• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chaos at UK airports

The security alert at UK airports today shows how necessary it is to leave at least a spare day in the UK if travelling with Ryanair or EasyJet on from the UK to Spain or France.

If you are delayed or Ryanair cancel your ticket they have no responsibility for the other more expensive legs of your journey which you have bought and paid for with them or other carriers.

William

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There aren't that many problems with Monarch flights to Spain.

To be frank, I don't think that the disruption today will last too long and won't have too many long term effects... I hope... Especially as I'm off to Spain tomorrow night!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all

Has anybody got any information on how things are going at London aiports now?

I'm flying in to Stansted on 31 Aug for an ongoing flight to Biarritz.

Is the chaos dying down?

I've also seen that on the ryanair site and airport site that you are now allowed a small carryon piece of luggage. Has anybody been through Stansted in the last few days and seen if they are actually applying this?

Thanks
:D

John

John -

This is the latest advice from the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk) regarding Stanstead.

"Only one item of hand baggage is permitted to be carried, no larger than a small laptop bag. Check with operator before travelling. Allow extra check in time.

Last updated: 22nd August 2006 at 19:36, started: 10th August 2006, ending: 23rd August 2006"

David

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thankyou for bringing this to my attention David.

I want to be able to post photos to my blog while I'm away but would be tempted to leave the camera at home if I had to check it into the hold in soft backpack.

:D
John

see Stansted airport site for current status. The baggage restrictions apply to all UK airports, not just STN. London airports, particularly LHR, were most affected by cancellations and delays, but flight times should now be back to normal. Restrictions are likely to remain in force for some time.

And there are additional checks for flights to the US from the UK; allow plenty of time for these.

I am flying via Heathrow tomorrow and nearly all the flights are at present on schedule there.

If the link on Peter's post does not work the current hand baggage and other restrictions are as follows:

"Customers travelling from or through a UK airport are asked to ensure they comply with the new hand baggage restrictions, put in place by the UK government, to prevent delays at airport security search points.

Before leaving for the airport:
All customers are strongly encouraged to update their bookings with contact details so that they can be contacted if necessary.

Customers are also advised to check in online to help reduce queues at the airport. If you have checked in online and have baggage to check into the hold, simply go to the fast-bag drop when you arrive at the airport.

Customers checking in at UK airports are asked not to arrive before their flight opens for check in to help prevent further congestion at the airport. This is three hours before departure for longhaul flights and two and a half hours for shorthaul flights.

All customers are asked to ensure they have sufficient time to clear security as this is taking longer than normal due to the additional checks.

If you are travelling to the USA you should provide your Advance Passenger Information before arriving at the airport.

At the airport:
If your cabin bag exceeds the new dimensions or contains prohibited items, you will be asked to repack it or check it into the hold. This may cause you an unnecessary delay.

If you have large electrical goods (eg laptops, digital cameras etc) in your hand baggage, please ensure these are easily accessible as you will be required to remove them for x-ray screening.

Hand baggage restrictions:
Customers are advised to check this information regularly before they travel to ensure they have the very latest information. These restrictions were last updated on 21 August 2006

Customers departing from the UK (including customers transferring through the UK):
Customers travelling from the UK will be able to take on board as hand baggage one cabin bag no bigger than 45cm x 35cm x 16cm, the size of a small laptop bag, inclusive of wheels and handles

Cabin baggage MUST NOT contain:
Any cosmetics
Any toiletries
Any liquids
Any drinks
Cigarette lighters (Cigarette lighters may not be checked into the hold. They can be purchased airside and disposed of before boarding a flight)
Items previously prohibted in cabin baggage, such as sharp objects, should not be carried onboard.

Cabin baggage CAN contain the following:
Electronic equipment, including laptops, mobile phones, digital cameras and portable music and DVD players
Essential prescribed medicines in liquid form provided they are under 50ml. Customers will be asked to taste the liquid. If they cannot taste the liquid for any reason they will be asked to go to an airport pharmacy to have the medicine verified.
Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle MUST be tasted by the parent)

Other items normally carried in cabin baggage, such as books and essential items for the flight, as long as they fit into a bag no bigger than specified above.

Nothing must be carried in pockets.

Please ensure that you do not check into the hold any essential items such as:
· Household and car keys (including electric key fobs)
· Travel documents including passport and itinerary and any important contact details
· Essential medicines for the journey
· Wallets or pocket size purses

To help progress through the airport all customers are encouraged not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, flasks, cans etc.) in either their hand or checked baggage.

All electronic equipment will need to be removed from the item of hand baggage and screened separately. We recommend these items be packed carefully for easy removal at the security search point.

Pushchairs and walking aids will be permitted but must be x-ray screened.

Customers may purchase any item in any store in the departure lounge before departing their final UK airport and take onto the aircraft as normal, unless they are travelling to the USA.

Extra restrictions are in place for customers travelling to the USA from the UK. Customers WILL NOT be permitted to take any liquid or gel items purchased in the departures lounge into the aircraft cabin. All food or beverage items must be consumed before boarding.

#Customers transferring through the UK will be subject to the same hand baggage size restrictions as those originating their travel in the UK. If you arrive into the UK to connect with a flight (irrespective of original carrier), with more than one laptop size bag (45cm x 35cm x 16cm), you may be refused travel. Customers transferring through a UK airport onto another flight must not buy any of the prohibited items such as cosmetics or toiletries until they have been cleared through security at their final departure from a UK airport."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back