A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Changing the clocks - possible changes in EU countries in 2021

Camino(s) past & future
----
Updated on 27 Nov 2018

This is rather stupid: I updated this first message in the thread but the updated text is now gone and so are all my other messages in the thread. So to make it short: there was a public consultation, followed by a legislative proposal that is now with the legislators and the rest will have to be seen in 2021 or later.

General idea: no switching between summertime (aka as daylight saving time) and wintertime (aka as normal time), and every EU country can adopt the timezone they like best for themselves. The plan to achieve this goal already in 2019 has been abandoned.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Future (2019) Portuguese.
I will be (if all goes according to plan) walking when the Spring Fwd happens in 2019. I figure I would be walking based on daylight conditions more so than clock conditions anyway. But.... if I keep finding myself looking for a meal or checking in to accommodations during siesta or too late for a bed I may have to use the clock and not the sun. I have been in Europe in the Fall and experienced that loss of an hour and it did create some havoc on closures of shops / banks.

FWIW here in USoA not all 50 states take part in the exercise. Arizona and Hawaii abstain. Seems life goes on just fine in those two states.

Tincatinker

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
It will be a shame if it does all change, to ECT or whatever. I quite like that the same flight, to Madrid, can take three and a half hours one way and one and a half the other. My brain enjoys trying to correlate bus & train timetables to UK flight times that switch to Spanish landing times. I have noticed that however 'long' the flight is those skinflints at BA still only issue one measly gin & tonic for the entire flight....

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte, Madrid-Salv-Primitivo
One winter in the UK, when I was growing up, we walked to school in the dark – an experiment by the UK government to do away with “daylight saving”. If my memory serves me correctly, the idea was abandoned because there were too many traffic accidents. Next winter we were back to “normal”.
Jill

AZgirl

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2012 , via de la Plata 2014
Madrid/frances Sept/Oct 2017
Next : Levante Sept 2019
I will be (if all goes according to plan) walking when the Spring Fwd happens in 2019. I figure I would be walking based on daylight conditions more so than clock conditions anyway. But.... if I keep finding myself looking for a meal or checking in to accommodations during siesta or too late for a bed I may have to use the clock and not the sun. I have been in Europe in the Fall and experienced that loss of an hour and it did create some havoc on closures of shops / banks.

FWIW here in USoA not all 50 states take part in the exercise. Arizona and Hawaii abstain. Seems life goes on just fine in those two states.
I live in AZ and it's mostly fine. Except I live super close to the new Mexico state line and our community is on both sides., so half the year it's e.g. " party starts at 7 AZ time, " it's easy for confusion. And the sun comes up super early in the summer,official sunrise can be as early as 520 am, but you can see way before that.

lissie45

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to walk Frances 2019
Isn't Spain in the wrong timezone anyways - all year around. I just checked on time and date - and even mid summer dawn is not until nearly 7am and its not dark to 10pm a glance at a map suggests it should be on GMT not GMT+1 Is that what the referendum is about - or just daylight saving

Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
TBD (2019)
Isn't Spain in the wrong timezone anyways - all year around.
Yes, Spain is in the 'wrong' timezone. Santiago de Compostela, for example, is further west than most of Portugal but is one hour 'east' (i.e. ahead) of Portugal in time. Similarly, Madrid is further west than London but one hour 'east' in time. But it suits the Spanish culture and way of life for it to be that way - that is, wake up late and stay up late.

lissie45

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to walk Frances 2019
When in Spain, I can easily adapt to having dinner at 8:30 at the earliest (albergues catering for pilgrims but mainly for other travellers) or at 9 or even later (restaurants) etc. What feels strange to me, is the late sunrise, for example the sun rises currently around 7:30 along the Camino Frances (middle part). I don't like getting up before sunrise and won't walk in the dark as a rule ... no criticism, just how it feels to me.
So do people walk in the dark? I thought from the chat here people get up very early if it’s not light until 730?

Yes, Spain is in the 'wrong' timezone. Santiago de Compostela, for example, is further west than most of Portugal but is one hour 'east' (i.e. ahead) of Portugal in time. Similarly, Madrid is further west than London but one hour 'east' in time. But it suits the Spanish culture and way of life for it to be that way - that is, wake up late and stay up late.
Or the Spanish learned to adapt when the time zone was changed by Franco in 1940 from Greenwich Mean Time to Central European Time in a show of allegiance to Hitler's Germany. Some believe that this time zone shift is responsible for Spain's unusual daily schedule.

