• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Charged twice in Triacastella for the same item.

aquila mccann

Time of past OR future Camino
Past
Does anybody know the phone number for the Pilgrim shop in Tricastella in Spain? I was charged twice for the same item. I bought a pair of shoes which cost 29.99. I was asked to tap my card twice as she obviously pretended that the transaction did not go through the first time when it did.it As I tapped my card onto the machine for the second time, I was charged again to the amount of 60.00 euro. It i was insanely dishonest.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does anybody know the phone number for the Pilgrim shop in Tricastella in Spain? I was charged twice for the same item. I bought a pair of shoes which cost 29.99. I was asked to tap my card twice as she obviously pretended that the transaction did not go through the first time when it did.it As I tapped my card onto the machine for the second time, I was charged again to the amount of 60.00 euro. It i was insanely dishonest.
Is there a name on your receipt or bill?
If not can you locate the shop on Google maps?

I was asked to tap my card twice as she obviously pretended that the transaction did not go through the first time when it did.it As I tapped my card onto the machine for the second time, I was charged again to the amount of 60.00 euro. It i was insanely dishonest.
Or might it have been a simple honest mistake on her part and wasn't insane at all?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If that happened to me I would immediately report all pertinent details to my card issuer, and request the second charge be denied / reversed. It is important to keep accurate, detailed records, including e.g. dates and times, of the transactions and the request to the card issuer to reverse the duplicate transaction.

Be aware, though, that if the card issuer somehow concluded that a fraud (as opposed to an error) had occurred, the card issuer might cancel the card.

A cancelled card might create severe problems paying for future expenses whilst on the trip, especially if one does not have a backup card(s) issued by a different financial institution(s).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use Revolut on my iPhone & get an immediate confirmation that the charge has gone through.

I would give her the benefit of the doubt rather than say it was dishonest.
Spain isn't the USA.
People there are still pretty honest - unlike many in my own country.

Also, the "tapping" stuff is fairly new, the internet could have been slow, and she probably didn't realize it had gone through.
Just call your bank or card company - you are protected.
I wouldn't bother calling the shop. Your bank can take care of it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can you dispute the charges with your credit card company? If this is a habit they will know.

So, the lesson learned is not to tap your card but to insert it in the shoe and use your PIN number.
Unhelpful
Actually, I found that piece of information to be quite interesting and helpful, as something to be aware of anywhere but especially when traveling. (However, maybe I would say it wasn't the lesson learned, as I think a more important lesson is about not assuming the worst in people.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would just dispute the transaction via the credit card provider. That is the standard process l, the easiest and the best.

The merchant won’t be able to prove that they sold you the item twice. So depending on what CC you used, you sooner or later will get your money back. Amex sooner, MC or Visa later.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Note the strikethroughs above. You have no way of proving the store stole from you. Yes, being double charged is annoying, but it's fixable.

Have to say I'm not a fan of forum members slandering local businesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
My phone makes a particular sound when the charge goes through, and immediately shows it. So if someone asks me to "tap again" I can check.

Unfortunately, it looks like this poster just wanted to vent, and was not really seeking information or advice. She posted this thread at 11:32 PM yesterday, and has not been seen on the Forum since 11:37 PM, before even the first response was posted. She had a grievance -- probably misplaced -- and obviously just wanted to let the world know about it.

Of course, the advice given by others above is useful to people who have also been double-charged. Too bad the original poster doesn't seem to be drawing any beneift.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, some people might not be aware that you don't have to tap. You can always choose to put your card in the machine and use your pin.
I never knew this.
I have occasionally been asked to tap twice because the machine didn't respond to the first tap.

So, the lesson learned is not to tap your card but to insert it in the shoe and use your PIN number.
Jeff, I thought you were possibly joking (being the clever punner that you often are). In the US I have never heard a credit card slot called a "shoe" before, and the OP had purchased a pair of shoes.😅

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unfortunately, it looks like this poster just wanted to vent, and was not really seeking information or advice. She posted this thread at 11:32 PM yesterday, and has not been seen on the Forum since 11:37 PM, before even the first response was posted. She had a grievance -- probably misplaced -- and obviously just wanted to let the world know about it.

Of course, the advice given by others above is useful to people who have also been double-charged. Too bad the original poster doesn't seem to be drawing any beneift.
We can't assume OPer is not interested in replies; while travelling some of us save battery by turning off phones or going to flight mode.

I never knew this.
I have occasionally been asked to tap twice because the machine didn't respond to the first tap.

