• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chaco sandals pros and cons? (plantar fasciitis dramas)

holhum

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
Leaving in a week (I will be walking from Leon in June after a month of other travel in Europe) and have to make a decision about the 'second' pair of shoes to take.

I have pretty bad plantar fasciitis in one foot and it is too late for any miracle cures, I just need to manage it. I switched from Merrel boots to New Balance trail runners with custom orthotics, and I am now getting worried about what to use end of the day that I could reasonably walk around town in. My foot is always worst after a day of walking of course. My trail runners may be wet and I gather it is good to let your feet 'breathe' a bit and of course I need something to wear to showers. I only want to bring one extra pair of shoes as I want my pack weight at around 5-6 kg before food and water.

Chaco is not a brand that is well known in Australia, but the Mega Z Cloud come up in online reviews and my local shoe shop actually has a pair in my size in stock. My only reservation is that they seem heavy, esp. compared to my other two options which are rubber birkenstocks (very light and comfy but little tread, so only good around the albergue, or my Merrel sandals, which I know I can't walk far in as they don't have enough arch support and cushioning).

That is a long ramble sorry...I don't want to get this wrong given the problem I have with my foot. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've had problems with plantar faciitis, too, including when I walked my camino. I found that with arch supports in my hiking boots, my Teva sandals and an ankle strap with arch bracing (I picked that up half-way along) it was very manageable. Most days it didn't bother me at all. Like you mentioned, being Australian I'm not familiar with Chaco, but as long as they have some support they should be fine when combined with your runners and orthotics which you'll be spending most of your time in.

Just do a bit of massage when you first take your shoes off after walking and periodically if you're sitting in the afternoon and start to feel your muscles tightening. I carried tape with me in case I needed to strap my foot but I didn't end up using it for that. I actually only picked up my arch supports when I got to Pamplona, too because I was in so much pain. That was really all it took though to make them fine again.

You're aware of the signs of it worsening, I imagine, and there are plenty of pharmacies along the way if you need anything extra.

I've had problems with plantar faciitis, too, including when I walked my camino. I found that with arch supports in my hiking boots, my Teva sandals and an ankle strap with arch bracing (I picked that up half-way along) it was very manageable. Most days it didn't bother me at all. Like you mentioned, being Australian I'm not familiar with Chaco, but as long as they have some support they should be fine when combined with your runners and orthotics which you'll be spending most of your time in.

Just do a bit of massage when you first take your shoes off after walking and periodically if you're sitting in the afternoon and start to feel your muscles tightening. I carried tape with me in case I needed to strap my foot but I didn't end up using it for that. I actually only picked up my arch supports when I got to Pamplona, too because I was in so much pain. That was really all it took though to make them fine again.

You're aware of the signs of it worsening, I imagine, and there are plenty of pharmacies along the way if you need anything extra.
Thanks! Yes I actually have a little rubber ball that I'm taking as I find standing on that to massage my foot really helps. It sounds like the pharmacies have all the relevant things for pilgrim problems :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oofos sandals are my recommendation. I say this as someone who had a full plantar fasciotomy then 10 months later walked all of CF.

I am booked to start Del Norte 1st Sept flying out from Melbourne
I have had a chat with my Osteopath as I also have foot dramas - I was going to drag my Birkenstock jandles(sorry Kiwi talk) plus rubber jandals for the shower - but Birkenstocks are too chunky for my pack so he put me onto Archies high arch jandals made by a local Melbourne Ostopath -
can buy them on line $35-www.archiesfootwear.com.au so will use these for recovery each day plus shower - not sure I will wear them all night so he again suggested a light weigh pair of Sketches or similar for heading into the town / village - Archies jandals weigh 167 gms - hope this helps

I like my Chacos, but they are heavy. How about something that will accommodate your orthotics ... like Crocs. You can use the Crocs without your orthotics in the shower, and then put them in for walking around town etc. I have done this and it worked out well. This year I am bringing my LiteRide Clog. They have a softer upper, and cushioned soles. They do not feel like a piece of plastic.:D:cool:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been looking at this ones, they have a good reputation with long distance hikers :

Chacos and Echos are both good, but heavy. On the Camino, I had a pair of "Madrid" style Birkenstocks which were light and had a supportive foot bed for the evening. I had plantar faciitis in one foot and a sprained ankle on the other side after a spill on the old Roman road. I think Crocs would also be a good, but perhaps less stylish selection for traveling the rest of Europe. My husband who is currently struggling with plantar faciitis here at home wears either his Tevas or Crocs after a day of too much walking.

