• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Change to mask mandate on public transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
El Gobierno aprobará el 7 de febrero el fin de las mascarillas en el transporte público - http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...ransporte-publico/00031674735134859152716.htm

It appears a decision is upcoming about discontinuing masking requirements on public transportation in early February.
Yes, this will be approved on the 7th of February. It is no longer required to wear masks on public transport from that date, but it is recommended.

I think it is still required by law to wear a mask in pharmacies and hospitals.

Here in Portugal lots of people are still masking. Based on the bug I have dealt with for the past few weeks, I would recommend a mask because about half of the people I deal with daily have had some sort of ailment since before Christmas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here in Portugal lots of people are still masking. Based on the bug I have dealt with for the past few weeks, I would recommend a mask because about half of the people I deal with daily have had some sort of ailment since before Christmas.
Can confirm, for central Portugal. We just returned to Canada after 3 months there. Not much Covid, but a lot of respiratory illnesses generally. The members of our household all got very bad colds, or similar, that lasted about 10 days but have left us with lingering coughs a month later. Neighbours confirmed that this seemed to be true all over the country (many travelled to family elsewhere over Christmas).

Masking is not required on public transit, but is common, particularly among seniors, on the buses. Not often seen in stores.

We just returned to Canada after 3 months there. Not much Covid, but a lot of respiratory illnesses generally. The members of our household all got very bad colds, or similar, that lasted about 10 days but have left us with lingering coughs a month later.
Did you all take an Antigen or PCR test to know for certain that you did not have covid? Just curious as symptoms seem to often mimic each other.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not so clear. These mandates are about risk reduction, not risk elimination.
Sorry - I sometimes forget which forum I’m on.

Same people in a plane for three hours unmasked, same people in a bus for ten minutes masked, same people plus the contents of dozens of other flights queue for immigration unmasked.

When all else fails, fall back on Sesame Street: ‘one of these things is not like the others’

Anyway: I followed the rules before, and I’ll do so in future.

I am starting to see examples of people who have a common cold (or at least testing negative for covid) wearing a mask to moderate the spread of their infection. I think that’s a welcome development; although it’s been common practice in the far east for years.

“Pointless” or not, when you are a guest in another country, you play by the rules there. Know what those rules are b4 you go and avoid any embarrassment. As an ex-pat gringo in México I saw a lot of national and international turistas in my town during the pandemic who didn’t know or didn’t care about the policies in place. Most responded well to a polite reminder/reprimand, while others, well, let’s just say they copped an attitude.

when you are a guest in another country, you play by the rules there. Know what those rules are b4 you go and avoid any embarrassment.
Amen!
It's also a simple matter of showing respect for other cultures and their ways of doing things.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Did you all take an Antigen or PCR test to know for certain that you did not have covid? Just curious as symptoms seem to often mimic each other.
I have been vaxxed for Covid 4 times and took the US flu shot last autumn and suffered through Covid for 10 days last year after all of that. The bug I am suffering from is nothing like Covid, it is mainly intestinal.

Same people in a plane for three hours unmasked, same people in a bus for ten minutes masked, same people plus the contents of dozens of other flights queue for immigration unmasked.

When all else fails, fall back on Sesame Street: ‘one of these things is not like the others’
In a way - exactly. When on my Camino, 4 of us Pilgrims stopped at Decathlon on the outskirts of Burgos. We then inquired as to how far to get to the Center and were told that there is a free bus going from this Shopping Center to the center city.
We went to the stop and for close to 30 minutes were surrounded by and happily conversed with many others (mostly locals) who was waiting for the said bus. In cases of those who was sitting on the bench the distances between us were dismal... may be a foot (so like 30cm?).... all unmasked....
And then the bus came up and everyone put the masks on.....
:rolleyes: Y!!!!

Now. I am also one of the folks who follows the rules and I dont argue "the rule is the rule" thingy... I am merely pointing out (just like @henrythedog ) that sometimes things are just... work out silly if you look at them from the side.

If the face mask is optional - then by all means it is up to a given particular individual whether to wear it or not based on their beliefs, situations, etc. There is absolutely NOTHING wring with that!

Agreed. If wearing a mask isn’t mandated on the street, in a grocery or department store, etc., then the choice is yours. Do what your comfortable doing. A sign saying “cubrebocas obligatorio” tells me what I have to do🤙🏽

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I am starting to see examples of people who have a common cold (or at least testing negative for covid) wearing a mask to moderate the spread of their infection. I think that’s a welcome development; although it’s been common practice in the far east for years.
I agree. (Regarding wearing masks when you have colds, if you have to circulate.) Way better than sniffing and dripping and making others' lives more fraught.

Yes, indeed. I had many spells teaching in Korea over the years and masking to reduce colds or other respiratory illnesses was usual practice - for my students and for me. It never seemed particularly onerous and it was a way we showed concern for the good of others.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back