There has been much discussion about changing the time zone back to GMT which would bring mainland Spain into the same time zone as Spain's Canary Islands and Portugal but no reforms have yet been made.

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Frances (2015)
Isn't Spain in the wrong timezone anyways - all year around. I just checked on time and date - and even mid summer dawn is not until nearly 7am and its not dark to 10pm a glance at a map suggests it should be on GMT not GMT+1 Is that what the referendum is about - or just daylight saving
Dont know if this is true but I recall reading somewhere that Franco changed it so that Spain was on the same time as Berlin. Some Spaniards referred to it as 'Hitler Time'. I could be wrong but there is a vague memory about this

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
I think the answer should be left to the Spanish people. We adjust!

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Just to clarify again: The consultation and survey that is the initial topic of the thread was addressed to all 500 million EU citizens since it concerns all of them - and I'm one of them :). See EU gets record response on 'summertime' consultation .
Sorry:)but you posted this question on an international website?!
Yes, I did see your post....but I still think it should be left up to the local people of Spain and various member countries to determine whether they EACH want it. In the states each state decides. What I wonder is whether Spain should continue to be on Central European time and might it be better off in GMT? Good luck with your survey.

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
It's not my survey. I posted after I read a last minute call for participation in our newspapers and felt it was relevant here.

Or, I felt it was at least as relevant as these forum posts about sales at REI and Aldi somewhere on this globe. :cool:
I answered the survey a while ago...We will see if it will make any difference... :cool:

long trails

Camino(s) past & future
Frances June 2016
Portugues April 2017
Seriously this should not even be up for debate. Madrid is further west than London yet it's one hour ahead. Ridiculous that in mid summer it's still light at 11pm at this latitiude!

Franco changed the clocks to align with Berlin. About time Spain woke up (a little earlier) and change the clock back to be on UTC.

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
Yes, Spain but also France, Belgium, Luxemburg and The Netherlands are in the wrong timezone, they should be in WET (Western European Time) but they are in CET (Central European Time). ...

Apparently, a number of EU states have officially asked for a review, among them Finland and Lithuania - so at the opposite end to Spain. When I grew up, the clocks were never changed and I've resented the procedure ever since. :cool:

Around here, we have daylight saving time since 1980 or so.
Hola @Kathar1na . From my dim distant history of time I was given to understand that "local time" in France is based on the Meridian of Longitude that runs through Paris. A sort of French Mean Time (opposing Greenwich). How the rest of Europe followed I don't know. As for "eastern Europe" if its good enough for Greece to be one hour ahead Finland & Lithuania could "move" also.
Spanish "local sun time"I have experienced - leaving Rabanal at 8.25 with the sun still not up; or getting on the 9.25 train from Santiago to Madrid and watching the sun rise. As I said elsewhere "those crazy Spaniards".

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
I don’t quite understand this remark. The clocks in Greece, Finland and Lithuania show the same time all year round, in summer as in winter. This is about the change to and from summertime (elsewhere known as daylight saving time) which takes place in March and October in every EU country and to which many people object, at least from Helsinki to Berlin and Brussels - don’t really know about the people in Paris and Madrid.
I beg to differ - I was in Greece in Oct 2009 and on the last Sunday in Oct the clocks went from Summer Time back to Standard time. I know because my transport to the ferry was an hour early, the driver had not reset his clocks, so we had and extra hour wait to board the ferry back to Athens. Cheers

notion900

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
>
Daylight saving time is meant to better deploy the shorter hours of daylight in the winter for the working hours. Therefore it matters more the further north you go in Europe, and not so much in southern Europe.

Camino(s) past & future
----
Since the question of the timezone rules, supposedly dating back to the 1940s, has just come up again in another thread and since there was some new info about this question, dating back to 2018, in the news today, I've updated the title of this thread: it now says possible changes in EU countries in 2021 instead of possible changes in EU countries in 2019.

Background info: Upon popular request, the European Commission had proposed that we stop changing from summertime (aka daylight saving time) to wintertime and back again, and that every EU country adopts the timezone they like best and stick to it, as of March 2019. Alas, this is going too fast for the 27 EU governments who have the final say on this. They claim that they need more time to make up their minds and to coordinate with each other. So the current planning now says that 31 October 2021 is the earliest date for a possibly last changing of the clocks in the EU.

I have no idea what Spain is planning to do. Anyone?

Last edited:

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%