• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

change of plans, Paris to St. Jean, Frances again

Jim McMurtrie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April-May 2018
Frances September-October 2019
After researching the Portugese we have decided to do the Frances again, but this time flying into Paris and then to SJPdP. Need some suggestions on getting from Paris,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Spend the night (or even better, 3!) in Paris, then take the TGV from Montparnasse station in central Paris to Bayonne. Its about a 3 hour trip. Change over to the pilgrim train to St. Jean in Bayonne, there are several per day, but check the schedule. That trip is under an hour. Buy train tickets on trainline.eu. You can't get them until 90 days ahead of time. The only tricky part here is getting from the airport to Montparnasse, which can be done by train (trickiest - RER-B), bus, or taxi.

Buen Camino

Spend the night (or even better, 3!) in Paris, then take the TGV from Montparnasse station in central Paris to Bayonne. Its about a 3 hour trip. Change over to the pilgrim train to St. Jean in Bayonne, there are several per day, but check the schedule. That trip is under an hour. Buy train tickets on trainline.eu. You can't get them until 90 days ahead of time. The only tricky part here is getting from the airport to Montparnasse, which can be done by train (trickiest - RER-B), bus, or taxi.

Buen Camino
Last time I took the train from the airport, not knowing that that train trip took much longer than the one from Montparnasse. I’ll be taking your advice this time around. I was wondering how to get to Montparnasse from the airport. If I spend the night somewhere near there the issue becomes a bit easier.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have tried two different ways:

1. TGV from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and Express Bouricott from there.
  2. Cheap flight from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Biarritz and and Express Bouricott from there.
I think I preferred the TGV as door to door it's faster, and also it's nice to have a view......

I did the flight this year only because of the train strike, but that worked fine too.

Whatever you do, stay at least 1 night in Paris!

Last time I took the train from the airport, not knowing that that train trip took much longer than the one from Montparnasse. I’ll be taking your advice this time around. I was wondering how to get to Montparnasse from the airport. If I spend the night somewhere near there the issue becomes a bit easier.

There is a 'Bus Direct' from Charles de Gaulle to Gare Montparnasse @tomnorth
I then stay in a Hotel close to the Gare.
And that's only a short walk from the Louvre, the Seine etc . Maybe 3 kms.

It IS a bit tricky, but its how a local would do it. In CDG, follow the signs that say "Paris By Train" . Its a bit of a walk from terminals 2E and 2F, which is likely where you are coming from. Go down the escalator. Buy a ticket for the RER from a machine. It was 10 euro last time I did it. Find the RER-B platform, and get on the next train. You may need to ask someone where to stand, as its confusing for some. I would get off at station Port Royale, after about 40 minutes, and walk west on Montparnasse blvd. Its not even a kilometer to the station from there. There are hotels of all shapes and sizes near the station. I expect a google search will find better instructions than these..........

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It IS a bit tricky, but its how a local would do it. In CDG, follow the signs that say "Paris By Train" . Its a bit of a walk from terminals 2E and 2F, which is likely where you are coming from. Go down the escalator. Buy a ticket for the RER from a machine. It was 10 euro last time I did it. Find the RER-B platform, and get on the next train. You may need to ask someone where to stand, as its confusing for some. I would get off at station Port Royale, after about 40 minutes, and walk west on Montparnasse blvd. Its not even a kilometer to the station from there. There are hotels of all shapes and sizes near the station. I expect a google search will find better instructions than these..........
Fabulous! Thanks. I have had some experience on the Metro in Paris, so I’m hopeful I can figure it out. I already searched out hotels on Booking.com and found quite a few nearby Gare Montparnasse.

Le Bus Direct isn't tricky at all. It will take you from CDG to Gare Montparnass. I prefer this now to dealing with the RER when tired from a long trip.

Le Bus Direct isn't tricky at all. It will take you from CDG to Gare Montparnass. I prefer this now to dealing with the RER when tired from a long trip.

Although..........this year it was a real 'bun fight' trying to get onto the bus. We waited ages as they were filling up so quickly.

Hanging around near Gare Montparnasse you can play 'spot the Pilgrim' :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fly. Easyjey has dirt cheap flights that take about a hour and a half tops. in 2017 I took the train south and it was a huge pain. This year we flew down and it was a fantastic decision.

I am at my vacation home in north west France and lots of us here are frankly done with the trains till things improve. Between the rail strikes, the lack of maint, constant delays and cost compared to local flights, we are tending to use the airlines. Breaks my heart, I love the rail systems in the EU, it is part of the reason we started staying here for months at a time.

Hi Jim
Last May we flew to from Paris to Biarritz then bus to Bayonne then another bus to St.John. The previous year I left Barcelona to Pamplona by train then by bus to St. John. Out of the two I prefer th start the journey from Barcelona. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After researching the Portugese we have decided to do the Frances again, but this time flying into Paris and then to SJPdP. Need some suggestions on getting from Paris,

Take. LeBus ( yes that’s the name) from CDG TO mount Parnesse train station. Easy to get bus at CDG.

Take. LeBus ( yes that’s the name) from CDG TO mount Parnesse train station. Easy to get bus at CDG.
High speed train to Bayonne, then regional train to SJPDP. WATCH your connection time. Get the earliest high speed train in Paris so you don’t get to Bayonne then RER TO SJPDP.

High speed train to Bayonne, then regional train to SJPDP. WATCH your connection time. Get the earliest high speed train in Paris so you don’t get to Bayonne then RER TO SJPDP.
too late to eat and rest.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen Camino
Make that 6 hours

Where does the bus pick up?

Hi @tomnorth . The bus leaves from the Airport Terminal downstairs.
Though it was bit confusing at our terminal. There are 3 or 4 different routes and bus your ticket from the machine.

Then as each bus arrives there is a rush of people throwing their bags in the storage under the bus before scrambling to get on....... and all the while you are trying to figure out if this is your Bus :)
But it works fine.

all the details and pickup locations are on here in English.
https://www.lebusdirect.com/en/lines-and-schedules/cdg-airport-paris-gare-montparnasse-line.html

I would certainly use it again (have twice now)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back