• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Changes in plans along tbe way?

Enzed

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago (2020)
Not really a question but a conversation.
Years ago, end of 2019 I started planning on paper my first solo camino.
In April and May this year I finally accomplished that goal!

Just found my original plan in my paperwork. It was based on a 2019 guide book and what I thought I was capable of, after doing the coastal camino from Porto with my parents previously.
I seriously underestimated my abilities.

Tomar to vila verde, Alvaiazere, alvorge, Coimbriga, coimbra, Sernadelo, Agueda, Albergeria a velha, Sao Joao de Maderia, Grijo, Porto, vila cha, Rates, barcelos, fernados, ponte de lima, Tui, O porrino arcade, Pontevedra, Armenteria, vila nova, Padron, Santiago. 24 days. 476? Km

What I actually did
Tomar to Alvaiazere, Alvorge, Coimbriga, Coimbra, Sernadelo, Agueda, Branca, santa maria de Feira, Porto, Pedras Rubiaes ( rest day in Porto, Decided to go for a morning walk and train back), train to Pedras Rubiaes and walked to Rates, Barcelos, Barcelos rest day (day trip to Braga), casa Fernados, Ponte Lima, Rubiaes, Tui, Redondola, Combarro, Armenteria, Vila nova, Santiago, Negeira, Santa Marina, Quintans, Muxia,
26 days, More than 476Km!!

Some plans were altered before I left.
some happened along the way including the longer days from Tui onwards and adding on the walk to Muxia.

Lesson for the day, be open minded with your plans, and don't underestimate how far you can walk in a day. You might surprise yourself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I might have been a bit optimistic in my latter planning for the long walk to Alvaiazere. But I took it one step at a time and did it.
Anything after that I had the mindset if I could walk 34Km, today's walk can't be that bad.

Before adding on muxia, I had 2 free days.Nearing Tui, and finding the path a bit too crowded for my liking, I thought if I do 2 long days after Tui, and walk directly from the boat to Santiago, I'll be able to squeeze in a less crowded camino from santiago to Muxia.
And I dared myself a 34KM to Quintans as a personal challenge and to have more time in Muxia the next day.
A good plan I thought, so I did it.

Don't underestimate your abilities, you are stronger than you think you are.

On the other hand, don't overestimate what you can do in a day!
I agree. I hadn't walked a Camino since 2019 when I walked in Portugal on the Fisherman's Trail and then continued on from Porto to Santiago.
The two caminos I've walked since then this past year have shown me that I have slowed down in the past four years. I now walk a little slower and prefer shorter stages. Although I exercise and walk at home quite consistently, it's no fun for me if I have to push myself to train extra hard. I am accepting my limitations being older now. I want to enjoy my walks; it's no race or competition against myself or others, and I have no disappointment about it, preferring my stages of no more than 20k if possible (I think "less is more" for me anyway); the roses really do smell great!

P.S. I'm thinking @Enzed is probably a "tad" younger than me.🙂

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I too changed my plans during my walk. After 2 days of 30+ km I decided I didn’t want to keep that pace up. I kept asking myself, ‘what’s the point? What am I racing to/from?’

I slowed down - shorter distances. This allowed me to enjoy my walk, stop for breaks, care for my body/feet, take pictures, engage in deep reflection on my life/my priorities/relationships, and talk more with locals.

One of the many lessons I learned walking was, allow yourself the space & time to be open to the unexpected.

Lesson for the day, be open minded with your plans, and don't underestimate how far you can walk in a day. You might surprise yourself.
Don't underestimate your abilities, you are stronger than you think you are.
Here is another estimation. Especially on caminos like the CF and CP where you often have more options. Just let your body estimate how far you want to go each day. No matter how weak or strong you are you never know when your body may say enough for today.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm not fast nor an athlete. I take too many photos. I just find the act of walking relaxing for the mind body and soul. A few days my legs werent in the mood, most days no problems, some days I could plod along for ever.
On the less crowded part of the camino, I left early in the mornings, to enjoy the bird song, the morning mist and sun rise. That opinion changed as the path becane more busy.
One day after a rest day in Barcelos, where I stayed in quiet hotel room and slept in, I discovered that the path was much more quiet, and more enjoyable, the later you start.
After an unpleasant.walk from Casa Fernadas, dealing with noisy groups, which caused me to move over to the road for sone less stressful walking, I knew I should have started later that day.
Lesson learnt.
I purposely left Tui later in the day and walked in the latter afternoon. Loved it. Less outside noise to distract me from my walking experience. No regrets waking into Redondola at 6.30pm. I didn't walk fast, a had a few breaks, and I felt any stress leave my body.

It's trial and error, the camino.
Adapt it to your needs.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back