• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino CF-things are not that bad - May 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
Recent posts show that some people, especially those preparing for their first CF Camino, are panicking at the idea of not being able to find accommodation, even to the point of envisaging giving up their plan to walk the Camino.

The first point I would like to make is that people’s comments, including my own, are punctual perceptions of a certain reality but that they cannot be generalised to the Camino in it’s entirety nor for all months of the year.

The problems encountered last weekend (end of April beginning of May) were very specific (a long weekend holiday) and should not be considered typical.

As others have already pointed out, the fact that Booking.com does not have accommodation does not mean that there is none available.

Places where beds or rooms can be reserved in advance are likely to fill up sooner than places were reservations are not allowed.

You should also take into account the “wave“ phenomenon.

It is clear too that more people are looking for private rooms.

Be realistic-it will be more difficult to find accommodation in small villages than in small towns.

I have been on the Camino for three weeks now and I do not think that there is a general lack of accommodation.

I walked the CF in 2018 and I have the impression that there are fewer pilgrims this time round.

I remember entering Viana in 2018 and seeing the main street lined with café terraces full of pilgrims. This year, there were much fewer pilgrims to be seen.

Likewise, this morning, at the Cruz de hierro , I only saw half a dozen people whereas in the past I have seen dozens and dozens of people swarming around it.

In conclusion, I would urge all those who intend to walk the CF to maintain their plans. Do not allow a few distressed posts from people who have encountered difficulties put you off from coming. Things are not that bad! And there are always solutions.

As I am busy walking the Camino, do not expect me to participate in a discussion on this theme. I have given you in good faith my perception of the situation in the hope that it will reassure people who feel insecure at the idea of not finding a bed for the night.

I would add that if you do feel insecure, it is all the more reason for you to do the Camino, because having to face up to insecurity and doubts and overcome them will be a healing process for you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Recent posts show that some people, especially those preparing for their first CF Camino, are panicking at the idea of not being able to find accommodation, even to the point of envisaging giving up their plan to walk the Camino.

The first point I would like to make is that people’s comments, including my own, are punctual perceptions of a certain reality but that they cannot be generalised to the Camino in it’s entirety nor for all months of the year.

The problems encountered last weekend (end of April beginning of May) were very specific (a long weekend holiday) and should not be considered typical.

As others have already pointed out, the fact that Booking.com does not have accommodation does not mean that there is none available.

Places where beds or rooms can be reserved in advance are likely to fill up sooner than places were reservations are not allowed.

Be realistic-it will be more difficult to find accommodation in small villages than in small towns.

I have been on the Camino for three weeks now and I do not think that there is a general lack of accommodation.

I walked the CF in 2018 and I have the impression that there are fewer pilgrims this time round.

I remember entering Viana in 2018 and seeing the main street lined with café terraces full of pilgrims. This year, there were much fewer pilgrims to be seen.

Likewise, this morning, at the Cruz de hierro , I only saw half a dozen people whereas in the past I have seen dozens and dozens of people swarming around it.

In conclusion, I would urge all those who intend to walk the CF to maintain their plans. Do not allow a few distressed posts from people who have encountered difficulties put you off from coming. Things are not that bad! And there are always solutions.

As I am busy walking the Camino, do not expect me to participate in a discussion on this theme. I have given you in good faith my perception of the situation in the hope that it will reassure people who feel insecure at the idea of not finding a bed for the night.

I would add that if you do feel insecure, it is all the more reason for you to do the Camino, because having to face up to insecurity and doubts and overcome them will be a healing process for you!
I like your Stevenson quote!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you so much for this post! I was saying on another thread how utterly disheartening it is a first-timer to read some of these posts. I really appreciate your perspective - and contextualization. It's funny, I was lecturing students today on perspective and perception, maybe I should start listening to some of my own lectures??? :oops:

Buen Camino to you! :)

I remember the same apocalyptic panic happening last year at the same time. I was on the Meseta over the long weekend, and there were no issues to speak of where I was. We'll hear about the sky falling the first week of September too, and next year, it will be the same. Statistics says that many will decide to leave SJPP the first week of May and the first week of September, and they will run into each other until the bulge strings out, which it does.

