• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Changing shoes as well as socks?

GlendaMac

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, May - June 2020 SJPDP to SDC
Hi all
I’ve just signed up to the forum but have been reading many threads and learning heaps in preparation for my Camino Francés - not going until May 2020, so this may be overkill, but as a retired academic research is everything😀.
I am wearing in 2 pairs of hiking shoes. I bought the first pair a half size bigger after reading posts and while wearing thick merino hiking socks. I have since bought and quite like Injingi toe socks as my little toe and 4th toes typically rub and blister in between. With both pairs of socks these shoes are comfortable but probably snugger than they should be, so I bought a second pair a further half size bigger.
My question is: does anyone wear one pair of shoes and set of socks until they take a break, and then change both shoes and socks? I suspect the smaller shoes could work with the toe socks and a thinner outer sock, but once my feet have walked a few hours and swollen a bit they might like the larger shoe and more padding of thicker socks for the rest of the day.
Extra weight, I know, but I will be carrying only a day bag as I plan to have a small case transported daily and just enjoy the walk. Any opinions on this idea are welcome.
cheers
Glenda

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all
I’ve just signed up to the forum but have been reading many threads and learning heaps in preparation for my Camino Francés - not going until May 2020, so this may be overkill, but as a retired academic research is everything😀.
I am wearing in 2 pairs of hiking shoes. I bought the first pair a half size bigger after reading posts and while wearing thick merino hiking socks. I have since bought and quite like Injingi toe socks as my little toe and 4th toes typically rub and blister in between. With both pairs of socks these shoes are comfortable but probably snugger than they should be, so I bought a second pair a further half size bigger.
My question is: does anyone wear one pair of shoes and set of socks until they take a break, and then change both shoes and socks? I suspect the smaller shoes could work with the toe socks and a thinner outer sock, but once my feet have walked a few hours and swollen a bit they might like the larger shoe and more padding of thicker socks for the rest of the day.
Extra weight, I know, but I will be carrying only a day bag as I plan to have a small case transported daily and just enjoy the walk. Any opinions on this idea are welcome.
cheers
Glenda
I sent my pack forward too. I wore my hiking boots and carried a pair of Chacos to change into after walking about 10k. My feet started to ache in the boots. I wore Chacos with socks too. I just ties the boot laces and threw them over my shoulder. (In hindsight, I think I needed an arch support insole in my boots.). I bought a different brand of boots, Vasque, for my next Camino. They are I whole size larger than the Lowas I wore last time. And I put in a small insole for arch support. The Chacos will be my spares.

As you don't have to worry too much about weight, yes go for it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you both for such swift replies, and the positive response.
It looks like you caught the Camino bug. I was 60 and recently retired when I first walked the Camino in 2016. I leaned a lot about what to do and what not to do. I made some wonderful friends. I may walk again in August/September. Buen Camino!

Hi all
cheers
Glenda

GlendaMac do you know your May 2020 dates yet? I am starting from SJPdP weekend of May 16.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It looks like you caught the Camino bug. I was 60 and recently retired when I first walked the Camino in 2016. I leaned a lot about what to do and what not to do. I made some wonderful friends. I may walk again in August/September. Buen Camino!
Hi Karen
Yes to catching Camino bug - something I’ve known about for a while, but now the plan is becoming a reality, if still a year away :)

GlendaMac do you know your May 2020 dates yet? I am starting from SJPdP weekend of May 16.
Hi Suziq
Not sure yet but think I will fly out of Oz close to the end of April and start walking in the first couple of days of May. I will probably have 2 days in SJPDP to get over jet lag before heading off. Hope to see you somewhere on the trail.

I sometimes switched into my sandals for the last couple of hours on hot days.
Thanks CdnDreamer. I’m assuming that May will be relatively cool (for me) so had not given sandals much thought. They are obviously popular not just for evenings but for considerable walking too.
Do you have issues with dust/grit getting under or on your feet, or do you wear them with socks?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sandals (with Vibram soles) for evening wear or short days after rare blisters. I do change insoles mid day sometimes. Always dry out sweaty boots/socks midday and change socks when wet (the rare blister thing comes from being lazy with wet sock changes)

Hi all
cheers
Glenda

Hi, Glendamac, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

Personally, I do not like cobbling together a make-do solution, and I am concerned with what you are are thinking of doing. Based on the information you provided, if you want the best outcome for your feet, than you need to start over with your shoes. If the footwear you purchased can be returned or exchanged then I would do so and start afresh. :)

With assistance to help you learn and understand proper shoe fitting guidelines, you can then purchase footwear that will actually fit you and work well for long distance walking and hiking. I'd be happy to assist if you do decide to start over. As it stands now, I do not think you will be happy with what you are proposing to do.

Hi all
cheers
Glenda
On the Camino your feet are SOOOO important. I would think your feet would like the more padded socks right from the beginning of the day - you really have to give them the best you can.
I know its common for feet to be more swollen by the end of a day even when you're not walking but I also find that my feet are more swollen than they would normally be anyway, heat, gravity, constantly walking etc and I could imagine your smaller shoes would just be too small. It is likely that your feet are bigger than normal at the beginning of the day,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Karen
Yes to catching Camino bug - something I’ve known about for a while, but now the plan is becoming a reality, if still a year away :)
I’ve been a Camino addict since before I walked in 2016. A knee surgery in 2017 and a cross country move after that has kept me away. Now it’s a very old but sweet little dog. My husband said he can’t leave her. I understand and totally agree. But I may still walk in August/September this year.

