• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Change Money

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When you arrive. However, even better will be to buy Euros on your bank debit card when you get here. If you get about 300 Euro each time, you will minimize fees. Exchanging at the airport is the most expensive option. Changing bills or travelers cheques is nearly impossible everywhere.

I try to minimize cash usage by using a credit card with no conversion fees. In addition credit cards usually get a better exchange rate. You cannot use them at every Albergue. However, you will find some that will allow you to charge both food and accommodations. We always have enough cash should the next two or three albergues only take cash. Most of the The larger towns along the CF have ATMs. Last Camino, we only paid cash at 2 accommodations, but we stayed in in a combination of albergues, private homes, hostels, and hotels.If you use a credit card, make sure you pay in EUROS!!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are many threads on this subject. To get cash you will get the best exchange rate by using ATMs. Many of us from the US use a Charles Schwab account because they refund all ATM fees.

I try to minimize cash usage by using a credit card with no conversion fees. In addition credit cards usually get a better exchange rate. You cannot use them at every Albergue. However, you will find some that will allow you to charge both food and accommodations. We always have enough cash should the next two or three albergues only take cash. Most of the The larger towns along the CF have ATMs. Last Camino, we only paid cash at 2 accommodations, but we stayed in in a combination of albergues, private homes, hostels, and hotels.If you use a credit card, make sure you pay in EUROS!!

A quick caution for those who are unaware of the specific conditions, charges, and fees for cash withdrawals at ATMs or a bank.....
While not universal, most credit cards will treat ATM withdrawals as a 'cash advance' which incurs higher interest rate charges in addition to other fees, such as using an ATM. Also, for most cards, there are currency exchange fees. So be sure, if one decides to use a credit card, of the costs that are part of such usage.

My Schwab debit card is connected to my free Schwab checking account (which does pay me interest on monthly balances). That account was opened solely for the purpose of travel. It is linked to my regular bank accounts at a different bank for the purposes of transfering funds to my Schwab account; however, that link is encrypted and requires specific security protocols in order to be used. In other words, there is no real, practical danger of my regular account being hacked. Which I guess is not much of an issue anyway, as banks do not hold the account holder responsible for losses due to fraud and will replace funds.

The Schwab account reimburses all ATM fees, does not charge for currency conversions, and the account itself is not only free, but as I wrote above, pays a bit of interest on balances.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Strictly against THEIR rules but I make a small purchase in the UK prior to travelling using my credit card and then, when it has registered on the statement, I go online and massively overpay ie. £30 debt, put £330 into the account. That gives me a £300 credit balance. When I get to Europe I go to the ATM and withdraw €300. That still leaves me in credit. ie € is less than £ then try to use my CC as much as possible, until such time as I have spent my cash and then repeat the exercise.
In that way, I have never been charged Interest on my CC Account

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back