Jeff, I thought you were possibly joking (being the clever punner that you often are). In the US I have never heard a credit card slot called a "shoe" before, and the OP had purchased a pair of shoes.😅
Too deep for me, Chrissy! A French friend calls the wireless card readers "sabots" from the French for a wooden clog. Must have picked it up from her.

She posted this thread at 11:32 PM yesterday, and has not been seen on the Forum since 11:37 PM, before even the first response was posted
Just for info: the time that you see as the time of a comment being posted is your local time. The poster made the comment at 8:32 am yesterday (Saturday) in Triacastela/Spain. The poster may well never come back; numerous replies will still be useful for others.

I note that the poster is from Ireland. He/she may not have paid with a credit card but with a bank card (debit card). In this case, there may be no mechanisms to undo an erroneous double payment - I certainly don't know of such a possibility with my bank while I do know that I can revoke my credit card payments when faulty or fraudulent - and it may well be useful to obtain a phone number and contact the shop directly if the phone number is not printed on the receipt.

I, too, had a look and cannot see a "pilgrim shop" in Triacastela. It may have been a shop that sells other goods than pilgrim specific goods. Without further info from the poster, it will not be possible to provide any further pertinent help for this purchase and payment.

Oh, btw, Aquila is Latin for eagle and so I assumed that the poster is male and not female. We all make assumptions of all sorts ... 😎

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Despite the fact that tapping is a prevalent and accepted mode of payment these days, the issue shared by the OP can also arise when entering the card and PIN number.
Or it could (shock, horror) actually be an intentional act of dishonesty on the part of the seller.
Combine the above with the tone of your comment and it would be no surprise if it had an antagonistic effect, especially given the aggrieved nature of the original share.

Pretty sure the OP was looking to vent and for empathy, compassion, understanding, not a cold reproach and dismissal.

So at the very least, "unhelpful".

Indeed. I was told by my bank security people that tapping was a problem after my card was hacked a few years ago. On their recommendation I disabled tapping and only insert with PIN now.
You were misinformed.

Contactless payment methods use near field communication (NFC) technology that enables consumers to make purchases using an NFC-enabled EMV chip card, or a payment-enabled device such as a mobile phone, at the point of sale without having physical contact with the payment terminal. Contactless payment technology has been in existence since the 1990s, but its use was mostly limited to Europe and parts of Asia for many years. The U.S. has been slow to adopt contactless payments, partly because merchants needed to have the right NFC technology in place in order to accept contactless payments. But perhaps the biggest reason why U.S. consumers haven’t fully embraced the idea of using contactless payment devices is because of safety concerns.

Consumers worry that since EMV cards and payment-enabled devices do not require a PIN entry or signature, their data can be intercepted at a contactless point-of-sale (POS) terminal. But magnetic stripe cards are actually more vulnerable because hackers lurking nearby can use handheld ultra-high frequency devices to automatically detect and steal electronically stored card information. The range within which these devices can read card data varies, but the device typically needs to be only a few feet away from the card.

By contrast, contactless transactions are very secure. Contactless technology is designed to greatly reduce the chance of data interception by limiting the signal range between the payment device and an NFC-enabled POS terminal to only one to two inches. This makes it nearly impossible for a hacker to get close enough to the POS terminal to intercept the card data.

But NFC technology is only part of the contactless picture. Additional layers of security built into NFC payment devices and the payment processing system itself all work together to protect card data during contactless transactions. Here are some examples.

• EMV “chip card” authentication – EMV cards contain a small computerized microchip that stores data used to transfer information to an EMV-enabled POS device. Each time a customer uses an EMV card, the microchip creates a unique, one-time security code specific to that transaction, and sends it to the POS device to authenticate the transaction. The code changes every time the EMV card is used, so even if a hacker intercepts the code, it cannot be used for another transaction.
  • Point-to-point encryption (P2PE) – P2PE technology uses a combination of complex algorithms, hardware, software applications, and secure devices to encrypt card data as it moves from a POS terminal through the merchant’s processing system and protect it from theft.
  • Tokenization – The tokenization process uses a unique, randomly-generated code called a “token” to replace payment card data used to process the transaction. Because the customer’s actual card data never moves through the merchant’s processing system, sensitive cardholder information is not exposed and remains safe from hackers. And even if a hacker somehow captured token information, it would be worthless because it contains no cardholder data.
Convenience, safety, device flexibility, and consumer expectations are shaping the future of payment technology, and contactless payments will continue to be a large part of the trend

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But magnetic stripe cards are actually more vulnerable because hackers lurking nearby can use handheld ultra-high frequency devices to automatically detect and steal electronically stored card information.
I don't think anyone in Europe has magnetic stripe cards any more.