Hi, Glendamac, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

Personally, I do not like cobbling together a make-do solution, and I am concerned with what you are are thinking of doing. Based on the information you provided, if you want the best outcome for your feet, than you need to start over with your shoes. If the footwear you purchased can be returned or exchanged then I would do so and start afresh. :)

With assistance to help you learn and understand proper shoe fitting guidelines, you can then purchase footwear that will actually fit you and work well for long distance walking and hiking. I'd be happy to assist if you do decide to start over. As it stands now, I do not think you will be happy with what you are proposing to do.
Hi DaveBugg
Appreciate your input as I have been reading many of your very useful posts.
I think my larger pair will work well with my current sock selection, but guess I was hoping to get some decent use from the other pair. Guess they will become local walking shoes rather than multi day shoes.
Thanks
Glenda

On the Camino your feet are SOOOO important. I would think your feet would like the more padded socks right from the beginning of the day - you really have to give them the best you can.
I know its common for feet to be more swollen by the end of a day even when you're not walking but I also find that my feet are more swollen than they would normally be anyway, heat, gravity, constantly walking etc and I could imagine your smaller shoes would just be too small. It is likely that your feet are bigger than normal at the beginning of the day,
Point taken Anamiri. Will focus on the larger ones and try to get the sock combos right to accommodate swollen/bigger feet. Am finding the toe socks wonderful - usually after a few hours a couple of my toes start rubbing but they are nicely protected.
Thank you
Glenda

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi DaveBugg
Appreciate your input as I have been reading many of your very useful posts.
I think my larger pair will work well with my current sock selection, but guess I was hoping to get some decent use from the other pair. Guess they will become local walking shoes rather than multi day shoes.
Thanks
Glenda
I wear boots with lots of space and put lambs wool in the front and back at first before my feet grow and swell. Then remove the lambs wool as needed I wear size 10 US women’s size but my boots are size 11 men’s and feel great. Like SUVs on my feet . Had no blisters on the CF with this rig.

I guess my point was that your post did not indicate if you had actually walked in your larger pair and tested them for suitability for going downhill, with the socks and insoles you will wear and carrying whatever load you plan to carry.

It may very well be that the larger shoe will be the correct fit. But a half size larger is a remarkably small difference in size. Because of that, I would offer that a good guideline for fitting hiking shoes be used while assessing the suitability of your larger pair before you depart.

I have seen many, many folks that have simple chosen their hiking shoe size based on adding some random increase in length or width, like increasing by one size, instead of ignoring numbers, and then choosing the shoe based on fit and feel. The result being that their shoes were still too small, and their toes banged themselves to jelly on downhills.

A lot of folks are surprised when they find that the best shoe size is actually one size, to even two sizes, larger than their regular shoe size. My wife was stunned that she needed a shoe that was two sizes larger than the size she is comfortable in while working her shifts as a nurse.

If I can be of any help, feel free to send a private message. It sounds as though you are certain of your choice and I am glad it is working out for you :)
Hi Dave
The larger shoes are a full size larger than normal, and half size larger than the ‘smaller’ pair. I’ve been wearing both in for just over a month now and find the smaller ones fine for a couple of hours, the most I am currently walking.
I think I need to experiment with some thinner outer socks for fit and feel in both, but suspect the larger ones are the way to go.
I have a full year to work through these issues, and get new shoes if these don’t work out over the next few months. I may take you up on the offer if things don’t go well.
Thanks
Glenda

I wear boots with lots of space and put lambs wool in the front and back at first before my feet grow and swell. Then remove the lambs wool as needed I wear size 10 US women’s size but my boots are size 11 men’s and feel great. Like SUVs on my feet . Had no blisters on the CF with this rig.
The lambs wool is an interesting concept that I keep reading about. Is it just unprocessed, but washed, wool? Where do you get it from? I can imagine it would be quite useful on all the downhill sections.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The lambs wool is an interesting concept that I keep reading about. Is it just unprocessed, but washed, wool? Where do you get it from? I can imagine it would be quite useful on all the downhill sections.

I haven't heard of using Lambs Wool for 'packing out' space in footwear.
I'm not sure that would be comfortable long term.

But for blister prevention. Absolutely.
I describe it's use here. http://robscamino.com/2015/foot-care/

I haven't heard of using Lambs Wool for 'packing out' space in footwear.
I'm not sure that would be comfortable long term.

But for blister prevention. Absolutely.
I describe it's use here. http://robscamino.com/2015/foot-care/
Thanks Rob. I checked your blister prevention post and the hikers wool details. Sounds useful wrapping your potentially sore spots with wool - do you believe it’s better than taping? I’ll track some down locally and give it a try.

Thanks Rob. I checked your blister prevention post and the hikers wool details. Sounds useful wrapping your potentially sore spots with wool - do you believe it’s better than taping? I’ll track some down locally and give it a try.

For blister prevention Yes, I find it better than taping.
But you have to use it as soon as you feel a hot spot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It’s very comfortable and you can get it at pharmacies or online. It is processed fine,washed wool. Helps on the downhills.

The packing out is very temporary until my feet expand into the boots after a few days. Really only needed with downhill walks.
Great for blister care too.

The packing out is very temporary until my feet expand into the boots after a few days. Really only needed with downhill walks.
Great for blister care too.
Thank you - I’ll give that a try. Love your name BTW - are you a Deborah Harkness fan or some other interest?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took next to my boots super soft hoka one one and they helped me with tarmac walks, they are light and I walked in them as if walking on pine needles so soft. Plus a pair of flip flops to get them aired out in the evening. My blister zone was on the Camino before between the big toe and the next toe, so I walked the summer before on Birkenstock’s Gizeh to develope some tougher skin there. Was realy worth it. No blister last time. My regiment would be on the spots that where tender I taped paper tape realy thin then I added some glider rub Hirschhorntalk then the socks. Worked for me. Maybe for others too?

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.