• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Change Of Plans: Doing The Camino in July/Aug or Aug/Sep

SoulGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
April and May 2016
Hi guys!

UPDATE:
Turned out I see how I am vey unprepared to do this right away (and maybe not such a good idea bc of my leg injury that I recovered a month ago), not to mention the amount of preparation (I didnt even buy anything).

So I am sticking to my original plan of either doing in July/Aug or Aug/Sep. If I can manage June, it would be a good start too :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to walk the camino, but after doing a little bit of reading and research I would feel safer if I had a company (or a Group).

Is anyone in Pamplona on April 15th? I am not sure if I will start from Pamplona or Logrono?

I can be flexible and I could even go on May too.

XO

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi guys!

I am going to walk the camino, but after doing a little bit of reading and research I would feel safer if I had a company (or a Group).

Is anyone in Pamplona on April 15th? I am not sure if I will start from Pamplona or Logrono?

XO
No matter where or when you start, you will meet people to walk with! Be open to conversation, greet people you meet (Buen Camino and a smile!), and help others you meet. Do these 3 things and you'll never be alone unless you want to be, and that's ok too. You are going to meet so many amazing people, enjoy your journey and keep an open heart.
If you are worried about safety, I've heard of guided trips, but I'm not sure where to direct you on this, but I'm sure someone will. Very helpful forum.
I was worried going solo my first time, but I met people immediately and never felt unsafe or lonely.
I'll be starting in SJPP August 26-October 13 if you want to walk then :)

Hi Tammy :)

Thank you so much for that...cause the more I read the threads, the more worried I became...

About your date, I will think about it - the good thing about my job (I am a tour guide too :p) is that it is super flexible and I can take off any time and any month!! :) if you want my email address - let me think more - the main thing is I already decided I will go! :) - now it is just a matter of chosing when :)

Thank you So much!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No matter where or when you start, you will meet people to walk with! Be open to conversation, greet people you meet (Buen Camino and a smile!), and help others you meet. Do these 3 things and you'll never be alone unless you want to be, and that's ok too. You are going to meet so many amazing people, enjoy your journey and keep an open heart.
If you are worried about safety, I've heard of guided trips, but I'm not sure where to direct you on this, but I'm sure someone will. Very helpful forum.
I was worried going solo my first time, but I met people immediately and never felt unsafe or lonely.
I'll be starting in SJPP August 26-October 13 if you want to walk then :)

Hi Tammy,

Initially I was planning to do July and Aug...bc I heard is very popular and nice weather..any thoughts about that? XOXO

July will typically be very hot. I have walked June 2014 and September 2013 and there were some hot days too. I liked the fall Camino personally with cool mornings/evenings. It is a hard decision, but one that you can't go wrong with. The Camino is beautiful every season in its own way. Do what works for you and your schedule and the rest will work out!

Hi Tammy :)

Thank you so much for that...cause the more I read the threads, the more worried I became...

About your date, I will think about it - the good thing about my job (I am a tour guide too :p) is that it is super flexible and I can take off any time and any month!! :) if you want my email address - let me think more - the main thing is I already decided I will go! :) - now it is just a matter of chosing when :)

Thank you So much!!
Here is my email if you want to keep in touch!

EDITED BY MODERATOR Please use the Personal Message facility (from your user-name top screen right) to exchange personal information. Stay safe out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
July will typically be very hot. I have walked June 2014 and September 2013 and there were some hot days too. I liked the fall Camino personally with cool mornings/evenings. It is a hard decision, but one that you can't go wrong with. The Camino is beautiful every season in its own way. Do what works for you and your schedule and the rest will work out!
Thank you sooo much and I will definetely have you in my mind as a companion too :)

Setting off in mid April from Pamplona, you should have no problem at all finding walking companions. Even if you don't officially attach yourself to them, you can easily walk in sight of other people and chat with them at stops. I'm not sure which threads you are reading that are causing you concern, but I think most people would agree that the Camino is as safe as your local walks and you should practice normal precautions.

Just set a date that works for you, and show up! From April to October there will be plenty of others.

