• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Charming Camino Vinto Tinto Logo

• Thread starter Former member 91017
  • Start date
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found these bottles of red from Bierzo in our local liquor store today. I actually laughed out loud when I saw the logo. Wondering who might be inclined to make *THAT* their new Camino tattoo.

Anyway, didn’t buy a bottle. Wonder if anyone can recommend for or against?View attachment 89163
You have cut off the price at the bottom of the picture! It looks like a double figure and so I would pass on buying it too. I like my reds cheap and fruity.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You have cut off the price at the bottom of the picture! It looks like a double figure and so I would pass on buying it too. I like my reds cheap and fruity.
As always the small print reveals all: 24.75+20c (deposit)=24.95. :)

This wine was No #34 on the Wine spectator's list (worldwide list) of 2019 and retailed in Canada for $25. The average price of the first 33 on this list was (wait for it) $99. Seems to me worth a try at least...But I don't think it is available in Australia, though it piqued my curiosity hence the blurb above.
Anyone interested, here is the link with more info:
If anyone does try this, let us know??

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This wine was No #34 on the Wine spectator's list (worldwide list) of 2019 and retailed in Canada for $25. The average price of the first 33 on this list was (wait for it) $99. Seems to me worth a try at least...But I don't think it is available in Australia, though it piqued my curiosity hence the blurb above.
Anyone interested, here is the link with more info:
If anyone does try this, let us know??
Lovely information! Thank you!
And yeah, *nothing* in Ontario comes in single digits except for about 3 table wines from Portugal, and the Toro Bravo from Spain. They are quite nice, truly. But sometimes I like something really special.
Thanks for the advice about the general quality of this one (and its comparators).

hard to buy an imported Spanish Red for single digits I would have thought :oops:

Absolutely impossible for a vintage. The Toro Bravo table red is $8.95 the bottle, and it's sturdy and reliable, but it's not a vintage.
Vintages begin around $16 a bottle and run upward from there. Spanish and Portuguese high end bottles that we can actually acquire go to about $55 max.
I have a collection of albarinos, godellos, Viyuras, verdejos a few Mencias, a few Ruedas... and blends from Rioja. I think I have one Chianti in my cellar now and zero from anywhere else these days.
The California and Pacific NW wines are all over $30 a bottle here, and I can happily have a verdejo instead of a vouvray.... I loathe Shiraz, and I find most of the Agentinian and Chilean wines to be too "single note"....
I managed to find two Kopke ports ( ruby for cooking a tawny for sipping) today, but I know I won't find a Kopke white port again until I am back on the peninsula...

Absolutely impossible for a vintage. The Toro Bravo table red is $8.95 the bottle, and it's sturdy and reliable, but it's not a vintage.
Vintages begin around $16 a bottle and run upward from there. Spanish and Portuguese high end bottles that we can actually acquire go to about $55 max.
I have a collection of albarinos, godellos, Viyuras, verdejos a few Mencias, a few Ruedas... and blends from Rioja. I think I have one Chianti in my cellar now and zero from anywhere else these days.
The California and Pacific NW wines are all over $30 a bottle here, and I can happily have a verdejo instead of a vouvray.... I loathe Shiraz, and I find most of the Agentinian and Chilean wines to be too "single note"....
I managed to find two Kopke ports ( ruby for cooking a tawny for sipping) today, but I know I won't find a Kopke white port again until I am back on the peninsula...

We had a couple of bottles of Rioja yesterday with a massive home cooked Paella.
Plain Rioja was about $15 (AUD) and Reserva $35 (AUD)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No sure if I care if it is available in Australia, that would be a long way to go for a glass of wine. Is it available in NZ? Or were you thinking that we are a quick drive across the Sydney Harbour Bridge?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A story about wine from my travels in the early 1980's.

My wife and I were in London as part of our OE and we were invited to dinner with my Aunt and Uncle. This is my Aunt's second marriage and I am related to her from her first marriage. Her then husband had a chest-full of doubloons, enough for a pirates ransom. He owned a couple of factories that made cutting tools using industrial diamonds. I found out later that night that he was somewhat of a wine connoisseur and could easily afford the expensive ones.

Being a typical Kiwi couple we took a gift for our hosts, normally something to add to the dinner (a shoulder of venison) and I chose a bottle of Sainsbury's Claret for around GBP2 (1980's prices).

