• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

charging phones in pilgrims refuges

Intkerrie

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned may 2016
When staying at pilgrim refuges/alberbergs with multiple people in one room, i am wondering how one charges up mobile phone? I imagine there a limited power points, so one needs to be fair sharing what i imagine is a scarce resource. or are many power points provided? should i bring a power board with multi plugs so fair to all? but wt and space issue. i have a booster charger, but still needs powerpoint. looked into solar chargers and they dont seem that very efficient or effective whilst walking with a backpack. naturally not wanting to use ph great deal, but using camino app with offline maps and would like to be contactable as dad not that healthy. thanks in anticipation, kerrie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome Intkerrie, it all depends on the albergue, some have ony one power socket per room others have several. I never had a problem getting the phone charged but I also brought a spare battery for my Samsung. If you have an iphone you cannot change the battery but you could bring a power pack which would give you one or two charges if you cannot access a power socket.
A power board is extra weight for the ammount of times you may use it.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome Intkerrie, it all depends on the albergue, some have ony one power socket per room others have several. I never had a problem getting the phone charged but I also brought a spare battery for my Samsung. If you have an iphone you cannot change the battery but you could bring a power pack which would give you one or two charges if you cannot access a power socket.
A power board is extra weight for the ammount of times you may use it.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.
Thank you so much, thought as much. Buen camino, Kerrie

I to have a spare battery for my Samsung. It can be charged in it's case while I have my phone with me. The charging case weighs about the same insignificant weight as the battery. (I travel very light so a little extra weight isn't noticeable.) This combination means that I never always have my phone with me and that I don't have to charge every day if it isn't convenient. Yes I too carry this in the rucksack pocket to take an opportunity to charge it when and if it occurs.

We just walked the Camino Ingles with my family accompanied by our 3 Iphones, an IPad and a Samsung Tablet! Although we only stayed in two (full) Albergues there was never a problem sharing the sockets. We also when we stopped for breakfast etc. tried to find tables next to sockets and nobody seemed to mind. Also the 'Low Power Mode' feature becomes your friend

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I to have a spare battery for my Samsung. It can be charged in it's case while I have my phone with me. The charging case weighs about the same insignificant weight as the battery. (I travel very light so a little extra weight isn't noticeable.) This combination means that I never always have my phone with me and that I don't have to charge every day if it isn't convenient. Yes I too carry this in the rucksack pocket to take an opportunity to charge it when and if it occurs.
thank you so much for your advice Allen, buen camino, kerrie

We just walked the Camino Ingles with my family accompanied by our 3 Iphones, an IPad and a Samsung Tablet! Although we only stayed in two (full) Albergues there was never a problem sharing the sockets. We also when we stopped for breakfast etc. tried to find tables next to sockets and nobody seemed to mind. Also the 'Low Power Mode' feature becomes your friend
thank you so much for your advice , low bower mode a good tip, buen camino, kerrie

I don't know where you are from, but if you can get a small plug that has two usb ports on it, you never have to wait for a wall socket. If someone has their phone plugged in, you can ask if you can share the socket and then plug both phones in. They are for sale on Amazon France but they don't deliver to Canada. I was always on the lookout for one in Spain, but never found one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also have a charger with 2 usb ports.
I bought one in Madrid a couple of years ago, and gave it to a fellow pilgrim last year after she had lost her charger.
I then bought a replacement in El Corte Ingles in Pamplona.
About 10 euros.

You can also get chargers which have 4 USB sockets. Mine has a very annoying bright blue light on it though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also have a charger with 2 usb ports.
I bought one in Madrid a couple of years ago, and gave it to a fellow pilgrim last year after she had lost her charger.
I then bought a replacement in El Corte Ingles in Pamplona.
About 10 euros.
yes, was going to get charger with 2 ports, everyone so helpful on this forum, thank you so much, kerrie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When staying at pilgrim refuges/alberbergs with multiple people in one room, i am wondering how one charges up mobile phone? I imagine there a limited power points, so one needs to be fair sharing what i imagine is a scarce resource. or are many power points provided? should i bring a power board with multi plugs so fair to all? but wt and space issue. i have a booster charger, but still needs powerpoint. looked into solar chargers and they dont seem that very efficient or effective whilst walking with a backpack. naturally not wanting to use ph great deal, but using camino app with offline maps and would like to be contactable as dad not that healthy. thanks in anticipation, kerrie
i never had a problem but i rarely used my phone just for pics and an half hour or so to post on Facebook and email. i even left my phone out in the open sometimes.

