoe guy at my local REI that they were being discontinued. I'm not sure if he meant discontinued by REI as a seller or discontinued by the manufacturer. They're still listed on the Merrill main site, but at a sizable discount, which usually means they're dumping inventory. Too bad if true; I have both the low top ventilators and the mid-height waterproof versions, and they fit my particular foot much better than most of the more expensive offerings from other manufacturers. I eventually found them online from rei.com, but it took a lot of time as they were obviously pulling them from remaining stock at a store in another city.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I needed to replace my Merrill Moabs last fall and was having a hard time finding them. I was told by the shoe guy at my local REI that they were being discontinued. I'm not sure if he meant discontinued by REI as a seller or discontinued by the manufacturer. They're still listed on the Merrill main site, but at a sizable discount, which usually means they're dumping inventory. Too bad if true; I have both the low top ventilators and the mid-height waterproof versions, and they fit my particular foot much better than most of the more expensive offerings from other manufacturers. I eventually found them online from rei.com, but it took a lot of time as they were obviously pulling them from remaining stock at a store in another city.
Check amazon.com. Merrell sells them directly from there. They have a bunch of them available there.

That's good to know for next time I need to replace them. I've just been spoiled by REI's return/replacement warranty, so I keep going back there for gear.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's good to know for next time I need to replace them. I've just been spoiled by REI's return/replacement warranty, so I keep going back there for gear.
Yeah, I hear ya. That's a good deal. I'm on like my fifth or sixth pair of Merrell Moabs, so I got the size thing down and know exactly what to order.

Do you always go one or two sizes up?
No, I just wear the size I normally do, but I wear very thin, synthetic running socks and a dab of vaseline. It works for me. The only blisters I ever had were on the tips of my little toes and they calloused up, anyway.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, I just wear the size I normally do, but I wear very thin, synthetic running socks and a dab of vaseline. It works for me. The only blisters I ever had were on the tips of my little toes and they calloused up, anyway.
Good to know because I keep trying on larger shoes and the arch support is not in the right spot. LOL! I was beginning to think I would never find the right fit! Thanks for your info.

Good to know because I keep trying on larger shoes and the arch support is not in the right spot. LOL! I was beginning to think I would never find the right fit! Thanks for your info.
Yeah, I tried that as well and it just wasn't working for me either, and I was getting slippage towards the heel. A recipe for blisters. It just didn't make sense for me to then buy thicker socks to make up the difference. I'd always worn thin socks for running and no blisters, and thin socks in the military, and no blisters. So I wore thin socks.
I would say though, that if you change out insoles, go to an aftermarket for more support or cushioning, be aware they can be thicker than the factory ones, so that may effect how the shoes/boots fit and you may have to go a 1/2 size up or something.

Hi! I am also trying to find the best shoe. I'm a gal with a narrow foot. I do a lot of hiking on the north shore mountains in Vancouver BC Canada. I usually wear a Merril boot but looking for a lighter trail shoe. I've been checking out all the threads. Tons of info. I was wondering if anyone has tried out any of the newest trail shoes and the availability in BC. My daughter and I start the CF May 12 from SJPDP.
Buen Camino!
I have narrow feet and wore New Balance Vazee Summits last year. They have a narrow fit, and are very lightweight. I wore them form SJPDP to Finisterre.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good to know because I keep trying on larger shoes and the arch support is not in the right spot. LOL! I was beginning to think I would never find the right fit!
Find the shoe that has the right shape for your foot and fits "perfectly." Then try the next size larger. It will probably feel fine too, so buy it instead.

Back