• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Change of Plans - VDLP March/April 2020

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
After a lot of talking, looking at stages, blah blah-ing, Joe and I have decided to pick up where HE left off on the VDLP in 2013.
I have walked the Frances so many times, I just didn't want to do it again in my free time.
I want to finish the VDLP which I began 6 years ago.

We will train to Seville, then nab a bus to Fuente de Cantos. I have walked as far as Caceres, so will enjoy walking those stages again that I've walked before, but will be VERY happy to finally finish this route (hopefully).

We have booked rest days in Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, and will hopefully find albergues on the other days. I'm hoping it won't be too busy during March and I'm hoping the weather will be cooperative.

My only worry is that danged stage via Caparra.
Otherwise, We hope to arrive in Astorga by April 7, as we have lodgings booked in Segovia for the weekend of April 11,12.

Any advice from folks who have walked in March/April or lately will be appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My only worry is that danged stage via Caparra.

If you have time, IMO the absolute best way to do this stage, which requires no cars or pick-ups, is to follow Isabelle’s map from years ago. I will say that the 38 km is not too bad, really, there isn’t a lot of elevation gain. But I know that many run when they hear that number.

The first part is post number 8 on this thread. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/galisteo-arco-de-caparra.7625/#post-45550

It works the following way — Spend the night in Carcaboso. Walk the next day to the arch at Caparra, which will get you there at a time when the visitors center is open and you can enjoy the site, whose excavations are expanding. Then from there to Plasencia de Oliva is a short few kms past bull farms, off road if I remember correctly. Stay in the albergue turístico or casa rural there (you should reserve). Then the next day, walk back through the arch (no problem that everything is closed since you saw it all the day before) and on to Aldeanueva.

Gronze shows the detour to Oliva, but I would take the westernmost dotted line both ways, because the way from Venta Quemada to Oliva is on the side of the road. And because the site at Caparra is well worth a visit.

This adds up to these totals.
Carcaboso to Oliva de Plasencia — 25 km
Oliva de Plasencia to Aldeanueva — 26

The other option is to walk to Hostal Asturias. There is a sign indicating where you should turn off, and it is about 2.5 km to the hostal. I know that some people have the hostal come pick them up at the Arch, but there have been complaints about having to wait a long time (inevitable no doubt, in the life of a busy hostal owner), and if you start in Carcaboso it’s only 18 to the arch.

Every time I post about this, I wonder where Isabelle has gone. Her map was a huge help to me, and I keep hoping she will show up again. Buen camino, Laurie

If you have time, IMO the absolute best way to do this stage, which requires no cars or pick-ups, is to follow Isabelle’s map from years ago. It is post number 8 on this thread. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/galisteo-arco-de-caparra.7625/#post-45550

It works the following way — Spend the night in Carcaboso. Walk the next way to the arch at Caparra, which will get you there at a time when the visitors center is open and you can enjoy the site, whose excavations are expanding. Then from there to Plasencia de Oliva is a short few kms past bull farms, off road if I remember correctly. Stay in the albergue turístico or casa rural there (you should reserve). Then the next day, walk back through the arch (no problem that everything is closed since you saw it all the day before) and on to Aldeanueva.

Gronze shows the detour to Oliva, but I would take the westernmost dotted line both ways, because the way from Venta Quemada to Oliva is on the side of the road.

This adds up to these totals.
Carcaboso to Oliva de Plasencia — 25 km
Oliva de Plasencia to Aldeanueva — 26

The other option is to walk to Hostal Asturias. There is a sign indicating where you should turn off, and it is about 2.5 km to the hostal. I know that some people have the hostal come pick them up at the Arch, but there have been complaints about having to wait a long time (inevitable no doubt, in the life of a busy hostal owner), and if you start in Carcaboso it’s only 18 to the arch.

Every time I post about this, I wonder where Isabelle has gone. Her map was a huge help to me, and I keep hoping she will show up again. Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you so much! I'm going to cut/paste these instructions.
I have that map in my files from the last time I walked.
I'm very excited!
We will spend 4 days of Holy Week in Segovia. Should be a wonderful time!
Now I need to try to get a train ticket from Astorga to Segovia and they won't let me book yet.
Then my trip is planned, we've bought tickets, and barring problems, we're going to finally finish this walk!
Hooray!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed in Olivia de Plasencia, but when I arrived at the main road going there a group was waiting for a pick up, so I joined them. The result of that was missing the opening hour of the Caparra, so the next morning it was closed when I walked past, but a lot to see anyway. The owner of the albergue in Plasencia was eager to book a room for us at Hostal Montesol, in the next stop, Aldenueva del Camino, 18.5 km away, and I never regret that because the albergue was pretty basic due to what people said.

I stayed in Olivia de Plasencia, but when I arrived at the main road going there a group was waiting for a pick up, so I joined them. The result of that was missing the opening hour of the Caparra, so the next morning it was closed when I walked past, but a lot to see anyway. The owner of the albergue in Plasencia was eager to book a room for us at Hostal Montesol, in the next stop, Aldenueva del Camino, 18.5 km away, and I never regret that because the albergue was pretty basic due to what people said.
You are right about the municipal albergue in Aldeanueva, @ranthr but when I walked the Mozárabe last year I stayed in a nice private albergue in Aldeanueva. I think it was kind of newly opened. http://www.lacasademiabuela-albergue.com/?m=1

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back