• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Changing Socks (or just airing them out)

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 - Frances & Portugues
July 2022 - Norte
Question: Instead of changing socks, is it enough to take them off over a long break (lunch?), shake out the sand, and turn them inside out and let dry? This is what I've been doing on my practice walks at ~90+F (32+C). I'll be walking the CF in Aug/Sept. I wear 2 socks on my right foot (smaller than left) so a complete sock change would require 6 socks every day. I'd have to carry 6 pairs of socks assuming I could get them dry every single night. All Smartwool phD Minisocks.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, airing works well if the weather is good.
I find the important thing is to get them dry. (they get sweaty)

I carry spare socks and alternate them through the day.
I wear think inner socks and thick outer socks.
So 8 socks in all.

If the weather is good, the ones I take off are pinned to my pack to dry out.

Extra socks are not heavy, but your feet will love them. ;);)

Three Caminos and no blisters yet..........

Hey there :) Okay, where does this "change socks" idea come from? Haven't heard about it to be honest. What you will see on many packing lists is that people are taking 2 - 3 pairs of socks on the Camino. I myself had 2 thinner pairs of socks for hiking (also used Smartwool but their hiking socks, they are awesome!) and 1 pair of thicker wool socks to wear at night (I walked in Sep/Oct thus it got much colder in the evening plus warmth helps with aching foot muscles). You have good socks there, they will dry over night if you air them out/wash them. Also, I often put the second pair on the outside of my backpack over the day to dry fast in the sun. Long talk: Take only 2 sets of socks, you will be fine :)

Another trick some people have sworn about to prevent blisters: Wear thin nylon socks underneath your hiking socks so to lessen any friction.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes go for just airing if it works for you. Depending on when you walk though...in the winter months they might not dry very fast, and you really want them to be dry before you put them back on as it’s the moisture that will cause problems.

I change socks, hanging the old pairs (I wear a liner pair and a regular pair) from the back of my pack with safety pins to dry out. Airing them out wouldn’t dry them out. I also reapply petroleum jelly when I change socks.

Question: Instead of changing socks, is it enough to take them off over a long break (lunch?), shake out the sand, and turn them inside out and let dry? This is what I've been doing on my practice walks at ~90+F (32+C). I'll be walking the CF in Aug/Sept. I wear 2 socks on my right foot (smaller than left) so a complete sock change would require 6 socks every day. I'd have to carry 6 pairs of socks assuming I could get them dry every single night. All Smartwool phD Minisocks.
I have done that many times. I guess it works if you don’t have really sweaty, stinky feet. I turn the socks inside out, give them a good rub and shake but put them back on the correct way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most important to blister prevention is letting your sweaty feet dry. As already stated, turn your socks inside out and place them in the sun or under your shirt if necessary due to rain. When ready to go wear the same socks. I wear double layer Wrightsocks that dry quickly and wear the same socks every day. Not one blister over 7 caminos.
I do carry a total of two pairs of socks for the occasional evening that I would rather be drinking vino tinto instead of doing laundry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just to throw in another opinion as we all have different socks, shoes, and feet. 😎 I don’t change out my socks until I arrive at my stop for the evening. The only time I take my shoes off during the day is if I feel a hot spot that needs attention (which doesn’t happen very often). I usually hike in May (I’m on the Camino now) so summer months may be different. I have however taken my shoes off to dip my feet in a steam a few times. Quite refreshing!

Buen Camino

Just remember to rotate your socks. Started out on the left foot; re-wear it on the right foot and contrariwise.

This may not actually benefit your feet but it will keep you in the moment ;)
For those of us who wear asymmetric socks, swapping is achieved by first turning the sock inside out, and then wearing the reversed sock on the opposite foot.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.