Another simple solution (one I use) is a outlet extender with 3 plug receptacles on it. If the plug in is in use you can simply plug the extender in and share it. The best part is you leave room for one more.
They are easy to find in hardware stores and in Chino shops (kind of like dollar stores in the U.S.). Very cheap and useful.
Like others I use a battery backup that I can charge when I am not comfortable leaving my iPhone plugged in somewhere where I can't watch it. Much less likely to go missing.

So I was walking for 6 months and the most useful thing I bought prior to going was a battery pack USB charger that I could use to charge my phone on the road. I actually bought 2 more along the way so I had 3 and basically the ability to go 4 days without having to recharge (important in the mountains in Turkey).

On the Camino had very few issues other than I lost my travel adapter twice and happened to have a hard time finding places to buy those but people I met always had ones I could borrow so not a huge deal.

On finding outlets it is pretty random. Some places have very few, others have 1 or 2 for each bunk... just depends. Not the biggest issue though if you have an extra battery charge pack.

Also I brought a solar panel and it was the only thing I brought I never used once.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm carrying a 4 port adapter. I plug it in and 4 devices can be charged at the same time. My understanding is that I may be quite popular in the albergues. :)

Happy Trails

In 38 days on the CF there was never a problem charging our phones. Don't think I'd recommend taking anything extra. People are so aware of sharing everything. Camino people are the best!!!

It is worth keeping your charger somewhere easily accessible in your rucksack. That way you can usually find somewhere to charge your phone for a little while in a bar or restaurant while you recharge yourself. I always ask before plugging mine in but have never been refused.
What a grand idea - thanks for this

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm carrying a 4 port adapter. I plug it in and 4 devices can be charged at the same time. My understanding is that I may be quite popular in the albergues. :)

Happy Trails
I have been on the look out for this and have asked at many sport outlets here in Cape Town but nowhere available - where did you get your one ? Thanks and buen camino

Agree. I have in the past had various combinations of phone, camera, iPod, gps watch with me and never had a problem. I use a two-usb adapter with a uk-to-continental adapter. Number of outlets in albergues seems to be steadily increasing. Often now one for each bed. I guess there is an element of etiquette, (which I'm sure would come naturally to folk on this forum ) of not leaving items plugged in long after they are charged. I have often left (not super expensive) phone plugged in for an hour or so unattended, while I went shopping, without ever any problem.
Common sense needed of course!

I have been on the look out for this and have asked at many sport outlets here in Cape Town but nowhere available - where did you get your one ? Thanks and buen camino
Amazon.com in travel electronics. Amazon.uk also sells them. You might try travel stores or electronic stores. Do you have Nakumatt ?

43 days walking and only two days that I recall any kind of stress over needing to charge. The stress related to wanting to connect to my family, not whether to not I could charge my phone. You're going to be just fine.

Buen Camino

Amazon.com in travel electronics. Amazon.uk also sells them. You might try travel stores or electronic stores. Do you have Nakumatt ?
Yippee I was able to get one of these gadgets in china town and have tested it on my iPhone so it works - very nifty - thanks
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

So I was walking for 6 months and the most useful thing I bought prior to going was a battery pack USB charger that I could use to charge my phone on the road. I actually bought 2 more along the way so I had 3 and basically the ability to go 4 days without having to recharge (important in the mountains in Turkey).

On the Camino had very few issues other than I lost my travel adapter twice and happened to have a hard time finding places to buy those but people I met always had ones I could borrow so not a huge deal.

On finding outlets it is pretty random. Some places have very few, others have 1 or 2 for each bunk... just depends. Not the biggest issue though if you have an extra battery charge pack.

Also I brought a solar panel and it was the only thing I brought I never used once.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I brought a charger with 4 port on it and a 10 foot long USB/Mini USB charging cable. This allowed me to keep charging all night long with the phone safely in bed with me.

I brought a charger with 4 port on it and a 10 foot long USB/Mini USB charging cable. This allowed me to keep charging all night long with the phone safely in bed with me.
10 foot long cable! Oh dear, it must add a good 10 grams of extra weight! o_O In all seriousnes, never knew they made cables this long.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.