• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Change to post reediting rules?

Ungawawa

Time of past OR future Camino
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
I used to be able to go back and edit my posts from earlier, but now I see it's not letting me any more. Is this a change in policy?

I'd like to put the case for allowing this to happen...

For posts which are things like people collecting information, such as my list of Spanish ATM fees (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...list-of-cash-machine-atm-fees-in-spain.60486/), it's really useful to keep all the information in just one post in the thread. When new information trickles in you can then go back and add to the collected information, all in one place, without having to recopy it or have it spread out throughout a multi-page thread.

Could Ivar comment on this?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The edit function is still present on my posts, but from memory there is a time limit on Private Messages/Conversations. After that, you are unable to edit the content.

The edit function is still present on my posts, but from memory there is a time limit on Private Messages/Conversations. After that, you are unable to edit the content.
Hi Doug,

It's changed recently, and the edit option is now only around for one week on thread posts.

For me this is a big inconvenience as it breaks the way we've been doing certain discussions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @H Richards,

the change was made because some members were re-editing quite historic posts and significantly changing content & context.

You have two possible solutions: Copy & paste your previous data into a new post in the thread and enter your up-dates. Or, the solution we would encourage, create your list as a Resource in the resources section ie. as a Word document. Resources can be re-edited at any time.

Anytime you do update the resource you can post notice in the original thread.

Thanks for your efforts in providing this useful information.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's a shame that such a drastic step needed to be taken, just for one incident in the long lifespan of this forum.

For me, the knowledge that I can go back and add to a past review I posted is a not insignificant factor in motivating me to write it in the first place. If I have to get it all right the first time round it changes things. And removing the ability to delete your own past posts has privacy implications for people who may wish to not be known by their past mistakes.

I hope once the furore has died down, Ivar will reconsider this policy, as it seems to me to have a negative effect on how the forum will run as a whole.

Hi @H Richards,

the change was made because some members were re-editing quite historic posts and significantly changing content & context.

You have two possible solutions: Copy & paste your previous data into a new post in the thread and enter your up-dates. Or, the solution we would encourage, create your list as a Resource in the resources section ie. as a Word document. Resources can be re-edited at any time.

Anytime you do update the resource you can post notice in the original thread.

Thanks for your efforts in providing this useful information.
You can't? :eek:
Nope, they got rid of that too. You have one week to delete any post you're not 100% happy with before it gets set in stone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh. Well...we will have to be more careful and conscious, is all. Which is actually not such a bad thing when you think about it. What content do we want out there?

One thought, as a work-around, would be to report the post - requesting as the author that it be removed, and why you want to do that.

Admins, is it possible to mark individual threads as editable / not-editable? It would seem there are good cases for doing this sometimes and not other times.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've just run a test on stuff I posted in January and can delete it without a problem. Maybe a Mod perk, I wouldn't know, I just press the buttons. As @VNwalking suggests a request to a Mod or a Report on a post will get our attention.

Posting a resource is still the best solution when we're dealing with useful information that may change over time. Otherwise someone using the Search function might find out-of-date information.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've just run a test on stuff I posted in January and can delete it without a problem. Maybe a Mod perk, I wouldn't know, I just press the buttons. As @VNwalking suggests a request to a Mod or a Report on a post will get our attention.

Posting a resource is still the best solution when we're dealing with useful information that may change over time. Otherwise someone using the Search function might find out-of-date information.
Thanks Tincatinker, I can work around things with the resources, as you say. It's not a huge issue. However not being able to go back and delete or clean up your own old posts I do have a problem with. Hasn't everyone written things in the past that upon sober reflection they think would have been better left unsaid? !

On a more philosophical note, why does it have to be the way of the world that when a tiny percentage of people abuse a privilege, everyone else has to have theirs taken away?

However not being able to go back and delete your own old posts I do have a problem with. Hasn't everyone written things in the past that upon sober reflection they think would have been better left unsaid? !
Part of the issue is that once they are posted on the forum your words become part of a much wider conversation. They do not stand in isolation. People read them and then reply. Conversations start with a seed - the original post - and can then branch out in all directions. If someone comes along later and deletes the original post then much of what follows can become incoherent and meaningless.