Enjoy the planning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
SoulGirl, I wouldn't worry at all about being alone on the Camino. There's likely to be dozens of people walking when you are. If you're staying over the night before in Pamplona, just walk over to the albergue and say hi to whoever's there. You might not necessarily find someone to walk with every step, but you'll be introduced to loads of people who will be walking the same way as you and who you will see throughout the day (and many days after). It's very social and very safe. If you're a tour guide you already know about usual precautions to take... Relax and enjoy the Way.

Setting off in mid April from Pamplona, you should have no problem at all finding walking companions. Even if you don't officially attach yourself to them, you can easily walk in sight of other people and chat with them at stops. I'm not sure which threads you are reading that are causing you concern, but I think most people would agree that the Camino is as safe as your local walks and you should practice normal precautions.

Just set a date that works for you, and show up! From April to October there will be plenty of others.

Enjoy the planning.
I totally agree with this. I felt safer walking across N Spain than many cities in the USA!

Hi guys!

XO

SoulGirl .. You might consider joining this April/May/June 2016 list as another way to meet folks before you leave for Spain .

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/may-june-2016-peregrinos-camino-frances.36410/

Buen Camino :)
Joe

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
SoulGirl, If you are on Facebook there is a groups "Camigas" a buddy group for women doing the Camino. If you join we have a spreadsheet of women showing start times and places. You could probably catch up with a number of people starting the same time and place as you.

SoulGirl, If you are on Facebook there is a groups "Camigas" a buddy group for women doing the Camino. If you join we have a spreadsheet of women showing start times and places. You could probably catch up with a number of people starting the same time and place as you.
You guys are SO LOVELY and HELPFUL!!

I already feel the community and family in the camino...

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
SoulGirl, I wouldn't worry at all about being alone on the Camino. There's likely to be dozens of people walking when you are. If you're staying over the night before in Pamplona, just walk over to the albergue and say hi to whoever's there. You might not necessarily find someone to walk with every step, but you'll be introduced to loads of people who will be walking the same way as you and who you will see throughout the day (and many days after). It's very social and very safe. If you're a tour guide you already know about usual precautions to take... Relax and enjoy the Way.

Thank you..it is making me feel safer about it :) and I agree....I definetely will do that too :)

If you are worried about safety, I've heard of guided trips
Being alone while walking occurs even with a group. Everyone has his own pace, and it is difficult to walk in lock step with someone else for an extended time. It may be too much to expect a total stranger to have a 100% compatible pace. But good luck finding someone. The pilgrimage is safe; take a cell phone for peace of mind, and remember that the emergency number is 112. Call it if you feel threatened. You can ask for help in English.

Lots of good advice here. To be 'alone' on the Camino during the more busy months is quite hard to do I think ;)

These comments are based on walking the Frances. Not the less popular routes with fewer people.

Although I walked the Camino on my own, I had plenty of company. The days when I walked totally alone were days that I chose to, but it was rare to be out of site of others for very long.

I guess what I am saying is..........if you make the choice to actually walk 'with' others most of the time, it is very easy. You will soon find your comfortable walking pace and naturally 'hang out' with others walking the same speed or with whom you have made a connection of some sort.

I found walking the Camino was rather like walking with a 'tour group' of 300 people. I mean this in a positive way. You are not all in one big gaggle! You might be spread out over 10 kms or more. I mean you will part of a 'wave' of people who are moving along the Camino at the same time. Another wave behind, another wave in front. So you 'see' these people every day, at coffee stops, rest places, night stops. The faces become familiar. Some push on ahead, other drop behind, but there are always many familiar faces.

I wasn't counting, but over the 40 days I walked, I probably got to know 50 people really well, another 100 by name and another 100 by sight. And I'm actually not that sociable! Starting to get the picture? ;)

I'm not sure if there are any stats, but I would guess at least 50% of the people I met were walking alone. Or at least 'set out' alone. Many female Pilgrims would seem to team up with another female buddy after a while. (often sharing rooms etc) Many walked alone. I walked a few days with lone female Pilgrims. We often chatted about what it was like to walk alone and did they feel safe. None felt unsafe. Probably because their Camino 'family' was around them. Familiar faces...

I actually wrote a short piece on my Blog. 'Saving Pilgrim Susan'. (Names changed) The Pilgrims in my wave became concerned about a young lady travelling with an older man friend. He seemed rather too controlling and had a very abrupt manner.