No doubt when May 1 falls on a weekend or Friday or Monday the weekend is a long one and if the weather forecast is favorable, camino traffic is amplified, putting a squeeze on bed availability. Many folks also visit (not only walk) and are site seeing or visiting family.

Last night we were in Samos. The hotel we were in was NOT full. The Benedictine monastery there, according to another pilgrim we talked with on our way yesterday, said that there were only six guests the night before!

May 4th we overnighted in Sarria. Our hotel was not full. There were at least 50 accommodations showing availability this morning for May 5th! That is rare in September!

After leaving SJPdP up to Pamplona I always find it difficult to find rooms with private baths on the Napolean route up to Pamplona during high season.

If you are looking for such accommodations on that section book very early!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for this post, and have a wonderful Camino!

It certainly can be very different from one week to another.

I remember last year I had read a post in a german forum about the via podiensis being so packed the last years that pilgrims gave up and went home or that you needed to make reservations weeks or months ahead if you want a bed. What I read was painting a catastrophic picture.

When I walked it later that year, most gites I stayed at were almost empty and hosts I spoke with said they had very few reservations and only a few walk ins. That was in june/july. Some even closed their gite to go on vacation, because there was so little pilgrim/hiker traffic at the time!

Thank you. I'm having the same experience of partially-full accommodations, restaurants, and the Camino itself. I'm not at a bottleneck point, which may account for the difference. However, on Booking I see everything from albergue bunks to hotels over €100 in and around Malinaseca/Ponferrada for tonight, for example.

I’m going to say this one more time: this phenomenon we are seeing doesn’t seem to be a long weekend thing, or an Easter thing. It is sustained increase, reported by pilgrims (seasoned and new), hospitaleros and business owners. It is continuous - over three weeks (at least) - and I confess as a Camino addict and actual walker it is dispiriting in the extreme to have reports from the ground so readily dismissed by those sitting at home.
Recap: the data tells us the numbers are up, both on last year’s holy year and on 2019 (pre Camino). On the ground experience is seeing bar owners struggling to keep up and albergues turning ever increasing numbers of pilgrims away. Folk are stressed already, with the season barely begun. This is happening on multiple routes. Right now. And those of us who are “repeat offenders” have knowledge - and therefore advantage - that newbies don’t have. Of course the first timers are stressed…and distressed.
I can only speak for myself, but seeing the experiences of so many people routinely dismissed as catastrophising is not what the Camino has been to me these last ten years, and frankly I expected a wee bit more from the generally wise folk in this forum.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I remember the same apocalyptic panic happening last year at the same time. I was on the Meseta over the long weekend, and there were no issues to speak of where I was. We'll hear about the sky falling the first week of September too, and next year, it will be the same. Statistics says that many will decide to leave SJPP the first week of May and the first week of September, and they will run into each other until the bulge strings out, which it does.
I'm seeing a number of references regarding first week of September, is there another holiday then that I need to factor into timing of start on Frances?

I'm seeing a number of references regarding first week of September, is there another holiday then that I need to factor into timing of start on Frances?
There isn't a specific holiday in September. Numbers usually increase because the weather becomes more suitable for walking after the intense heat of July and August.

Thank you 🙏

Reactions: asl
I am on the CF , started in SJPP on the 27th of April and walking currently to Burgos. Sharing my perception: I have never experienced such a mass of Grinos. Large groups of “DayBackPacks” take over full parts of dormitories which leads to Full or Complete signs.
Getting a bed is currently a real challenge.
Booking ahead a a must.

