• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cheap Backpack (On a Budget)

yesenia

Hi to all!

We (me and my sister) both in our 30's are doing the Sarria - Santiago part of the camino next June ....

I am on a really tight budget and trying not to spend a lot on all the equipment! Because its a lot... the shoes, poles, pack, etc... not counting the flight from California :)

I tried on this Backpack from Walmart and LOVED it! felt really comfortable and its only $30 USD...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n
What do you all think?

Thanks for the help!

Yesi

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Yesi!

Since you are just doing the Sarria to Santiago section, you don't need anything over the top or heavy duty. I think a 28L bag is just fine. I am all about being frugal and keeping things cheap, so I fully support that bag ;)

Hi Yesi!

Since you are just doing the Sarria to Santiago section, you don't need anything over the top or heavy duty. I think a 28L bag is just fine. I am all about being frugal and keeping things cheap, so I fully support that bag ;)
Thank you so much Megan!! I do love it!
My sister will also be taking a bigger one... more expensive one too! so I can always count on stashing things in hers! haha LOL

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much Megan!! I do love it!
My sister will also be taking a bigger one... more expensive one too! so I can always count on stashing things in hers! haha LOL

The only downside of having a big bag is that if you have the space, you will try to fill it! And that's not always necessary.
Good luck finding all your other supplies! I spend so much time at REI before Caminos that they should probably just hire me. Also recommend Sports Authority to find cheap stuff (since you're also in CA I assume you have one around.) As for flights, I always find that Dublin is a couple hundred dollars less to fly to from California then most other European airports.
Happy planning!!

Have you figured out that a 28 li pack will be enough, even with a generous sister. BTW, my experience is that even for a short Camino, you are going to take much the same as for a longer one. As a rough rule of thumb, halve your ideal walking weight in kg and look for a pack about that size in litres. If you are around 55kg (or would like to be) then 28li would be okay.

As for the pack itself, it is difficult to tell directly from the link. Zippered closures limit how much extra can be carried slung across the top of the pack. Getting the size right is more important. Otherwise, try it with a reasonable load and see if it is still comfortable.

e-bay is your friend if on a budget, there are lots of good value used bags out there. Get the details from the manufacurers or suppliers sites then look for what you need.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If it felt comfortable go for it! I bought a new bag for my last Camino, a lightweight one which while not mega expensive was not cheap. It ended up in the bin at the Ibos community centre, on a stopover on the way to Lourdes. You can spend a lot of money and effort searching for bags which are lightweight, have a certain durability, functions etc, but sometimes it just better to go for comfort.

IMG_20140614_073716172.jpg The bin at Ibos with backpack and a linen shirt. My 2nd visit to a Decathlon on this camino, resulted in saying goodbye to some more of the equipment I started with.

Hola

I can certainly understand the need to keep costs low but, in my opinion, the two items one should get in good quality are; boots/shoes and backpack.
Your feet and back will be stressed by your physical challenges, and need all the help they can get.
That does not mean that one has to buy the most expensive, but rather one can prioritize between other items.
Personally I would not buy the poles, and just get some free wooden sticks in nature as well as not invest in the newest super-fantastic materials for clothing. Put that money into boots and backpack.
As it is something like a 7-10 day walk you are planning? it also allow for somewhat lesser materials.
Many on this forum has said that whether they plan for a week or a month, the same items goes into the back pack.
And it makes good sense, as we all need to be prepared for whatever we meet.
Still, a mild June Camino of a shorter length, may require to pack lighter ( and cheaper).
Also, do remember that whatever you may need, can be bought in Spain along the way.

Hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all so much... it does give me more to think about...
I love the backpack... they don't make that model in a larger one :( ... and since we'll have some time after the Camino... I know I'll want space for souvenirs and purchasing things...etc... so I'm afraid 28L wont leave much room for that... unless i can buy a small luggage/bag later after the Camino...