We were meeting my Cousin there that night and my brother also joined us although he is a teetotaler. Upon arrival I showed my cousin my gift of the Claret, she was taken aback and told me not to give it to my uncle (was he my uncle?) as he would turn his nose up at it as it was well beneath his normal standard. She suggested that I put it back into my bag instead. However, me being me, I decided to give it to him anyway.

He was, of course, a perfect gentleman and said nothing except thanks for the gift when I gave it to him although my aunt was giving me funny looks. Anyway, we proceeded to dinner after a couple of apéritifs and my uncle opened a very nice South African red that he and I polished off as the ladies were drinking that white sparkly stuff that the French make. After that first bottle he then open my Claret and he and I also polished that off.

After dinner the ladies retired and us menfolk smoked our cigars in the drawing room and chatted over a very smooth single malt Scotch (excepting my brother, of course). Eventually the conversation swung around to the wines we had consumed that night. Feeling in a very comfortable mood by that time I told him about ignoring the advice of my cousin. He laughed and said that although he would probably not have bought that same wine himself he was pretty sure that it would be good enough to be the second bottle that night because Sainsbury's had very good wine buyers with significant market clout and he confirmed that it was indeed a wine to be enjoyed with good food and good company.

Doug

I've been buying wine via several Spanish & Portuguese merchants for years. Shipped to the UK via DHL a cost of about £10 a case. Always at half or less than UK retail prices. I just have my fingers crossed that my last order clears the UK border by 11:00pm Dec 31st :(

For some reason, probably easily explained by an economist, most Bierzo wines are cheaper to buy from Portuguese merchants.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not to change the subject, varietal or region but, I found this wine here in Dallas for a little over $10 and I was very pleasantly surprised that it reminded me of the better vino tintos found along the CF. If you can find it, I highly recommend you give it a try. Saludos!

Vino de Navarra.jpg

I found these bottles of red from Bierzo in our local liquor store today. I actually laughed out loud when I saw the logo. Wondering who might be inclined to make *THAT* their new Camino tattoo.

Anyway, didn’t buy a bottle. Wonder if anyone can recommend for or against?

The Camino de Invierno goes through the Bierzo region, particularly in A Rua and Barco de Valdeorras, and you will get great red Mencía wine in every bar and restaurant. Godello is the name of the white wine, I believe. So the bodegas name of Godelia is a bit confusing.

In fact, in A Rua, I think there are some tasting rooms. I do not have a sophisticated wine palette, but I like Mencía — not too heavy as some Spanish wines frequently are for me, like Toro. Our local wine store has a Red mencía that is lower in price than the Godelia. As you might imagine, you can get a wonderful glass of mencía very cheap if you walk the Invierno!

Every year Barco de Valdeorras has a blowout wine festival. People in town have told me about it, but I’ve never been there during the fiesta days. Looks like quite a bash. I remember one person telling me how you can buy a bracelet and travel around the area to many bodegas and do some tasting. I would probably not want to be out driving about on those evenings.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Reading this thread reminds me how fortunate I am to live in Northern California where there are shelves and shelves of great wine (local and imported) for sub $20US. Cheers!

Well, I am no connoisseur of wine...in fact, I had to pass it up on the Camino because it makes me snore, and I didn't want to be the reason people had a restless night. However, the artistic side of me loves the logo! Clever! That enough would draw me in to check it out. Cheers!

The Camino de Invierno goes through the Bierzo region, particularly in A Rua and Barco de Valdeorras, and you will get great red Mencía wine in every bar and restaurant. Godello is the name of the white wine, I believe. So the bodegas name of Godelia is a bit confusing.
Yes, we can say that Invierno is the Camino of Mencia and Godello because Ribeira Sacra has those grapes too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
25 doubloons too rich for my blood for a Spanish red. I too have a 9.99 ceiling for daily meal wines.
I often wonder if the PRICE of a wine has anything to do with the taste?
Some of the nicest wine we've ever had was less than £2 or the equivalent in euros

In Lidl there are some great wines for less than £5
It all depends on ones tastebuds

