• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Changes at the Pilgrim's Office

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
A friend reports on the changes to the Pilgrims' Office:

Things they are a-changing! The Oficina is closed, i.e. the upstairs part via the Green Doors. The whole of the house is going to be renovated and they reckon 2 years to do it! So at present, pilgrims go in through the Patio de las Mochilas and then up the stairs to the tiny new part that was opened while I was there last year.
Down in the patio, at the very end where backpack storage is available, there is the other "solution" !!!! in what was a tiny bar last year. They have now shoved all the furniture etc from the upper floor office into this tiny space. . . . . . and this year there are more pilgrims
expected than last year. There will be sheer and unadulterated chaos. As for safety when dealing with the thousands?????

The cathedral is being restored -the tower is enclosed in scaffolding. Part of the Azabacheria facade has already been cleaned and looks lovely.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
sillydoll said:
A friend reports on the changes to the Pilgrims' Office:

Things they are a-changing! The Oficina is closed, i.e. the upstairs part via the Green Doors. The whole of the house is going to be renovated and they reckon 2 years to do it! So at present, pilgrims go in through the Patio de las Mochilas and then up the stairs to the tiny new part that was opened while I was there last year.
Down in the patio, at the very end where backpack storage is available, there is the other "solution" !!!! in what was a tiny bar last year. They have now shoved all the furniture etc from the upper floor office into this tiny space. . . . . . and this year there are more pilgrims
expected than last year. There will be sheer and unadulterated chaos. As for safety when dealing with the thousands?????

The cathedral is being restored -the tower is enclosed in scaffolding. Part of the Azabacheria facade has already been cleaned and looks lovely.

Gosh...how cynical is your 'friend'?...they must come from a colder part of the world! The Pilgrims' Office is not closed and is functioning well. The office which was entered by the green door is closed for renovation - errrr...quite a normal occurence. For the time being pilgrims enter just a few yards down and are recieved as normal. There are now toilets for pilgrims which is a vast improvement on what was available previously.

If more pilgrims are expected this year than last year in what was a Holy Year I will eat my hat, stick and rucksack...it just isn't going to happen and in fact Santiago is quite quiet at the moment.

As for "unadulterated chaos" what a sad vision. Pilgrims turn up, queue up and get their Compostelas. I did just that the other day and felt very safe in presence of the current staff of the pilgrims' office.

I hope this reassures.

John

JohnnieWalker said:
If more pilgrims are expected this year than last year in what was a Holy Year I will eat my hat, stick and rucksack...it just isn't going to happen and in fact Santiago is quite quiet at the moment.
>
It is not probable that we'll meet Johnny Walker with serious indigestion later in the year!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In April there were about 5,000 fewer pilgrims this year than in 2010. I am going with Johnnie on this one, and will get out the salt for my hat just in case.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.