I also don't' want to purchase anything online unless I've tried it in the store... since I'm short... i know that will be an issue... it should fit really good

Do you all know of any brand that is not too expensive? all the ones I've seen are at least $100 USD and that's cheap... most are $150!!
Im looking at $50 or so

thanks!

yesi

If it is comfortable and all your gear will fit inside, it should work just fine. That should be about a 7-10 day walk.No need for a large backpack, or an expensive one, and that size bag can be carried-on the flight. No need to check it in as long as you keep liquids etc out of it. You can buy toothpaste, etc when you get to Spain.
After having walked two Caminos I'm convinced everything you need to walk one can be purchased at Wal-Mart. No need to spend twice the money at a high-end outdoor store. Spend that money instead on Spanish food and wine on the Camino. ;)
Buen Camino.

I love the backpack... they don't make that model in a larger one :( ... and since we'll have some time after the Camino... I know I'll want space for souvenirs and purchasing things...etc... so I'm afraid 28L wont leave much room for that... unless i can buy a small luggage/bag later after the Camino...

I also don't' want to purchase anything online unless I've tried it in the store... since I'm short... i know that will be an issue... it should fit really good

Do you all know of any brand that is not too expensive? all the ones I've seen are at least $100 USD and that's cheap... most are $150!!
Im looking at $50 or so

thanks!

yesi
Yeah, maybe buy a cheap luggage bag in Santiago for souvenirs, etc. That shouldn't be a problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Dr is IN:
Preparing to go on Camino is a lot like shopping without a list. First you head for the bread and milk. Since they are small items...you grab a light hand basket rather than the larger wheeled cart. On the way you run across a sale on fresh cashew nuts, three bucks...instead of $3.50. Dropping the bag into your basket you continue to the dairy section and, just as you reach for the milk you notice a coupon someone dropped on the floor. Not wanting to contribute to an unsightly store, you pick up the offending clipping and, what to your wondering eyes should appear, but Bailey's for half off..."limited quantity", one per customer. You immediately jog over to the wine and spirits fantasy aisle, nudging another patron out of the way, as you claim the last bottle. This dance of impulse buying continues until the wheeled cart is full and the tab is nearly $400.
As you push your bulging cart to the car, you remember you forgot to get the bread and milk. Oh well, you can get that on the next trip.
The moral of the story is: if you've decided what you want to get and you like it...buy it fast, before a store clerk redirects you to things he's sure you'll need. Once that happens...you'll need a larger pack.
Buen "bigger is not always better" Camino,
Arn

On my first Camino I had a very expensive pack I'd bought in Australia - beautifully constructed and far too big; 70 litres. I looked like a Sherpa on an expedition up Everest. I posted it on to Santiago from Leon and bought myself a 40 litre, very very cheap, Spanish pack. That pack had a decent waist belt but was otherwise simple, not adjustable at all and made from ordinary canvas. It proved to be extremely comfortable and became the family pack of choice for travelling - I never got to use it again because it was on my daughters' backs in China, South America and India. It finally succumbed to old age somewhere on a hiking trip in New Zealand when the closure at the top frayed.
Cost is often unrelated to usefulness. Or even quality.

Thank you to all!
Very true... I love the pack... will pass by today to purchase! I can always improvise if I need anything... the Camino will provide. :) Ultimately, its not the gear that will make our Camino special... :)

thanks again, will come back with more questions I'm sure :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Consider this, when you arrive in SdC, you can finally remove all those things from your pack ...that you "might" have used but didn't. Now you have a half empty pack for those souvenirs.;)

So .. I bought a 38L Osprey feeling this would do the trick for my Camino. Over the past two years I've been making my list and checking it many many times thinking that what was on the list would fit into my bag .. I'm 6'1 , 240 lbs and wear a size 13 boot , with sleep apnea(CPAP) ,with a couple medical conditions that warrant multiple(many) pills . I started putting all the essentials into my 38L and found that only 75% of what I had to have fitted into the bag. I tried every which way to cram the lot into the Osprey . Not gonna happen . There's a cold equation here . 5 gallon bucket does not accommodate 7 gallons of stuff . So off to the local Sporting Emporium I go with my "Stuff" to get fitted with a new bag .. you'll never guess what size I needed . 60L!! 26 lbs total .. and every little piece of it is essential . I figure the pill weight will diminish over time taking me down to 25.75lb. .. If I don't drink water I can save 6 lbs . Not sure naked pilgrims are permitted so I need to keep my clothes. Pondering trading off one pair of boots for my sandles. Anyway .. I took the lot for a short walk (2 miles) and It seems to be ok .. Will have to brace up some put it's manageable. 6 days and a Wakeup!