Chacos are great for my crappy feet but as you said too heavy. For two caminos I used oofos which are great but not real stable. This year I am wearing Chaco Odyssey which have great support for my feet but are MUCH LIGHTER than their sandals
Worth a look.
Also I could hike with them if I needed to.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am brining a pair of Birkenstocks (not the leather ones) as well. To me, they are lighter than Crock and as comfortable but I think each person has to try them out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Leaving in a week (I will be walking from Leon in June after a month of other travel in Europe) and have to make a decision about the 'second' pair of shoes to take.

I have pretty bad plantar fasciitis in one foot and it is too late for any miracle cures, I just need to manage it. I switched from Merrel boots to New Balance trail runners with custom orthotics, and I am now getting worried about what to use end of the day that I could reasonably walk around town in. My foot is always worst after a day of walking of course. My trail runners may be wet and I gather it is good to let your feet 'breathe' a bit and of course I need something to wear to showers. I only want to bring one extra pair of shoes as I want my pack weight at around 5-6 kg before food and water.

Chaco is not a brand that is well known in Australia, but the Mega Z Cloud come up in online reviews and my local shoe shop actually has a pair in my size in stock. My only reservation is that they seem heavy, esp. compared to my other two options which are rubber birkenstocks (very light and comfy but little tread, so only good around the albergue, or my Merrel sandals, which I know I can't walk far in as they don't have enough arch support and cushioning).

That is a long ramble sorry...I don't want to get this wrong given the problem I have with my foot. Thanks!
Order you a pair of kuru. They have eliminated my pf.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I found a really nice well cushioned pair of Sketcher slides. Have had plantar fasciitis and used crocs cleo sandals for the evening. They were actually great.

I have bad plantar fasciitis too and Oofos have been the best thing out there! However they are terrible when wet and my feet slide around in them so you have to be really careful not to roll an ankle. They are very light weight too. However I could not walk long in them and I use them as just a recovery sandal. Chacos are great too but they would be too heavy. I am interested in trying the Chaco Odysessy as OP said it was light weight

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like Chacos but they weigh a ton. I'm on my second pair of Oofos, quite simply the most comfortable object of any kind I have worn on my feet. I too suffer plantar fasciitis but these are amazing to put on at the end of a long day of hiking. I'm on my second pair because I lost my first pair at an albergue on the norte.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can’t speak to Chacos vs PF. I wear them all the time if the temp is above 40*F here in Colorado. I took them on my first Camino as my shower shoes and apres hiking. Yes, they are heavy when in your pack.
My feet were so happy in them at the end of the day, that I put my boots in the bottom of my pack an hiked all day in my Chacos.
I have since hiked a second Camino Frances and West Highland Way 90%+ in Chacos. I carry a pair of Keen water proof boots for really cold days and downpours.
Again, Chacos are heavy when they are in your pack, but I don’t even feel them when they are on my feet. What makes them heavy also cushions my heel strike, and pads my foot so that I don’t even feel sharp rocks or roots in the trail. The strapping system (yes, the toe loop) keeps the sandal firmly against the bottom of your foot. There is no sliding or slapping. The Chaco is one with your foot.
I am starting my third Camino in a couple days and, if it’s above 40*F, I will be wearing my Chacos with a pair of boots in my pack.
I also bought a pair of Injinji toe socks (low quarter) that I have donned on cold mornings so that I can still wear my Chacos with toe loop in place.
Are Chacos comfortable? Very.
Will Chacos help with PF? Don’t know.
Are Chacos heavy? In your pack-yes. On your feet-no
Are Chacos worth the price? Yes. On my 4th pair, plus a resolve. End of season sales almost 1/2.
Should you take them? Ultimately up to you. I say “yes.”

