• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Changing to a 20L from 32L pack

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
This isn't a question. lol. Couldn't figure out where to put the post.

For the last 6 months I have been training with a 32L Osprey Mira pack. As the weight and items causing the weight have been removed or exchanged for lighter items, I had a lot of empty space in the 32L pack.

So I just got a 20L pack today (Osprey Tempest). Everything fits, with no room to spare if I pack it just right. Wow is it lighter!!!!! The pack is over 1lb lighter. And sits much more stable on my back as it is much narrower. Like these things very much.

I can in no way reach the side pockets ment for water bottles. My pants pockets will hold water bottles, so this is ok. It isn't nearly as padded, which may be an issue. But the pack isn't broken in, all softened up, yet. There are the same stiff feelings in the shoulder harness as in my old pack when it was new.

Tuesday Hubby and I will walk 5+ miles up a canyon road which matches the elevation change from St Jean to Orisson. New pack test day. By the end of the day I will know if weight or comfort wins the day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My vote will always be for comfort - but if the lighter one is comfortable you have a real winner!!
Make sure you trial walking with water bottles banging against your legs - it might bug you.

Have you considered a water bottle hydration system? Search that term in Amazon. I've never used one but a mentor at American Pilgrims said she loves hers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

For the last 6 months I have been training with a 32L Osprey Mira pack. As the weight and items causing the weight have been removed or exchanged for lighter items, I had a lot of empty space in the 32L pack.

So I just got a 20L pack today (Osprey Tempest). Everything fits, with no room to spare if I pack it just right. Wow is it lighter!!!!! The pack is over 1lb lighter. And sits much more stable on my back as it is much narrower. Like these things very much.

I can in no way reach the side pockets ment for water bottles. My pants pockets will hold water bottles, so this is ok. It isn't nearly as padded, which may be an issue. But the pack isn't broken in, all softened up, yet. There are the same stiff feelings in the shoulder harness as in my old pack when it was new.

Tuesday Hubby and I will walk 5+ miles up a canyon road which matches the elevation change from St Jean to Orisson. New pack test day. By the end of the day I will know if weight or comfort wins the day.

Jo,

I use the Talon of the same size which is the men's version of the Tempest. I find it works well up to about 15 lbs after that I think it would be better to have a more substantial hip belt set up. I found that with practice I could pretty easily get water bottles in and out of the pockets but I needed to teach my arms where the bottles were first. It you put your elbow up and behind you and have someone move your hand toward the bottle you may be able to do it. If I remember right I have to push the pocked down with the back of my index finger and slide the bottle in with the other fingers and thumb.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
20L?? I am taking 55+10 Deuter Aircontact :O

How is possible pack everything what you need to 20L?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Though I favour a Triton 40L for the Camino as I think 55L is a bit big.
I am doing day training hikes with a very simple Quechua Arpenaz 20 L and there's no way I could fit in all my stuff, plus food and water.

I'd love to see the packing list for this.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's exactly what I was thinking. Though I favour a Triton 40L for the Camino as I think 55L is a bit big.
I am doing day training hikes with a very simple Quechua Arpenaz 20 L and there's no way I could fit in all my stuff, plus food and water.

Yeah, I know that 55 is big for Camino, but I`m using it for few day hikes in our country. Also this bag was only 5 € more expensive than 45+10, so I decided buy this one.

I took a Deuter Actlite 40+10 in 2015, last year an Osprey Talon 33 a very nice comfy pack. This time may take a Talon 22 just so I can take it as cabin luggage. By the way does anyone know if you can take collapsable poles in your onboard bag? I have Black diamond Z poles, cork grips used for many years cabin. If I'm not allowed. Then I will check my luggage/pack in. It's Ryanair.

I took a Deuter Actlite 40+10 in 2015, last year an Osprey Talon 33 a very nice comfy pack. This time may take a Talon 22 just so I can take it as cabin luggage. By the way does anyone know if you can take collapsable poles in your onboard bag? I have Black diamond Z poles, cork grips used for many years cabin. If I'm not allowed. Then I will check my luggage/pack in. It's Ryanair.
Ryanair don't allow trekking poles - I checked for my upcoming flight. They are afraid we may have sword fights in the aisles or threaten a stewardess for an extra glass of water :D:D:D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
.....For the last 6 months I have been training with a 32L Osprey Mira pack. As the weight and items causing the weight have been removed or exchanged for lighter items, I had a lot of empty space

Congrats for making the hard decisions ahead of time. I'm 19 days into the CF and still jetsoning things I don't need.