Part of the issue is that once they are posted on the forum your words become part of a much wider conversation. They do not stand in isolation. People read them and then reply. Conversations start with a seed - the original post - and can then branch out in all directions. If someone comes along later and deletes the original post then much of what follows can become incoherent and meaningless.
Yes, I see what you mean. Hmmm...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I understand that letting people edit their past posts may result in changes that don't represent the truth, but the same can equally be said for preventing people from doing this. eg. If I write a negative review of something and a year later it changes ownership, I could go back and re-edit the original and note that new people are in charge now and this no longer applies. If you forbid editing, the correction gets appended several pages later where no one will read it in the original context.

Swings and roundabouts!

On a more philosophical note, why does it have to be the way of the world that when a tiny percentage of people abuse a privilege, everyone else has to have theirs taken away?
Well, the commonest parental response fits: "because." 🙃
I can relate, but suspect it's the only practical way of civilizing us all, given the complexity of human foibles. Otherwise it would be endless 'fighting of fires.'

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Being a Type A personality Leo, I often speak... then think.
So this rule is probably good for me.
It forces me to (when I can) stop and think before I post some angry tirade or ::😆::whatever.
I may be one of those people who has gone back and deleted a post - I know I have, in the past, posted things then changed my mind. This is better. It will also force me to face my dark side and apologize, or admit I was wrong, in the alternative universe where that is a reality on occasion. 🥴 🤣

People could easily reply to their own earlier post and update it with their current thoughts. This would also have the benefit to them of the new post being spotted as opposed to an ancient one that people are not watching being changed being overlooked.
Good point.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good to know. Thanks, all.
Lol.... Maybe now we'll all be extra-careful about spelling things correctly, because after a week our carelessness (or ignorance) is set in stone and in full display. 🤓 🤣
I DO have fat fingers! Sometimes I do not notice my typo until way later when someone "likes" an old post of mine. 😄

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would like to suggest that anyone who wants to edit an old post contact a mod with the edited material, we can then add an "Edited by author" to the post with any new information and this action will not affect the original flow of the thread but will include the up to date information.
Just an idea.

I would like to suggest that anyone who wants to edit an old post contact a mod with the edited material, we can then add an "Edited by author" to the post with any new information and this action will not affect the original flow of the thread but will include the up to date information.
Just an idea.
That would be good, rather than 'Edited by moderator ' which could imply a post had been disapproved. Like your suggestion☺

I think a week should be long enough to figure out our own mistakes. 😅
I've just discovered moderators can read our 'deleted' content...nothing is truly gone in cyber space! The way I look at it is we can't edit text messages after they've been sent...& how many of us would like to do that?! 😄 ...so I regard posts here the same way & try to get it right the first time.
Of course we all set different standards for ourselves but like @VNwalking, I'm a tad abashed when I see my own spelling mistakes (I blame the aforementioned texting for this... 😇 ) or poor grammar (um...clutching for an excuse...um..) so the ability to rectify these simple errors is handy. Otherwise as @Anniesantiago said, live & learn! 🤗
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Ah, we are all human and we all change over time.
I sometimes come across one of my old, old, posts and I think "goodness, did I really say that? How naive/foolish/boorish/wrong I was!".
One of the joys of being an old woman (as I am) is that I am not too concerned with my image. I know that my spelling is horrible. And grammar is often off, particularly confusions with plurals. And my fingers are fat. And automatic spellcheck is quite funny. We all know that albergues are really allergies.

That would be good, rather than 'Edited by moderator ' which could imply a post had been disapproved. Like your suggestion☺
I would take the view that any moderator intervention should be tagged as 'Edited by moderator'. What could be added is something like 'at member's request'. That would make it plain that this wasn't done to ensure that a post complied with the forum rules.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A week works for me, I can't remember what I posted yesterday let alone remembering what I posted over a week ago ;)

Anyway, if the mods can change any incorrect post for me, I'm fine with that too.

Dear all,

Yes, I did change this about a week ago or so... we had a member that started deleting a lot of older posts making older thread unreadable.. so I set a limit to 7 days, we can make it 1 month if this is better for people.. but my thinking was that after a week, most users do not come back and read old posts they have posted themselves and starts editing. But I might be wrong.

If there are anything related to privacy that you need to have removed in an old posts, please get in touch with me or a mod and we will of course help with this.

