• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Changing plans: Where to get guide book in Leon

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
We've been walking the Via de la Plata and enjoying it. However, for logistical reasons (to allow flexibility for shorter distances and transportation options) we are thinking of taking the bus from Salamanca to Leon, and continuing on the Frances.

We really want a paper guide book, preferably in English, but didn't bring one for the Frances! Does anyone know where we might buy one in Leon?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Clare,
You might try the Benedictinas albergue. They have a shelf of related guidebooks for sale. Here is their info in Gronze.com.

Here is a Yelp list in English of 10 bookstores in Leon linked to a map.

Carpe diem!

Last edited:
We've been walking the Via de la Plata and enjoying it. However, for logistical reasons (to allow flexibility for shorter distances and transportation options) we are thinking of taking the bus from Salamanca to Leon, and continuing on the Frances.

We really want a paper guide book, preferably in English, but didn't bring one for the Frances! Does anyone know where we might buy one in Leon?
Hi, C clearly,
I don't know where you are know, but if you have a few days, it'd be easy for Ivar to send you one quickly. Reserve a room in a hostal now, let them know you'll be having something sent, and give Ivar the address.

Enjoy the journey, looking forward to hearing all about it. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks @mspath and @peregrina2000 for the quick replies. I might order one from Ivar, but also got a very compact little guide from the Salamanca tourist information Centre. But it doesn't show detail of the walking route. (Edited because I accidentally hit reply too soon!)

Last edited:
Thanks @mspath and @peregrina2000 for the quick replies. I might order one from Ivar, but also got a very compact little guide from the Salamanca tourist information Centre. But it doesn't show detail of the walking route. (Edited because I accidentally hit reply too soon!)
Been thinking about you Clare. Hope the journey continues smoothly and that you get your guide soon. Maggie

Been thinking about you Clare. Hope the journey continues smoothly and that you get your guide soon. Maggie

Maggie, I've been thinking about @c clearly’s camino also, and then realized, oh wait she has a blog link under her signature. What's the matter with me?! Looks from the blog like there are in Hervás or vicinity.

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts! It is hard enough to keep up with the blog (mainly to update family and friends) that posts to the forum suffer a bit. Our plans are in flux. As people have said, "every day is a new camino." I have ordered the guide from Ivar, for delivery to Leon. We'll spend a couple of days there before starting to walk again. I have decided that we need to look out for our health first, which means a good night's sleep every night. So, it will be private accommodation, which is fortunately fairly affordable for 2 people travelling together.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You should be able to pickup the Michelin map guide on any souvenir store in the center of Leon. I walked the Frances with just that. It is similar to the Brierly's map version. Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for your thoughts! It is hard enough to keep up with the blog (mainly to update family and friends) that posts to the forum suffer a bit. Our plans are in flux. As people have said, "every day is a new camino." I have ordered the guide from Ivar, for delivery to Leon. We'll spend a couple of days there before starting to walk again. I have decided that we need to look out for our health first, which means a good night's sleep every night. So, it will be private accommodation, which is fortunately fairly affordable for 2 people travelling together.
Glad you're going to be comfortable Clare. I do envy you. As much writing as I do, I've never any blogs. Probably just as well. I was so tired at the end of the day, it wouldn't have be in me to pick up a pen. Knowing this, I did take a digital voice recorder just so I could get my thoughts down 'spur of the moment' and to record 'the sounds of the Camino'. Continued Buen Camino….

Buen Camino, Claire!
A little late in the piece, but a few years ago I got a Frances guidebook at a bookstore just south of the roundabout near the Plaza Santo Domingo. There are a couple of bookshops down there.
Maybe see you out there, or in Santiago?

Hi, Clare, Glad you are chugging along and have found a pace that works for you two. Just another reason to reflect on how lucky we are to be able to be flexible, to pay for private accommodation, etc. Hope you enjoy the next days into Salamanca. Soak up Salamanca before you head to Leon. Hard to imagine that anyone could have built a prettier Plaza Mayor. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back