I can tell you there were dozens of Pilgrims keeping an eye on 'Susan' :) I had chatted with them, had dinner with them.....as others had. They were fine. But it was nice that people look out for each other without intruding.... It was more like the concern of family members, just making sure Susan was OK.

And a very common conversation topic at breaks might be "have you seen 'SoulGirl' today, how is she going" ? A number of my Camino family actually communicated on Whats App. In particular there were some lone Pilgrims we had buddied up with who were 70+ or lone females, and there would often be a message asking has anyone seen Bob today, or how are Janet's blisters, where is she today? Usually someone would come back saying, we're having dinner together right now...all good....or similar.

I guess what I am saying, is that you can be alone as you want, or not alone at all. That is a wonderful element of walking the Camino.

Saving Pilgrim Susan........ (about halfway down the page.)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lots of good advice here. To be 'alone' on the Camino during the more busy months is quite hard to do I think ;)

These comments are based on walking the Frances. Not the less popular routes with fewer people.

Although I walked the Camino on my own, I had plenty of company. The days when I walked totally alone were days that I chose to, but it was rare to be out of site of others for very long.

I guess what I am saying is..........if you make the choice to actually walk 'with' others most of the time, it is very easy. You will soon find your comfortable walking pace and naturally 'hang out' with others walking the same speed or with whom you have made a connection of some sort.

I found walking the Camino was rather like walking with a 'tour group' of 300 people. I mean this in a positive way. You are not all in one big gaggle! You might be spread out over 10 kms or more. I mean you will part of a 'wave' of people who are moving along the Camino at the same time. Another wave behind, another wave in front. So you 'see' these people every day, at coffee stops, rest places, night stops. The faces become familiar. Some push on ahead, other drop behind, but there are always many familiar faces.

I wasn't counting, but over the 40 days I walked, I probably got to know 50 people really well, another 100 by name and another 100 by sight. And I'm actually not that sociable! Starting to get the picture? ;)

I'm not sure if there are any stats, but I would guess at least 50% of the people I met were walking alone. Or at least 'set out' alone. Many female Pilgrims would seem to team up with another female buddy after a while. (often sharing rooms etc) Many walked alone. I walked a few days with lone female Pilgrims. We often chatted about what it was like to walk alone and did they feel safe. None felt unsafe. Probably because their Camino 'family' was around them. Familiar faces...

I actually wrote a short piece on my Blog. 'Saving Pilgrim Susan'. (Names changed) The Pilgrims in my wave became concerned about a young lady travelling with an older man friend. He seemed rather too controlling and had a very abrupt manner.

I can tell you there were dozens of Pilgrims keeping an eye on 'Susan' :) I had chatted with them, had dinner with them.....as others had. They were fine. But it was nice that people look out for each other without intruding.... It was more like the concern of family members, just making sure Susan was OK.

And a very common conversation topic at breaks might be "have you seen 'SoulGirl' today, how is she going" ? A number of my Camino family actually communicated on Whats App. In particular there were some lone Pilgrims we had buddied up with who were 70+ or lone females, and there would often be a message asking has anyone seen Bob today, or how are Janet's blisters, where is she today? Usually someone would come back saying, we're having dinner together right now...all good....or similar.

I guess what I am saying, is that you can be alone as you want, or not alone at all. That is a wonderful element of walking the Camino.

Saving Pilgrim Susan........ (about halfway down the page.)
Thank you sooo much, I already feel I am being taken care of by all of you who are responding my messages :) I will read that blog post and yeap! I definitely want to walk with other people FOR SURE :)
Now the other concern is..OMG! Do I have time to prepare cause I will be busy for the next 6 weeks (cause I am a tour guide myself and have 3 groups going on) so I feel a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of info and thinking..OMG! I feel so unprepared..no training, having to buy the stuff here in Brazil, etc!
thank you again :)))))))))))))

Being alone while walking occurs even with a group. Everyone has his own pace, and it is difficult to walk in lock step with someone else for an extended time. It may be too much to expect a total stranger to have a 100% compatible pace. But good luck finding someone. The pilgrimage is safe; take a cell phone for peace of mind, and remember that the emergency number is 112. Call it if you feel threatened. You can ask for help in English.