All the best from Santiago,
Ivar

The longer time would be good if possible. Sometimes a post does need tweaking after a couple of weeks. Changes to a link might be needed to avoid a 'page not found' . If longer than a month then the 'changed at authors request' would be good as @wayfarer suggested, just to show that the post had not infringed any rules.
It is a pity that some-ones action has even made this necessary....
Thanks as ever @ivar and moderators for your hard work behind the scenes. :)

The forum is like the rest of the Internet. Bad information will live forever with no ability to correct it. A very shortsighted policy change. All they had to do was to put in place some type of alert function when someone was editing a post (i.e. when you edit a post you have to say why you were editing it and that fact is reflected in the post - show the edit's as changes). Pretty simple IT functionality but it does require some work and thought to engineer. I would think that it is important the all information on this forum be as accurate as possible. People do searches and pull up information that is either out of date or flat out wrong. I know that's a risk of any forum, but removing the ability to go back and correct past mistakes is at best shortsighted.

The forum is like the rest of the Internet. Bad information will live forever with no ability to correct it. A very shortsighted policy change.
I've deleted many of my messages, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 2 days, sometimes much later. Mostly because I considered them redundant in the first place or past their sell date at a later point in time. It's obvious that people very rarely read a thread that is several months or years or decades old in its entirety. They react to the first or last message in a thread.

The forum is like the rest of the Internet. Bad information will live forever with no ability to correct it. A very shortsighted policy change. All they had to do was to put in place some type of alert function when someone was editing a post (i.e. when you edit a post you have to say why you were editing it and that fact is reflected in the post - show the edit's as changes). Pretty simple IT functionality but it does require some work and thought to engineer. I would think that it is important the all information on this forum be as accurate as possible. People do searches and pull up information that is either out of date or flat out wrong. I know that's a risk of any forum, but removing the ability to go back and correct past mistakes is at best shortsighted.
Forum software comes as a package and has limited ability to cater for every individuals needs even some think it should, so the administrator and mods have to operate within those software limitations. In view of the fact that mass deletions of threads and posts can take us several days to undo I think that this change is not a big deal and as stated above can be sorted.

I'm with you 100% here, John. To be clear, I'm not really talking about spotting old spelling mistakes and correcting them. I'm talking about posting something which I later reread and think was boorish or misinformed and probably just reflected the fact I was having a bad day!

If you're going to remove the ability we all had to make such corrections retroactively, it will change the way in which some people - not everyone, but some - engage with the forum. I'd suggest this is actually a change for the worse.

Forum software comes as a package and has limited ability to cater for every individuals needs even some think it should, so the administrator and mods have to operate within those software limitations. In view of the fact that mass deletions of threads and posts can take us several days to undo I think that this change is not a big deal and as stated above can be sorted.
This unfortunately will now be balanced out by a new rash of people pestering the mods to make edits and delete posts for them, so I'm not sure this is a net win in that respect!

Dear all,

Yes, I did change this about a week ago or so... we had a member that started deleting a lot of older posts making older thread unreadable.. so I set a limit to 7 days, we can make it 1 month if this is better for people.. but my thinking was that after a week, most users do not come back and read old posts they have posted themselves and starts editing. But I might be wrong.
Thanks Ivar. A month is hugely preferable to a week in my opinion!

This unfortunately will now be balanced out by a new rash of people pestering the mods to make edits and delete posts for them, so I'm not sure this is a net win in that respect!
Believe me a few PM's from members for adding content or editing a post would be preferable to spending a weekend sorting a mass deletion. It would be a net win for me anyway.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
... Or, the solution we would encourage, create your list as a Resource in the resources section ie. as a Word document. ...
The last I remember (approx. a month ago) it wasn't possible to post .docx files even in PMs but .pdf worked fine.

I don’t think that a prolonged editing period would do much towards mitigating the problem of possible incorrect information. It seems you presume that everybody would go back and edit posts if they later realize that they posted something that was incorrect. I think that would be the minority. As always, it is up to the individual to assess the validity of information on a public media/forum.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm just thinking that maybe the member that deleted old posts might have had a valid reason to do so.

For example, and these are just off the top of my head, maybe they have applied for a job where the potential employer does a deep dive into their past activities, or perhaps that person is trying to remove, for whatever reason traces of their past travels (spouse legal reasons perhaps), of is on the run from the mafia, aliens or whatever. Maybe someone has passed on and the next of kin is tidying up? You can probably think of better reasons I'm sure. Defamation legal action?

I'm wondering if there was a good reason to remove old posts whether Ivan can give that person, and that person only, permission to edit old posts?

I'd like a month - plenty of time to tidy up typos and grammar.

In the meantime stay safe and behave yourselves for once eh? :)

Graham

I'm just thinking that maybe the member that deleted old posts might have had a valid reason to do so.