....I can in no way reach the side pockets ment for water bottles. My pants pockets will hold water bottles

I the same problem and came up with the same solution. Don't bother trying to hang a bottle from a carbiner on your belt, it just swings and gets in your way. I use a plastic collapsible bottle that I can squeeze into the shape of my pocket if I don't fill it too full.
Another trick I learned is to add a little OJ or just sugar from breakfast to my water bottle. It provides a pleasant treat when taking the next swig.

.....Tuesday Hubby and I will walk 5+ miles up a canyon road which matches the elevation change from St Jean to Orisson. /QUOTE]

Excellent idea. The first climb out of SJPDP surprised me with its workout.

Buen Camino!

Jgp

How is possible pack everything what you need to 20L?

No problem, actually. I have a 12 liter pack (Haglöffs Grap Comp 12) that will take my gear, with a little bit of room to spare, if I leave my sleeping bag and my crocs at home. And it's not busting at the seams either.

So what did I leave out? Sleeping bag, crocs, plus a few comfort/luxury items, like my clothes line, my headlamp, my reader, and my camera.

Still have my silk bag liner, two complete sets of clothing (zip-off pants, t-shirt, socks, underwear), a buff, a LS shirt, a fleece, a windbreaker and my rain gear (Ferrino poncho + rain leggings). Still have the essentials of my toilet gear/hygiene kit and a good blister kit. Still have my Swiss army knife and my tomato knife, my water bottle, etc.

The loaded pack is actually surprisingly comfortable, and really contains all of the essentials. Perhaps with a pair of Sockwa G4 shoes ...

No problem, actually. I have a 12 liter pack (Haglöffs Grap Comp 12) that will take my gear, with a little bit of room to spare, if I leave my sleeping bag and my crocs at home. And it's not busting at the seams either.

So what did I leave out? Sleeping bag, crocs, plus a few comfort/luxury items, like my clothes line, my headlamp, my reader, and my camera.

Still have my silk bag liner, two complete sets of clothing (zip-off pants, t-shirt, socks, underwear), a buff, a LS shirt, a fleece, a windbreaker and my rain gear (Ferrino poncho + rain leggings). Still have the essentials of my toilet gear/hygiene kit and a good blister kit. Still have my Swiss army knife and my tomato knife, my water bottle, etc.

The loaded pack is actually surprisingly comfortable, and really contains all of the essentials. Perhaps with a pair of Sockwa G4 shoes ...

Amazing I struggle getting everything into a 30L, my pack is usually 6-7Kg still to heavy but that's my bear minimum.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I have the Tempest and use a regular water bottle and a smart tube(from Amazon) that threads over my shoulder. Works geat. I don't think carrying the bottles in your pockets will be comfortable in the long run.

I don't think carrying the bottles in your pockets will be comfortable in the long run.
As always I would suggest sourcing the opinions of actual users of a system or product.
As a longtime proponent I have found this system to be eminently comfortable. I would always rather carry another kilo + of water in my side pockets than on my back.
Regards
Gerard

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Intruiging....
Fiskars tomato knife (google it), 37 g, plus a "sheath" made of rolled paper.

Perfect for slicing (you'll never guess) tomatoes, bocadillos, etc. plus as an all-purpose kitchen knife. It is guaranteed to be on the packing list for all my future caminos.

We packed poles in checked baggage for easy jet from Bristol as it said online they couldn't go in cabin, but when going thru passport control a guy ahead had poles strapped to sides of his carry on pack and it was ok. I asked the security guy about it, having assumed they weren't allowed in cabin as potentially could be used as weapon( maybe I'm bing too imaginative here!), he replied that so long as the pack with poles attached fitted inside the big plastic trays you load your stuff in to go thru X-ray machine it was fine.
I do wonder tho if every security guy would be consistent on that- too late to check poles in by then. I emailed easy jet before going and am still waiting on a reply. To be safe id sooner check them in, our rucksacks came out very quickly at other end so made hardly any difference checking them in.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've translated most of my packing list into English. (Yes, there is at least one spelling error. "lost" should be "lots")
I've accidentally deleted my 24 gram safety pouch, that I wear around my neck with my money and papers.
Secondary foot wear is not on the list, as I'm still looking for the right items (trending towards what we call "bathing shoes" or Sockwa G4).
Items marked "checked", are mailed ahead "Lista de Correros" to avoid problems with airport security.

ul list.png

I've translated most of my packing list into English. (Yes, there is at least one spelling error. "lost" should be "lots")
I've accidentally deleted my 24 gram safety pouch, that I wear around my neck with my money and papers.
Secondary foot wear is not on the list, as I'm still looking for the right items (trending towards what we call "bathing shoes" or Sockwa G4).
Items marked "checked", are mailed ahead "Lista de Correros" to avoid problems with airport security.