I remember that we once bought a litre of wine for a few Euros ...it was like nectar....unfortunately I couldn't remember anything else for quiet a while!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is no surprise to our Canadian neighbors, but several years ago, while driving our RV up through Canada on our way to the Alaska Highway, we discovered that wine and other spirits (including that staple of life, good ol' beer) are heavily taxed there. In fact, the prices I saw in Canada were almost double what we pay here in the U.S. A couple of years later, on our first Camino, I met a gentleman from a town near Toronto who owned what he called a wine shop. Fast forward a couple of more years, and we were in Canada again, once more in our RV heading this time for the Maritime provinces. We stopped for a visit with our Camino friend and he took us to see his wine shop. It turned out to be a do-it-yourself winemaking facility for amateur vintners. He furnished the grape juice from various vineyards, and his customers would mix up their own wine varieties and let them ferment and age in 5-gallon carboys at the shop. He also provided complete bottling and corking equipment and custom labels. It seems that producing wine this way lets one avoid the high taxes on wine purchased in a commercial shop.

I've never had a bad Bierzo wine but it is hard to come by in the UK. Recently I did find one wine merchant who would deliver a case or a half case to your door either mixed of of one vintage.
There was one I quite fancied and thought, at £96 a half case, was a bargain. I was entering the details at checkout when I noticed it was £96 a bottle and quickly logged off.

1607986424591.png

Think I might perhaps ask for this for my 70th birthday next year . . .

1607986509147.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've never had a bad Bierzo wine but it is hard to come by in the UK. Recently I did find one wine merchant who would deliver a case or a half case to your door either mixed of of one vintage.
There was one I quite fancied and thought, at £96 a half case, was a bargain. I was entering the details at checkout when I noticed it was £96 a bottle and quickly logged off.

View attachment 89235

Think I might perhaps ask for this for my 70th birthday next year . . .

View attachment 89236
Alvaro Palacios and his family make great wine, relatively new to Bierzo but his Priorat’s are wonderful. Les Terrasses, yum.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last night’s tipple - AUD16 here in Oz.
I have had that while on the Camino Frances. I remember I was invited to dinner with some other pilgrims, but they were staying at a different albergue and asked me to bring a bottle of wine. That is what I bought. That was in Portomarin.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Back in 2014 I had the opportunity to talk with one of the owners of the Bodega Tandem winery which is right on the Frances near Villatuerta. I am sure most members of this forum noticed it, left side of the path. The gentleman was standing on the path where it intersects with the road going up to the winery. He struck up a conversation with myself and a peregrina I was walking with. Very gracious man and he told us the story of the winery. They have a website but unfortunately they do not sell wine where I am living now. I do keep my eye out for it. Buy a few bottles in gratitude for his welcoming personality to two pilgrims.

Anyway, didn’t buy a bottle. Wonder if anyone can recommend for or against?View attachment 89163
I might get this on one shoulder and the traditional shell on the other. At 72 y/o, I entertain anything nowadays.

As always the small print reveals all: 24.75+20c (deposit)=24.95. :)
Wow, I would be asking someone else to try it too, so much great wine IN that area for 2-3 euros a bottle.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I once gave a friend a Petalos wine from Bierzo that pleased him a lot.
A good idea to give wine gifts from grapes you have walked by and have approved of...

My wife wanted a good xmas wine that would please her and I found a fairly good Ribera del Duero for testing...
I payed 15 EU or a little under 20 USD, and it was heavenly and had a good WAF number ( Wife Acceptance Factor) - brought good memories of Santiago wining & dining..

I went back for more and succumbed to buying the last 6 bottles...
You only live once....

1608403805587.png

Lovely information! Thank you!
And yeah, *nothing* in Ontario comes in single digits except for about 3 table wines from Portugal, and the Toro Bravo from Spain. They are quite nice, truly. But sometimes I like something really special.
Thanks for the advice about the general quality of this one (and its comparators).
This is a great find & would be a perfect gift for my 'Camino sisters'. I'll see if I can get it in BC, Canada.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought a bottle of Pazo Barrantes Albarinho today. We like white when the weather is so hot,
the guy tried to get me to buy Australian albarinho, I soon set him right. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think I shall stroll up to the shop today and nab a few bottles before we get locked down again.

Way to go all....now I am 'thirsty', and will have to take a wander out of my isolated chink of heaven with my wife to pick up some more Spanish and Portuguese wine!
They go very nicely with the sour dough bread my wife started making during this pandemic...better pick up some cheese though.
Great- now two stops!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.