• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chaco Odyssey Sandals?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I love my basic Chaco sandals.. have walked hundreds of miles in them (getting them re-strapped or re-soled when necessary). Chaco makes a closed toe sandal call the Odyssey. I like the concept, but they seem kind of lightweight to me. I'm just wondering if anyone here has walked any distance in them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have had the Odyssey for about two years. They aren’t something I would walk long distances in. They would be a good option for walking in the evening as they are light weight. I too have walked many days in my original Chacos but these wouldn’t work for me.

I love my basic Chaco sandals.. have walked hundreds of miles in them (getting them re-strapped or re-soled when necessary). Chaco makes a closed toe sandal call the Odyssey. I like the concept, but they seem kind of lightweight to me. I'm just wondering if anyone here has walked any distance in them.
Not for me because I prefer the freedom of open toe sandals on the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What about rocks and little stones? And which sandals do you wear on the Camino?
I do wear socks while I'm on the Camino. I will occasionally get a little stone in my sandals, but it's easy to shake them out. I have worn some men's Merrell hiking sandals that have a good Vibram sole. Unfortunately, the style that I use is discontinued, but I have a brand new pair in a box ready for my next Camino!

I have a pair I bought about 6 months to help with my plantar fasciitis struggles. I frequently wear them all day at work in the office. I like the closed toe for office work with clients.
I suspect that the toe protection is more of a factor when walking in streams or the like. I do think it reduces the amount of stray gravel, but then it can be more work to remove stuff.
My longest hike so far has been about 6+ miles. They performed well for me.They are definitely on my short list for the Camino. I will be trying some longer hikes. They are maybe too heavy to carry as a second pair if I go with trail runners.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not for me because I prefer the freedom of open toe sandals on the Camino.
I do, too. There are some trails here in New Mexico, though, where there is a lot of sand and loose gravel and open toe sandals are not idea. I hate shoes though, so was hoping these might be an option.
What about rocks and little stones? And which sandals do you wear on the Camino?
I wear the Chaco Z-1 sandals. They have Vibram soles. Occasionally I might get a little piece of gravel under my foot. I just kick the toe of my sandal toward the ground and it pops out. People wearing shoes usually have more problems with that than I do.

I do, too. There are some trails here in New Mexico, though, where there is a lot of sand and loose gravel and open toe sandals are not idea. I hate shoes though, so was hoping these might be an option.

I wear the Chaco Z-1 sandals. They have Vibram soles. Occasionally I might get a little piece of gravel under my foot. I just kick the toe of my sandal toward the ground and it pops out. People wearing shoes usually have more problems with thabarefoot

I wear the Chaco Z-1 sandals. They have Vibram soles. Occasionally I might get a little piece of gravel under my foot. I just kick the toe of my sandal toward the ground and it pops out. People wearing shoes usually have more problems with that than I do.
Im with you there, barefooted most of the time 💃🏻

I have a pair I bought about 6 months to help with my plantar fasciitis struggles. I frequently wear them all day at work in the office. I like the closed toe for office work with clients.
I suspect that the toe protection is more of a factor when walking in streams or the like. I do think it reduces the amount of stray gravel, but then it can be more work to remove stuff.
My longest hike so far has been about 6+ miles. They performed well for me.They are definitely on my short list for the Camino. I will be trying some longer hikes. They are maybe too heavy to carry as a second pair if I go with trail runners.
I agree, at 1.5 for the pair, I don’t want the extra weight. Lite is right🚶🏼‍♀️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi JillGat. I've been training in the Chaco Odyssey, as a long time user of the Classic Chaco sandal, looking for a lighter weight sandal. I did a backpack trip, just 13 miles, here in Montana in them this summer. I wore socks and was in and out of the stream many times. They were great, and gave me the arch support I've always loved about Chacos. However, I've decided to take my Chaco Z/Volv sandals on my camino because they're even lighter and I found my feet got too warm this summer wearing the Odyssey without socks on warm days. Little pebbles happened, but not too often because of the closed toes. I hope this is helpful.

Hi JillGat. I've been training in the Chaco Odyssey, as a long time user of the Classic Chaco sandal, looking for a lighter weight sandal. I did a backpack trip, just 13 miles, here in Montana in them this summer. I wore socks and was in and out of the stream many times. They were great, and gave me the arch support I've always loved about Chacos. However, I've decided to take my Chaco Z/Volv sandals on my camino because they're even lighter and I found my feet got too warm this summer wearing the Odyssey without socks on warm days. Little pebbles happened, but not too often because of the closed toes. I hope this is helpful.
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Excellent! I will add that I'm taking my Z/Volvs as my backup hikers to my trail runners. The Odysseys might be fine in the fall, when I'm going, but they weigh a couple ounces more than the Z/Volvs, which surprised me.

I am not familiar with the Odyssey but I find that rocks in Chacos are much easier to remove than rocks in shoes.

I have worn Chacos on my last four caminos. The simplicity and heavy sole is perfect for the trail surfaces. I do carry trail runners but only as a backup for muddy or cold days

Attachments

• 20160922_211906.jpg
    20160922_211906.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
I am not familiar with the Odyssey but I find that rocks in Chacos are much easier to remove than rocks in shoes.

I have worn Chacos on my last four caminos. The simplicity and heavy sole is perfect for the trail surfaces. I do carry trail runners but only as a backup for muddy or cold days
So you Chacos are your daily/primary footware? I'm planning my first and just trying to confirm I'm not crazy for thinking I want to walk in them!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So you Chacos are your daily/primary footware? I'm planning my first and just trying to confirm I'm not crazy for thinking I want to walk in them!
You are not crazy to be thinking about walking in sandals. I used lightweight trail runners for my first two Caminos, but made the switch to sandals only for the last three. With my toes free my feet are so much happier!

I walk in the Chaco Z1 sandals. I just sent them back to be re-soled, which is a great service, too. I have them put Vibram soles on them. They easily hold up for walking across Spain. Interestingly enough, I just sent in a review to Chaco about the Odyssey, which I bought later, after I posted in this thread before. I wear them around town all the time; they are very comfortable and look pretty good, I think, with jeans or a skirt. Sometimes a closed toe is what you want/need and they fit just like the Z1s. However they are NOT made for actual hiking or trekking. They are lightweight and wouldn't hold up on a Camino, I don't think. In my review to Chaco, I encouraged them to make something just like that, but more durable like their sandals.

I've got trail runners as a base shoe but was thinking of sandals for a few hours a day and evenings also. Not really needing something durable, would chaco odyssey work?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've got trail runners as a base shoe but was thinking of sandals for a few hours a day and evenings also. Not really needing something durable, would chaco odyssey work?
As long as you're not wearing them all day every day on Camino, I think they'd be fine. I used by Chaco Z-Volv the way you describe, and they were fine. They're light and not built for serious hiking....

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.