View attachment 34052

That you can get all that packing list into a 20L pack is remarkable, let alone a 12L pack. That is some seriously meticulous planning. Comparing my packing with yours, I can see where the space is saved. I carry an extra windbreaker, bed bug protector sheet, rain trousers, crocs, New Testament, CSJ prayer book Spanish/English, Garmin GPS unit, guide book, headlight, small tablet for internet, shampoo, tiger balm , laundry soap and glide stick. I'm not going to even try to emulate your achievement though as I like to carry at least 2 litres of water plus a couple of tins for a meal. So I'll keep sticking with my Cali for now.

That you can get all that packing list into a 20L pack is remarkable, let alone a 12L pack.
I must admit, that I was slightly amazed as well :cool:, but it works and it works well. I have tried wearing it, when I walk the dog.

On my last camino, where I carried a sleeping bag and a pair of crocs inside the pack, plus a tablet and a camera, I used a 34 liter pack, with plenty of room to spare for food. With the 12 liter pack, there is still some room for food, but not much, and it will have to compete with the "shoes". I'd carry a bocadillo strapped to the outside of the pack (there is provision for that).

I carry an extra windbreaker
Why?

rain trousers
I use rain leggings under a poncho. Better ventilation (no damp crotch :D), weighs less, takes next to no space. Poncho and leggings I carry in the right side pocket. My water bottle in the left one.

New Testament, CSJ prayer book Spanish/English, Garmin GPS unit, guide book, headlight, small tablet for internet
If I were you, I'd get e-book versions of the books (that way you also get a search function) and use the GPS present on most tablets. It's a rare occurrence to need a GPS on the camino, so a dedicated GPS is overkill.

shampoo, laundry soap
My experience is that an old-fashioned soap, in my case "Imperial Leather", is quite adequate for washing both what little there is left of my hair, and my clothes. Should the clothes need more attention, then I can use a washing machine at one of the albergues, e.g. once a week. No big deal. But some "Fel's Naphta" doesn't take up much room.

I like to carry at least 2 litres of water plus a couple of tins for a meal. So I'll keep sticking with my Cali for now.
The water would be a show stopper :(. I think that I _could_ carry a 1,5 liter bottle, but for comfort I would not go above 1 liter. What one could do, it to carry two half liter bottles on the straps - one on each. Haglöfs does carry bottle holder for that exact purpose, but a simple loop from the strap around the neck of the bottle and some elastic cord to keep it from dangling will do the trick.
I don't think some sardine tins would be a problem, as long as they don't rub against the pack (the fabric is _thin_!);). What is important for me, is that there _is_ room for a large tomato and some jamon and perhaps some sliced cheese or sausage, and with the bocadillo strapped to the outside, I'm good to go.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I must admit, that I was slightly amazed as well :cool:, but it works and it works well. I have tried wearing it, when I walk the dog.

On my last camino, where I carried a sleeping bag and a pair of crocs inside the pack, plus a tablet and a camera, I used a 34 liter pack, with plenty of room to spare for food. With the 12 liter pack, there is still some room for food, but not much, and it will have to compete with the "shoes". I'd carry a bocadillo strapped to the outside of the pack (there is provision for that).

Why?

I use rain leggings under a poncho. Better ventilation (no damp crotch :D), weighs less, takes next to no space. Poncho and leggings I carry in the right side pocket. My water bottle in the left one.

If I were you, I'd get e-book versions of the books (that way you also get a search function) and use the GPS present on most tablets. It's a rare occurrence to need a GPS on the camino, so a dedicated GPS is overkill.

My experience is that an old-fashioned soap, in my case "Imperial Leather", is quite adequate for washing both what little there is left of my hair, and my clothes. Should the clothes need more attention, then I can use a washing machine at one of the albergues, e.g. once a week. No big deal. But some "Fel's Naphta" doesn't take up much room.

The water would be a show stopper :(. I think that I _could_ carry a 1,5 liter bottle, but for comfort I would not go above 1 liter. What one could do, it to carry two half liter bottles on the straps - one on each. Haglöfs does carry bottle holder for that exact purpose, but a simple loop from the strap around the neck of the bottle and some elastic cord to keep it from dangling will do the trick.
I don't think some sardine tins would be a problem, as long as they don't rub against the pack (the fabric is _thin_!);). What is important for me, is that there _is_ room for a large tomato and some jamon and perhaps some sliced cheese or sausage, and with the bocadillo strapped to the outside, I'm good to go.

Some of this makes a great deal of sense and is clearly VERY well thought out. I think a lot of it also depends on which Camino and the time of year too. For instance, I wouldn't like to attach a bocadillo to the outside of my pack in summer. I like to keep food that is perishable or has been opened in the most central part of my pack.

