• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF surprises?

Kbierstube

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 29 (2017)
What, if any, Camino surprises have you experienced that you could have prepared for?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I stopped at a small, trailside bar for yet another cafe con leche and the use of their servicios. As I was preparing to leave the owner rushed out explaining something in Spanish that I didn't quite get. Turns out she wanted us to wait until the fresh, warm, churros were finished cooking so she could give us all some. That was a surprise. ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How challenging (but wonderful) it can be to walk day after day;
How it is very much a meditative practice, what has come from that, and how deep it goes;
How much resonance there is with this particular pilgrimage, and with its history.
And how the 'camino feeling' can pop up from time to time, no matter where I go.

I was only going to walk once.
How quickly that idea fell away once I had walked once.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
After paring life down to the essentials on the Camino, and finding how deeply satisfied I was with so little, I was completely surprised by the gratitude I came home with for the joyous excess of my life. I've floated on that gratitude for 2 years now...reveling in the overwhelming excess of home, co-workers, parishioners, the beauty of where I live...I've really been overwhelmed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There was the MUD on the Portuguese last year ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This was a nasty surprise: getting a bill from the health clincs. I knew hospitalization would cost but I thought walk-in clinics were free. They are not. That isn't the nasty part, the bills were reasonable, but being able to pay them was nasty. Fairly easy to pay if you live in the EU but US banking regulations and bank costs make it difficult and expensive. They don't accept credit cards. To avoid this problem be sure to pay them in cash before leaving the clinic. You probably won't need more than 100 or 150 euros.

Last edited:
This was a nasty surprise: getting a bill from the health clincs. I knew hospitalization would cost but I though walk-in clinics were free. They are not. That isn't the nasty part, the bills were reasonable, but being able to pay them was nasty. Fairly easy to pay if you live in the EU but US banking regulations and bank costs make it difficult and expensive. They don't accept credit cards. To avoid this problem be sure to pay them in cash before leaving the clinic. You probably won't need more than 100 or 150 euros.
Thanks. That's good to know!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There were many nice surprises that don't have to be prepared for. The only unpleasant surprise that I remember was how vastly more difficult walking day after day after day was. It not only took a toll on feet and body, but stamina as well. I had the impression that I could start slow and build up, but I started slow, seemed to tear down for about 10 days and THEN began to build up. That was my experience and it might not happen that way for other people.

I stopped at a small, trailside bar for yet another cafe con leche and the use of their servicios. As I was preparing to leave the owner rushed out explaining something in Spanish that I didn't quite get. Turns out she wanted us to wait until the fresh, warm, churros were finished cooking so she could give us all some. That was a surprise. ;)
Fresh churros!! Where was that? Will have to make sure to stop.

Running out of water a few times on the route from Geneva because where the guide book said there was water there was not, until I finally found out all French cemeteries have a fresh water tap!

Biggest surprise I could not plan for was when I was walking back from Santiago to France last Winter. I was in the middle of nowhere and there was nobody about. Soon a pilgrim came towards me in the distance, plodding on to Santiago. As we were about to pass I was just about to say Buen Camino and stopped dead in my tracks, so did he. It was an old friend I haven't seen in 20 years!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was surprised that my feet swelled and stayed that way.... my tried and tested Boots became tight and uncomfortable after weeks of walking. I now know that I needed boots at least a size bigger if not more. My next walk will involve my 'I'm going for a very long walk' boots rather than the boots I use on weekends. There's at least 1.5 sizes difference.

In the Basque country of Navarra greeting the locals in Spanish didn't get the expected result. I should have learned some phrases in Euskara.

I learned a few greetings and responses in Basque and had many wonderful experiences because of it. I highly recommend learning and using a few common greetings. Absolutely wonderful people.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was always surprised by, and have a new-found respect for, my feet and body, at how one nights' rest is all that's needed to refresh and replenish you enough to keep you going the next day, no matter how weary you were the night before (obviously, injuries excluded!)

Last edited:
Wow! That scenery would surprise me too. Well done.

€149,-
I encourage you not to be anxious about your surprises. They are waiting for you, they will bring tears, smiles, laughing out loud, hugging everyone in arms reach or deciding to walk alone for a day. In my experience each one taught me a life lesson or two including the meaning of love, joy and how many steps I can walk with energy left to enjoy the evening. Each day's surprises gave me something to meditate on the following day. I've been home 4 months and one came to mind just an hour ago while I was in the supermarket.
Of course, that is me. You might have even more enjoyment on your walk down the Way.
Buen Camino!

is it oil seed rape?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One day my fiancé and I actually ran out of money! As ridiculous as that sounds, we thought we could get by until we reached our next village but alas, there was no bank machine there. We had enough for our beds and a meal but that was it! Nothing to buy breakfast the next day. The next morning, luckily, we found out that the other albergue in town took credit cards, so since it was in Galicia and we were going to buy ponchos eventually anyway, we bought them there, along with our breakfast. It's funny, though, how small your world becomes when you are walking. In retrospect, we could have easily taken a 5-10 minute cab ride back to the last ATM but we didn't even think to do that. So....after that, I always had an 'emergency' 100 euros tucked away in my card wallet, so it wouldn't happen again.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Good idea to have emergency funds tucked away.

Whatever your budget and whichever card(s) you carry always have a stash of emergency cash. It need not be much say 4 × 20 and 2 × 5 euro notes. This stash might be very useful when an intense storm knocks all power out and no ATM works or during a long holiday weekend when the machines are 'milked dry'.