For example, and these are just off the top of my head, maybe they have applied for a job where the potential employer does a deep dive into their past activities, or perhaps that person is trying to remove, for whatever reason traces of their past travels (spouse legal reasons perhaps), of is on the run from the mafia, aliens or whatever. Maybe someone has passed on and the next of kin is tidying up? You can probably think of better reasons I'm sure. Defamation legal action?

I'm wondering if there was a good reason to remove old posts whether Ivan can give that person, and that person only, permission to edit old posts?

I'd like a month - plenty of time to tidy up typos and grammar.

In the meantime stay safe and behave yourselves for once eh? :)

Graham
If this is the case, get in touch with me or a mod and we will of course delete the posts..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think that the key thing is that, when there is a need to edit/delete an old post, all one has to do is contact a moderator. That's been said a few times in this thread. This may cause extra work for the moderators. As it stands, they are ready to take it on. If it becomes too much, I'm sure they will look for other solutions. If it doesn't become too much, then the system is working - no harm to anyone.

Personally, I tend to do most of my edits within minutes (or at most a day or two) of posting. There have been rare occasions when I wanted to edit an older post. I don't think it is too hard, in those cases, to flag the post to an moderator and request the edit. Still much better than Twitter which is littered with the typos I've had no opportunity to correct.

I make a significant proportion of my postings on the forum when I am on camino and wish to inform other members of changes or mistakes in information about the route or accommodations, for the sake of those who are about to come after me. When the price of a room has been raised significantly from what is in a recent post, or the name of a hotel in town is wrong on a thread (both changes/errors were present on forum threads which I consulted when I was walking the Invierno last fall) I want to let other pilgrims know. It is regrettable that information important to later pilgrims cannot easily be revised later on original posts, as this may lead to others, like myself, wandering around town looking for a hotel which does not exist. As it was, I eventually found the hotel, under a different name, and the original poster revised his thread about accommodations, which I otherwise found very useful. Such a revision after the fact is regrettably no longer easily possible.

Such a revision after the fact is regrettably no longer easily possible.
Surely such changes to factual information could be dealt with by new posts advising forum members of the current circumstances such as names and prices. I don't see the changes that have been made limiting in any way our ability to share current information where that has changed from previous posts.

I would like to say that it is clear when posts have significantly aged and one might want to test the validity of the information content that could have changed over time. However, there are many examples where it has been clear not everyone pays attention to this, including the recent case of a nine-year thread being resurrected. So I not so sure about that any more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Surely such changes to factual information could be dealt with by new posts advising forum members of the current circumstances such as names and prices. I don't see the changes that have been made limiting in any way our ability to share current information where that has changed from previous posts.
That assumes that they enter the post at the end of it, where the most recent posts are located. That's often not the case. If you search for a topic, or arrive via Google you may land on a totally different page. Many people won't be bothered to flick ahead and read all the subsequent posts, just to find out if there's been any revisions or corrections posted later.

I quite agree with @Albertagirl here. The changes do significantly affect the users' ability to keep updated information together with where it was originally posted. And many people won't be bothered to trouble a mod, to get their minor revisions done out of politeness - they'll just post to the end, leading to the disconnect we're talking about.

Last edited:
The changes do significantly affect the users' ability to keep updated information together with where it was originally posted.
While there is truth in this statement, the forum (nor any forum) is not designed for this purpose. It is designed and intended as a serious of conversations. Members need to be aware of these limitations, just as they need to know that the validity of any post is not guaranteed in any way. These are conversations among strangers, with virtually no management of content! We all need to understand this.

There should be no expectation that old posts are updated. That is not the normal practice on a forum, except perhaps if the forum management decides to do so for a few "sticky" posts . Neither is there any quality assurance of the original posts, although the volunteer moderators will keep an eye for obvious problem posts in terms of the forum rules.

We have had the debate whether old posts should be totally closed or not. The decision was made to keep those threads open, although there are arguments for closing them. This could be reviewed in the future. Members need to learn to observe the dates on posts if they are taking significant information from them.

The resources section is available for updateable files, if members are kind enough to provide them.

Like any communication or human activity, there are arguments for and against almost any decision. In this case, I think the decision to allow editing for 1 week only is a sensible one, but I would have happily accepted one of several other sensible decisions.