I use a windbreaker sparingly and I must admit on my last Camino I only used it twice. However, living in Hong Kong, by the time the summer and my Camino comes, I am already well used to day time temperatures at about 33-34 C and minimum night time temperatures at 27 C. This is pretty warm so even in summer occasionally I have felt very cold in the mornings on the Camino and in the mountains I would have been lost without it and a rain jacket over it. It doesn't take up much extra room either.

I agree about the books, though I would then put them onto a kindle, if I could get hold of the kindle edition of the CSJ book. But these two essentials are small and light anyway. A Garmin gps Dakota 20 is handy for distances and the bigger towns / cities at the end of a day, but yes, definitely not really necessary.

I have never heard of rain leggings and to be honest, I've always thought leggings were the kind of things only ladies wore. But again, rain trousers take up minimal room when packed tight. I would also like to keep these for my next Camino as I'll be on the Primitivo this summer and I'd guess there's a greater chance of rain than on the Frances.

Imperial Leather...that used to be a really good soap, but the Imperial Leather we get here is made in Indonesia, and lasts for about 4 showers. It just disappears so fast for some reason. perhaps the one in Spain uses the original formula. I'll check that out in the summer. Nice tip.

Less than 2 litres of water at the start of the day is a non-starter. I got kidney stones through not drinking enough water some years ago and I never want to be in that agonising position again.

Enjoy your jamon, sausage, cheese and tomato with your Fiskars tomato knife. There's nothing better than a slow Camino with time to rest up, eat and drink while watching the bed chasers race by.

I think a lot of it also depends on which Camino and the time of year too.
Indeed. This list is reduced from my last little walk, April 23rd to May 2nd, so pretty much a summer list (late spring to early autumn). The list has been refined over several times.

And please note that walking without a sleeping bag, often will require you to use a blanket at the albergues, which is not always possible at the public ones, but usually is at the privados.

I wouldn't like to attach a bocadillo to the outside of my pack in summer. I like to keep food that is perishable or has been opened in the most central part of my pack.
Just attaching it to the outside more or less leaves you with a stick. May be useful for driving in tent pegs, but not for consumption. Been there, done that and my next meal was sorely disappointing. It needs to be wrapped in something and inside a couple of those plastic bags you get just about every time you buy something.

I use a windbreaker sparingly
I used mine a lot when in Muxia and Fisterre. I was questioning why you carry an extra windbreaker, which I interpreted as two windbreakers.

handy for distances and the bigger towns / cities at the end of a day, but yes, definitely not really necessary.
I used my tablet for that. Twice on my last trip. Once was when I went in the wrong direction coming out of the bus terminal in Ferrol (slightly twisty, turvy) and the second time was when we walked past a turn in the woods shortly after Sigüero. Took a little break adjusting the socks, while the GPS acquired the position (positioning is usually off), and we were back on the track ten minutes after that.

I have never heard of rain leggings
My bad. They are called "rain chaps" by some "rain legs" by others, not leggings: https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/rain-chaps/ They work real well with a poncho, but not very well with short rain jackets.
regnben.jpg

Imperial Leather...that used to be a really good soap
The version we get here in Denmark will last through several weeks of "hard" use.

Enjoy your jamon, sausage, cheese and tomato with your Fiskars tomato knife. There's nothing better than a slow Camino with time to rest up, eat and drink while watching the bed chasers race by.
Thank you, kind Sir. I do enjoy my little breaks. My first camino was coming out of France, so I carried a cook kit and took tea breaks whenever I felt like it. Quite relaxing (and I never had problems getting a bed). Now I prefer doing it the Spanish way - a nice del dia, while watching .. - and the bocadillo is usually for breakfast and evening.

My bad. They are called "rain chaps" by some "rain legs" by others, not leggings: https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/rain-chaps/ They work real well with a poncho, but not very well with short rain jackets.
View attachment 34080

They look brilliant. I'll have to check to see if they sell them in my local outdoor store.
On a side note, the prices of ponchos are amazing on that website. I'd never have thought what looks like a simple poncho could cost $175 US.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They look brilliant. I'll have to check to see if they sell them in my local outdoor store.
Mine are from Zpacks, but have been discontinued. I can put mine on while wearing my boots, and clip them to my belt loops. Be aware that there _are_ some brands that require the user to remove the boots first (bad design).

On a side note, the prices of ponchos are amazing on that website. I'd never have thought what looks like a simple poncho could cost $175 US.
Quite unrealistic in my eyes, but some of the UL-people must have found a way to grow money on trees :rolleyes:

"Ryanair don't allow trekking poles"

Apart from those times they do . . . surrendered my poles to security at Santiago and was astounded to see a lady walk onto the plane with her (extended) hiking pole. Didn't have a chance to ask how she managed it though - personally wouldn't chance it.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.