As always it helps to be prepared.
Also keep some euro bills in small denominations; breaking a 50 euro bill in a remote village can be impossible! However, gas stations will often make change even if you don't buy gas!

Last edited:
I have rarely used an ATM. Don't they charge you for each withdrawal? Can you just carry a wad of euros for the whole time and use a Visa card when possible?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have rarely used an ATM. Don't they charge you for each withdrawal? Can you just carry a wad of euros for the whole time and use a Visa card when possible?
Sure. Carry a thousand euros with you and use the credit card when you can. Practice at home. Carry a thousand in cash with you for a month and only use an American Express credit card. ;)

Edit: Sorry. Let me be more helpful. The camino runs mostly on cash. Most establishments will not accept credit cards. For more help on ATMs use this link to a search I've done on this forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/search/5884884/?q=ATM&o=date&c[node]=12

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And how the 'camino feeling' can pop up from time to time, no matter where I go.
So true, for me, too, and almost everyone on this forum!

Sure. Carry a thousand euros with you and use the credit card when you can. Practice at home. Carry a thousand in cash with you for a month and only use an American Express credit card. ;)

Edit: Sorry. Let me be more helpful. The camino runs mostly on cash. Most establishments will not accept credit cards. For more help on ATMs use this link to a search I've done on this forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/search/5884884/?q=ATM&o=date&c[node]=12
I couldn't reach this link My bank said its a Ten dollar fee every time I use my card in an ATM. That's kind of expensive. Whenever I travel in Europe I Always carry cash. Maybe I am too trusting.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I couldn't reach this link My bank said its a Ten dollar fee every time I use my card in an ATM. That's kind of expensive. Whenever I travel in Europe I Always carry cash. Maybe I am too trusting.
Sounds like you need a new bank!
I don't know where you live, but I'm in the US and I have an account with Charles Schwab that I use for traveling that refunds me all ATM fees.

Well they've been pretty good to us the last 40 years. We are in a small town in North east Washington. But I will certainly look into another option for the Camino. We do have a Charles Schwab account too. That's a good idea.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
is it oil seed rape?
It is rapeseed and I think it is used for fuel.
I was told it was rapeseed/canola, used for making canola oil. Hmmm.

It is a field of Rapeseed flowers, cultivated for around the last 4,000 years in India, the last 2,000 years in China and Japan and used as fuel in lamps among other things since, in Europe for at least the last 900 years. Widely used as a lubricant in steam engines, the steam age in general and more recently used in the production of Biodiesel.

Canada developed 'Canola' in the 70's as a more edible less bitter tasting version, the use of the name spread and is now the preferred name in the the US/Australia for the oil and the plant/flower, presumably because people were more comfortable with Canola than Rapeseed, which comes from the Latin Rapum meaning 'turnip'.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well they've been pretty good to us the last 40 years. We are in a small town in North east Washington. But I will certainly look into another option for the Camino. We do have a Charles Schwab account too. That's a good idea.

If you have a Schwab account now it is very easy to open a banking as well.
No fees and they refund any fee charged by the dispensing bank.

I have had an account for several years and it is never a concern or problem of any kind.
Carry large sums of cash on the Camino is a very bad idea.

What, if any, Camino surprises have you experienced that you could have prepared for?
I live at approximately the same latitude as Miami, Florida. The Camino is much closer to the latitude of Boston, Massachusetts. (We call places like that "snowdigger country.") We didn't realize that, and in 2014 we were prepared for the kinds of "spring" weather we get in southern Texas. So my takeaway lesson is, be aware of the latitude and the usual seasonality in comparison to where you normally live. (Thank God for Caminoteca in Pamplona, where I got a warm and much loved pink fleece pullover. It was much needed, too.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How challenging (but wonderful) it can be to walk day after day;
How it is very much a meditative practice, what has come from that, and how deep it goes;
How much resonance there is with this particular pilgrimage, and with its history.

Oh, yes.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For me it was running out of cash a couple of times and the next ATM being maybe some 2 stages away. They're not big on credit cards on the way (I actually never used my credit card at all). So I'd say take care to check out on your app or in a guide book where the next ATM is going to be and prepare to always have enough cash on you. Thankfully I made some loyal friends along the way who were better at preparing than I was and bailed me out :D

Last edited:
I don't like to prepare for surprises, because, well, I like being surprised!! :)
I like your attitude. A little serendipity is good for the soul! Here is something I am wondering- with all the recent rain and warm weather, it is hard to imagine the route napoleon not being open on April 6 (my start day). But, this is my first time.... Sooo looking forward to my journey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is rapeseed and I think it is used for fuel.

Just an added note, in these politically correct times (at least in Canada) the term "rapeseed" seems to have fallen out of fashion in favour of the term "canola". It is an oil seed with both culinary and industrial uses.

Egad, are those standard banking fees where you live? If not, I'd be looking for a better deal.

I caught a cold in Roncesvalles, 2001. It was August and my first camino. I'd read about the heat and heat and dressed accordingly. I didn't think about altitude so, I froze that first night; cold lasted until westward side of Castrojeriz. I felt a wee sorry for other peregrinos who had to hear my incessant coughing until I feel asleep.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
oz.JPG
Just an added note, in these politically correct times (at least in Canada) the term "rapeseed" seems to have fallen out of fashion in favour of the term "canola". It is an oil seed with both culinary and industrial uses.
A couple of more photos of these beautiful flowers along the Camino.IMG_8718.JPG

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back