• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Changes in Albergues in Galicia

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
Just in from the updates from Pili Pala Press: As of January 1, 2008, Galician albergues will charge 3 euros a night. We were fortunate to have donativo albergues all through Galicia in May/June this year, and I don't think that 3 euros is out of line. They are maintained very well, and I guess the donativo thing didn't quite work out for all peregrinos. They also indicate that credencials will be checked more thoroughly for here on in.

Peace.

lynne

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I always paid at donativo albergues, and thought that was the normal thing, so can't see the problem with expecting pilgrims to pay 3euros.

I also walked in May/June this year, and found the Galician municipal albergues to be the dirtiest and worst maintained of the entire Camino. Perhaps this is because pilgrims don't pay, and there's no money for cleaners!

While I realise that Galicia bears the brunt of pilgrim traffic, it seems noone cleans up after the previous night's pilgrims - apart from emptying rubbish bins. On one occasion I thought to help and clean the bathrooms, but couldn't find any cleaning equipment!

This seems to be a problem solely in Galicia. Other municipal albergues on the Camino were pleasant, clean, friendly and well-maintained - and that includes the donativo ones.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Well, Trudy, you're probably right about people not valuing something they don't pay for. My husband got pneumonia and so we had to stay several days and nights resting in the albergue in Vilar de Bario. Very few pilgrims came through there on those days, but most notably, no one else from the community did either! I ended up being hospitalera and emptying garbage, cleaning bathrooms, washing floors, airing out dorms, etc. I think everyone just sort of innocently leaves in the morning secure in the knowledge that "someone" is going to come in and do it. Well, they don't! They do, however, leave lots of cleaning supplies.
So just a word of advice - Where you don't see anyone in charge of an alberque, take the garbage out in the morning (REALLY! It stinks!) and clean whatever you can for the next peregrinos coming through. It just takes a few minutes and makes a world of difference to those arriving that day.

Peace.

lynne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the VdlP there was definitely a difference between the albergues with hospitaleros and without. However, I was disappointed when, as we dropped our donativo in the box on the way out each morning, it sounded as if there were no other coins (or bills) there. It does cost to maintain the albergues, and I think E3 is quite reasonable.

Steve S

I always paid €5 for donativo refugios simply because they didn't ask for anything... I met someone who had to stay in donativos because he'd had EVERYTHING stolen... Poor fella :(

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back