• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chargers

5Vincent

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk in 2018
I'm excited to be starting the Camino Frances in just under a fortnight.

I'm not sure whether I should invest in a solar charger. Is it easy to charge your phone at the hostels?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
a solar charger with a built in battery bank is easier left in a socket in ther hostel overnight, so as the mobile itself wont get stolen. If solar charger gets stolen it it cheaper to replace than the phone itself...
-hung on the rucksack the solar will charge again over an entire day, whereas a solar panel without battery bank does not provide sufficient to charge the mobile itselt, I have found.
More frequent now, newer hostel have outlets near to your bed and usually supply is sufficient...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you only use your cell phone in an emergency and for the rest as the first pilgrims used it, then you do not need extra chargers or batteries :)

It is easy to charge your phone in the albergues. However, you should always keep it in sight. A solar charger is not needed. Instead you can take a power bank that you charge at the albergue. Being less expensive than your phone, it is less of a risk to leave unattended, although that is still not a good idea. Take a charger with at least two USB ports so you can share the outlet or charge both your phone and power bank at the same time. During the day, if your phone battery runs low, you can plug in your charged power bank.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My own experience is that solar chargers are a waste of time. Get a USB charger with at least two sockets (so you can share) and a European plug plus a decent power bank as a back up. Ultreïa

I thought about a solar charger before my Camino. There is certainly enough sun in the summer months! But in the end we went with a small multi-USB port power unit (As tomnorth suggests) and it did fine for us. It was lighter and less bulky and, as you will discover, that is an important factor on a camino. It does, however, make you value the albergues with the outlets next to the beds.

Rather than a solar charger i would take a power bank. They're small, cheap, and you can leave it charging without worrying about losing an expensive phone and then charge your phone from the power bank.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Most albergues have enough outlets. I suggest bringing a small multi-USB port power unit so that you can share an outlet.
This worked for me as some alburgues do not have enough power points for everyone. If you have a small powerbank that will get you thru when you can not charge for some reason. I personally am not a fan of extra things hanging from my backpack and the solar option may not be so effective if it rains for a week. YMMV.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back