I don’t have plantar fasciitis, however, I’m a Chaco’s fan...they are a heavier sandal for sure. I used mine for over 700km on the Francés...they do have some arch support as I cannot do without something. Also, I toss them in the washing machine when they start smelling. They’re also on the pricey side. I love mine, but they are not for everyone. I’d suggest trying them out before you committed to taking them on camino. Bom Caminho 👣

Chaco’s are saved me! On my second Camino (Portugués 2017) I injured my plantar (I used to be a runner so I know the injury) puddle jumping (came down on round rock just beneath the surface of water). The weight of them were never an issue with me because they are a true rugged hiking sandal. After some rehab time (almost 2 weeks) I could walk 10-15km a day, sometimes 20, in my Chacos. When my foot would swell I could loosen or tighten the sandals as needed (or go from single to double sock. The quality of the all rubber arch support was what I needed. I finished the Portugués ONLY because I brought my Chacos!!! Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hope those trail runners work out for you. My podiatrist told me that most certainly they were the worst thing I could wear for a long distance hike. Especially given that they were the cause of my plantar fasciitis on my first Camino. I’m now back to walking in real boots and have had no problems.
Sincerely hope you have no pain. I know how bad it can get.

Hope those trail runners work out for you. My podiatrist told me that most certainly they were the worst thing I could wear for a long distance hike. Especially given that they were the cause of my plantar fasciitis on my first Camino. I’m now back to walking in real boots and have had no problems.
Sincerely hope you have no pain. I know how bad it can get.
@alaskadiver
Thanks for this post. I have always walked in boots, both in the mountains at home and on camino. But I had begun to consider getting something lighter for my camino this fall, because the first couple of weeks of my walk shall be largely on easy trails on the Madrid. But your posts about the Invierno, where I shall finish my camino, and your comments here, have encouraged me to continue with boots, especially for the Invierno. Why give up what works? I have also had plantar fasciitis, and it occasionally reminds me that it could recur. Anyway, I need new boots for the mountains and I know what works for me in boots: so off to buy another pair. I hope that your Invierno is still going well.

Brought Chacos on my last Camino. They were heavy but that makes them good over rugged terrain so you don’t feel every rock in the path and great in terms of support. I had to do a lot of fiddling with the straps as my feet would swell. Also found it easy to get little pebbles and pieces of grit under my feet and under the straps. Even used them to hold on bandage after a blister infection. Used Ecco sandals on a previous Camino and they were easier to adjust because of Velcro but seemed to rub where my blisters were. Both had pluses and minuses. IMO Crocs would be supportive for after your daily walk but too thin on the bottom to handle the terrain. Good luck and Buen Camino B946CC7A-7A86-4E1E-8FB5-369B7FC65D1A.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought two different styles of Chacos but have decided after wearing them to Costa Rica and getting hot spots on the top of my feet, I’m sticking to my Keens and Hoka One Ones. The weight isn’t worth it to take them.

My wife has PF and wears Teva Sandals after walking.
I know you are leaving very soon, but have you had cortisone shots into the PF?
They work.
Not sure where you are in OZ but we get them done at Auburn Imaging. They are really good there. Need a GP Referral. They are done under Ultrasound guidance by a doctor. Takes the 'edge off' the pain for about 4 weeks.

My wife has PF and wears Teva Sandals after walking.
I know you are leaving very soon, but have you had cortisone shots into the PF?
They work.
Not sure where you are in OZ but we get them done at Auburn Imaging. They are really good there. Need a GP Referral. They are done under Ultrasound guidance by a doctor. Takes the 'edge off' the pain for about 4 weeks.
I had cortisone shots in my feet 10 days before we left. You don’t need ultrasound and my podiatrist gave them to me. My first shots 2 years ago last until a few months ago! I got them prophylactically. They have made a difference. Along with my boots. Just tired feet on this Camino. Too much asphalt.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love my Chacos but decided against taking them due to weight. I chose these instead...they have good arch support and support. I will use them for the end of the day and for showering. A little pricey but are well made and I expect them to hold up well. I tried them out this weekend in Moab and they were perfect for me.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/5581735011?tag=casaivar02-20

Update:
Three days now on the Camino & I am loving these sandals at the end of the day!