The main issue I have with contactless payments is they are not verified in any way, so if someone gets your card they can easily spend money without PIN or signature.

I am not sure how to read this.
Were you charged rightfully 29.99 the first time, and 60 euros the second time? Or 60 euros in total?

You don't mention where you are now. If you are still on the Camino, might it be worth the while to go back to the store and sort it out? This is probably more effective than giving them a call.
Or, if you want to start at the other end, contact your bank or the credit card company. You won't be the first person who was charged twice within the minute at the same outlet.

The main issue I have with contactless payments is they are not verified in any way, so if someone gets your card they can easily spend money without PIN or signature.
This will be different from country to country but in my case and with my bank, the limits are €50 per contactless payment and €100 for consecutive contactless payments. Whenever one of these limits is reached the PIN number must be entered for the contactless payment to go through.

During my long lifetime, I and family members have managed to loose a card or have it stolen. The card disappeared with the wallet in which it was stored. The cash stored in the wallet that disappeared with it was often more than €100 (actual sum or equivalent when it happened decades ago). I had the contactless payment function enabled when Covid-19 came along and have not regretted using it since. Also, I now have a lot less cash in my wallet. So, the risk of loss appears to be the same as it has always been. :cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This will be different from country to country but in my case and with my bank, the limits are €50 per contactless payment and €100 for consecutive contactless payments. Whenever one of these limits is reached the PIN number must be entered for the contactless payment to go through.

During my long lifetime, I and family members have managed to loose a card or have it stolen. The card disappeared with the wallet in which it was stored. The cash stored in the wallet that disappeared with it was often more than €100 (actual sum or equivalent when it happened decades ago). I had the contactless payment function enabled when Covid-19 came along and have not regretted using it since. Also, I now have a lot less cash in my wallet. So, the risk of loss appears to be the same as it has always been. :cool:
But that's €100 every day, right?

I don't think anyone in Europe has magnetic stripe cards any more.

That's true that magnetic strip cards are close to obsolete.

In relation to risks with contactless payment even with a lost or stolen card, the total possible fraud amount would be negligible.

In many countries where small amounts of contactless transactions are authorized, the number of contactless transactions that can be made in a row with a contactless EMV card is limited.

After a certain number of transactions, a reset with chip and PIN in contact mode is required, or the card will automatically stop functioning in contactless mode.

And most importantly, when a contactless card is reported lost or stolen, the issuing bank will cover the small amounts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But you can only make a limited number of contactless payments before it requires a pin (used to be 3,maybe 5). This is not per day. (at least from my bank/credit card provider)
So, do you mean that every 3 payments you have to enter your pin?

I think I have only once been required to put in my PIN when making a contactless payment.

As I tapped my card onto the machine for the second time, I was charged again to the amount of 60.00 euro.

Were you charged rightfully 29.99 the first time, and 60 euros the second time? Or 60 euros in total?

Ah, good thinking, @MinaKamina ☺️. So, most likely 2 x €29.99 ≈ €60 was charged and paid, whether due to error or fraud, and the OP walked out of the tienda with a pair of newly acquired shoes in his hands or on his feet and the disputed amount is ≈ €30 and not ≈ €60, as the inattentive reader might assume.

The unexpected turns that this thread takes ... :cool:

PS: The net says that the current limit for a single contactless payment in both Ireland and Spain is €50.

Last edited:
But you can only make a limited number of contactless payments before it requires a pin (used to be 3,maybe 5). This is not per day. (at least from my bank/credit card provider)
Correct. Throughout the EU (and presumably also in the UK) the cumulative limits set by the banking authorities for low-value contactless transactions is 5 successive transactions / 150 EUR without SCA (strong customer authentication, i.e. PIN or similar).

Your card issuer and/or you as the card holder can set lower limits.

Correct. Throughout the EU (and presumably also in the UK) the cumulative limits set by the banking authorities for low-value contactless transactions is 5 successive transactions / 150 EUR without SCA (strong customer authentication, i.e. PIN or similar).

Your card issuer and/or you as the card holder can set lower limits.
Is that without any time limit? I'm pretty sure none of my cards actually does this - UK, Irish and N26 (available EU-wide but German IBAN). Or does it reset if you do a transaction with a PIN in between? I don't do a lot of contactless payments.

Is that without any time limit? I'm pretty sure none of my cards actually does this - UK, Irish and N26 (available EU-wide but German IBAN). Or does it reset if you do a transaction with a PIN in between? I don't do a lot of contactless payments.
It resets whenever you do a PIN transaction

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back