• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

chatGPT suggested packing list - just for fun

Viscount Gumpy of Ol'

Try to be as good as your dog thinks you are.
Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping, planning, dreaming of my first.
Just for a little fun, I asked chatGPT if it could suggest a packing list for a 30 day Camino walk. This is the response.

Certainly! Here's a suggested packing list for a 30-day Camino walk:

1. Backpack: Choose a comfortable, lightweight backpack with good support and a capacity of at least 40-50 liters.
  2. Footwear: Choose a sturdy and comfortable pair of hiking boots or trail running shoes with good traction and ankle support.
  3. Socks: Pack several pairs of high-quality hiking socks that are moisture-wicking and offer good cushioning and support.
  4. Clothing: Pack lightweight, quick-drying clothing that can be easily layered, including:
    • 2-3 quick-drying t-shirts
    • 1-2 long-sleeved shirts
    • 1-2 pairs of hiking pants
    • 1-2 pairs of shorts
    • 1-2 pairs of thermal underwear
    • 1-2 fleece or down jackets for warmth
    • 1 rain jacket and rain pants
  5. Hat and gloves: Pack a warm hat and gloves for colder weather.
  6. Sunglasses and sunhat: Protect yourself from the sun with a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
  7. Toiletries: Pack a small toiletry kit with the essentials, including toothbrush and toothpaste, biodegradable soap, shampoo, and sunscreen.
  8. First aid kit: Bring a basic first aid kit with bandages, antiseptic, pain relievers, and any prescription medication you may need.
  9. Trekking poles: Consider bringing a pair of trekking poles to help with balance and reduce strain on your legs.
  10. Sleeping bag: If you plan to stay in albergues, a lightweight sleeping bag or sleeping sheet is recommended.
  11. Travel towel: Pack a quick-drying travel towel for showering or swimming.
  12. Electronics: Bring a camera, phone, and charger. A portable power bank can be useful.
  13. Water bottle: Bring a refillable water bottle or hydration system to stay hydrated on the trail.
  14. Passport and cash: Bring your passport for identification purposes and cash for daily

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I then asked chatGPT to write me a short story about an adventure walking the Camino. This is what it came up with.

Once upon a time, there was a brave adventurer named Forrest who decided to embark on a journey of a lifetime: walking the Camino de Santiago. The Camino de Santiago, also known as the Way of St. James, is a 500-mile pilgrimage route in northern Spain that has been walked by millions of people for over a thousand years.

Forrest started his journey in the beautiful city of St. Jean Pied de Port, in the French Pyrenees. From there, he followed the famous yellow arrows that marked the way, passing through quaint villages, ancient churches, and breathtaking landscapes. Each day, he walked for hours, carrying only the essentials in his backpack and stopping at local bars and albergues to rest and refuel.

The first week was tough for Forrest. He had blisters on his feet, sore muscles, and the weight of the journey ahead felt daunting. However, as he walked, he met fellow pilgrims from all over the world, each with their own story and reason for walking. They shared meals, stories, and laughter, and soon the Camino became not just a physical journey, but a spiritual and emotional one as well.

As Forrest continued his journey, he faced many challenges, from the scorching sun in the meseta to the rain in Galicia. He climbed steep hills and crossed rugged terrain, but with each step, he felt stronger and more determined to reach his final destination: the city of Santiago de Compostela.

Finally, after weeks of walking, Forrest reached Santiago de Compostela, tired but proud. He stood in front of the magnificent Cathedral of Santiago, where the remains of St. James are said to be buried, and felt a sense of awe and accomplishment. He had walked 500 miles, but what he had gained was immeasurable: a new perspective on life, a deeper connection to himself and others, and memories that would last a lifetime.

As Forrest looked back on his adventure, he knew that the Camino had changed him forever. He was grateful for the friends he had made, the lessons he had learned, and the experiences he had had. And as he looked ahead, he knew that he would carry the spirit of the Camino with him, wherever his next adventure may take him.

===========
And just to prove that this is not done with a simple substitution algorithm, I asked the same question again and received this:

As you set out on the Camino de Santiago, your heart raced with excitement and a touch of apprehension. You had dreamt of this journey for years, but the reality of walking nearly 500 miles through northern Spain was daunting.

