Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Chaco Odyssey Sandals?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Past OR future Camino
I love my basic Chaco sandals.. have walked hundreds of miles in them (getting them re-strapped or re-soled when necessary). Chaco makes a closed toe sandal call the Odyssey. I like the concept, but they seem kind of lightweight to me. I'm just wondering if anyone here has walked any distance in them.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Pilar

I have had the Odyssey for about two years. They aren’t something I would walk long distances in. They would be a good option for walking in the evening as they are light weight. I too have walked many days in my original Chacos but these wouldn’t work for me.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I love my basic Chaco sandals.. have walked hundreds of miles in them (getting them re-strapped or re-soled when necessary). Chaco makes a closed toe sandal call the Odyssey. I like the concept, but they seem kind of lightweight to me. I'm just wondering if anyone here has walked any distance in them.
Not for me because I prefer the freedom of open toe sandals on the Camino.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
What about rocks and little stones? And which sandals do you wear on the Camino?
I do wear socks while I'm on the Camino. I will occasionally get a little stone in my sandals, but it's easy to shake them out. I have worn some men's Merrell hiking sandals that have a good Vibram sole. Unfortunately, the style that I use is discontinued, but I have a brand new pair in a box ready for my next Camino!

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

rdcalhoon

Past OR future Camino
I have a pair I bought about 6 months to help with my plantar fasciitis struggles. I frequently wear them all day at work in the office. I like the closed toe for office work with clients.
I suspect that the toe protection is more of a factor when walking in streams or the like. I do think it reduces the amount of stray gravel, but then it can be more work to remove stuff.
My longest hike so far has been about 6+ miles. They performed well for me.They are definitely on my short list for the Camino. I will be trying some longer hikes. They are maybe too heavy to carry as a second pair if I go with trail runners.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Past OR future Camino
Not for me because I prefer the freedom of open toe sandals on the Camino.
I do, too. There are some trails here in New Mexico, though, where there is a lot of sand and loose gravel and open toe sandals are not idea. I hate shoes though, so was hoping these might be an option.
What about rocks and little stones? And which sandals do you wear on the Camino?
I wear the Chaco Z-1 sandals. They have Vibram soles. Occasionally I might get a little piece of gravel under my foot. I just kick the toe of my sandal toward the ground and it pops out. People wearing shoes usually have more problems with that than I do.

Past OR future Camino
I do, too. There are some trails here in New Mexico, though, where there is a lot of sand and loose gravel and open toe sandals are not idea. I hate shoes though, so was hoping these might be an option.

I wear the Chaco Z-1 sandals. They have Vibram soles. Occasionally I might get a little piece of gravel under my foot. I just kick the toe of my sandal toward the ground and it pops out. People wearing shoes usually have more problems with thabarefoot

I wear the Chaco Z-1 sandals. They have Vibram soles. Occasionally I might get a little piece of gravel under my foot. I just kick the toe of my sandal toward the ground and it pops out. People wearing shoes usually have more problems with that than I do.
Im with you there, barefooted most of the time 💃🏻

Past OR future Camino
I have a pair I bought about 6 months to help with my plantar fasciitis struggles. I frequently wear them all day at work in the office. I like the closed toe for office work with clients.
I suspect that the toe protection is more of a factor when walking in streams or the like. I do think it reduces the amount of stray gravel, but then it can be more work to remove stuff.
My longest hike so far has been about 6+ miles. They performed well for me.They are definitely on my short list for the Camino. I will be trying some longer hikes. They are maybe too heavy to carry as a second pair if I go with trail runners.
I agree, at 1.5 for the pair, I don’t want the extra weight. Lite is right🚶🏼‍♀️

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Tamarack

Past OR future Camino
Hi JillGat. I've been training in the Chaco Odyssey, as a long time user of the Classic Chaco sandal, looking for a lighter weight sandal. I did a backpack trip, just 13 miles, here in Montana in them this summer. I wore socks and was in and out of the stream many times. They were great, and gave me the arch support I've always loved about Chacos. However, I've decided to take my Chaco Z/Volv sandals on my camino because they're even lighter and I found my feet got too warm this summer wearing the Odyssey without socks on warm days. Little pebbles happened, but not too often because of the closed toes. I hope this is helpful.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Past OR future Camino
Hi JillGat. I've been training in the Chaco Odyssey, as a long time user of the Classic Chaco sandal, looking for a lighter weight sandal. I did a backpack trip, just 13 miles, here in Montana in them this summer. I wore socks and was in and out of the stream many times. They were great, and gave me the arch support I've always loved about Chacos. However, I've decided to take my Chaco Z/Volv sandals on my camino because they're even lighter and I found my feet got too warm this summer wearing the Odyssey without socks on warm days. Little pebbles happened, but not too often because of the closed toes. I hope this is helpful.
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Tamarack

Past OR future Camino
Excellent! I will add that I'm taking my Z/Volvs as my backup hikers to my trail runners. The Odysseys might be fine in the fall, when I'm going, but they weigh a couple ounces more than the Z/Volvs, which surprised me.

Past OR future Camino
Portugues '15, '16, & '19
Via Francigena '17
Frances '18
Muxia & Finisterre '18
Tahoe Rim Trail '19
I am not familiar with the Odyssey but I find that rocks in Chacos are much easier to remove than rocks in shoes.

I have worn Chacos on my last four caminos. The simplicity and heavy sole is perfect for the trail surfaces. I do carry trail runners but only as a backup for muddy or cold days

Attachments

• 20160922_211906.jpg
    20160922_211906.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated