Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chantada is the Invierno’s Sarria

peregrina2000

Staff member
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You're right, Laurie: starting in Chantada misses all the best parts of this camino.

Interesting, when the 100km marker is actually near Diamondi. Of course, there's no stamp there nor anything much at all, let alone ease of access - which defeats the promotional agenda of the Xunta of getting as many feet on the ground as possible.
(In 2020, they will be 'promoting' the Invierno, which is intrresting considering the ongoing challenges posed by absence of albergue infrastructure.
From http://caminodeinvierno.es/ :
"El Camino de Invierno se acondicionará entre el 2017 y el 2019 y se promocionará en el 2020. Según el Plan Director de la Xunta de Galicia.")

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Interesting, when the 100km marker is actually near Diamondi. Of course, there's no stamp there nor anything much at all, let alone ease of access - which defeats the promotional agenda of the Xunta of getting as many feet on the ground as possible.

Yes, I thought I remembered seeing a 100 km marker there, but I wasn’t sure. But actually, if you add up the stages as we have them in the guide, it is 103 km from Chantada.
Chantada - Rodeiro 25.8
Rodeiro-Laxe 27.2
Laxe-Outeiro 34.1
Outeiro - Santiago 16.7

And I had not seen that bit about 2020 promotion, that will certainly be interesting. Another good reason to get the guide done and out there!

Monteforte to Chantada is 30 km so I can see many chopping off a day. But is Chantada easier to get to? Buses might not stop there
Just did a quick Monbus check. Monforte is much bigger, so I’m sure there are better options, but there are two buses a day from Ourense to Chantada and five or six from Lugo, so it is certainly accessible.

Stupid decision, but I also understand there is no way to shorten Monforte-Chantada, since there are no albergues in between whatsoever. A true pity...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Stupid decision, but I also understand there is no way to shorten Monforte-Chantada, since there are no albergues in between whatsoever. A true pity...
Another instance of shooting self in proverbial foot. There is an empty school right near Torre Vilariño (about halfway) that had been planned for an Albergue. Neighbors have sued and all is tied up in court.

This is the majon just before Diomondi. It’s hard to read but it says 100.3
View attachment 61055
This is the majon beside the shelter just as you leave the road at Diomondi and start the descent. It reads 100 but interestingly it looks like it was blank and 100 was written in.
View attachment 61054
The mojón (not majon) is clearly wrong. After you cross over the bridge you'll find another one (the few that actually have any kms on them) telling you that it's still over 100. According to the Gronze guide, there are just over 103 kms from Chantada to Santiago.

Somebody is telling porky pies in Diomondi then!

The mojón (not majon) is clearly wrong. After you cross over the bridge you'll find another one (the few that actually have any kms on them) telling you that it's still over 100. According to the Gronze guide, there are just over 103 kms from Chantada to Santiago.

Yes I know it's missing the accent :) but my ancient computer won't let me use diacritics!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The mojón is clearly wrong.
Maybe, maybe not.
Who knows. Gronze and the mojón down the hill could be just as easily be the inaccurate ones. The distances I've seen quoted various places on this camino are all over the map. And that precious 100.00 distance would be one worth selling wee porky pies for.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe, maybe not.
Who knows. Gronze and the mojón down the hill could be just as easily be the inaccurate ones. The distances I've seen quoted various places on this camino are all over the map. And that precious 100.00 distance would be one worth selling wee porky pies for.
Oh well, I'll just have to walk it yet again to check out the exact distances. And to see how much road walking there is. And to check out all the bars! KinkyOne: are you up for a bar crawl from Ponferrada?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh well, I'll just have to walk it yet again to check out the exact distances. And to see how much road walking there is. And to check out all the bars! KinkyOne: are you up for a bar crawl from Ponferrada?
Just say when :D :D :D
But I doubt in accuracy of distances we would measure ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back