The first few days were tough. Your feet ached, your backpack felt heavy, and the endless hills seemed insurmountable. But you kept going, inspired by the camaraderie of the other pilgrims you met along the way. Each night, you would gather in the albergue with your new friends, swapping stories and sharing a sense of purpose.

As the days turned into weeks, the scenery changed from the rolling green hills of the Basque Country to the arid plains of Castilla y Leon. You marveled at the ancient churches and monasteries that dotted the landscape, and savored the local cuisine of chorizo, pulpo, and wine.

But the true highlight of your journey was the people you met. There was the German couple who had sold everything to walk the Camino with their newborn baby, the Australian retiree who had come to find peace after a difficult divorce, and the young Spanish woman who was walking in memory of her late father.

Together, you hiked through rain and sun, blisters and joy, until you finally reached the grand cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. As you hugged your fellow pilgrims and shared tears of happiness, you realized that this journey had changed you in ways you could never have anticipated.

You returned home with a newfound sense of gratitude, resilience, and compassion, and you knew that the memories of your adventure on the Camino de Santiago would stay with you for a lifetime.

Last edited:
I just got my tickets for my second Camino. The first time I walked from Irun on the Del Norte. This time I'm doing the Portuguese by myself. Looking at the packing list shown is a good starting point of considerations. I'm going to have to dig out my old list to see what I get cut out. The airline showed a carry-on and a checked luggage prior to buying the tickets, but after I bought them, I see they limit the carry-on to 18 lbs (I don't plan to check anything but also after buying the ticket, I see they don't actually have a free 1st checked bag on the first leg of the trip. They're charging $105 for the first checked bag. So beware of the trickery!) My reason for not checking my bag was because on the 1st Camino, on a 1 stop flight. The initial flight was delayed by enough time, that after getting to Frankfurt and going through immigration, we had to run to make the connection so I'm glad we had backpack vs having to get our bags then go through immigration.
Reference this packing list, like I said it's a starting point. I'm not going to have the luxury of taking what I did the first time due to the 18 lbs limitation but I think I can do it. I'll stick to 3 shirts, underwear and socks. I think I can get by with one pants and shorts. We had rain, but I was too hot in the rain pants, they'll remain behind.

The fun begins! Getting ready and planning the Camino since I've done the 1st steps of getting the tickets.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just for a little fun, I asked chatGPT if it could suggest a packing list for a 30 day Camino walk. This is the response.

1. Backpack: Choose a comfortable, lightweight backpack with good support and a capacity of at least 40-50 liters.
  2. Footwear: Choose a sturdy and comfortable pair of hiking boots or trail running shoes with good traction and ankle support.
  3. Socks: Pack several pairs of high-quality hiking socks that are moisture-wicking and offer good cushioning and support.
  4. Clothing: Pack lightweight, quick-drying clothing that can be easily layered, including:
    • 1-2 pairs of shorts
  6. Sunglasses and sunhat: Protect yourself from the sun with a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
  7. Toiletries: Pack a small toiletry kit with the essentials, including toothbrush and toothpaste, biodegradable soap, shampoo, and sunscreen.
  8. First aid kit: Bring a basic first aid kit with bandages, antiseptic, pain relievers, and any prescription medication you may need.
  9. Trekking poles: Consider bringing a pair of trekking poles to help with balance and reduce strain on your legs.
  10. Sleeping bag: If you plan to stay in albergues, a lightweight sleeping bag or sleeping sheet is recommended.
  12. Electronics: Bring a camera, phone, and charger. A portable power bank can be useful.
  13. Water bottle: Bring a refillable water bottle or hydration system to stay hydrated on the trail.
  14. Passport and cash: Bring your passport for identification purposes and cash for daily
Remarkably good, though most people would suggest a smaller pack.

A computer program wrote those stories?!? Amazing! And terrifying at the same time. No wonder this has become an issue with students using AI to write their essays.