20140912_164007.jpg

So .. I bought a 38L Osprey feeling this would do the trick for my Camino. Over the past two years I've been making my list and checking it many many times thinking that what was on the list would fit into my bag .. I'm 6'1 , 240 lbs and wear a size 13 boot , with sleep apnea(CPAP) ,with a couple medical conditions that warrant multiple(many) pills . I started putting all the essentials into my 38L and found that only 75% of what I had to have fitted into the bag. I tried every which way to cram the lot into the Osprey . Not gonna happen . There's a cold equation here . 5 gallon bucket does not accommodate 7 gallons of stuff . So off to the local Sporting Emporium I go with my "Stuff" to get fitted with a new bag .. you'll never guess what size I needed . 60L!! 26 lbs total .. and every little piece of it is essential . I figure the pill weight will diminish over time taking me down to 25.75lb. .. If I don't drink water I can save 6 lbs . Not sure naked pilgrims are permitted so I need to keep my clothes. Pondering trading off one pair of boots for my sandles. Anyway .. I took the lot for a short walk (2 miles) and It seems to be ok .. Will have to brace up some put it's manageable. 6 days and a Wakeup!

View attachment 13655
Here's what I would ditch from your gear load. Just an opinion of course....;)

You don't need two sets of boots. Ditch the second pair. The rubber flip-flops are a necessity for showering in the albergues and can double as walking around shoes, or carry some lightweight sandals for this.
In two Caminos I never found the need for a ground pad. Never carried one.
The military style one-quart canteens will work, but are heavy, even when empty. Thick plastic, industrial strength locking lids. Designed for grunts on long humps. Don't really need for the Camino. On both Caminos I bought 2-3 one-half liter waters in St. Jean, and used them as my water bottles for the whole Camino(s). I made sure to get the ones that are a bit thicker and have heavier duty caps. They never leaked on me and worked like a champ, and got tossed in a bin in Santiago upon completion. Plenty of potable water fountains on the Camino. The only two days I found them to be sparse, and I carried all three bottles full, was the first day out of St. Jean on the way to Roncesvalles and the flat stretch across the meseta out of Carrion de los Condes.
If any of the clothes you are bringing, and that includes socks and underwear, is cotton or cotton blend, ditch them and get the synthetic types. Lighter and dries quicker. Cotton takes forever to dry and is heavy. You can get the synthetics cheap at places like Target and Wal-Mart. It's the type that's marketed as quick-dry, etc. Very popular for runners and working out, exercise etc. Also less chance for blisters with synthetic socks. Once cotton gets wet either from perspiration or rain, it causes rub spots which leads to blisters.
Stick a large, heavy-duty plastic garbage bag in your pack. Roll it up and put it in a zippered pocket. If you walk on a really rainy day, you can use it as a waterproof bag inside your pack. I used a waterproof pack cover in conjunction with one and my stuff stayed dry everyday.
That should shave off at least a couple of pounds from your pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nothing wrong with the WalMart Packs. My Daughter has been using a pack from KMart for the past dozen years and it is in great shape while my NorthFace pack has three major tears and two broken buckles from my camino hike in May & June.

Bought a nice backpack at a yard sale a month ago for $1 US. Just returned from 15 days in the Peruvian Andes and the $1 Pack held up fine. You can also get very good military packs at local Army-Navy stores--see lot of European backpackers using Swiss & German Military surplus packs while traveling in South America.

BTW --For those interested in backpacks the Mercado stalls in Cusco, Peru are now selling knock offs of Quechua Backpacks along with NF and Jack Wolfskin. Not similar models to those in Quechua store Madrid or I would have bought one

View attachment 13655

I have an Osprey Exos 48L. Super light and plenty of room for my gear. Take a look at one.