Quick update on my previous post - the Archie arch jandal is not cutting the mustard ---- since found out that Birkenstock in Australia have a lightweight jandal 167 gms (same mould as the cork traditional jandal ) EVA style
they fit like a glove - not for lots of walking but good for recovery, shower, walk to village etc

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's been helpful reading this thread on PF as I have been unsure how to best prepare for my first Camino, 18 July and Primitivo. Thanks for all the tips and its good to hear what has worked for people.

I have had PF for over a year and got some plantar orthotics, airplus, about 6 months ago which have been a great help. I wore them in all my shoes for about 6 weeks and now I am pain free and I have stopped wearing them and symptoms have not returned.

But I am wondering if it would be sensible to take a pair of these orthotics with me in case the symptoms return when I am on the Camino? I haven't bought my footwear yet as I live in a remote part of the world but will be back in UK mid June and will start getting my kit together. I think the Birkenstock Eva sandals will be perfect for me as I wear Birkenstock all the time and they suit feet well. But I think I will get light boots for walking during the day and have my Birkenstock for shower and evening time.

Does PF come and go or can you get rid of it for good? It's a fairly recent condition for me and I don't want to head off on Camino unprepared. I also have an overlapping toe on one foot and will need to get good toe spacers and boots that will be spacious enough. I have small gel ones i have worn for years but they can move around and i need something stronger that will stay in place for long distance walking.

All advice gratefully received as I have no access to podiatrists so relying a lot on the internet for information. This forum is a real blessing and i am grateful for your contributions.

It's been helpful reading this thread on PF as I have been unsure how to best prepare for my first Camino, 18 July and Primitivo. Thanks for all the tips and its good to hear what has worked for people.

I have had PF for over a year and got some plantar orthotics, airplus, about 6 months ago which have been a great help. I wore them in all my shoes for about 6 weeks and now I am pain free and I have stopped wearing them and symptoms have not returned.

But I am wondering if it would be sensible to take a pair of these orthotics with me in case the symptoms return when I am on the Camino? I haven't bought my footwear yet as I live in a remote part of the world but will be back in UK mid June and will start getting my kit together. I think the Birkenstock Eva sandals will be perfect for me as I wear Birkenstock all the time and they suit feet well. But I think I will get light boots for walking during the day and have my Birkenstock for shower and evening time.

Does PF come and go or can you get rid of it for good? It's a fairly recent condition for me and I don't want to head off on Camino unprepared. I also have an overlapping toe on one foot and will need to get good toe spacers and boots that will be spacious enough. I have small gel ones i have worn for years but they can move around and i need something stronger that will stay in place for long distance walking.

All advice gratefully received as I have no access to podiatrists so relying a lot on the internet for information. This forum is a real blessing and i am grateful for your contributions.

Hi, Zebo,
I don’t have PF, but I do need good arch support and I cannot imagine walking without my silicone orthotics in my shoes. I can’t think of any downside of wearing the orthotics.

I have tried the Birkenstock EVAs and they bear very little resemblance to the cork-soled sandals. They are fine for me to walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but I would never be able to walk all over town in them. They just don’t have the same support, not surprising since they are featherweight. I bring my Chacos, which probably weigh 5 times as much, but they are great for all post-Camino walking and for the shower as well.

Good luck with the shoe choice, I would do some serious reading here on the forum so you can decide whether boots, shoes, or trail runners would be best for you and your particular condition. If cushioning is an issue, boots and shoes will not have anywhere near as much as the trail runners will. Buen camino, I think you will love the Primitivo. Laurie

Vionic Tide II sandals (essentially an orthotic flip flop with a more sandaly look have good arch support, heel cup, and cushy but supportive shock absorption. Dr. Weil approved. I can walk 4 - 5 miles on concrete without thinking about my feet, hips, knees, back .. more mileage wearing Injinji toe socks. I add a new pair or two to my closet every year .. have 10+ pair now. Also great on cobblestones.