[Edited to correct date]

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m going to say this one more time: this phenomenon we are seeing doesn’t seem to be a long weekend thing, or an Easter thing. It is sustained increase, reported by pilgrims (seasoned and new), hospitaleros and business owners. It is continuous - over three weeks (at least) - and I confess as a Camino addict and actual walker it is dispiriting in the extreme to have reports from the ground so readily dismissed by those sitting at home.
Recap: the data tells us the numbers are up, both on last year’s holy year and on 2019 (pre Camino). On the ground experience is seeing bar owners struggling to keep up and albergues turning ever increasing numbers of pilgrims away. Folk are stressed already, with the season barely begun. This is happening on multiple routes. Right now. And those of us who are “repeat offenders” have knowledge - and therefore advantage - that newbies don’t have. Of course the first timers are stressed…and distressed.
I can only speak for myself, but seeing the experiences of so many people routinely dismissed as catastrophising is not what the Camino has been to me these last ten years, and frankly I expected a wee bit more from the generally wise folk in this forum.
To be fair, a number of the posts on this thread, at least, saying things are not so bad are also direct from people on the ground, including the one that started the thread. If we shouldn't dismiss the experiences of the people experiencing very real difficulties, by the same token perhaps we should not dismiss the experiences of those who are not.

To be fair, a number of the posts on this thread, at least, saying things are not so bad are also direct from people on the ground, including the one that started the thread. If we shouldn't dismiss the experiences of the people experiencing very real difficulties, by the same token perhaps we should not dismiss the experiences of those who are not.
You’re right, of course, and it was not my intention to dismiss the views of those who are not struggling. Rather, I was trying to say - and clearly I didn’t do it well - that those of us who are experienced will navigate the hurdles caused by these surges: I’ve been on the ground three weeks and been relatively untouched because I know how to roll with the changes. First timers aren’t necessarily so well equipped.
Newbies and first timers are really struggling. Business owners are too: they are answering vastly more emails requesting and confirming bookings and I’m hearing anecdotal evidence suggesting there is a significant increase in folk making multiple bookings.
I think we owe it to folk starting out in their first Camino to tell how things are now for the majority, not the minority. From my conversations on the Frances right mow, there are more struggling than doing fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We arrived in Granon this afternoon. We made the choice to book ahead for the rest of the trip to Santiago, and many we’ve talked to have done the same but we are also seeing that people who get to the towns around 2 pm are able to get into the albergues. It seemed worst in the beginning but seems to be getting better now

As we speak, 2447 pilgrims have received their Compostelas today in Santiago, with 3 hours more open office for more pilgrims arriving. It is a very high number... And this is just those wanting a Compostela: Oldtimers like me will just walk into town not bothering getting a Compostela, so the total traffic is quite higher than what the PO indicates. And there are most certainly many of these oldtimers walking now...

Old pilgrims never die: they just smell like that...

With the panic observered this week, including last weekend, this number will rise in the weeks to come. It is serious traffic now, and pilgrims need to think about strategies (walk shorter/longer/sideways/break out of a wave/etc.)

Last edited:
- that those of us who are experienced will navigate the hurdles caused by these surges: I’ve been on the ground three weeks and been relatively untouched because I know how to roll with the changes. First timers aren’t necessarily so well equipped.
Yes, I agree. Let us equip them. Coping and managing strategies are good. I personally would never set off from SJPP the May Day long weekend or the first two weeks of September. That's just asking to have your coping strategies tested. I'm not suggesting that being caught in a wave is not distressing, I'm suggesting a strategy to stay out of the largest waves.......which are predictable.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This discussion has been going on for quite some time now in several different threads. It seems there are very different views on the matter and no consensus on what ‘the truth’ is. This could be due to various factors (specific location, timing – did you hit a ‘wave’), but perhaps it also has something to do with the fact that people are different and that where some see problems and limitations, others see possibilities and solutions.