Here's what I would ditch from your gear load. Just an opinion of course....;)

You don't need two sets of boots. Ditch the second pair. The rubber flip-flops are a necessity for showering in the albergues and can double as walking around shoes, or carry some lightweight sandals for this.
In two Caminos I never found the need for a ground pad. Never carried one.
The military style one-quart canteens will work, but are heavy, even when empty. Thick plastic, industrial strength locking lids. Designed for grunts on long humps. Don't really need for the Camino. On both Caminos I bought 2-3 one-half liter waters in St. Jean, and used them as my water bottles for the whole Camino(s). I made sure to get the ones that are a bit thicker and have heavier duty caps. They never leaked on me and worked like a champ, and got tossed in a bin in Santiago upon completion. Plenty of potable water fountains on the Camino. The only two days I found them to be sparse, and I carried all three bottles full, was the first day out of St. Jean on the way to Roncesvalles and the flat stretch across the meseta out of Carrion de los Condes.
If any of the clothes you are bringing, and that includes socks and underwear, is cotton or cotton blend, ditch them and get the synthetic types. Lighter and dries quicker. Cotton takes forever to dry and is heavy. You can get the synthetics cheap at places like Target and Wal-Mart. It's the type that's marketed as quick-dry, etc. Very popular for runners and working out, exercise etc. Also less chance for blisters with synthetic socks. Once cotton gets wet either from perspiration or rain, it causes rub spots which leads to blisters.
Stick a large, heavy-duty plastic garbage bag in your pack. Roll it up and put it in a zippered pocket. If you walk on a really rainy day, you can use it as a waterproof bag inside your pack. I used a waterproof pack cover in conjunction with one and my stuff stayed dry everyday.
That should shave off at least a couple of pounds from your pack.

Great suggestions Mark Lee ... Thank You. I was actually considering dumping a set of boots and the bedroll . I've read so many post saying that two sets were essential I bought two . The military canteens are actually made out of plastic , they are light (when empty) but ROCKS when filled . Might go the 1/2 liter route . All my clothes are quick dry .. no cotton . I considered not bring my CPAP as my apnea is moderate . Wifey said a sure way to walk alone is not to bring it (snoring ) .

I will sort and dump , but dump what I am not sure yet . I will know in 6 days

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you to all!
Very true... I love the pack... will pass by today to purchase! I can always improvise if I need anything... the Camino will provide. :) Ultimately, its not the gear that will make our Camino special... :)

thanks again, will come back with more questions I'm sure :)

Since you're only walking the last 125K, you don't even need to buy a backpack, bring a small daypack for food and water and have your luggage that you already own transported ahead for €3 per day, it shouldn't take more than 7-8 days if you don't have any issues. This can be cheaper than buying a pack to begin with.
http://www.xacotrans.com/?lang=en

So .. I bought a 38L Osprey feeling this would do the trick for my Camino. Over the past two years I've been making my list and checking it many many times thinking that what was on the list would fit into my bag .. I'm 6'1 , 240 lbs and wear a size 13 boot , with sleep apnea(CPAP) ,with a couple medical conditions that warrant multiple(many) pills .
@DeadFred, I am not surprised that you found a 38li pack too small. My general advice is to start looking for a pack in litres that is about half your ideal walking weight in kilograms for a summer walk. For autumn or spring walks, add 25%. Based on your height and weight, that would have been 46li for summer, 57li for spring/autumn. I think that those who make recommendations about pack size should also indicate their walking weight and the season they walked. Not all of us are short, svelte summer walkers.

You also have the challenge of carrying your CPAP, which doesn't seem to be that large in the photo, but the hose is bulky and the mask will need to be carefully packed.

That said, I agree with @Mark Lee that you could make some simple changes to your packing list that would start to make a difference.

One thing nobody mentioned was making sure to get a proper fit on the backpack. Your backpack must be fitted properly, whether it cost $50 or $500. Just Google "How to fit a backpack" and you'll see multiple video tutorials.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great suggestions Mark Lee ... Thank You. I was actually considering dumping a set of boots and the bedroll . I've read so many post saying that two sets were essential I bought two . The military canteens are actually made out of plastic , they are light (when empty) but ROCKS when filled . Might go the 1/2 liter route . All my clothes are quick dry .. no cotton . I considered not bring my CPAP as my apnea is moderate . Wifey said a sure way to walk alone is not to bring it (snoring ) .

I will sort and dump , but dump what I am not sure yet . I will know in 6 days
Wow, I wonder why anyone would think there was a need for two sets of boots to walk the Camino?
Anyway, you will love northern Spain.
Buen Camino.

