• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Changes to rules for the Compostela from A Coruña

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
CHANGES TO THE RULES FOR RECEIVING THE COMPOSTELA FROM A CORUÑA
Historians and Camino experts have argued for years with the Cathedral that pilgrims departing from Coruña and walking to Santiago should receive the Compostela although the distance is less that 100 kms.
Recently a delegation of associations walked the route and agreed with this argument. The local authorities also backed the change.
Today the Chapter of Canons have announced their decision:
Pilgrims who walk the balance of the distance (25 kms) in their own country or area where they live and then walk to Santiago may receive the Compostela.
Residents of Coruña itself who walk to Santiago for spiritual reasons may receive the Compostela.
All other pilgrims who walk from Coruña to Santiago may receive a certificate from the Pilgrims' Office.

http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/es/respuesta-cabildo-compostela-desde-coruña

Respuesta del Cabildo de la Catedral de Santiago a la petición para conceder la Compostela a los peregrinos que vienen al sepulcro del Apóstol Santiago desde A…
CATEDRALDESANTIAGO.ES

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have visions of the look on my local barista's face at Starbucks if I went in asking for a stamp. Only to be matched by the look on the girl at McDonald's 25 km later.

You would likely have no trouble in Québec, as my little yellow arrow pin has been recognized in Starbucks, Java U, and the SAQ. I imagine that they all have sellos!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
CHANGES TO THE RULES FOR RECEIVING THE COMPOSTELA FROM A CORUÑA

Looking at my very first Credential from 2009, I see that I walked 72 kilometers in the U.K. from Exeter to the Ferryport at Plymouth. The Sellos are from Exeter Cathedral, Chudleigh Post office, Liverton Post Office, Buckfast Abbey (includes the personal signature of Abbot David), Sportsman's Inn Ivybridge and Brittany Ferries at Plymouth: - Ah . . the memories :)
The only place I had a problem was at Exeter Cathedral !!!! Found one eventually in the Gift Shop. In the U.K. all Post Offices have a Sello, so if all else fails they are the places to ask.
Sadly I don't know of any ferries between England and Coruña, so we can't follow in the steps of our mediaeval forebears.:(
Going by air does not seem quite the same somehow.
Thank you Johnnie for your long-time perseverance in the cause :)

Blessings
Tio Tel

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll probably due this walk in 2020. Don't really care about the paper. :) Have done Ferrol and loved it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What I'm happiest about is the recognition of those foot pilgrims who actually live closer to the Cathedral than the 100 KM rule. They've been unfairly discriminated against for far too long, and for no valid reasons.

I was not sure which of the A Coruña threads to reply to, but this one seems the most logical.

At the recently concluded American Pilgrims on the Camino Gathering we had two representatives from A Coruña. They brought with them a signed letter from the Cathedral stating this starting point was valid for earning a Compostela- providing you could prove you had walked the other 25 km prior to arrival.

For those pilgrims in the USA my suggestion to them, and the APOC board, was this- If you are a member of a chapter with a stamp use that as your first one, and if you are going to do your walking in a National Park have them stamp it for your #2. Most US National Parks have stamps for the "Park Pasport" book.

I asked a member of the APOC Board to post the letter on their website. Hopefully, between the letter and the stamps, things will go smoothly at the Pilgrims Office.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@JohnnieWalker or anyone else in the know- When filling out the first page of your credential, where it asks for "Starting Point" do you put A Coruña or your home trail? Getting ready to do this with my daughter or I would not even worry, but I would like her to receive a Compostela.

@JohnnieWalker or anyone else in the know- When filling out the first page of your credential, where it asks for "Starting Point" do you put A Coruña or your home trail? Getting ready to do this with my daughter or I would not even worry, but I would like her to receive a Compostela.
As you need to have walked at least 25kms at home before starting in A Coruña then you would need to put the home start point and also have the stamps to prove it. If there is a problem with places to obtain stamps try your local Post Offices, cathedral, shops etc as you walk. PO stamps are also dated which is useful.

The walk of the missing 25km in your home country came up recently in our local American Pilgrims chapter (Atlanta, GA). When I went to pull up the letter on the CJS website I could not find it. “No problem”, I thought to myself, “I know where there is a link to it” (this thread). Unfortunately, the link at the top is now dead. Anyone know where to find the rule, in writing, preferably on an official page? Thanks in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is the link to CSJ, but gives information for the UK https://www.csj.org.uk/the-camino-ingles/
You might need to PM @t2andreo who is in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago at present. He might be able to get the information you need and also post it here.

Unfortunately, the link at the top is now dead. Anyone know where to find the rule, in writing, preferably on an official page?
This is now the link to the announcement in December 2016:

The main part (Google Translate plus some adaption) says:

[It] is agreed, with the V º Bº [approval] of the Archbishop, that this document [i.e. the Compostela] can be issued to the following pilgrims:
  • Given the tradition, historically documented, of the arrival of numerous pilgrims through the port of Coruña, the possibility of obtaining the Compostela is granted to those who, having walked part of the Camino in their countries or regions of origin, cover the distance on foot that separates the port of Coruña from the Cathedral of Compostela.
  • Also, to the inhabitants of the city of Coruña and its surroundings who, devotionis causa, visit the Jacobean sites of their city, and walk the rest of the pilgrimage on foot to the tomb of the Apostle Saint James.

Last edited:
If I may add, this text is a bit wishy-washy which seems to be typical of the Cathedral's official statements about practical details of contemporary foot pilgrimage to Compostela.

One immediately wonders what a "part of the Camino in their countries or regions of origin" means in practical terms. Some non-Spanish camino associations have apparently created or nominated some kind of official camino trails of at least 25 km in their countries for this purpose, complete with stamps and even certificates; they are not compulsory walking, however, if you want to get a Compostela for starting from Coruña. From what I understand any 25 km anywhere in the world will do although it will no doubt look better if it can be fashioned into a meaningful bit of pilgrimage walk. You will need stamps of some kind to document your walk.

The numbers of those who want to walk from Coruña and are keen on getting a Compostela is small so I guess there's not much demand or urgency to create such trails in countries other than the obvious ones, namely Ireland and the UK. I have never heard of such activities in countries such as Scandinavia, Benelux, the Baltic states or Northern parts of Germany and Poland where, historically at least, pilgrims would also have left on boats for Galician ports. Interest on the part of the US, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and South African associations seems to be low, and I know nothing about those in South Corea and Brazil.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have visions of the look on my local barista's face at Starbucks if I went in asking for a stamp. Only to be matched by the look on the girl at McDonald's 25 km later.
I have a stamp from a hotel right next to the port of Coruña that doesn't usually cater for pilgrims and of the three people at reception only one person immediately understood why I wanted a stamp. The pilgrim world seems to be a small and limited one, even in Spain. 🙃

I have a stamp from a hotel right next to the port of Coruña that doesn't usually cater for pilgrims and of the three people at reception only one person immediately understood why I wanted a stamp. The pilgrim world seems to be a small and limited one, even in Spain. 🙃
The lighthouse in A Coruña also has a stamp. The lady who stamped ours was so excited to stamp one that she made sure it was perfectly centered.

If I may add, this text is a bit wishy-washy which seems to be typical of the Cathedral's official statements about practical details of contemporary foot pilgrimage to Compostela.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was trying to find.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back