I think the truth is viewed as what you may be experiencing at the moment. In some places is is obviously very busy. Other places not so much. Maybe take a new stressed out pilgrim under your wing when you can. I know we do a lot of talking with people before they go to the Camino as pilgrims and also as hospitaleros. We try to remain positive and share strategies. We freely admit that sometimes there are bottlenecks and discuss ideas of how to address those issues. My husband is talking to a new hospitalero today on Zoom before he takes his first assignment and he is understandably nervous about some logistics.

Trying to remain positive in the face of frustrations can be difficult and I don't want to be Pollyanna and say everything will always turn out OK. Still when we're on the Camino, that's a pretty wonderful thing.

Yay!!!! Great post. Common sense applies. 🙂

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for bringing a bit of first-hand knowledge and sanity.

To explain why some people don't believe the panic posts about beds:

I've been told before by those currently at home (and even others on the trail the same time as me!) how very busy it is, while I walked into albergue after albergue as a walk-in without reservation, year after year on different routes. I was on site, saw how empty the trail was or how easy to find accommodation, and was still told I was wrong.

So it goes both ways.

It's like that one guy who told me I'd never get anywhere with those sandals, when I had already walked 1000kms in them that year without a single blister. It was his third day by the way, and I gave him my blister kit, because he needed it and hadn't brought one.

So, sorry, but I do believe my own experience more by now than people that panic at the thought of sleeping on the floor of an overflow.

I don't doubt that for someone who walks for the first time that's a very stressfull thought and probably even more stressfull experience.

But I don't think we all have to panic with them.

It is more important to share strategies about how to cope with difficult situations, since many first time pilgrims seem to lack those and already panic when they can't find beds on booking.com.

Keep calm and learn how to cope should be the focus. That's what the more experienced pilgrims can help with.

Not *Oh my good it 's so busy nobody should ever walk the Francés again* or *better stay at home*, as some of the recent panic posts suggest, some by people who haven't even walked the Camino yet.

To explain why some people don't believe the panic posts about beds:

I've been told before by those currently at home (and even others on the trail the same time as me!) how very busy it is, while I walked into albergue after albergue as a walk-in without reservation, year after year on different routes. I was on site, saw how empty the trail was or how easy to find accommodation, and was still told I was wrong.

So it goes both ways.

It's like that one guy who told me I'd never get anywhere with those sandals, when I had already walked 1000kms in them that year without a single blister. It was his third day by the way, and I gave him my blister kit, because he needed it and hadn't brought one.

So, sorry, but I do believe my own experience more by now than people that panic at the thought of sleeping on the floor of an overflow.

I don't doubt that for someone who walks for the first time that's a very stressfull thought and probably even more stressfull experience.

But I don't think we all have to panic with them.

It is more important to share strategies about how to cope with difficult situations, since many first time pilgrims seem to lack those and already panic when they can't find beds on booking.com.

Keep calm and learn how to cope should be the focus. That's what the more experienced pilgrims can help with.

Not *Oh my good it 's so busy nobody should ever walk the Francés again* or *better stay at home*, as some of the recent panic posts suggest, some by people who haven't even walked the Camino yet.
I agree with you; however, 2770 pilgrims went to the PO to claim a Compostela today, not to mention all those oldtimers/pagans who didn't care for getting one. It is a lot for a single day.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are facts, and alternate facts. Don’t let it spoil your weekend.

Every year, at about this time, the sky falls.

If somewhere is full it’s full. If it’s not - well ..

(I lasted three days)

Thank you for your reassuring post. I’m a week off starting the CF and was getting a bit anxious! Buen Camino!

Thank you for your reassuring post. I’m a week off starting the CF and was getting a bit anxious! Buen Camino!
Maybe try to get a reservation the first few days. There are some albergues that don't take reservations as well but if that makes you feel afraid, sounds like that approach might not be best for you. Try to stay in some of the in between towns which may not have as much competition as the traditional stopping points. If you have been reading through these posts you will already know some of the strategies. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Exactly. The strategy that I share is that if you are starting from SJPdP during a busy time (particularly the first two weeks of May and September) book up through Pamplona.
Every year, at about this time, the sky falls.
And it will fall again at the beginning of September.