I have sleep apnea and didn't take my machine on the Camino. It was sometimes tough, as a fellow hiker reported that I seemed to struggle a lot while sleeping (same nights as I had dreams of "drowning"). The snoring wasn't the issue; basic breathing was. But problems occurred only about 25% of the time. The rest was smooth sailing. And I lived to tell the tale. :)

Once you're in Europe Decathlon has a 10litre backpack for €4. Likely fine for your souvenirs. They also have plenty bigger ones for not much money if the 10l isn't big enough.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great suggestions Mark Lee ... Thank You. I was actually considering dumping a set of

If you don't bring stuff you can always pick it up in Spain.

Instead of flip flops for the shower Decathlon sells what they term beach sandals. €10 Might be a few cents less. Designed to get wet. You can even walk in them. Not my first choice for long walks but they're cheap. Light.

Hi to all!

We (me and my sister) both in our 30's are doing the Sarria - Santiago part of the camino next June ....

I am on a really tight budget and trying not to spend a lot on all the equipment! Because its a lot... the shoes, poles, pack, etc... not counting the flight from California :)

I tried on this Backpack from Walmart and LOVED it! felt really comfortable and its only $30 USD...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Wyndmere-28L-Backpack-Red/34456360?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=WM_Home_IRS_Spot_1&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=89303208208&client_guid=f73bca5c-c7b6-46d4-a83f-922951460ff3&config_id=6&parent_item_id=34456360,34456357,34456354,36606594,19886328&guid=eb20aae3-3201-405b-9935-96693520554d&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n
What do you all think?

Thanks for the help!

Yesi

Save a few bucks. I can't tell if your wyndmere pack has a frame. Get a good backpack that has a frame (external or internal). A good pack might cost more but saves in the long run even if only in terms of comfort ... you're going to carry this thing for over a hundred km.

If bucks are a real factor then I would suggest not carrying poles. You don't need them.

One small note on the inexpensive backpack, make sure you bring stuff to fix it - like zip ties/heavy duty thread with sewing needle/duct tape/lighter (melt tears to stop from fraying more). The problem with some inexpensive packs is that they are sometimes made with cheap materials that may or may not fail. But like xin loi said, the Kmart pack lasted a long time while the North Face one failed... one never knows. ;)

As it comes to size of pack, I guess it all depends - I have a 33L GoLite Jam backpack (which I love) and with all my stuff for 30 days (13.8 pounds), I have room to spare (and I'm leaving in two weeks, so I have warm cloths and should be fine up to -10C temps). Mind you, I don't have to bring a C-PAP machine :)

€83,-
Sorry for bumping this old thread, just would like to give you a piece of advice -- look at OTA 28L.

I am a 6-foot tall male, weighing 185 lbs and Ozark Trail Atka 28L fits just as well as other day packs I've tried.

This is almost a copy of the famed REI Flash 18 or 20L packs that cost three times this much.

This pack fits me fine and is very comfortable for lightweight loads. I use it as a day pack when doing multi-day hikes. It's light enough that I don't mind putting it in my backpack and it takes up almost no space at all. And on summit day, I sure am glad I have a daypack! For day hikes this is just as good as (and lighter than) my Osprey Daylite that retails for almost four times more.

Be aware, this is a daypack, intended for lighter loads and shorter distances. It isn't built to be on your back 8 hours a day, and it won't support 25 pounds. Used for its intended purpose, this is one of the best hiking/backpacking deals I've ever come across: https://getawaychief.com/budget-backpacking-pack/

Here's another AWESOME thing about the Ozark Trail Atka day pack. It's sized to fit every airline's carry-on size requirements. My son and daughter each took one of these on a trip through Europe and they carried it on every plane, train, and bus they rode without any problems. It's also small enough that it wasn't inconvenient for them to have it with them every day.

Unfortunately, it seems like Walmart is discontinuing it—but it is still available at Walmart.com.

If you're looking for a daypack or a carry-on that fits everywhere, this is the deal. Especially at the clearance price, you can get now.

I backpack in the backcountry of the Sierra Nevada. And I do day hikes in Sequoia National Park and on the coast.

So I have a hope my experience is useful to some pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.