What a fun experiment, Viscount! Did it inspire you to get on the road?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OK, this is extra funny as a few days ago while exploring ChatCPT, I was thinking the same thing and go this:

"Can you tell me the ideal packing list for hiking the camino Frances

Certainly! Here is an ideal packing list for hiking the Camino Frances:

Hiking boots/shoes with good support and comfortable socks
Lightweight and breathable clothing (short and long-sleeve shirts, pants, shorts, rain gear)
Hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen for sun protection
Warm layers for cold evenings or mornings (fleece, puffy jacket)
Lightweight sleeping bag or sleeping sack
Small backpack (around 20-30 liters)
Water bottles or hydration system (2-3 liters total capacity)
Trekking poles for additional support and balance
First aid kit with essential medications and blister care
Headlamp or flashlight with extra batteries
Personal hygiene items (toothbrush, toothpaste, wet wipes, hand sanitizer)
Quick-drying travel towel and soap
Mobile phone with charger and power bank
Pilgrim passport to collect stamps at hostels and churches along the way
Cash, credit card, and/or debit card for purchases and emergencies
It's important to note that the above list is a guideline and can be adjusted based on individual preferences and needs. The key is to keep your backpack lightweight and comfortable, and to pack only what is essential for the journey. Buen camino!"

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK, this is extra funny as a few days ago while exploring ChatCPT, I was thinking the same thing and go this:

"Can you tell me the ideal packing list for hiking the camino Frances

Certainly! Here is an ideal packing list for hiking the Camino Frances:

Hiking boots/shoes with good support and comfortable socks
Lightweight and breathable clothing (short and long-sleeve shirts, pants, shorts, rain gear)
Hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen for sun protection
Warm layers for cold evenings or mornings (fleece, puffy jacket)
Lightweight sleeping bag or sleeping sack
Small backpack (around 20-30 liters)
Water bottles or hydration system (2-3 liters total capacity)
Trekking poles for additional support and balance
First aid kit with essential medications and blister care
Headlamp or flashlight with extra batteries
Personal hygiene items (toothbrush, toothpaste, wet wipes, hand sanitizer)
Quick-drying travel towel and soap
Mobile phone with charger and power bank
Pilgrim passport to collect stamps at hostels and churches along the way
Cash, credit card, and/or debit card for purchases and emergencies
It's important to note that the above list is a guideline and can be adjusted based on individual preferences and needs. The key is to keep your backpack lightweight and comfortable, and to pack only what is essential for the journey. Buen camino!"
Yes. It is very interesting that you can make the same request twice and get a different response each time.

Yes. It is very interesting that you can make the same request twice and get a different response each time.
Those with the time to spare, or stuck indoors on a rainy day, might like to try this experiment: Ask the same question at one hour intervals for as long as you can be bothered, 24 hours is a good start, a week is better. Then compare results.

It's even more fun if you have more than one PC / Laptop / Phone to play with.

It's interesting to watch the increasing congruity of response. A clear indication that the AI is doing what it is built to do - aggregate information. Trouble is, as it self refers it can increase rather than decrease its error rate.

This might be an interesting experiment: Ask the forum a Camino-related question and see what kind of responses start rolling in. In the meantime, ask the same question of the bot and see which one (forum or bot) has the best response.
PS: Watch out Ivar, AI is taking over! Pretty soon, we will have pilgrims walking the metaverse Caminos!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've been testing it out as well. I am mighty impressed; although all the references were fake in my examples. It will only get better though.

Sorry, I couldn't resist this: did you also ask it whether you could take hiking poles on the plane?

I did........... :oops:

Yes, you can typically bring hiking poles on a plane, but there may be some restrictions depending on the airline and the type of hiking poles you have.

Most airlines consider hiking poles as a type of sports equipment, and they typically allow sports equipment to be brought on board either as checked baggage or as carry-on, depending on the size and weight. However, it's important to check with the specific airline you're flying with as their policies and restrictions may vary.

If you're planning to bring your hiking poles as carry-on, be sure to check the airline's size and weight restrictions for carry-on luggage. Some airlines may require that you pack the poles in a protective case, while others may allow you to carry them in a backpack or a carry-on bag.

Additionally, if your hiking poles have sharp tips, you may need to cover the tips with rubber caps to prevent them from damaging other passengers' luggage or causing injury.

Overall, it's always a good idea to check with your airline before your flight to ensure that you comply with their specific policies and restrictions.

I did........... :oops:

Yes, you can typically bring hiking poles on a plane, but there may be some restrictions depending on the airline and the type of hiking poles you have.

Most airlines consider hiking poles as a type of sports equipment, and they typically allow sports equipment to be brought on board either as checked baggage or as carry-on, depending on the size and weight. However, it's important to check with the specific airline you're flying with as their policies and restrictions may vary.