Awww thank you so much all of you who are helping me!! :)
that reminds me...i will need a SIM card from Spain? If so, how do I get that? Or better to check with my phone company?

Awww thank you so much all of you who are helping me!! :)
that reminds me...i will need a SIM card from Spain? If so, how do I get that? Or better to check with my phone company?

I ordered a SIM card online. It arrived in about 7 days!

http://www.simcardspain.es/en/

Don't worry too much about time to prepare and training. If you are reasonably fit and start out slowly and shorter distances you will ease into it very well.

If you are still buying your gear, I am sure others would agree, the highest priority is your footwear! Boots, shoes, whatever your preference. And then start going for walks in them. Using the socks you plan to take. You need to make sure the footwear is right for you before arriving on the Camino!

Probably the next priority is your pack. Once you get that, start going for walks with your footwear and pack, to get used to the feel of it, how to adjust it. And gradually add a bit of weight to it.

You'll do fine. Just get out and start walking a bit! Time will fly past....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I ordered a SIM card online. It arrived in about 7 days!

http://www.simcardspain.es/en/

Don't worry too much about time to prepare and training. If you are reasonably fit and start out slowly and shorter distances you will ease into it very well.

If you are still buying your gear, I am sure others would agree, the highest priority is your footwear! Boots, shoes, whatever your preference. And then start going for walks in them. Using the socks you plan to take. You need to make sure the footwear is right for you before arriving on the Camino!

Probably the next priority is your pack. Once you get that, start going for walks with your footwear and pack, to get used to the feel of it, how to adjust it. And gradually add a bit of weight to it.

You'll do fine. Just get out and start walking a bit! Time will fly past....
Thank you soo much!! you guys are amazing and this also helped to calm me down A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!! I definetely appreciate your help and advice!! :)))))))))))))))) cause you know it can be SO overwhelming being here and reading so many threads and seeing i have SO much to catch up! now you just made it easier for me too :))))

Hi SoulGirl and welcome to the Forum!
If you start at Pamplona you'll be able to experience the wonderful Alto de Perdon - the Hill of Forgiveness - just past the village of Zariquiegui. It's a really magical place and one that'll stay with you in your memories of the Camino. It features a wrought-iron sculpture of medieval pilgrims, heads bent to the west wind. The views are spectacular. It's a hard day - a steep climb and an equally steep descent - be slow and careful as you make your way down - but it will be one of the highlights of your Camino.
Buen Camino SoulGirl and take joy in every step -
Cheers from Oz - Jenny

You will meet so many different people and make many friends on the Camino. It's very cool. No worries.
Once you get there and figure it out, it all falls into stride.
cheers

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You will meet so many different people and make many friends on the Camino. It's very cool. No worries.
Once you get there and figure it out, it all falls into stride.
cheers
Thank you ! :)

I was checking a place and notice that many people go in July. Why is July so popular??

Thank you ! :)

I was checking a place and notice that many people go in July. Why is July so popular??
I would guess because of a combination of reasons such as warmer, but drier weather and schools on summer break at that time. The old traditional vacation time bit I suppose.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In July on the Camino you meet mostly teachers and students! Holiday time ;)
thanks for that :)
I am thinking now - since I have flexibility - if it would be better to go in July / Aug :) i like the idea of hot weather, plus easier to dry the clothes haha even though most ppl dont recommend cause its too busy, for me, thats great since i am alone and would feel much safer - not to mention i will have time to train...i had no idea it would take SO much stuff to go. When i decided two days ago, i was so spontaneous that a part of me didnt realize how you need to be a little bit prepared heheh :)

Yeah, my first Camino was during those months. I thought the weather was perfect and I had no rainy days. Wore shorts and a T-shirt every day. The days are longer too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi guys!

XO
Don't mind the nickname I'm actually a nice guy. You're the closest one to my Camino, but I'll be starting at SJPDP around 7/8 April. So, I probably see you along the way. Buen Camino.

