• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chartes

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I am helping my son to plan his first Camino, wants to start in Paris but skip the suburbs, he has never been in France and wants to visit cathedrals so Via Turonensis it is! He wants to visit Paris and start from Chartes and then to join the Chemin at Orleans. Is their a GR or other path connecting the two? We would appreciate any help thanks
S

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
I think this is going to be very difficult to do. There's not a lot of accommodation even on the regular Chartres branch of the Via Turonensis, and I'm told by those who've looked for a way between Chartres and Orleans that there is just absolutely nothing in between. People just don't go that way, even randonneurs, so there's just nothing there that you might need.

Why not just do the Chartres-Vendome-Bordeaux route and save the Loire valley for another time?

EDIT I was thinking that Carolus Peregrinator went that way, but actually he dropped down to Orleans from some other village.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why not 'wing it' by walking on back roads from Chartres to Orleans? For example the D29 to Voves, then Orgeres en Beauce and on to Orleans. Total distance is roughly 70 k. No pilgrim albergues, of course, but search Google to find chambre d'hĂ´tes along the route.

MM

Thanks Margaret, been looking at Google Maps and had about the same idea, time to get a second generation of pilgrims on their feet!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would choose a trip to Amiens over the walk from Chatres to Orleans. Most of the Cathedrals I visited on my trip (Beauvais, Notre Dame, Chartes, Tours, Saintes, Poitiers, Dax to name a few and then all the Spanish ones) have merged into one in my memory. The ones that stand out for me are:

Amiens - because it was so light and airy and if you go early you have the place to yourself to walk to the labyrinth

Santiago - because there was so much activity going on

Oviedo – because of the relics and the never ending audio tour

I am not sure I would choose to walk the Via Turonensis to Spain, crossing Les Landes on a bike was bad enough, walking would certainly be mental challenge.

We found the Gites de France website very helpful - it includes campsites and Chambre d'hĂ´tes as well as gites. The same organisation has an app with a GPS locator so you can see what is around you on a map.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I don’t know about established walking ways for connecting Chartres to Orléans on foot, other that Googlemapping your route. What I can tell you is that it is 70 km + or -, so maybe three days; and as far as I remember, it is a flat (think Meseta) farm landscape. Some villages with modest pretty churches, and nice houses with manicured gardens, but that’s all. No services (a bakery, sometimes), no street life, you don't see people. Pleasant, but a bit lonely.

I plan to stay in Paris for a week (hooray to AirBnB) before heading to Auxerre, and will take a day trip via the TGV to Chartres.

I am helping my son to plan his first Camino, wants to start in Paris but skip the suburbs, he has never been in France and wants to visit cathedrals so Via Turonensis it is! He wants to visit Paris and start from Chartes and then to join the Chemin at Orleans. Is their a GR or other path connecting the two? We would appreciate any help thanks
S
Scruffy1, did you ever get this figured out?

I just wanted to add that I recently read the blog of a woman who did the regular Voie de Tours, but found most of her accommodation via couchsurfing.com, which might be another source for the smaller towns.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back