€46,-
Laurie, thanks for your reply and very helpful. I think i need to spend qualitytime looking at all the styles and brand's and trying them out when I go home. And also go see a podiatrist. I used to wear specially made orthotics when I was a runner but have not done so for past 12 years now.

I will look up these Chacos too. Never heard of them before. I have been doing some practice walks in an old pair of ecco sandals but yesterday I wore my old pair of hiking boots, hand me down' s from someone who left and they felt so much better for walking up and down hills. I think i will take advice as well from the St James people in London whom i plan to visit.

I looked up the Birkenstock Eva's as well and they are only narrow fittings which is too small for me. A lot of the reviews said people were disappointed when they got them as more narrow than expected.

Lots of foot decisions to make. Part of the joy as well I think

I looked up the Birkenstock Eva's as well and they are only narrow fittings which is too small for me. A lot of the reviews said people were disappointed when they got them as more narrow than expected.
@Zebo:
I have a pair of Birkenstock EVA sandals, the Madrid model, and I can guarantee you that they are not a narrow fitting. I took them with me on my pilgrimage on the VdlP and was pleased with their lightness and the comfort which they give me in the evenings. My feet are wide, so that I am compelled to wear men's sizes in shoes and boots. I bought a new pair of Timberland boots today, which somehow gets me closer to my next walk than any other action. But my sandals are still in good shape and I shall be taking them with me for town and albergue wearing again this fall. However, I would not have bought them unless I had been able to try them on first. I wish you a good walk, whatever you choose to walk in.

First, sorry about your plantar faciitis. That is a diabolical condition. I've had it in the distant past, but now suffer more from forefoot pain. I'm packing for my third camino right now. I wouldn't leave home without my Chacos as I alternate walking between them and my trainers. I super-glued a pad just below my forefoot that simulates the orthotics I have in my shoes and it works great. I suppose it depends on your feet and how they fit. I don't know that I'd take Chacos just for wandering around at the end of the day. I depend on them on the trail, though. Best of luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
First, sorry about your plantar faciitis. That is a diabolical condition. I've had it in the distant past, but now suffer more from forefoot pain. I'm packing for my third camino right now. I wouldn't leave home without my Chacos as I alternate walking between them and my trainers. I super-glued a pad just below my forefoot that simulates the orthotics I have in my shoes and it works great. I suppose it depends on your feet and how they fit. I don't know that I'd take Chacos just for wandering around at the end of the day. I depend on them on the trail, though. Best of luck!
Thanks JillGat,
I will check out these options when I get to London in 2 weeks time. When you find what works for you you can stick to the plan and that's why it's so good to hear what others have done. I am certainly a novice but I hope learning fast. Enjoy your third Camino.

@Zebo:
I have a pair of Birkenstock EVA sandals, the Madrid model, and I can guarantee you that they are not a narrow fitting. I took them with me on my pilgrimage on the VdlP and was pleased with their lightness and the comfort which they give me in the evenings. My feet are wide, so that I am compelled to wear men's sizes in shoes and boots. I bought a new pair of Timberland boots today, which somehow gets me closer to my next walk than any other action. But my sandals are still in good shape and I shall be taking them with me for town and albergue wearing again this fall. However, I would not have bought them unless I had been able to try them on first. I wish you a good walk, whatever you choose to walk in.
Thanks for your reply and I will try on EVA's when I get to shops and glad to hear they are not all narrow. I wear Madrid ordinary Birkenstock all the time so it will be interesting to see the lighter ones.

Thanks! Yes I actually have a little rubber ball that I'm taking as I find standing on that to massage my foot really helps. It sounds like the pharmacies have all the relevant things for pilgrim problems :)
Not sure if you’re stretching and massaging your calf on the problematic side but that can be a contributing factor for some people. It can cause a lack of motion in your heel putting additional stretch on the plantar fascia. 2¢

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.