We started in the first week of sept in 2016, back then Zubiri was full and Larasoana reported full also, so taxied to Pamplona and then back to walk from were we left.
No public holidays but there was a medieval festival in Pamplona that weekend, which was great fun but made accommodation a bit difficult - we grabbed a hotel and stayed 3 nights.
Then when we got to Logronno it was the start of the week-long wine harvest festival, again lots of fun but hostels full of party-goers so we got a hotel and stayed 2 nights.
We walk slow, so a fair bit later there was Spain's national public holiday when we were in Villafranca, but that was dead. No crowds but cafes etc open.

Are you on the Camino right now? That's really all I want to know in order to consider whether your opinions about the Camino right now are valid. I don't mean this negatively, but if your comments are not in real time you are contributing to the catastrophizing.

And if you are on the Camino right now, I'd really love to hear specific examples as this poster has offered.

Are you on the Camino right now? That's really all I want to know in order to consider whether your opinions about the Camino right now are valid. I don't mean this negatively, but if your comments are not in real time you are contributing to the catastrophizing.

Taking a few moments to read @DebR's recent posts in this and other threads carefully would show you that she is indeed currently walking the Camino Frances and was in Burgos last week. Accusations of 'catastrophizing' are rude and unhelpful.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There's a graph on the APOTC FB group that says that numbers leaving SJPP are up 9% on 2019. I'll try to post a photo here. It's hardly a massive increase. View attachment 146394
I can’t check this right now but just want to point out that one has to be precise about how numbers are collected. Are these pilgrims counted as passing through the pilgrims office in SJPP or are these pilgrims counted as passing through the pilgrims office in Santiago and indicating SJPP as their starting point?

My observation (I am on the Frances now) is that there are a lot of people on the camino. I may be between bubbles, but there are beds available, so demand is not overwhelming capacity here. Note, I said beds. Rooms, not so much. I’d like a private room once in a while, but I am resigned to not getting one. A lot of pre-booking and luggage forwarding seems to be happening, but the municipals so far have been available.

I can’t check this right now but just want to point out that one has to be precise about how numbers are collected. Are these pilgrims counted as passing through the pilgrims office in SJPP or are these pilgrims counted as passing through the pilgrims office in Santiago and indicating SJPP as their starting point?
I think that the graph was created from statistics from Pilgrim office in St Jean Pied de Port.

The April data is now on the SJPDP Facebook page. The total recorded this April was 9,604. By comparison the April 2022 figure was 6,796 and the 2019 figure was 8,557. Closer to a 12% increase on the record April 2019 numbers than the 2% guesstimate above.

View attachment 146233

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I

And if you are on the Camino right now, I'd really love to hear specific examples as this poster has offered.
I am on the Frances Right now; passed the halfway point today having started in SJPP on 19 April. Since starting I have:
- seen almost every pilgrim I have met struggle to find a bed on multiple consecutive days, sometimes spending up to two hours telephoning every albergue within a three or four town radius of their preferred destination
- many folk resort to buses or taxis to jump multiple stages solely because the only bed they could find was days away
- albergue owners (multiple) turn away between three and five people in the space of an hour because they were fully booked before they opened
- whole towns with completo signs on every private accommodation option at 9:30 in the morning
- bar owners unable to keep up with the volume of passing trade and talking of closing or selling their businesses
- albergue owners reporting working until midnight to answer requests for bookings or confirmation of accommodation, after of course working all day on their “usual” activity.
This is a snapshot only.
I feel like there’s some confirmation bias at play here: I and many others are reporting these experiences, but folk not on the way seem to prefer accounts that reinforce their prior experiences. However, both the official data and significant anecdotal experience suggests a shift is afoot.

