• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Charging electronics

Travel Diva

The first part of the Camino (SJPP to Logrono) we used a English travel company and they moved our bags and we stayed in hotels. This leg of the Camino I am going to walk from Logrono to Leon carrying my own stuff and staying at Alburges. I have some electronics, my old iphone and camera charger, how easy is to find a wall socket to charge in Albergues, what is the right etiquette? How safe is to walk away if you leave it in a different room, in terms of security. I have a sick father at home and he is not doing well, so I need to check my email once a day to make sure all is well at home so its important that I keep my electronics charged. Any insight would be appreciated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are outlets; sometimes many, sometimes few. The etiquette is to vacate the plug when charging is done. It is wise to sit next to your device while it is charging. Unattended devices have been known to disappear.

Thanks very much, this answer helps me a lot and plan my days and hours to get things done without losing my electronics as it would be a terrible timing to lose my emergency phone in the middle of the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bought a double extension plug in Pamplona. Then, if there was a power point, I always had one.
Many unattended devices have been known to disappear. Read a book, plan tomorrows journey, don't let them out of your sight.

I bought a 12000mah external battery pack and charged it instead of my phone/camera. It means I can charge stuff while walking and devices aren't left unattended. I figured that a black battery pack isn't that appealing as a target for theft as a phone or camera would be. I dont really have any worries about leaving it on its own.

They are very cheap and mine uses the same charger as my phone (Samsung) so have the option of charging directly from socket in hotels. I've also got power whenever I need it too. I get about 6-8 full charges from it. It came with a range of cables but if your device can be charged from a USB it should accept anything.

Maybe the safest option to recharge your electronic gadgets is to do that somewhere near the hospitalero place (like "reception desk") if he/she will be there for the time of recharging. Of course needless to say it's nice to ask the hospitalero for that. But overall - gerard carey's advice to do something you would do anyway that day while recharging your device is the simplest.

Ultreia!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most of you have probably have figured this out already, but remember that if you're coming from the US/Canada, you will need a plug adaptor. They are very cheap and don't weigh much. I always carry several of them because I inevitably find that I have pulled the device out of the plug and left the adaptor plugged in, and of course I don't realize it till I am many kms away from that plug. And finding cheap little plug adaptors along the Camino can be an expensive and difficult proposition.

You can always try to charge your phone where you´re having a well earned beer after a hard day´s walk. Just ask them if you can, there isn´t usually any problem . That way you can keep an eye on your phone, relax & enjoy your beer all at the same time.;)

Buen Camino!

You can always try to charge your phone where you´re having a well earned beer after a hard day´s walk. Just ask them if you can, there isn´t usually any problem . That way you can keep an eye on your phone, relax & enjoy your beer all at the same time.;)

Buen Camino!
That will be my plan. Hate to HAVE to stop for a beer but a guy has to do what a guy has to do.....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
thanks all for your advise, they are all great. I just one US-Canada adapter, maybe I´ll get another one if I can find it. I will not walk away from my electronics while its charging, I have a book that I can read or plan my day or just write my notes down for that day. It would be unfortunate to lose something for not being travel savy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Beer does taste better on the Camino-one observation from a veteran: when arriving in the evening, generally, as a rule of thumb, male pilgrims seek out a cafe/bar for the beverage of their choice while female pilgrims may be found in the pharmacy. Not chauvinism, fact! One last word, when English is all you got and those surrounding you don't have any at all know that most pharmacists speak excellent English and the problem is solved!

one observation from a veteran: when arriving in the evening, generally, as a rule of thumb, male pilgrims seek out a cafe/bar for the beverage of their choice while female pilgrims may be found in the pharmacy.

:) I suppose I will continue living life as the exception to the rule and see you guys at the bar. There is a reason my profile pic shows me with a beer in my hand :)

Beer does taste better on the Camino-one observation from a veteran: when arriving in the evening, generally, as a rule of thumb, male pilgrims seek out a cafe/bar for the beverage of their choice while female pilgrims may be found in the pharmacy.

That's because if beer cant cure it then it's probably terminal.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back