• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Charging mp3 players on camino

RICKFIELD

Hello

We are planning to start the camino at the end of May accompanied by 2 teenaged children.
Will there be facilities at the refugios for them to re-charge their mp3 players ? They need to re-charge by being plugged into a computer !

Thanks,
Rick from Palmerston North, New Zealand

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This might be a good opportunity to teach the youngsters that they can get along without the MP-3. Facilities to recharge will not be common in the refugios.

RICKFIELD said:
Hello

We are planning to start the camino at the end of May accompanied by 2 teenaged children.
Will there be facilities at the refugios for them to re-charge their mp3 players ? They need to re-charge by being plugged into a computer !

Thanks,
Rick from Palmerston North, New Zealand
Hi Rick and welcome to the forum!

If this is an iPod, there is converter were you can plug the USB cable into and then plug it into the electricity outlet. This converter might also work for non-ipod usb cables, but I am not sure. Finding a computer every day to charge your player I think will be difficult.

Saludos,
Ivar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What kind of converters, plug adapters and shapes - check here http://treehouse.ofb.net/go/en/voltage.

I´ll bring my Ipod (will be using it at nights when everybody else is snoring around me...).

annie

Unlike a cell phone where everyone around hears one-half of the conversation, iPods and MP3 players cannot possibly intrude on others. Is it possible that objecting to them is more about others not doing what we would do than it is about impolite behavior?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hate to disillusion you, but I can frequently hear what´s being played on other peoples´ IPods and MP3 players from several feet away. I find it´s the person who is "plugged-in" who can´t hear anything...including oncoming bicycles, birdsong, or my Hello.

But to each his own.

Reb.

not sure what kind of mp3 players you have but you could try a powermonkey, it charges lots of things and plugs into power sockets. i used it last year on the camino to charge my ipod and phone. you won't always be able to find a power socket even - once every few days probably. i must say i only used the ipod occasionally and often in the evenings, i really enjoyed listenting to the sounds of nature etc whilst walking maybe you should encourage your teenagers to try this! (easier said than done? ;D )

As I remember though there were often limited plugs available and aleady many people charging their phones and their cameras so it might not always be possible to charge. For my camera I dealt with that limitation by carrying a spare battery and charging the one not in use when practical.

john

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Terve,
I use my MP3 while doing something really boring pr monotous job to keep my mind away from the dullness of the activity. I won´t take my MP3 to the Camino. I don´t understand the whole idea to fill one´s head with music when one seeks tranquility of the pilgrimage. Peace!
-T-

there are special power chargers available that plug into an electrical outlet. you'll need a plug converter for the European outlet itself, though. Finding an available outlet might be hit or miss, as others will be charging their phones, iPods, etc, plus you'll have to babysit it to make sure it doesn't walk off on its own. The exception is the private albergue in Atapuerca, which has outlets at each bedside, so you can charge up your iPod or phone while you sleep. :)

And I can understand the need to bring your own entertainment devices on long flights. I'll be taking my iPod with me for that, in case I don't care for any of the inflight entertainment options. I found on my first camino that I couldn't stand listening to my iPod at night, so I left it in my pack until it was time to go home.

Kelly

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Rickfield,
[*We are planning to start the camino at the end of May accompanied by 2 teenaged children.

Thanks,
Rick from Palmerston North, New Zealand]

You can buy 3 ipod charger from Trademe (I am sure your teenagers will know how) at http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-ph ... 350845.htm.

These consists of one charger with USB which connects to a computer (which they may have), another one plugs their ipod into the car charger and the last but most important one is the wall charger where they plug ttheir ipod into a wall socket. The Spanish voltage is the same and you can buy an adapter for the NZ plug to fit into the European sockets used in Spain. The cost of the 3 in 1 charger set is NZ$13.50, you can get the adapter for NZ$3. Weight of these chargers is less than an apple.

This might be a good opportunity to teach the youngsters that they can get along without the MP-3. Facilities to recharge will not be common in the refugios.

I do not agree with the above comments, particularly with the first sentence which is far off topic. The second sentence is misleading, far from being a primitive trail with basic facilities the 21st century Spain is very modern with most mod-cons, let the teenagers enjoy their camino as there are many ways to charge their ipod. How I wish there were more teenagers following their parents. As Chinese where most of the chargers (and ipods) are made we treasure the family bond where families share the trials and tribulations together.

Contact me by pm if you need more help

Joe from Christchurch

I just finished my camino from SJPP to Burgos and brought my camera, my ipod and my cell phone with me. No problem charging them at all.

annie

I found my iPod especially useful at night, to block out the snoring of other pilgrims, but I agree with Rebecca, that sometimes teens play it so loud that it can be distracting (and rude) to fellow pilgrims.
I had no problems charging mine with an adapter that plugged into the wall.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I met one teen on the Camino. Fortunately, he was more than three feet away from me the entire time, so I could not hear his music, if he was playing any. The number of old coots was greater, but their eyes were too bad to see the screen on an iPod. As always, the Camino provides.

I don't think I like kids much, but I have a hard time believing that iPods make them evil (like those snorers are).

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back