• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Changing trains going from Paris to Bayonne - 10 minutes??

Karen Manske

Karen
Time of past OR future Camino
(May 2018)
My husband and I are flying to Paris on April 16 to begin our first Camino. We've booked train tix from CGD to Bayonne, but I'm nervous about the train change listed with only 10 minutes. We don't speak French. Any tips for helping us successfully complete the train switch?
THANKS!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Stay in the station! Look for slightly nervous looking people with rucksacks. Go and stand next to them. If you are in the wrong place a nice French person will shout at you, point and shrug ;)

Actually this advice might still be incorrect as of April 16. You may find that you will be on a bus replacing the rail service in which case you need to go to the front of the station, look for slightly nervous looking people with rucksacks......

You'll be fine. You'll probably have started your camino family on the train to Bayonne.

Stay in the station! Look for slightly nervous looking people with rucksacks. Go and stand next to them. If you are in the wrong place a nice French person will shout at you, point and shrug ;)

Actually this advice might still be incorrect as of April 16. You may find that you will be on a bus replacing the rail service in which case you need to go to the front of the station, look for slightly nervous looking people with rucksacks......

You'll be fine. You'll probably have started your camino family on the train to Bayonne.

Love your answer! Made me smile...and remember to go with the flow. Thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The Bayonne station is small and the staff are helpful and used to tourists as well as pilgrims. Multiple video screens throughout the station display arrivals/departures as does a large board in lobby. Show your ticket to any rr employee and they will point you to the correct track.

The adjacent station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; if you have time to spare relax and have a drink or simple meal.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The Bayonne station is small and the staff are helpful and used to tourists as well as pilgrims. Multiple video screens throughout the station display arrivals/departures as does a large board in lobby. Show your ticket to any rr employee and they will point you to the correct track.

The adjacent station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; if you have time to spare relax and have a drink or simple meal.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

Thank you!! I'm less anxious about Bayonne, but this is good to know! The 10 minutes for a train change in Bordeaux seemed tight...but it'll be a first step in going with the flow, right? :)

Last edited:
Bordeaux is not a big station either. I guess you just will have to cross over the platform to the next train.
About Bayonne why not buy a ticket online to St Jean Pied de Port as well so that you don't have to use the ticketmachine to get one. Often a lot of pilgrims at the same time with the same purpose.Even if there is a bus instead of the train you can use the same ticket.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My son and I had to change from a local train to a bus, and I asked if the SNCF woman spoke english (pardon madame! Parlez vous anglais?), and got a "non." in reply. So I showed her our ticket and the bus number and asked in my very bad french where we should go. She rattled of a number of sentences, and turned her back to me. My son asked me if I understood her. I told him that I understood the first few sentences. I told him "We go down the stairs, turn left and then.... well, I'll ask another person." Then a man came up and asked us if we were pilgrims, I said "Oui, certainment." I mean-- we had packs, shells, hats and walking sticks. He looked at our tickets and then walked us to the right bus (three blocks away in a row of 10 busses), and wished us a Bon Chemin. -- So you'll be fine! People are wonderful.

Last edited:
If the TER #62 train is running, the Bayonne conductors typically hold the departure until the Paris TGV arrives and the passengers can disembark. They are aware of the TGV arrival time. Also, they know what to look for to spot likely pilgrims...the look is sort of obvious...;)

If the #62 TER train is not running (I heard about the subsidence report) the buses will be laid on nearby...or kind of, sort of nearby. The immediate post above has the key sentence..."and walked us to the right bus (three blocks away in a row of 10 buses)..."

Or, you might try this, in your best French accent:

"Pardon. Où est le bus pour Saint Jean pied de port? Merci."

("Pahr-done. Ooh aa leh bus pouhr Saint Zhean pee-ehd dee port? Mehr-cee.") phonetic, sort of...

"Pardon me. Where is the bus to Saint Jean Pied de Port? Thank you."

Hope this helps.

Or, you might try this, in your best French accent:

"Pardon. Où est le bus pour Saint Jean pied de port? Merci."

There is no need to speak in a complete, grammatically correct sentence. You need only to speak the destination and the "polite" words. This works in any language. For example:

"Pardon. Saint Jean pied de port? Merci."

You don't need to understand the answer in French, but will likely be pointed to the right direction.

All train station have a HUGE electronic sign with destination and track numbers. You can't miss it!

You will not likely be the only English speaker, or person wearing a backpack headed to St. Jean. Make a new friend on the train for help.

-Paul

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back