I make a significant proportion of my postings on the forum when I am on camino and wish to inform other members of changes or mistakes in information about the route or accommodations, for the sake of those who are about to come after me. When the price of a room has been raised significantly from what is in a recent post, or the name of a hotel in town is wrong on a thread (both changes/errors were present on forum threads which I consulted when I was walking the Invierno last fall) I want to let other pilgrims know. It is regrettable that information important to later pilgrims cannot easily be revised later on original posts, as this may lead to others, like myself, wandering around town looking for a hotel which does not exist. As it was, I eventually found the hotel, under a different name, and the original poster revised his thread about accommodations, which I otherwise found very useful. Such a revision after the fact is regrettably no longer easily possible.
It seems to me that it is only no longer easily possible only if one assumes unresponsive moderators. That's an assumption I'm not ready to leap to just yet. In the new system, your response is the same - you see an error and you post a correction in the thread which the original poster may notice. The only difference is what happens after that.

In the old system, the original poster makes the edit directly in the "edit" text box, accessible by one click using the "edit" button. In the new system, the original poster clicks the "Report" button and describes the edit they'd like to make in the text box that then appears. It seems like an extra 30 to 60 seconds of effort to me, not some huge barrier. Perhaps I am missing something?

€46,-
It seems to me that it is only no longer easily possible only if one assumes unresponsive moderators. That's an assumption I'm not ready to leap to just yet. In the new system, your response is the same - you see an error and you post a correction in the thread which the original poster may notice. The only difference is what happens after that.

In the old system, the original poster makes the edit directly in the "edit" text box, accessible by one click using the "edit" button. In the new system, the original poster clicks the "Report" button and describes the edit they'd like to make in the text box that then appears. It seems like an extra 30 to 60 seconds of effort to me, not some huge barrier. Perhaps I am missing something?
Thank you for clarifying this. I fear that I am not very good at absorbing a change in procedures or at believing that others will understand it and take the time to follow the new procedure so as to keep the original post up to date. As this was a useful recent thread about accommodation on the Invierno, a route on which finding a place to stay sometimes took me a lot of effort, I was concerned that it remain useful to others. Thanks again.

that others will... take the time to follow the new procedure so as to keep the original post up to date.
There is no expectation that people will update their old posts. If there were such an expectation, it would discourage people from contributing the information in the first place. Writers of guides need to spend a lot of time doing this, and fact-checking, to keep their guides current. The forum doesn't do this.

It is very nice when people do present updated information, but it is better to make a new post (on the original thread or a new one). If you edit an old post, there will be no notification to other members. If you create a new post, it will appear in feeds and "New Posts."

I think that the following addresses editing concerns with what I think will be some easy programming (especially if the software provider can be persuaded to do it).

For posts that are deemed too old for a member to delete or edit then, as done presently, remove the delete option but change the edit option into an append option. This would accept new text to be added to the bottom of the post with some statement of who made the post and when. Members could then make apologies, correct mistakes or make useful additions without having to bother a moderator. That would let members and visitors using the search function to find correct information without having to read every post in the thread and of course a new post could also be added to the thread to alert members to the new information.

This is an example of what an appending could look like:
Rick of Rick and Peg appended the following on March 11, 2020
I gave a link above to find the current conditions for the Camino del Norte. That link is now broken. Use the following instead.

By the way, having the member's name included in the append box is so moderators can also do an append, in which case the moderator's name would appear.

Last edited:
I think that the following addresses editing concerns with what I think will be some easy programming (especially if the software provider can be persuaded to do it).

For posts that are deemed too old for a member to delete or edit then, as done presently, remove the delete option but change the edit option into an append option. This would accept new text to be added to the bottom of the post with some statement of who made the post and when. Members could then make apologies, correct mistakes or make useful additions without having to bother a moderator. That would let members and visitors using the search function to find correct information without having to read every post in the thread and of course a new post could also be added to the thread to alert members to the new information.

That's a great idea Rick. Would love to see this implemented, if it was possible!

By the way, having the member's name included in the append box is so moderators can also do an append, in which case the moderator's name would appear.
It sounds great, if the software provider for the off-the-shelf product Ivar is using can be persuaded to do it for his overall product. But if they can't, I don't think it would be feasible for Ivar to try and have done for this Forum alone. Even if we discount the effort required, it would make it a real challenge to keep up with software updates, as it would have to be applied to each new version and each time it would need to be tested to ensure it still worked and didn't break anything in the new version.

Thanks Tincatinker, I can work around things with the resources, as you say. It's not a huge issue. However not being able to go back and delete or clean up your own old posts I do have a problem with. Hasn't everyone written things in the past that upon sober reflection they think would have been better left unsaid? !

As far as I understand you have a week to sober up, if it takes longer than that, a spelling mistake in a forum is probably the least of your worries.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.