If you're planning to bring your hiking poles as carry-on, be sure to check the airline's size and weight restrictions for carry-on luggage. Some airlines may require that you pack the poles in a protective case, while others may allow you to carry them in a backpack or a carry-on bag.

Additionally, if your hiking poles have sharp tips, you may need to cover the tips with rubber caps to prevent them from damaging other passengers' luggage or causing injury.

Overall, it's always a good idea to check with your airline before your flight to ensure that you comply with their specific policies and restrictions.
This is what happens when you rely on what a lot of people say rather than actually finding out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

• 1-2 pairs of shorts
I asked the wise men at my local watering hole what I should pack for my Camino, after pondering on their advice I decided that the local is not the best place to get advice and I decided to join the forum, still not sure which was best. 😊

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I wonder what the results would be if "it" was asked a direct question on which airlines allow hiking poles in the main cabin.🤔

Another very 'generic' answer.......

Airlines have their own specific rules and regulations regarding what items are allowed as carry-on luggage. However, in general, most airlines will not allow hiking poles to be carried on board as part of carry-on luggage.

This is because hiking poles are typically considered as sporting equipment and may be seen as potentially dangerous or as a security risk. As such, airlines usually require that they be checked in as part of your checked baggage.

That being said, it's always a good idea to check with your specific airline to see if they have any specific policies or restrictions regarding hiking poles as carry-on luggage. You can usually find this information on the airline's website or by contacting their customer service department.

Another very 'generic' answer.......

Airlines have their own specific rules and regulations regarding what items are allowed as carry-on luggage. However, in general, most airlines will not allow hiking poles to be carried on board as part of carry-on luggage.

This is because hiking poles are typically considered as sporting equipment and may be seen as potentially dangerous or as a security risk. As such, airlines usually require that they be checked in as part of your checked baggage.

That being said, it's always a good idea to check with your specific airline to see if they have any specific policies or restrictions regarding hiking poles as carry-on luggage. You can usually find this information on the airline's website or by contacting their customer service department.
:D That is a better answer that we often get from real people! Can you ask about folding poles specifically?

:D That is a better answer that we often get from real people! Can you ask about folding poles specifically?
Just try it here. It's free ;)

What almost completely inaccurate responses about trekking poles. In most of this, the airlines are operating within rules set by the various national civil aviation safety authorities, which didn't seem to get a mention. There is an excellent thread on this that is far more relevant and informative about trekking poles than the posts here. I remain unconvinced that this application is ready for serious use.

Last edited:
What almost completely inaccurate responses about trekking poles. In most of this, the airlines are operating within rules set by the various national civil aviation safety authorities, which didn't seem to get a mention. There is an excellent thread on this that is far more relevant and informative about trekking poles than the posts here. It remain unconvinced that this application is ready for serious use.

I think these examples show it's really not that useful @dougfitz . Yet....
Handy for kids who want to 'cheat' writing an essay maybe.
But all it seems to do is trawl the internet for information on the topic, maybe see what the most common responses are, and produce an 'aggregated' response from that. Basically the same as asking 100 people the question and using a normal distribution curve, pick the most common answers.

Nothing at all to do with the answer being the correct one of course :rolleyes:

Personally, without being a conspiracy theorist at all.
I think the first glimpses of "I Robot" could well be within the next decade.
It will be interesting to see what 'incidents' occur through the use of advanced AI.

@Robo, I don't doubt it will get better over time. This example suggests it might be some time! But computing being what it is, that might seem quick in human terms.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I asked ChatGPT to give me a packing list for the Camino del Norte in April for a woman and I must say I quite like it, minus a few unnecessary items:

