• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Challenge ahead... Need encouragement

AdaR

Wannabe Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2015 biked CF; 2017 Portuguese by foot, bus, train (injury).
My flight to Lisbon leaves in 8 days. Last week I finalized my pack list and weighed in at just 14# w/o water! I was very excited and feeling so capable and ready for my Camino. And then 4 days ago I tripped walking up my own front porch and broke my wrist. I am currently sporting a full arm splint, from fingertips to armpit. Thankfully it is not my dominant hand. I have an orthopedic appointment in 3 days to get a hard cast and find out how I can manage this injury while on pilgrimage.
My emotions have been all over the place from determined to discouraged. My friend and Camino companion has agreed to help however needed in order to continue forward, but I am feeling overwhelmed trying to understand how this will be possible -- I can't even tie my own hiking shoes!
I would love to hear from others who have overcome unexpected obstacles and challenges on their camino journey.
I need encouragement that this is still possible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok, time to replan the plan a bit.
Have your pack transported and walk slow, at least at first. Give your wrist time to adjust.
Get a water bottle with an easy flip open spout. Get a bum bag so items are easy to reach in front of you. Take a bit of calm time and think about the things you can change / arrange so you can do some things yourself.
If you know anyone who sews and has time - put Velcro on things with snaps or zippers where possible and sensible.
Early to bed, bones heal as you sleep. Ask the Dr. for meds to help you as needed.
Ask your Dr. for a write up of what the injury is and what he advises, you may need to show it to a pharmacist or Dr. in Spain.

Your friend will tie your shoes. It's ok, a friend will do that.
And you will make new friends on the Way, and they will take turns tying your shoes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What a bummer. I am so sorry to read this. If there is luggage transport from Lisbon then by all means, use it. If not, perhaps consider another route that offers mochilero service. I would certainly want to make sure you pick a route that has level terrain.

Regarding shoes, Salomons are slip ons, with a system that is different than laces you tie and undo. Perhaps that can work better for you. And they are easy to break in.

So sorry to hear about your injury! If worse comes to worse and walking right away isn't advisable according to your doctors, you could hang out in Lisbon or Porto for a few days while your friend walks, then catch up to him/ her and walk the rest. Porto and Lisbon are both beautiful and well worth a few days to wander around and sit in if your doctors don't think walking the trail would be an option.

Porto does have backpack transport: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/luggage-transport-from-porto.41565/
On the Caminofacil website, scroll all the way down on the drop-down menu to find their stops on the Camino Portugues. Oporto (Porto) is one of the towns listed.

Take care and hope you heal well.
Faith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Under the same circumstances I think I would go. Anyway, I tie my boots just a couple of times a year. When I've got them comfortable I pull down tight on the knot and then when putting the boots pull on the loop crossing or uncrossing the laces on the upper hooks. After just a bit of walking the laces adjust themselves to the right tightness everywhere. There is no problem doing this one-handed.

... My friend and Camino companion has agreed to help however needed in order to continue forward,...

Does s/he have agreed or offered? That is quite an important difference! Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

SYates, she has agreed. We have had several lengthy conversations to clarify what this "new" camino would look like. Bless her soul, she sees this as just part of the camino experience! If we didn't both already have husbands, I would propose to her!
I am feeling better about this today, but I suspect I will have a few more days of doubt this week.
Good advice to have a write up from my doctor on hand, just in case. Maybe even a photo of my x-ray.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is one trip that will take your relationship to another level, and I don't mean marriage :D. Friends like that are rare and precious.

Under the same circumstances I think I would go. Anyway, I tie my boots just a couple of times a year. When I've got them comfortable I pull down tight on the knot and then when putting the boots pull on the loop crossing or uncrossing the laces on the upper hooks. After just a bit of walking the laces adjust themselves to the right tightness everywhere. There is no problem doing this one-handed.