I am on the Frances Right now; passed the halfway point today having started in SJPP on 19 April. Since starting I have:
- seen almost every pilgrim I have met struggle to find a bed on multiple consecutive days, sometimes spending up to two hours telephoning every albergue within a three or four town radius of their preferred destination
- many folk resort to buses or taxis to jump multiple stages solely because the only bed they could find was days away
- albergue owners (multiple) turn away between three and five people in the space of an hour because they were fully booked before they opened

Are any of these pilgrims opting to stay in non-bookable public or parochial albergues?

- whole towns with completo signs on every private accommodation option at 9:30 in the morning
- bar owners unable to keep up with the volume of passing trade and talking of closing or selling their businesses
- albergue owners reporting working until midnight to answer requests for bookings or confirmation of accommodation, after of course working all day on their “usual” activity.
This is a snapshot only.
I feel like there’s some confirmation bias at play here: I and many others are reporting these experiences, but folk not on the way seem to prefer accounts that reinforce their prior experiences. However, both the official data and significant anecdotal experience suggests a shift is afoot.
Hey Deb, thanks for the examples, and for what you posted before. I apologize for my part in you thinking I was being rude (I may have been) but that is not what is intended.

People are making important decisions and they need timely information that is as valid as possible. You have provided yours, which is very helpful. By posting again without any new detail, you are just piling on what you said. I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but there are many people, with very specific information as well, that are saying the opposite of what you are saying, particularly about municipal albergues, different dates (holidays etc.) and points on the Camino, on and off Brierly stages etc.

I really appreciate your point about confirmation bias which makes me think that we agree that what we need most is current information, without added emotion or opinion. I assume you are posting "On the Way". Please keep posting your experiences. And if you have a few weeks after Santiago, head up the Norte and let us know how it's going there! I'm probably headed there this fall if I can wade through what everyone is saying both positive and negative.

I'm waking the Camino right now and there IS a lack of beds. You need to arrive early or you'll be getting a taxi to another town. We're in Villa de Franca right now, we have a bed but others weren't so lucky.

Hey Deb, thanks for the examples, and for what you posted before. I apologize for my part in you thinking I was being rude (I may have been) but that is not what is intended.

People are making important decisions and they need timely information that is as valid as possible. You have provided yours, which is very helpful. By posting again without any new detail, you are just piling on what you said. I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but there are many people, with very specific information as well, that are saying the opposite of what you are saying, particularly about municipal albergues, different dates (holidays etc.) and points on the Camino, on and off Brierly stages etc.

I really appreciate your point about confirmation bias which makes me think that we agree that what we need most is current information, without added emotion or opinion. I assume you are posting "On the Way". Please keep posting your experiences. And if you have a few weeks after Santiago, head up the Norte and let us know how it's going there! I'm probably headed there this fall if I can wade through what everyone is saying both positive and negative.
Exactly what new information do you want me to provide? Names and dates?
I was asked for specific examples and gave them. I have ten years’ experience walking the Camino and I know what I am seeing and hearing. I’m on the ground, talking to people and observing and I have been doing my best to add to the wisdom of this forum that has helped me over the years by providing accurate updates.
I confess I expected a lot more from this seasoned group that repeated dismissiveness and gaslighting, particularly from folk nowhere near the Way.
I’m sorry that what I am seeing doesn’t fit with the preferred narrative of this group; and disappointed by your inference that my observations are misleading.
From here on I reckon I’ll just keep my experience to myself.

I was asked for specific examples and gave them. I have ten years’ experience walking the Camino and I know what I am seeing and hearing. I’m on the ground, talking to people and observing and I have been doing my best to add to the wisdom of this forum that has helped me over the years by providing accurate updates.
I confess I expected a lot more from this seasoned group that repeated dismissiveness and gaslighting, particularly from folk nowhere near the Way.
I’m sorry that what I am seeing doesn’t fit with the preferred narrative of this group; and disappointed by your inference that my observations are misleading.
No, please by all means keep reporting as you go on. I am planning an April/May CF for next year and I have already been
finding difficulties in reserving rooms/beds.