Don't mind the nickname I'm actually a nice guy. You're the closest one to my Camino, but I'll be starting at SJPDP around 7/8 April. So, I probably see you along the way. Buen Camino.
Hi Philippine! There has been a change of plans and now I will push back my dates to either July/Aug or Aug/Sep! So have a buen camino

I can't speak about the route you're taking, but I just spent 12 days walking alone from Porto to SdC and never once felt in harm's way. I never saw another pilgrim until the last 8km into SdC and anyone I saw either in towns or on main walkways either smiled or ignored me.
It's very easy to get worried about these things, especially in reading the forums. A few people on here will tell you I had a huge freak-out just before I started, but in the end, they were totally right, there is nothing to worry about. The Camino is a very safe place.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can't speak about the route you're taking, but I just spent 12 days walking alone from Porto to SdC and never once felt in harm's way. I never saw another pilgrim until the last 8km into SdC and anyone I saw either in towns or on main walkways either smiled or ignored me.
It's very easy to get worried about these things, especially in reading the forums. A few people on here will tell you I had a huge freak-out just before I started, but in the end, they were totally right, there is nothing to worry about. The Camino is a very safe place.
Thank you..so the freak out is common? hehe :) in my case I just noticed that ok, i decided to do it 4 days ago, have to shop for things (i live in a small village, so most likely i need to order stuff online), not to mention i recently had a leg injury, so then i realized that it is overwhelming and takes a LOT of preparation. I was going to do it on a wimp, buy the stuff and start...but after reading and watching some videos..OMG..I felt super unprepared in many ways..so now I decided it is better to push back the date :) but thank uyou for saying that... :) i am happy to know I wasnt alone in the huge freak out...a part of me felt like: can i really do this??

From all the blogs that I've read, videos watched and etc, you will definitely meet a lot of people along the way. Without actually doing the Camino(yet) - people on the forum can probably agree that 99% of the time that you'll be up and walking with people. It's just how your pace will be throughout the day. Perhaps you start with one group and finish with another. I'm starting my journey in SJPD on August 20/21st. I'm hoping to meet a lot of people :)

Be safe & Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thank you..so the freak out is common? hehe :) in my case I just noticed that ok, i decided to do it 4 days ago, have to shop for things (i live in a small village, so most likely i need to order stuff online), not to mention i recently had a leg injury, so then i realized that it is overwhelming and takes a LOT of preparation. I was going to do it on a wimp, buy the stuff and start...but after reading and watching some videos..OMG..I felt super unprepared in many ways..so now I decided it is better to push back the date :) but thank uyou for saying that... :) i am happy to know I wasnt alone in the huge freak out...a part of me felt like: can i really do this??
No worries. You got plenty of time to prepare. I suppose firstly your leg needs to heal up before you go as a prior injury could certainly put a damper on your Camino. Also choose your footwear wisely, as that is the one piece of gear that can make or break a Camino. Just as important is to travel as light as you can. The lighter the pack, the happier the Camino, so to speak. Since you are going during the summer, you don't need as much stuff, such as a heavy jacket or sleeping bag, etc.
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I picked July because of when we get our vacation times but didn't realize until after we made our arrangement that July 25th is St. James day which makes for special celebration in Santiago. Also, note that when July 25th lands on a Sunday as it will in 2020 it is a bigger deal.. we will do our walk from Sarria this summer July 1-15 but plan on doing the whole walk in 2020...

with your leg healing, and as mentioned above, choose proper shoes and get some long hikes in to get your feet used to it... buen camino

Chase

My wife and I picked July because of when we get our vacation times but didn't realize until after we made our arrangement that July 25th is St. James day which makes for special celebration in Santiago. Also, note that when July 25th lands on a Sunday as it will in 2020 it is a bigger deal.. we will do our walk from Sarria this summer July 1-15 but plan on doing the whole walk in 2020...

Chase

2021 will be the next Holy Year in Santiago de Compostela with July 25 occurring on a Sunday. Reserve now! In 2020 July 25 falls on a Saturday.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi
I am walking Porto to SDC on June 14 or 15
Wondering if there are other women going at this time?
Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi guys!

UPDATE:
Turned out I see how I am vey unprepared to do this right away (and maybe not such a good idea bc of my leg injury that I recovered a month ago), not to mention the amount of preparation (I didnt even buy anything).

So I am sticking to my original plan of either doing in July/Aug or Aug/Sep. If I can manage June, it would be a good start too :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna walk in march or April from sjpdp the whole 870 km. was gonna do in summer but was but wasn't sure about the summer heat..

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back