My flight to Lisbon leaves in 8 days. Last week I finalized my pack list and weighed in at just 14# w/o water! I was very excited and feeling so capable and ready for my Camino. And then 4 days ago I tripped walking up my own front porch and broke my wrist. I am currently sporting a full arm splint, from fingertips to armpit. Thankfully it is not my dominant hand. I have an orthopedic appointment in 3 days to get a hard cast and find out how I can manage this injury while on pilgrimage.
My emotions have been all over the place from determined to discouraged. My friend and Camino companion has agreed to help however needed in order to continue forward, but I am feeling overwhelmed trying to understand how this will be possible -- I can't even tie my own hiking shoes!
I would love to hear from others who have overcome unexpected obstacles and challenges on their camino journey.
I need encouragement that this is still possible.
Two things come to mind. If you broke your wrist why a long arm cast and not a short arm cast? That can make a hugh difference and what are your expectations?

Last year I walked the French Way with 2 people who had suffered strokes that left them speech and mobility impaired. I walked with a Pilgrim who used a mechanical foot. It wore out before he finished. I walked with people who only spoke and understood aisan dialects. I walked the last 2 weeks of my Camino with left side shin splints. We all had one thing that you will have. Fellow pilgrims who are more than willing to help. Get out there a walk your Camino.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Two things come to mind. If you broke your wrist why a long arm cast and not a short arm cast? That can make a hugh difference and what are your expectations?
My initial thoughts as well. It was my hope to convince the docs to give me a short arm cast tomorrow; however, there is a reason for immobilizing the full arm due to the anatomy of the bones making up the wrist. Movement of the elbow will move both the ulna and radius bones that connect to the hand bones. My fracture is at the end of the radius where ligaments and tendons connect to the metacarpal bones in the hand. Hence movement of the fingers also impacts the fracture site. A simple fracture, with complex implications, unfortunately.

Thank you for sharing. Hearing stories of pilgrims who have overcome greater obstacles is encouraging to me. My competitive spirit (and pride) says "If they can do this, so can I!" That, along with gratitude for what I do have and how blessed I already am, will get me through this. Maybe not the camino I have imagined for almost a year, but the camino that is for me at this time.

@AdaR it is probably too late for this, but ask your doctors about the possibility of a plastic cast. They are waterproof and much lighter than a traditional cast.

@Kanga. Not too late. I have not heard of plastic casts. I will ask tomorrow about that, and a lot of other questions as well.
Thanks

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Well, I made it to Porto with a short arm cast and started my Camino 3 days ago!!!

And today I experienced such severe pain in my ankle and shin that i had to stop walking. we hitched a ride into town and found a taxi to Esposende. Looking like a case of shin splints, I'm guessing. Icing and resting.

Needless to say, I am feeling so very disappointed at this latest development. Has anyone ever questioned whether their Camino was just not meant to be?

Has anyone ever questioned whether their Camino was just not meant to be?
I prefer to consider the decision to be my own, made by considering all the circumstances! That gives me more of a sense of control, and I can change my mind any time I choose. Rarely if there a single clear "right" decision.

It's great that you made it so far, and had a taste of the Camino. (I hope there were good times.)

Be optimistic at the moment. Ice, anti-inflammatories and rest for a few days will do you good, and may work wonders. (A couple of years ago, my companion had to do this for 3 days, but then the shin splints went away and never came back.) On the other hand, if you feel in your heart that the time is not right to be walking (as I could easily understand), then go to Plan B and enjoy it.

Consider that there can simply be variations on your Camino - you can change plans and depart from expectations and still have a wonderful experience. Rest a few days and then if you decide not to continue walking the Camino, get a train or bus and enjoy some unexpected time in Porto, Santiago or other places in Spain or Portugal. Don't view it as a failure, rather as a different journey than you had originally expected.

In summer 2015 I walked the Via Francigena to Rome. One lunchtime I met a group of six Italians in a bar. Very friendly people. The next morning I bumped into the group again in another town. This time one of the women had her left arm in a cast almost from shoulder to wrist. Shortly after I'd left them she had tripped and fallen and broken the arm. She was smiling and laughing about it - saying that she walked with her legs and not her hands. She intended to carry on for the rest of the time the group had planned to walk. An impressive lady. I hope that whatever you decide to do your recovery goes well. Pax et bonum.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@AdaR yes, I do think that sometimes we are not meant to walk. Ours not to reason why, etc!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back