Last edited:
We are reading different experiences, and there is no "preferred narrative". We have individual perspectives and sometimes are slow to figure things out, especially in face of conflicting reports. Your experiences are not being dismissed, nor are those who say they are not having such difficulties. It is quite revealing to see the differences and try to understand the overall situation.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, please by all means keep reporting as you go on. I am planning an April/May CF for next year and I have already been
finding difficulties in reserving rooms/beds.
You may find that reservations may not be taken until after this season. Many of these places are small family run albergues so do not have the infrastructure for reservations 12 months out.

Some folks here at this albergue have been trying to make a booking for Najera in two days. They’ve finally decided they have no choice but to book an expensive room. In their case, I suspect inflexibility as they will not consider a shorter day even though one is in pain.

Any pilgrims currently walking who mainly stay in places that can't be booked and who can report?

Maybe that would help to get a more complete picture.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Any pilgrims currently walking who mainly stay in places that can't be booked and who can report?

Maybe that would help to get a more complete picture.
Me? I haven’t booked anything. Don’t plan to either. But … I am walking short stages so am beating any crowds. That said, nothing has yet been truly full. The municipal in Estella piosted a sign that they were full at 2 pm, but they held back some beds for late arrivals.

However, most of the municipals I’ve stayed at have accepted reservations. I’ve been posting about this in three different threads. (Note: I joined the Frances off the Aragon.)

I think I’m between bubbles.

I’m certainly not discounting your current experience, I’m just not surprised. For the last 10 years I’ve not set foot on the Frances from mid April through to mid September. It doesn’t matter whether there is 1 more or 100 more bums than beds; full is full - but at this time of year it’s usual.

Me? I haven’t booked anything. Don’t plan to either. But … I am walking short stages so am beating any crowds. That said, nothing has yet been truly full. The municipal in Estella piosted a sign that they were full at 2 pm, but they held back some beds for late arrivals.

However, most of the municipals I’ve stayed at have accepted reservations. I’ve been posting about this in three different threads. (Note: I joined the Frances off the Aragon.)

I think I’m between bubbles.
Ive been learning a lot about how pilgrim waves have peaks and troughs, and about how understanding mass psychology can help navigate accomodations.

NorthernLight and a couple others are my examples of how some are doing pretty well while others are not. I leave in 2 weeks and I hope that I'm able to make use of these lessons.

Thanks all.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Okay, enough with the pile on folks.
Can the mods please remove all my posts on this and any other recent “crowding” thread?
There are only so many times I’m willing to be called a liar.

You may find that reservations may not be taken until after this season. Many of these places are small family run albergues so do not have the infrastructure for reservations 12 months out.
I’ve already considered that but using Booking plus Wise Pilgrim and a few other sources now I find many towns are, effectively, “off the map”- nothing whatsoever is available. I will be trying again periodically in the coming months but frankly I expect that when I leave next spring there will be gaps in my itinerary that will be boxed in with reservations before and after that I will be loath to give up or try to change.

I just had a chat with the albergue/tienda owner in Torres del Rio, whom I remember from seven years ago. He says for the past 12 days, everything in Sansol, Torres del Rio and Viana has been full.

Okay, enough with the pile on folks.
Can the mods please remove all my posts on this and any other recent “crowding” thread?
There are only so many times I’m willing to be called a liar.
Don’t let the armchair quarterbacks get you down.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A number of valuable reports of current conditions have been made. Everyone is reporting their own experiences, which differ. It is unfortunate that we cannot listen, try to understand the reasons for the different experiences, and then help others learn how to cope with whatever they might encounter.

The Camino Frances is always very busy at this time of year. This year seems to be even busier than ever before. There seem to be waves that are worse than others. We expect and hope that the situation will ease in the next short while.

We seem to be going in circles now, so I'll lock the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back