Sure, here's a packing list for the Camino del Norte in April for a woman:
  1. Backpack: Choose a backpack that fits comfortably on your back and has a capacity of around 30-40 liters.
  2. Footwear: A pair of well-fitting hiking boots or shoes with good traction.
  3. Clothing:
  • 1-2 pairs of shorts
  • 1-2 pairs of hiking socks
  • 1-2 pairs of underwear
  • 1-2 sports bras
  1. Outerwear:
  • Lightweight waterproof and windproof jacket
  • Warm fleece or down jacket for colder temperatures
  1. Accessories:
  • Sun hat or cap
  • Sunglasses
  • Buff or scarf
  • Gloves
  • Swimsuit (if you plan on swimming)
  • Lightweight towel
  • Earplugs (for sleeping in hostels)
  • Headlamp or flashlight with extra batteries
  1. Toiletries:
  • Travel-sized shampoo and conditioner
  • Soap or body wash
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Sunscreen with a high SPF
  • Insect repellent
  • Feminine hygiene products
  • Any medications you require
  1. Other essentials:
  • Water bottle or hydration bladder
  • Snacks (trail mix, energy bars, etc.)
  • Cash and credit/debit cards
  • Passport or ID
  • Camino de Santiago guidebook and/or maps
  • Pilgrim passport
  • Mobile phone and charger
Keep in mind that this list is not exhaustive and you should adjust it according to your personal needs and preferences. Additionally, remember to pack as light as possible to avoid carrying unnecessary weight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just try it here. It's free ;)
Yeah, I tried it and OpenAI banned me. Unclear why, and my queries to the OpenAI support line go unanswered. I had used OpenAI to write a program that scraped data off websites and maybe it viewed my program as malicious.

Astonishing how well OpenAI can answer questions about a fairly specialized subject like the Camino. Or hiking poles - OpenAI's response was not very useful, but not inaccurate either.

I actually don't think there's a clear answer to this question. I have never been turned away due to my hiking poles, but I have been challenged (not by the airline but by the Portuguese equivalent of the TSA) and one time getting them on the plane was a near thing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
...and the more people comment on pack size, "CHAT" will revise the size to more closely match the total results. Plus, you can now delet Grammarly. No misspellings or bad grammar.
The problem may be that if they can use ChatGPT, fewer people will comment, thus the information becomes fossilised and, paradoxically because this is hi-tech, progressively more out of date and obsolete. It is only as good as what has been put there and has no capacity to analyse the value of new knowledge. That won't stop anyone using it though.

Re: story -
1. IMHO it's a bit of a stretch to call SJPdP "a city"
2. Not sure it's just as easy to "pass through the churches" as it is through villages and landscapes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What almost completely inaccurate responses about trekking poles. In most of this, the airlines are operating within rules set by the various national civil aviation safety authorities, which didn't seem to get a mention. There is an excellent thread on this that is far more relevant and informative about trekking poles than the posts here. I remain unconvinced that this application is ready for serious use.
Here's chatGPT’s own answer on its value as an oracle:bias.jpg
Can it ever be less biased than its curator? What if it curator filters out the "wrong side" of one or more controversial topics? Or worse yet, includes some of the lies that have been written by all political extremes lately? Even if the curator tries hard to be unbiased, the current consensus on something is going to be the result, even if it is wrong. Remember the guy who discovered ulcers are caused by a bacteria, and how his colleagues verbally crucified him? Or how long the myth persisted that fat kills and carbohydrates are good?

And what happens if the training data doesn't answer the question? In that case, chatGPT just invents something. Example:Presley.jpg
Apparently the training data did not include:

I just got my tickets for my second Camino. The first time I walked from Irun on the Del Norte. This time I'm doing the Portuguese by myself. Looking at the packing list shown is a good starting point of considerations. I'm going to have to dig out my old list to see what I get cut out. The airline showed a carry-on and a checked luggage prior to buying the tickets, but after I bought them, I see they limit the carry-on to 18 lbs (I don't plan to check anything but also after buying the ticket, I see they don't actually have a free 1st checked bag on the first leg of the trip. They're charging $105 for the first checked bag. So beware of the trickery!) My reason for not checking my bag was because on the 1st Camino, on a 1 stop flight. The initial flight was delayed by enough time, that after getting to Frankfurt and going through immigration, we had to run to make the connection so I'm glad we had backpack vs having to get our bags then go through immigration.
Reference this packing list, like I said it's a starting point. I'm not going to have the luxury of taking what I did the first time due to the 18 lbs limitation but I think I can do it. I'll stick to 3 shirts, underwear and socks. I think I can get by with one pants and shorts. We had rain, but I was too hot in the rain pants, they'll remain behind.

The fun begins! Getting ready and planning the Camino since I've done the 1st steps of getting the tickets.
$105 for the first checked bag?? Wow!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.